BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

Kalinic got away from Shittu (the best defender on the night) and was away, until hacked down. That was the best thing he did - just as he had that confidence - Emerton took the ball away, took 2 steps back and then fluffed a soft penalty.

Junior was our best player - always looking to run at them and always looking to make things happen

Both full-backs looked ok going forward (Olsson & Salgado) however they both got beaten so many times in defence. Riga got past Salgado far too easily and Ollson was beaten by that new winger Yong-Lee.

Brown - not good enough

Centre backs - did well in the air, but not to special on the ground.

Decent crowd there tonight. Oldhams management team were sat in the box just behind the academy players (where we were sat ha ha)

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that worries me about the reserve set-up now is that our Young Player of Last Season and much rated hope, Aaron Doran, seems to be standing still - as in, not progressing. Admittedly, he was recently injured, so that might explain him not playing in this game. However, he did well in his cameo senior appearances so it seems a shame that he's now sitting on the ressie bench. A loan move would be good - but he hasn't really had a chance to impress scouts.

Doran needs to beef up, he pussied out of 2 or 3 50/50 chances.............. he did ok with the ball but because he was on the left he was naturally always trying to come inside on his right. He was getting more and more into the game....however he really could do with that extra few pounds to add to the physical side of the game.

A disappointing performance tonight but not really surprising. It's amazing how performances tend to dip when the Reserve team is filled with senior players rather than a mixture of youth and experience. I thought Hoilett was the pick of our players by some way.

At the back, we missed Zurab who has the ability to nurse the likes of Jones and Gunning through a game. However, tonight was a steep learning curve for the two youngsters and hopefully they will have benefited from it. Olsson didn't have one of his better games tonight while Salgado doesn't look likely to dislodge Jacobsson from right-back. However, he looked better the further forward he got and it will be interesting to see if he is switched to midfield.

Both Emerton and Reid will benefit from the run out although still both look some way off full sharpness.

Both Kalinic and di Santo got little change out of Shittu, who was outstanding for Bolton. Clearly, Kalinic is going to take time to settle. A different country, culture and language is a lot for him to deal with while coming to terms with fitting into a new club. I think he should be given time to settle without too much pressure being put upon him the deliver instant results. I would look to him to make an impact later in the season.

Doran has not had the best of pre-seasons with the Reserves and his indifferent form continued tonight. However, he is a promising player but, like all youngsters, is suffering from inconsistency. I couldn't really argue with van Heerden or Hoilett being given preference on the flanks. As I said, Hoilett was the pick of our players while van Heerden, after a bright start, faded in the second half.

Not the best of nights for the Reserves, particularly as a number of these will no doubt be involved next Tuesday at Nottingham Forest.

Why did we spend all our money on someone who miles away from being in the first team? Obviously he needs time to bed in but I've still not seen or heard of anything of him to make me think he has any quality, I hoped we learnt our lesson after the Dutch striker. Starting to get the feeling we've found grabbi 2. Hope I'm wrong tho and he comes good

To be fair it looks like Kalanic is trying too hard, he had a few decent touches and laid the ball of neatly a few times but it just isn't happening for him at the moment. The same can be said for Di Danto as well, he wasn't any better than Kalanic.

I thought Emerton had a solid game, he looks fit and strong again and Hoilett looked the most dangerous out of the forward players.

I'm surprised about some of the comments about Salgado, I thought he did ok. The guy has played for Real Madrid for 10 years but he was very enthusiastic and you could hear him talking to the younger players throughout the game. Jacobsen is playing well at the moment so he won't get in ahead him but if he is called on he will do a good job.

Di Santo covers a lot of ground, but was offside too often and his touch deserted him in the second half, he looked like he'd rather be somewhere else to be honest

Strange Tris, I know I would love to be playing for Blackburn Reserves on a monday night ;)

These Chelsea players don't know how good they have it :P

Much like pre-season I don't think you can put to much on reserve games. Players who you would expect to run games at this level just don't seem to. Still it is another game for certain players to play together.

I wonder if Salgado ever had to defend at Real. Might explain his shortcomings.

Well he should have been - defending that is. That's been Real's achilles heel for year's. I still think that he'll come good and prove to be a shrewd bit of business.

With Kalinic however I think we're all going to need a lot of patience.

To be fair to Kalinic his control of the ball is very well, expecially on his chest - he can also shield the ball very well and hold it up to link others in. Its just when he shoots he seems to panic and try to hard.

He would of scored last night but for a poor foul by Shittu.

This is what I thought until Roberts popped into my head and I thought well Roberts wouldn't have scored so why do I think Kalinic would have? ;)

I think because Kalinic has a goalscoring pedigree and is just lightweight (as Sam has stated, going as far as to say he will need months to be ready), he will improve with time as he is young.

Roberts, not so much.

Impressed with Jones and Gunning at the back.

Really pleased to see Jones make the step up tonight, and interesting that he's done so ahead of Gunning who didn't play in the competition in his loan at Tranmere so did make it to the bench tonight.

At 17, there's a hell of a lot to be impressed by with Jones ... so hopefully much to look forward to as well.

Anyone going this afternoon?

2pm at Robin Park Arena, Wigan.

"The Latics are expecting to name a strong looking side with James McCarthy, Daniel DeRidder, Olivier Kapo and Rachid Bouaouzan likely to be in the starting line-up

Included in the team for sure will be trialist Modeste M`Bami who will feature in his 2nd reserve game has he attempts to earn a contract with the Latics following his release by French club Marseille in the summer"

Really pleased to see Jones make the step up tonight, and interesting that he's done so ahead of Gunning who didn't play in the competition in his loan at Tranmere so did make it to the bench tonight.

At 17, there's a hell of a lot to be impressed by with Jones ... so hopefully much to look forward to as well.

He was excellent. My only concern would be how quick he was to go to ground - you get away with that against a League One side, he'll need to be slightly more composed in the PL.

Anyone going this afternoon?

2pm at Robin Park Arena, Wigan.

"The Latics are expecting to name a strong looking side with James McCarthy, Daniel DeRidder, Olivier Kapo and Rachid Bouaouzan likely to be in the starting line-up

Included in the team for sure will be trialist Modeste M`Bami who will feature in his 2nd reserve game has he attempts to earn a contract with the Latics following his release by French club Marseille in the summer"

Lost 2-0 according to Wigan website, they had a few fringe players playing whilst ours were reserves and youngsters.

Ressies back in action tonight against Everton - anyone going to that one?

Reid, Hoilett, Kalnic, Van Herden, Doran, Jones, Ollson all included in the squad

Good game to see! Lots of talent in there. Hope they can make the step up. Love to see a thumping performance from all of them to give Sam a selection headache.

Best set of reseves in ages.

ps. Where is Roberts? Not in squad on Sat also not in ressies?

Archived