BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is Thatcher A Rover?

I interrupt my dissertation to ask this question. Also, this genuinely isn't an attempt to engineer some Labour-Tory discussion...

I remember her name being listed as an 'Honorary Vice-President' or some such title along with Jack Straw from when I used to buy the match day programmes.

But the Official Burnley website, under their 'Famous Fans' section, specifically says she puts whatever depth of footballing-affinity she has to Rovers.

Was this Jack's doing?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe it came about during the time of former chairman Bill Fox.

Fox was against the development of a Premier League, or any other breakaway league.

He therefore contacted Thatcher to back his campaign, which she did, and in return she was given the title as a way of thanks.

To his eternal shame, Jack Walker besmirched the name of our beloved club by ludicrously bestowing on Thatcher the title of Hon.vice-president of BRFC.

All things considered, Walker has done so much for the club that "eternal shame" should never be used in the same sentence as "Jack Walker".

As an American in Arizona, I can tell you that Margaret Thatcher was and is very popular in these parts.

As an American in Arizona, I can tell you that Margaret Thatcher was and is very popular in these parts.

Not surprising in one of the rightwing redneck states.

But you weren't being hit by a handbag for 11 tortuous years.

She's all yours, completely off her trolley with appalling offspring.

One of the greatest Britains of all time. 10 times the leader that Blair was. At least she had a vision, she wasn't spinning from one photo opportunity to another.

What was the vision?

It looked just as tawdry, pointless and enormously hated, in 1992 as Blair's 1997 vision does now.

She was a neccessary evil - the Unions were out of control. But apart from that what did she really achieve? She would have lost in 1982 but for the Falklands. She opened up Britian as a finance centre, and massively increased middle class prosperity - but if these are your markers Blair and Brown did just as good a job.

A massively divisive person who is despised by around half the population of the country...

Not surprising in one of the rightwing redneck states.

In these parts, its cowboy, not redneck. Same difference, except that we tend to be more polite and better shots than your typical redneck.

And we are also becoming a huge football state. I think its because we are sunny year round, but kids everywhere are playing with football balls in the parks, streets and yards. Bodes well for this right wing state actually making waves in the football/football world over the next decade or two.

Archived