BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

In your opinion....In my opinion he isn't good enough.

Of the 7 points made, the first 4, arguably 5 were statements of fact. To dismiss the points made in the manner in which you have only undermines your point.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second half he played directly in front of me and he did absolutely nothing for the whole of that half.

Morris never once took on his man in the second half unlike Hoilett, but hes a young lad, so could be a good lower league player in years to come but definitely not prem class though.

I think it's too early to say with Morris. For much of the past twelve months he has been playing at left-back but has looked good in pre-season, particularly at Huddersfield, and in earlier Reserve matches now that he is back in midfield. So far this season, I would say that Morris has been more consistent than Hoilett in the Reserves. I would agree that Hoilett always looks dangerous when running at people but I'm not convinced about his decision making. There are times when he hangs onto the ball and on other occasions he looks to pass when he's better placed to shoot. I would agree with hollowsr with regard to Maclaren. I certainly don't think he's an out and out centre-forward and I was surprised that he got the nod ahead of Hitchcock last night, but he's very young and has time to develop - after all it was, I think, his first start at that level last night.

I understand what you mean T4E. :unsure:

I just think that he has no presence on the pitch, which is a problem.

You dismissed the 7 points he made as "opinion", when the majority were statements of fact he used to back up his opinion.

Does that mean he's asking too much or that we're even broker than we thought or have they lost the check book somewhere in the not happening takeover?

I don't think there are any snags. It's on schedule to be completed in next few days. As far as I am aware there is only some small financial print to sort, but nothing major.

I don't think there are any snags. It's on schedule to be completed in next few days. As far as I am aware there is only some small financial print to sort, but nothing major.

Any idea what role Sam sees for him nicko?

Given that it sounds like he wasn't short of offers in France, and with other interest from abroad, I guess he's coming in as an immediate first team player, rather than a 'slow burner' like Linganzi?

I think it's too early to say with Morris. For much of the past twelve months he has been playing at left-back but has looked good in pre-season, particularly at Huddersfield, and in earlier Reserve matches now that he is back in midfield. So far this season, I would say that Morris has been more consistent than Hoilett in the Reserves. I would agree that Hoilett always looks dangerous when running at people but I'm not convinced about his decision making. There are times when he hangs onto the ball and on other occasions he looks to pass when he's better placed to shoot. I would agree with hollowsr with regard to Maclaren. I certainly don't think he's an out and out centre-forward and I was surprised that he got the nod ahead of Hitchcock last night, but he's very young and has time to develop - after all it was, I think, his first start at that level last night.

Cant forget that Hoilett does have about four years experience over Morris, so to compare one another fairly would have to be in about four years time unfortunately life in football isnt like that.

Would have thought some one to one coaching with an attack minded coach should have the desired effect for young Hoilett. For me running with the ball taking players on and making an impact is an area Rovers are lacking in, so surely players like Hoilett should only be encouraged to do so whilst working on and adding that vital finish to their game.

Hanging onto the ball surely must be one of two things either he has his head down and cant see the field of play or his team mates arent making good positions.

As for Maclaren what a good experience it must have been for him and the Rovers management team by playing in an unusual position if this was the case and seeing what came of it. This was also very similar to when the young central midfielder who slipped back into the centre of defence after young Hanley had gone off.

Any idea what role Sam sees for him nicko?

Given that it sounds like he wasn't short of offers in France, and with other interest from abroad, I guess he's coming in as an immediate first team player, rather than a 'slow burner' like Linganzi?

Sounds like he is strong and big, but can make a pass as well as get around the pitch. Very positive reports from training on him.

You do seem to have a lot of 'physical' types in that department, but the word is he will be first-team material once fully fit.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he was on the bench pretty soon - and then ready to roll.

Thanks.

Sounds promising. We have players who can do some of those things, but I don't think we have anyone who combines all of those attributes.

I take heart from the fact that a few sources describe him as being able to play attacking midfield. I don't think he'll play there but it at least means he must have decent technical ability.

I understand what you mean T4E. :unsure:

I just think that he has no presence on the pitch, which is a problem.

Sorry for dragging this on but I like this about him in some ways. He pops up with goals (13 appearances for the Academy, 6 goals) when I first saw him he reminded me of Dickov in a way. Tenacious, never gives up, but a better finisher. Obviously I may not have seen the same games as you as I haven't been able to see them in a while.

enough to know that he isn't good enough for the premier league now or anytime in the future.

At 17 that is a sweeping statement, maybe you could say he is not ready now, but anytime in the future is a major statement.

Players mature at different ages, growth, concentration levels, consistency can have a dramatic effect on a players progress, think we should wait a little while first before we write him off.

• 2 weeks later...

A very entertaining game at Leigh tonight and probably just about the right result. Both sides had spells when they were in control and during the opening period Liverpool raced to a 2-0 lead. The Rovers' youngsters pulled a goal back thanks to an excellent free-kick from Josh Morris before Junior Hoilett equalised when he was on the spot to capitalise after good work from Jackson Ramm. Almost immediately the Rovers took an unlikely lead when Matty Pearson forced the ball home from a corner. Sadly, not for the first time this season, the Reserves were hit by a late goal that denied them their first win of the season.

There were several good performances tonight. Matty Pearson was excellent at centre-back while Amine Linganzi continues to impress in midfield although he was a little erratic at times tonight. Josh Morris caught the eye at on the left on occasions and Mark Bunn made some decent saves when we came under pressure.

Like the first team, we seem to lack a cutting edge at times with Hoilett again drifting in and out of the game without really making his mark. Grant Hanley is still feeling his way back after his lengthy injury problems and the same could be said of Aaron Doran who is struggling to recapture the form he showed eighteen months ago.

I watched the game on scouse TV last night and I have to be impressed with the way we kept the ball at times, totally the opposite of the 1st team. Linganzi and Hoilett should both be in the 1st team based on current form...Linganzi has a nice way about him, cool and looks after the ball well....Hoilett's direct play would give us an extra dimension in attack.

• Backroom

It's odd it seems Linganzi has been doing well all season in the reserves but only gets fleeting opportunities in the full squad even with a depleted midfield. Yet Nzonzi and Jones were thrust in at a young age.

How old is the lad?

With Samba out, and possibly Nelsen - maybe we get to see Linganzi in midfield, Jones in central defence v Liverpool?

Seems like young Hoilett has started to perform better in the Reserves, now he needs to continue doing well there, he'll then get his chance again.

• Backroom

I was hoping to get down today but couldn't because of work, did anyone go?

The midfield of Goulan and Linganzi along with Junior interests me the most.

I'm wondering if anyone who watches the reserves often can answer this: what style of play do the reserve teams play? Are they similar to the first team's hoof it and score from a set piece or do they actually play football on the ground?

They play much more football and nowhere near as much hoof. They even take short throw ins and the occasional short free kick:lol:

Archived