BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went down this lunchtime. It was a great game to go and watch, both teams with first teamers in along with youth made it a good tussle.

Junior's goal was great play by him. Their 1st equaliser came when Linganzi lost the ball it was played through Urwin started to come then stopped and it cost him. Junior then set up Goulan with a good run before pulling it back and Goulon slid in from 6yds out to put in. Dale's next goal was poor defending with their man batalling through to poke home before Mame Diouf got the winner after being fed through and he tucked the ball home.

Goulon looked really short of match fitness, had some nice touches though and passes and got forward a few times also, will be interesting to see how he goes on.

Junior mainly played up top or just in the whole behind Diouf. Goulon and Linganzi mainly sat, not Linganzi's best game I've seen from him. Doran was quiet mainly seemed unwilling to run at the full back a lot of the time. Morris was quality, especially 2nd half when he constantly ran at the full back and put some great crosses in.

First team training was going on out of sight but quite a lot kept coming down, Nzonzi and Benjani were there for quite a long time. Then Dunn, Jones, Diouf, Robinson, Andrews and Samba were all there for bits as well. Nelsen, Hanley and J.Santa Cruz were doing their own thing behind us with physio Dave Fevre for a while as well. Also interesting to see Jake Kean there as well as thought he was still at Hartlepool??

Thanks Hollowsr.

Hoilett interests me. There's something about him, even though he's done absolutely nothing yet. I think it's his movement, his close control, pace over the first couple of yards [i don't believe he's that quick over distance] and the way he always looks a threat. I posted on here after his second appearance [i think it was] about his poor decision making. If he can develop this side of his game, he stands a chance of making it in this league.

He must be fit enough to start so early on for the Reserves. Maybe he could break into our side sooner than expected.

He isn't quite ready for a full match yet. I liked what I saw of him, though will have to be a bit less enthusiastic or the card count might take a sudden hike! It was a good match yesterday, some good football. Tailed off a bit at the end and thought we might end up having to go to penalties but the lads managed to win through despite 'it was raining' taking' on a whole new meaning ...

Thanks Hollowsr.

Hoilett interests me. There's something about him, even though he's done absolutely nothing yet. I think it's his movement, his close control, pace over the first couple of yards [i don't believe he's that quick over distance] and the way he always looks a threat. I posted on here after his second appearance [i think it was] about his poor decision making. If he can develop this side of his game, he stands a chance of making it in this league.

Yes Den...I've seen him a lot in the reserves etc and I rate him....Sam doesn't seem to have a clue how to handle a player like this. I feel that our best 2 in a 4-4-2 would be Hoilett and Benjani(when in full flow) In my opinion this would be very direct, powerful and would push back the oppositions defence constantly....at the moment it's an easy day at the office for any centre halves against us...

I'd imagine that hoilett will do well in another team...he can't be happy constantly being overlooked.

Fully agree Den, I never see the reserves but it seems fairly common that we're told he plays well. I can't think of many worthwhile contributions he's made to the first team. You're right, he looks to have something, and reserve team reports back that up, just wish that we saw these qualities in the first team on occasion. There seems to be some kind of mental block when it comes to first team football and to those (eg Sparky) who say 'the only way to get over it is to play him', it's like playing with 10 when he's on the pitch and we can't afford that at the moment.

I think the problem with Hoilett, and it was evident at Brockhall yesterday, is that he drifts out of games for long periods. I also think that he lacks consistency in his play. While he is capable of making an excellent run and making chances, indeed of taking the odd chance himself, far too much of his work is wasted by the choices he makes on the pitch. All too often he will shoot when he is in a position to play somebody in or will pass when a shot is required.

There is absolutely no doubt about his talent but at the moment he seems unable to find the levels of consistency that are required. There have been reserve games this season when you've hardly known that he was on the pitch and yet there have also been moments of brilliance. Yesterday was one of his better performances but it was against a League One side made up of some squad players and a number of youngsters.

Great news about Goulon. Hollowsr or anyone else who has watched the reserves play, why the hell is J. Santa Cruz still with us? Sounds to me like he is not, never was and never will be good enough. Is this a remnant of his brothers deal that we are stuck with, are there no good academy prospects to take his spot, or are we unable to move him on? Or am I being too harsh on him?

Sam's misuse if hoilett means that whenever he does get on the pitch for the 1st team he's that scared shitless about making a mistake he'd rather not take responsibility...perhaps playing with a bit of fear....as we cannot seem to play 4-4-2 I fear we will lose him and he will make a decent career somewhere else...

I wondered that, too, Balwar. However, as he was training with Nelsen and Grant I assume he is coming back from injury? Hoilett - I think frustrating is the word I'd use. He undoubtedly has talent but as PB says, he drifts in and out. I really like the look of young Morris.

Sam's misuse if hoilett means that whenever he does get on the pitch for the 1st team he's that scared shitless about making a mistake he'd rather not take responsibility...perhaps playing with a bit of fear....as we cannot seem to play 4-4-2 I fear we will lose him and he will make a decent career somewhere else...

Every thread we have is becoming a target for the same old bias. It's ruining what could be a good discussion site.

You appear to the one with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears.

Really? You're the one who slams the manager for everything. The one who says every ball we play is up in the air. The one who can see no good in the manager at all. The one who comes into a debate about a reserve game and about Hoilett - one of quite a few of the kids that Allardyce has given a chance to - and who most on here praise the manager for doing, then back up the view that says because Hoilett hasn't performed as well as he might, that that's Allardyce's fault as well.

and I'm narrow minded. :lol:

Really? You're the one who slams the manager for everything. The one who says every ball we play is up in the air. The one who can see no good in the manager at all. The one who comes into a debate about a reserve game and about Hoilett - one of quite a few of the kids that Allardyce has given a chance to - and who most on here praise the manager for doing, then back up the view that says because Hoilett hasn't performed as well as he might, that that's Allardyce's fault as well.

and I'm narrow minded. :lol:

I'd love you to quote me on any of that. The fact you say I've blamed Sam for everything just betrays how one-sided you are towards the manager. Besides, it's only right that the manager bears a large slice of responsibility for where we are. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Unlike certain fans, I haven't been against Sam from day one. Sam likes to talk the talk, but this season he hasn't cut the mustard. Last week was the clincher for me. No shame losing at Anfield, of course, but the negativity was embarrassing and underlined Sam's lack of ambition. It's amazing that for someone who claims to be a forward-thinking coach our team plays like a bunch of cavemen.

As for Hoilett, I don't think he'll ever get a real chance under Big Sam unless the manager starts changing his mentality - when the circles of Hell become an ice-rink.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived