BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

Hoilett, well what can you say, the guy was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. He looked dangerous everytime he was on the ball. Towards the end of the game he had three Everton players closing him down whenever he got the ball and they didn't usually get it.

I'd give him a start this weekend on the right and put Dioufy on the left.

I'm really keen for Hoilett to get a start in the Premiership too. I however don't think that Sam will give it to him this weekend against Arsenal as he will most probably go for Gamst because of the defensive work that he offers. Lets give the young lad consecutive games against the Dingles and Posh and if he plays well then he should keep the shirt.

Last night on MUTV I watched highlights of Rovers youngsters against Uniteds youngsters from weekend. The game finished 0-0, but from what I saw, the best player on the pitch was Jason Banton. He seemed to have a bit of pace about him, two footed, tricky and not afraid to take his man on. He reminded me a bit of Hoillet.

I know that Nicko believes that we rate him very highly. He's only 17 I think, but will no doubt be a permanent fixture with the reserves soon. If he can keep his temperament in check then he should go on to be cracking player.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as he will most probably go for Gamst because of the defensive work that he offers.

Can somebody please explain to me where all this exceelent defensive work from Pedersen is happening.

All I keep seeing is him drifting into the middle of midfield with a rare appearance wide on the left.

There where countless times at the weekend where Pedersen was nowhwere to be seen - even when Chimney bob had gone on one of his runs, and he is certainly very reluctant in putting in a tackle.

Just read the news on the official site about our reserve game against Everton and we have to be REALLY pleased with the sort of young talent we have at our club right now. For a club of our size, it's really nice to know we have all these players in our reserves:

Martin Olsson

Phil Jones

Gavin Gunning

Elrio van Heerden

Nikola Kalinic

Junior Hoilett

Aaron Doran

Kalinic and Hoilett are already in the first team, which is great, so I'm really excited about the club's future. I just hope we can get a commendable league finish this season, so we can push on and keep improving as a club.

Just read the news on the official site about our reserve game against Everton and we have to be REALLY pleased with the sort of young talent we have at our club right now. For a club of our size, it's really nice to know we have all these players in our reserves:

Martin Olsson

Phil Jones

Gavin Gunning

Elrio van Heerden

Nikola Kalinic

Junior Hoilett

Aaron Doran

Kalinic and Hoilett are already in the first team, which is great, so I'm really excited about the club's future. I just hope we can get a commendable league finish this season, so we can push on and keep improving as a club.

Agree with you there. Some very promising youngsters at the moment and Banton, Ramm and Lowe are also held in high regard...

Agree with you there. Some very promising youngsters at the moment and Banton, Ramm and Lowe are also held in high regard...

Marrow is supposed to be quality too. Treacy has done very well at Sheff Utd (although maybe long term injured?). Exciting times.....

I'm really keen for Hoilett to get a start in the Premiership too. I however don't think that Sam will give it to him this weekend against Arsenal as he will most probably go for Gamst because of the defensive work that he offers. Lets give the young lad consecutive games against the Dingles and Posh and if he plays well then he should keep the shirt.

Not so sure about that. We are going to be playing very deep against Arsenal and one of (maybe the only?) player we have who could hurt them on the break is Hoilett.

Has to start for me. Will be really disappointed if he doesn't.

Marrow is supposed to be quality too. Treacy has done very well at Sheff Utd (although maybe long term injured?). Exciting times.....

Not so sure about that. We are going to be playing very deep against Arsenal and one of (maybe the only?) player we have who could hurt them on the break is Hoilett.

Yeah I forgot about Marrow. Is he still doing well at Oldham?

You'll have to brace yourself then because he certainly won't start, he didn't even come on as a sub against Villa. The one change I can see happening is Emerton starting wide instead of Pedersen.

You'll have to brace yourself then because he certainly won't start, he didn't even come on as a sub against Villa. The one change I can see happening is Emerton starting wide instead of Pedersen.

The one change will probably be Emerton/Reid or Andrews in for Grella I'd imagine Le Chuck as he's suspended.

I'm hoping Gamst will be dropped, but I wouldn't count on it.

Hmmm. Well I would say it is pretty nailed on that Diouf will move left to take the Pedersen spot. Pedersen was poor for the second game running, Diouf excelled there. I am hoping Emerton will slip into Grella's holding role and Hoilett play wing. To me that by far makes more sense than bringing back Andrews and putting Emerton out there.

We need Emerton's athelticism in the middle and Hoilett's pace out wide. Not Andrews clumsiness in the middle and Emerton't perenniel duel with the touchline monster out wide.

I agree though that Sam bringing on Andrews against Villa when Grella came off does not bode well.

I don't agree with that at all. There was no reason for Allardyce to bring Hoilett on against Villa, and certainly not after Grella came off. We had a point at that time, against a club with top four ambitions. Of course Andrews came on when our central midfielder got sent off, we needed that body in there. You might as well get used to it, when things go our way we won't be playing our youngsters. When we struggle to score, Hoilett will come on, as he has done vs Man City, West Ham and Everton.

One might argue that us winning games should allow youngsters to get the last five or ten minutes, but the reality is that we need the points so badly, and the quality of our opposition doesn't allow us to relax for one minute. Wolves is perhaps the only exception, at 3-0 I was disappointed not to see Hoilett or Kalinic. Then again, Dunn/Roberts were playing some really good football and probably deserved to play the full ninety.

Squad for tonights home game against Wigan:-

Kean, Swann, C. O'Connor, Ramm, Hall, Gunning, Flynn, Parry, A. O'Connor, Morrissey, Lowe, Haworth, Potts, Bowen, Santa Cruz, Marshall, Hitchcock, Banton.

A very young team, no first team squad members is a bit of a surprise, I thought a few might have had a run out.

Anyone else bothering?

Den?

I need to put you right on a few points :D

Doran has joined Paul Ince on a one month loan deal:

Doran Joins MK Dons

Good to see him go on loan, but another month with Ince will probably ruin the lad!

Will do him good as Ince seemed to like him. Hopefully he will get some game time.

Kean, Swann, C. O'Connor, Ramm, Hall, Gunning, Flynn, Parry, A. O'Connor, Morrissey, Lowe, Haworth, Potts, Bowen, Santa Cruz, Marshall, Hitchcock, Banton.

A very young team, no first team squad members is a bit of a surprise, I thought a few might have had a run out.

Anyone else bothering?

Den?

Not bothering now iv seen the squad, was going to before as I expected to see Reid, Van Herden, Kalinic & Roberts to be involved.

Anyone else bothering?

Den?

Hmm. Not even jones playing. Interesting.

I suppose Reid and Van Heerden are away on international duty? Kalinic, Hoilett, Jones were all in the first team squad so maybe not around for prep before the game.

As for Roberts.... I feel there must be something going on there. Has not been seen for a couple of weeks now. Wonder if him and Sam have fallen out?

As for Roberts.... I feel there must be something going on there. Has not been seen for a couple of weeks now. Wonder if him and Sam have fallen out?

Sam said it was a lack of confidence.

JR was sat in the stands behind the subs yesterday too.

Weren't they a prog rock band in the 70's??

Sam said it was a lack of confidence.

JR was sat in the stands behind the subs yesterday too.

Was that his confidence or the fans confidence in him??

Rovers 2 Wigan 2

As the teams lined up I thought our lads looked young, then I looked at theirs and remarked to a Latics fan sat behind me that Wigan looked like a schoolboy eleven.

Not a game to remember and no stand out performers on either team with both teams consistent in giving the ball away.

While we had the majority of possession, playing lots of square and backwards passes around halfway, they had a team full of players that liked to run with the ball but usually tried to do too much.

Potts scored our first from the right hand corner of the area, he cut inside and shot across the keeper, the ball finding it's way into the far corner.

Wigan equalised soon after when the Wigan right winger somehow evaded challenges from Marshall and Hall, wriggling past them and putting in a cross. Keeper Kean dived full length to stop the cross but could only push it out straight to a Wigan striker who thumped it into the unguarded net.

Then whilst having my halftime pint in the concourse looking out at the pitch, I was asked to move by a steward. He told me that under Premier League rules anyone drinking alcohol must not be visible from the playing surface. What :!: I gave him some grief, at least it brightened the night up.

Rovers started the second half as they had in the first, hogging the ball. Santa Cruz made his only worthwhile contribution heading in a Marshall cross, unfortunately Marshall was deemed offside when he received the ball.

Wigan took the lead after a freekick was fired into the box from wide right, Kean came for the ball and despite it looking like an easy catch decided to punch the ball. It bounced down in the area and over a group of player, one of theirs reacted quickest and spun around and hooked the ball back to around the center spot. From there it was a replay of Nzonzi's goal on Sunday, a Wigan player got his head on the ball and it looped over a stranded Kean into an empty net.

For a spell it seemed to be all Wigan (even through my blue'n'white tinted spec's) until they had a player sent off for what could have been a late two footed lunge on Lowe.

Minutes from time Rovers fashioned an equaliser when two subs, Banton crossed from the left for Hicthcock to half volley home.

A draw being a fair result IMO. Wigan playing the more exiting football and Rovers appearing laboured most of the night, each team playing in the styles of their respective managers I suppose.

• Backroom

Then whilst having my halftime pint in the concourse looking out at the pitch, I was asked to move by a steward. He told me that under Premier League rules anyone drinking alcohol must not be visible from the playing surface. What :!: I gave him some grief, at least it brightened the night up.

He's right isn't he? I always thought that was the rule, or is that only when the game is on hence the blinds in executive boxes

• 3 weeks later...

Just watching the game now on TV. Kean, Ramm, Jones (I think started but Hanley now on) Gunning, Hall, Potts, Morrissey, Lowe, Haworth, Marshall, Santa Cruz

About 10 mins left I've been watching for last 20 mins. Midfield is very deep so Santa Cruz isolated up front but he is trying hard. We are defending alright at the minute. Banton and Hitchcock about to come on.

As I say this poor defending allows United to have 3 chances in a row leading to a corner, from which they score. Morrissey and Santa Cruz off

Archived