BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did our first team players play and our new boys?

Reid seemed to just sit in front of the back four. Basturk didn't look match fit - struggled to get involved. Dunn showed the odd touch of quality - got taken off after about an hour - so assume he'll be involved on Sunday. Di Santo didn't do much at all, missed a sitter of a header early on. Hoilett looked head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch to me. Scored a header, had a shot pushed on to the bar, and caused them problems all night. Linganzi didn't do a lot to suggest he'll be pushing for the first team any time soon.

Even though Basturk wasn't fit was he able to find space for himself? Also how was his vision?

Cheers Leftwinger.

Baturk seemed to spend the game playing wide on the right and saw very little of the ball. There wasn't much opportunity to see what he still has left.

Forgot to mention that Reid nearly recreated his Wigan goal. A corner wasn't properly cleared, and was laid off to him on the edge of the area. He smashed a right foot shot, that a United defender just got out of the way of, that just swerved wide and luckily avoided hitting anyone in the crowd. Really powerful strike.

I'm still amazed that Oliver Norwood didn't see red for his challenge on Reid. Studs first, straight into his knee. The way Reid reacted showed how angry he was, and I don't blame him having spent so long injured.

Di Santo was the big disappointment me. Really struggled to make an impact after missing an early chance. His confidence is obviously very low - a goal would do him the world of good. I thought the young defenders also aqcuitted themselves quite well - Phil Jones looks like he has a chance. Rovers were much the better side in the first half, but they switched off just before half time, and Mame Diouf kept the ball in and crossed for De Laet to score. The second half never quite lived up to the first.

Even though Basturk wasn't fit was he able to find space for himself? Also how was his vision?

I must admit that I have been very impressed with Basturk in the three games he has featured in for the Reserves. He has good movement and gets in and around the penalty area in a similar manner to Dunn. Last night he seemed to be played in a wider role on the left. He is slowly building up his match fitness - last night being his first full 90 minutes. I would hope that in a week or two he might start to feature on the bench.

He has a good first touch and, like Tugay, always makes himself available to receive the ball, even when tightly marked. He has demonstrated a good range of passing so far although he didn't influence the game quite as much last night as in his first two appearances. However, with Reid and Dunn in midfield, the work could be shared around a bit more. Sadly, Linganzi had a disappointing night after his two previous good performances.

I thought Reid had a decent game last night, just sitting in front of the back four, and Handley continues to impress with Jones in the centre of defence, as does Jackson Ramm at full-back. Hoilett had an excellent game but, sadly, picked up an injury. His pace was a constant threat even if some of his decision making was a little lacking. At the moment he shows great potential but is still far from the finished article. Hopefully, he will sign but I suspect that will depend on the agenda of those who handle his affairs.

Di Santo looks like he badly needs a goal to give him some confidence in the area. He works hard but he simply doesn't convert the opportunities that come his way in front of goal.

It was a good attendance at Leigh last night but, not for the first time this season, the home fans were outnumbered by the away supporters.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived