BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

I only watched a bit of this. Andy Howarth looked lively early on. Sammy McIllroy said he’s spoken to someone at Rovers and they rated Howarth very highly. Don’t think we ever stood a chance when United had players like Tosic and Obertan who they have paid big money for. We have actually got a good record away at United in the Reserve League. They said before the match last night that United had only won 2 of the last 10 meetings at home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A disappointing performance by the Reserves tonight. We improved in the second half with the introduction of Marcus Marshall and young Banton looked good when he came on late in the game. Phil Jones was excellent throughout and was undoubtedly our best player on the night. Fielding, who was captain, was a little erratic while Doran started quietly then improved in the second half before fading again. The front pairing of Santa Cruz and Rigters got little change out of a well organised Hull defence. Apart from Rigters, we had a very young side out tonight with no senior players or, indeed, apart from Jones and Doran, no fringe players. At the moment, young Jones is looking the best prospect in terms of progressing to the senior squad on a regular basis.

Went tonight, rather nippy and damp evening in North Ferriby. Closely contested match between two very evenly matched teams. That is testament to the lads as Hull had a few senior players on display and we didn't. Doran and Marshall were sharp whilst Jones was very composed. Also thought Gavin Gunning looked like a decent centre back. Good header of the ball and comfortable with the ball at his feet. Only goal came very early on, think we were a little slow off the mark. Dominated the second half though and forced the Hull City keeper into a few sharp saves.

I believe that Rigters may have another season after this one on his contract. I felt sure that I had read that he was given a four year deal when he arrived.

The reserve game was highly enjoyable last night despite the freezing fog. Both Phil Jones and Grant Handley caught the eye in the centre of defence while Marcus Marshall had another excellent game further forward. Hoilett looked impressive at times but is still very raw and there are aspects of his game, particularly when to pass the ball, that need work. However, it would be a major disappointment if he was to walk away from the club, particularly after all the effort that the Rovers have gone to with regard to work permit problems and finding him clubs to play for while it was sorted out.

If Sunderland had taken the chances they created, particularly in the first half, the outcome might have been different but I thought it was a much improved performance by the Rovers compared with the game at Hull last week. At the moment we are fielding a very young reserve team and it will be interesting to see how they develop. However, apart from Jones and Hoilett there are no players that one can see being promoted to the first team in the immediate future.

Can't find anything saying clearly he has been, the only part I can link together is that he has been called up to Northern Ireland Under 21's, by the time he can go back to them his month loan is up, so I guess it's less he has been recalled and more the fact his loan has just finished.

• 2 weeks later...

A decent crowd at Leigh last night, 1,115 - mainly City fans - but a pretty unimpressive match. City had a number of 'big' names playing but apart from Kompany - who looked a class act in midfield - they didn't really shine as one might expect. The first half was fairly even, with the Rovers going ahead from a header by Gunning following a corner by Olsson. City drew level virtually on half-time when Benjani - who looked totally disinterested for most of the match - pulled the ball back for Poole to score.

City had the better of the second half but a combination of good defending and poor finishing gained us a point.

For me, the pick of the Rovers team were Phil Jones and young Jackson Ramm. However, there were some pretty average performances by one or two who one had hoped would be making more of an impact at this stage. Frank Fielding was erratic in goal although, in fairness, he was struggling with an ankle problem for much of the match. Martin Olsson was given a run out in the centre of midfield but looked better when he drifted to the wide positions. The strike force of Santa Cruz and Rigters was, yet again, unimpressive. However, the biggest disappointments were the performances of Hoilett and Doran. Hoilett seemed to give the impression that he was going through the motions and was very poor, while Doran is struggling to find the form which took him into the first team last season. Hopefully this is a temporary dip in form but he has really struggled to make much impression with the Reserves this season. Perhaps he might be better being loaned out in January to get some more first team experience.

Apart from Phil Jones and Martin Olsson, it's difficult to see many of these youngsters progressing to first team level in the near future. In the longer term, young Ramm looks like he might have potential at right-back.

I'd just like to say I always really appreciate Parsonblue's reserve game reviews, they're terrific for those who can't make the game and come from someone who has an opinion I respect a lot, cheers mate from Shanghai. Also big up to Hollowsr and his academy reports, great work from the pair of you

I'd just like to say I always really appreciate Parsonblue's reserve game reviews, they're terrific for those who can't make the game and come from someone who has an opinion I respect a lot, cheers mate from Shanghai. Also big up to Hollowsr and his academy reports, great work from the pair of you

Cheers mate, nice to know they are appreciated!

• 2 months later...

Is this at Leigh? whats kick off time?

It is at Leigh and it's a 7pm kick off. I was thinking about going, but realised it's on tele, so might put my feet up with a couple of beers and watch it in the comfort of my own house. Really looking forward to seeing Basturk.

Archived