BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lt

According to our local paper Ginger Megson "excepts" criticism from Bolton fans after Saturday's game! I know there is nothing in there related to Rovers that isn't days old but can nobody even write English anymore? Isn't there a sub-editor or somebody who's supposed to check? The paper has gone to the dogs.

coverage may have improved content-wise, but I have spotted MANY grammar errors, spelling mistakes and accidental repetition of the same word within a space of 3 words.

Online editions of every newspaper generally contain more errors/mistakes than the paper editions do. Not sure whether it's down to the editors having a lot to do or if it's because it's more important to get the news out as fast as possible (as anyone else can publish the same story at any time) making the editing process a bit sloppy. Or both...

The spelling is abysmal in the LT.

A sample of last night's 'Mardle on the ocre', instead of Mardle on the oche' and this was a headline.

There were others I spotted in other pieces, I can only put it down to tighter deadlines since the morning edition was introduced.

1. Spell checks take away the need for any thought.

2. Basic educational standards have fallen without a doubt.

but mostly

3. Dismissing employees for incompetence and sub standard work is unreasonably difficult and usually very costly.

I remember reading somthing in the LT a few weeks back that Rovers won the title in 1993-1994. I also find it quite bad that the people who buy the old fashioned paper version are subjected to a 40p charge.

Newspaper managements in their latest attempts to cut costs have decided to get rid of sub-editors.

The result is evident in the LET : most copy now goes in the paper unchecked for spelling errors, grammar or factual content.

It's also happening in national newspapers - sections of the Daily Telegraph now contain raw reporter's copy that has gone straight into the paper "unsubbed".

The howlers in the LET will continue but the management doesn't care.

Sad state of affairs.

It's also happening in national newspapers - sections of the Daily Telegraph now contain raw reporter's copy that has gone straight into the paper "unsubbed".

Hows this for lazy journalism. I'm sure that this piccy by somebody called Paul Ellis in the Observer report would have been far more effective taken from the other side.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/au...y-sports-direct

Exactly. Another know nothing bast from 'drog!

Oi Fatty! What would you do without me to complain about? :P

It really isnt.

As long as you make sure that certain things are done, in common decency.

You would say that. Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned sacking imo.

Seriously though Stu employing people is the single worst aspect of any business. Hiding to nothing springs to mind for most employers. That and the H&S implications are why so much industry has departed these shores... and that does not benefit the workforce one jot or iota.

Also and this is something that you might not have considered coming from your side of the fence.... to get rid of somebody for whatever reason, unless gross misconduct or similar is involved, takes months of plotting and planning which the employer really must never be gone back on. Ultimately it's not nice for the employee and also a complete waste of their time, but it's also not nice either for the person planning the dismissal. It involves a devious and heartless route to the inevitable outcome in order to avoid the comapny paying out thousands in one way or another. Nothing like as clean and honest as the old fashioned 'collect your cards on the way out' approach of the past.

Another mistake on the back page today.

Salagado relishing english test!!

Story continues on page 47.....

Or maybe page 45 would be correct!!!

There was something similar in the Observer last week. They had a teaser title and said see page 8, but it was on page 10!

2. Basic educational standards have fallen without a doubt.

but mostly

Without doubt!!!

I've just sold my chemistry books from the early 90's to a kid who did his A levels two years ago. Why because they contain all the info from his first year at university. :o;)

Hey Ho! I don't suppose in this day and age of spelling & grammar checking we can really expect everyone to be completely literate. We're all too reliant on our computers to point out our mistakes.

I don't suppose it's any different in the world of the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, or any other local paper.

The one thing that struck me when I was involved in the legalities and niceties of road traffic signs via "The Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions 2001" was how often the local papers took the side of the local "soap box" who was throwing a fit about some detail. I remember one in the Manchester Evening News where some bloke out in rural Oldham (yes, it has lots of rural) was complaining about too many road signs for a one way system in Uppermill. The MEN duely reported it, with pictures of offending traffic signs. Neither the local "soap box" nor the MEN reporter noticed that all the said signs were not legal anyway.

With deference to the reporter s/he probably didn't have the time to check on the legislation.

I've got my anorak off nowadays.

"Duely", Mr C?

Spelling matters, surely? It shows care and diligence. I never use a computer to check my spelling for me. I probably do make the odd mistake, but then I'm not a journalist. I think newspapers should be exemplars of good spelling, after all, the printed word is their stock-in-trade. Where they lead, others could well follow.

I just think it's sloppy. If it doesn't matter any more, is the OED now nothing more than a rough guide?

People drop the odd ricket in any work context but the habitual inability to spell basic words and select the right words for the intended meaning does not a good impression make.

"Duely", Mr C?

OK Mr B, you've got me "bang to rights." (Full stop inside the quotation marks.)

I was just trying to play my usual Devil's Advocate. On reflection though, if you're going to be a journalist you need some decent English language skills.

Cheers

Colin

Archived