BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

Two very young sides out and to be fair I thought Burnley adapted to the dreadful pitch better than the Rovers. Kean kept the Rovers in the game during the first half with several good saves. Blackman took his goals well but other chances went begging. Sadly, this was about the worst performance of the season by the Reserves with the usually reliable Jackson Ramm having a disappointing afternoon while Doran only sparked into life occasionally.

However, despite the disappointing result today, I think Iain Brunskill has done an excellent job with the Reserves this season and we have seen them produce some excellent football throughout the campaign.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Got this off the Arsenal site:

Southern Group

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Chelsea

West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Northern Group A

Bolton Wanderers

Manchester City

Manchester United

Newcastle United

Wigan Athletic

Northern Group B

Blackburn Rovers

Blackpool

Everton

Liverpool

Sunderland

The League format will result in teams in the Southern Group playing a total of 20 matches and teams in the two Northern Groups playing 19 matches each.

Each team will play home and away against the other teams in their group and once against all other teams (equally divided home and away).

The winners of the two Northern Groups will play off to determine the Northern League Winners.

The Northern League Winners will then play off against the Southern Group Winners to determine the Barclays Premier Reserve League Play Off Winners.

The Premier League Board has also given approval for clubs’ training grounds to be used to stage fixtures. Consequently, Arsenal will be staging several home Premier Reserve League fixtures, as afternoon kick offs, at the London Colney Training Centre. Unfortunately, the Club is not permitted to allow supporters at this venue and therefore these home Reserves matches will be staged ‘behind closed doors’.

However, the Club hugely values the loyal following that has attended Reserve League matches at Barnet FC in recent years and we are keen to maintain opportunities for supporters to watch young talent developing in our Reserve team. Therefore, we have reached an agreement with Barnet FC to stage home Premier Reserve League matches at Underhill during months with more favourable weather - ie September, March and April, as well as any home FA Youth Cup matches in Rounds Three, Four and Five.

I see it as poor form for them to have some of the games during the afternoon, I hope Rovers don't do this, can see this being the death of reserve football if it does happen!

Won't some teams in the northern group end up playing three away games against the teams in the other group??? That's not fair

I'd guess that they'd try and do it so the northern teams have 3 home and 3 away against the teams from the south. Then have 2 home and 2 away against other teams from the other northern group with the last team from the other group being a game either home or away!

That's what would make the most sense to me anyway so it probably won't happen :lol:

EDIT: having just re read your post this is what you meant sorry, but doesn't matter much if its going to be behind closed doors :angry2:

The Reserves got their season off to a winning start with a 3-0 win over Vauxhall Motors this afternoon. Goals from Zak Aley, Rodrigo Branco and Nick Blackman proved sufficient to win the match. I assume Branco is a trialist - wasn't there some mention of a Brazilian on trial? The lad partnered Blackman up front in this match.

Generally it was a convincing win on a difficult pitch. The Rovers missed a couple of good scoring opportunities as well as a second half penalty. Michael Potts caught the eye with an impressive performance in midfield and Zak Aley looked lively down the left wing. Micah Evans produced some decent touches as a second half substitute.

With regard to the restructuring of the Reserve League I suspect that the Premier League Board have had little option but to agree to games being moved to training grounds in the afternoon as I believe that several clubs were already doing that last season in the Southern section. I suspect the London clubs won't be too keen on travelling north to play in the evening and the likewise with northern clubs making the trip south. The Rovers, like most other Premier League clubs, play a number of friendly reserve games behind closed doors already. I suspect that if they hadn't agreed to these changes there may well have been more than five clubs who pulled out of the competition.

However, from a supporters point of view I would agree that aways games in London - either in the evening or afternoon - are not ideal. As someone who goes to the majority of Reserve games I suspect that I'll be going to very few away games this season.

was that not Rodrigo Araujo or something like that?

Blackburn Rovers have handed trials to Brazilian Rodrigo Araujo.

The Lancashire Telegraph says Brazilian defender Rodrigo Araujo, formerly of Portuguese side Boavista, is understood to have linked up with the Rovers squad in Austria on trial.

Araujo will be the first of several trialists to join Rovers in preseason.

This might be somebody else, so not sure.

Thanks for the report parsonblue! Any chance of the line up? I'm just interested, also we did have a brazilian on trial that was put in the news but thought he was a defender.

Line up as follows:

Jason Brown (Jake Kean 46); Jackson Ramm, John Flynn, Matty Pearson (Anthony O’Connor 46), Josh Morris; Callum O’Connor (Micah Evans 46), Jason Lowe (Andy Parry 68), Michael Potts (James Knowles 76), Zach Aley (Toni Vastic 76); Nick Blackman (Tom Hitchcock 72), Rodrigo Branco (Jamie McLaren 59).

I'm not sure if Branco is the Brazilian who has already been mentioned or not. However, he certainly didn't look like a defender and played as a striker on Saturday. Will be interesting to see if he plays at Kendal Town on Wednesday.

Line up as follows:

Jason Brown (Jake Kean 46); Jackson Ramm, John Flynn, Matty Pearson (Anthony O’Connor 46), Josh Morris; Callum O’Connor (Micah Evans 46), Jason Lowe (Andy Parry 68), Michael Potts (James Knowles 76), Zach Aley (Toni Vastic 76); Nick Blackman (Tom Hitchcock 72), Rodrigo Branco (Jamie McLaren 59).

I'm not sure if Branco is the Brazilian who has already been mentioned or not. However, he certainly didn't look like a defender and played as a striker on Saturday. Will be interesting to see if he plays at Kendal Town on Wednesday.

Think this confirms Brown could be on his way out if someone wants him!

Also take it Morris played midfield with C O'Connor at lb? Hope they keep Morris in midfield but have heard they want him to continue at LB

Think this confirms Brown could be on his way out if someone wants him!

Also take it Morris played midfield with C O'Connor at lb? Hope they keep Morris in midfield but have heard they want him to continue at LB

Callum O'Connor played on the right wing in the first half before being replaced by Evans. Morris played at left-back throughout the game.

Reserves won 3-2 tonight at Kendal Town. 3-0 up, 2 goals from Blackman who looked good. Kendal Town got 2, first a penalty given away by Zurab, then Zurab scored an own goal. Definitely a night to forget for him.

Thanks for that, decent game or not? Any idea on the other scorer?

Archived