BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

I thought that Frankie Fielding was the star man for the Rovers tonight. He made a string of excellent saves in the first half to keep the Rovers in the game. United's penalty seemed harsh at the time but, in truth, they dominated the opening half and but for Fielding they would have been out of sight by the interval.

In the second half we got to grips with things and deservedly took the lead. Hoilett, who was again a mixture of good and indifferent, threaded a super ball through for Roberts to run onto and beat the 'keeper. Hoilett then converted a penalty after being brought down.

Apart from Fielding, I thought Linganzi had another good game as did Morris on the left side of attack.

It was a fairly entertaining game and once we had gone 2-1 up we played some wonderful football, keeping possession and knocking it around very confidently. The late goal was unfortuanate but this was the best performance we have given since the end of the pre-season games.

Do we play the same style of football with the reserves?.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOLTON RESERVES: Lainton, Riley, Alonso, Bennett, Connolly, Blakeman, O'Halloran, Sheridan, Eaves, Rodrigo, Obadeyi

ROVERS RESERVES: Bunn, Chimbonda, O'Connor, Pearson, Hanley, Linganzi, Potts, Parry, McLaren, Hoilett, Morris

0-1 Potts.

BOLTON RESERVES: Lainton, Riley, Alonso, Bennett, Connolly, Blakeman, O'Halloran, Sheridan, Eaves, Rodrigo, Obadeyi

ROVERS RESERVES: Bunn, Chimbonda, O'Connor, Pearson, Hanley, Linganzi, Potts, Parry, McLaren, Hoilett, Morris

0-1 Potts.

Game ended 1-1 Bolton equalised near the end.

A very entertaining game at Leyland tonight and I guess that a draw was a very fair result - despite the fact that Bolton equalised virtually on full-time and immediately after Parry had been sent off for a second yellow card.

I thought Chimbonda, Linganzi and Parry were the pick of the Rovers team. It was also good to see Grant Hanley back after injury. Unfortunately, the Reserves are very much like the seniors at the moment in that we lack a cutting edge to finish off the excellent approach work. Once again, Junior Hoilett proved something of an enigma. There was one excellent run when he seemed to glide past defenders with ease but couldn't produce a finish. However, there were long periods when he seemed to struggle to get involved in the game. After an excellent pre-season it's something of a surprise that the second string still haven't won a League game.

I believe that next week's League game is a behind closed doors affair at Aston Villa. I really don't understand the philosophy of clubs keeping the public out of their matches. If League games aren't for spectators what's the point of them?

Bolton deserved their equaliser for their second half performance but for those who didnt go the reserves never played any hoof ball at all during the game.

Thought Hoilett when he came more into the middle left centre of midfield seemed to have a little bit more joy with his dribbling, taking on the opponents. Other than him didnt think there was anyone else looking likely that they could take on Bolton, though Linganzi stood out as a more than solid capable defensive midfielder who rarely put a pass wrong.

Cant say I'm impressed with Bunn he did make some good saves but his distribution let him down at times.

How did Morris do guys?

I thought he was steady without being outstanding. He has a good left foot which was again in evidence on set pieces. However, with Maclaren leading the line and Hoilett just behind it was a case of trying to play the ball through the defence rather than whipping in crosses. It would appear that the experiment of playing Morris at left-back seems to have come to an end now that he has been prompted to the senior squad.

Went down last night...

Chimbonda spent the majority of the 1st half moaning at Hanley and being generally awkward when asked to drop in by him...This guy is a bad influence and there is no mileage in playing him in a game like this..hes only taking the place of someone who could be getting experience.

Potts did well in patches

McLaren is lightweight and not good enough

Linganzi needs to play in the 1st team to see if he can do it....best player on the pitch last night

Josh Morris - Bits and pieces...needs to be consistent,...out of game for long periods

Junior Hoilett - Class act potentially...I just get the impression we don't know what to do with this type of player....he'll leave and do better somewhere else.

:brfc::rover:

Got this off the Arsenal site:

[b

The Premier League Board has also given approval for clubs’ training grounds to be used to stage fixtures. Consequently, Arsenal will be staging several home Premier Reserve League fixtures, as afternoon kick offs, at the London Colney Training Centre. Unfortunately, the Club is not permitted to allow supporters at this venue and therefore these home Reserves matches will be staged ‘behind closed doors’.

However, the Club hugely values the loyal following that has attended Reserve League matches at Barnet FC in recent years and we are keen to maintain opportunities for supporters to watch young talent developing in our Reserve team. Therefore, we have reached an agreement with Barnet FC to stage home Premier Reserve League matches at Underhill during months with more favourable weather - ie September, March and April, as well as any home FA Youth Cup matches in Rounds Three, Four and Five.[/i][/b]

I see it as poor form for them to have some of the games during the afternoon, I hope Rovers don't do this, can see this being the death of reserve football if it does happen!

Could it be that next weeks match (behind closed doors) is to play some potential signings, (or was this game always so?) Gouron and maybe others and don't want scouts from other clubs seeing what we have.

I don't know if this helps or not 67?

McLaren is lightweight and not good enough

:brfc::rover:

One of the daftest comments on here in a while.

1. First start at this level

2. He's 17 (pretty certain this is right)

3. He's been at the club less than a year

4. Only 2nd appearance at this level

5. As he's only 17 he will get stronger, he's bulked up since he first came to the club

6. Going to guess you haven't seen him much before this

7. The lad has been quality for the academy, full of energy, good finisher and seems to be a popular guy with the other players

Just give the lad a chance before writing him off

Could it be that next weeks match (behind closed doors) is to play some potential signings, (or was this game always so?) Gouron and maybe others and don't want scouts from other clubs seeing what we have.

No, it's the new rules that have been brought in this season to allow clubs to play Premier Reserve League games behind closed doors on midweek afternoons at the training grounds. I think all Villa's games are behind closed doors and most of the other clubs have arranged several games on a similar basis. I think that the Rovers are one of the few clubs to ensure all their home games are open to the public.

One of the daftest comments on here in a while.

1. First start at this level

2. He's 17 (pretty certain this is right)

3. He's been at the club less than a year

4. Only 2nd appearance at this level

5. As he's only 17 he will get stronger, he's bulked up since he first came to the club

6. Going to guess you haven't seen him much before this

7. The lad has been quality for the academy, full of energy, good finisher and seems to be a popular guy with the other players

Just give the lad a chance before writing him off

In your opinion....In my opinion he isn't good enough.

How did Morris do guys?

Second half he played directly in front of me and he did absolutely nothing for the whole of that half.

Morris never once took on his man in the second half unlike Hoilett, but hes a young lad, so could be a good lower league player in years to come but definitely not prem class though.

No, it's the new rules that have been brought in this season to allow clubs to play Premier Reserve League games behind closed doors on midweek afternoons at the training grounds. I think all Villa's games are behind closed doors and most of the other clubs have arranged several games on a similar basis. I think that the Rovers are one of the few clubs to ensure all their home games are open to the public.

OK, thanks.

Maybe Goulon has been and gone then, would have thought he may have got a run out last night.

Archived