BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Deal For Samba

Good to see that only one of our four biggest earners is actually really certain to start if everyone is fit.

Two, surely.

Nelsen got a pay hike because there was interest in him at the time and he would have been a loss.

McCarthy came on good terms because he was a top catch at the time.

Salgado came on a free, but at this rate is not exactly earning his dough. Needs to do that soon, you would think.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I understand why all of them are getting what they are getting (with the exception of Salgado, who continues to look unnecessary).

I'm just not sure if we had a full-time left back whether Nelsen would be chosen ahead of Givet? Especially if you took the captain's armband away from him, which often seems to be one of the major arguments for including him.

If I were picking the side 3 would be involved.

Fantastic news.

Its a win-win situation for us.

We keep a player that has been fantastic for us and gives his all every time on the pitch, he is also young (defenders usually peak early to mid 30's) so there may be room for further improvement. It also means that if there is strong interest in him then we should get a higher price for him.

I'm huge fan of Chris, if anyone kept us up last season it was him when he fought and battled up front in an emergency role.

Well done to the club! :brfc:

Good news, as stated by RibbleValleyRover.

I think some members on here undervalue Samba's role at the club (it appears some fans are very hard to please). However, his contribution was vital last season, and his assists/goals/form was a major reason we retained our PL status.

Granted he still makes mistakes and is a bit raw, but he is also one of the few quality players we have left on our books.

Big Chris was already deeply in contract...so the only reason to give him a rise was because he felt he deserved one - a year after the previous renewal.

It's a very significant signing for several reasons.

1 - he stamped his feet because he felt some team-mates were on more than nim and was quickly looked after.

2 - he won't be the first to try that move in the coming months.

3 - he is clearly rated the most important player in the squad because of 1 and 2.

Firstly Awesome news, Big Chris is a integral part of our team. I'm pleased we've covered ourselves with this.

Curiously Nicko when you say he won't be the first who are the others?? I'm struggling to think who actually deserves a pay-rise besides him?

• Backroom

Or perhaps he was an ill-thought-through, needless purchase to satisfy an out-of-control ego...?

Nah, can't be that.

I think people are getting tired of your crusade Spencey.. I know I certainly am!

Or perhaps he was an ill-thought-through, needless purchase to satisfy an out-of-control ego...?

Nah, can't be that.

Or perhaps he was a marquee signing in order to state his ambition as to the status and calibre of player he was after. Or perhaps to continue the connection with Real Madrid that served him so well at Bolton (Campo and Hierro, anyone?).

That's good news, just hope it's not a case of; get him to sign a new contract and get more money in the summer type thing.

After all; Roque signed a new contract with us at the start of last season and we all know how that turned out :huh:

That's what I'm thinking. He's been a great signing for us and fully deserves a new contract. It goes to show that good players can still be found, if you look around and give them a chance. I really hope that he's the rock which our defence is built on for the next couple of years. But as you say, it could be a case of getting in to sign now, so we can get a big transfer fee in the future.

Chris Samba is the most important player at our club, no question.

he epitomizes everything that I as a fan can relate to in players that play for the club I support. If we had more players like him who clearly demonstrated the passion and desire to see this club succeed, we would be higher up the league, no question.

we may have less quality in the squad than some, but as long as the players give their all, who can argue.

most important signing this season

Or perhaps he was a marquee signing in order to state his ambition as to the status and calibre of player he was after. Or perhaps to continue the connection with Real Madrid that served him so well at Bolton (Campo and Hierro, anyone?).

Nah, can't be that.

So, Spencey (aged 7 1/2) decides to try to turn this thread into an anti Sam thread.

Hopefully when he grows up he'll become a Rovers fan.

2 - he won't be the first to try that move in the coming months.

Similarly to what Theno pointed out and what Majiball asked, but who are the others? Asides from players out of contract? If I were John Williams and I had EDH and Roberts knowcking on my door (just two senior examples as I didn't want to use players out of contract) then I'd have a bleddy good laugh if they tried.

Nah, can't be that.

Quite possibly spencey. I rem these pages at the time re: salgado signing so I cannot decide whether you are talking about Nicko or Sam? Both seemed fairly intent in swaying the opinion of the board.

Not the time to question motivations IMO. Chris signing a new 4 year deal has to be the best of news for us.

Well done JW, the wages bill is creaking under the collective strain yet he still finds cash to sort this out. Nice one.

I'll be chanting Samba's name at the next match :rover::brfcsmilie::D

Not the time to question motivations IMO. Chris signing a new 4 year deal has to be the best of news for us.

Well done JW, the wages bill is creaking under the collective strain yet he still finds cash to sort this out. Nice one.

I wonder if Reid thinks the same? :huh:

Doubt very much that QPR are paying his wages....its more to our benefit I think and therefore he will of gone out on a free, with minimal if any wages being picked up by them

a majority of loan deals involve the club pay all or a majority of the loanee's wages. I appreciate it could well be for our benifit but QPR will be looking after a good slice of his pay. It's a decent loan signing for them, worth a few quid on a temp basis.

a majority of loan deals involve the club pay all or a majority of the loanee's wages. I appreciate it could well be for our benifit but QPR will be looking after a good slice of his pay. It's a decent loan signing for them, worth a few quid on a temp basis.

Based on his injuries....our need for him to prove himself & get fit....and the fact that Reid earns £30k+ a week, id be very suprised if they are picking up the majority of his wages. Id be suprised if they are paying £10k a week of his wages.

At least his performacnes have merited a new contract.

I dont see any other players performing at such a standard that would guarantee a pay rise justification.

Which performances would that be? The one bit of trickery in the Portsmouth game, his goal against Villa but then again all our regular defenders have scored important goals this season and have performed just as well, Givet, Chimbonda, Nelsen.

Am I the only one who thinks he is over-rated and his performances this season have been average. The reason I think that is because a few games this season spring to mind, Everton game he just didn't close down a cross from which they scored, he failed to close down O'Hara last week and turned his back on the ball but he gets MOTM, watch the Utd highlights again and for both their goals tell me please who he was marking?

Anyways other than that, I'm delighted that he's signed a new deal, he's handy in front of goal, probably the best all-rounder in the team, I just disagree with what you said implying that he has been the best performer this season that's all.

Which performances would that be? The one bit of trickery in the Portsmouth game, his goal against Villa but then again all our regular defenders have scored important goals this season and have performed just as well, Givet, Chimbonda, Nelsen.

Am I the only one who thinks he is over-rated and his performances this season have been average. The reason I think that is because a few games this season spring to mind, Everton game he just didn't close down a cross from which they scored, he failed to close down O'Hara last week and turned his back on the ball but he gets MOTM, watch the Utd highlights again and for both their goals tell me please who he was marking?

Anyways other than that, I'm delighted that he's signed a new deal, he's handy in front of goal, probably the best all-rounder in the team, I just disagree with what you said implying that he has been the best performer this season that's all.

Who's said he's the best performer this season? All we are saying is that he deserves his new contract and we are happy that he has signed.

Out of the three defenders you mentioned, two of them at this moment in time have no right to a new contract as they have only signed in recent months!

We can pick faults with all of our squad, if any one of them didn't put a foot wrong all season they'd be off to a bigger club in the transfer window.

Who's said he's the best performer this season?

At least his performacnes have merited a new contract.

1864 didn't say he's been the best performer that is why I said...........implying

I just disagree with what you said implying that he has been the best performer this season

To me, that means he thinks he's been the one player who has deserved a new contract just on the basis of his performances, basically implying he has been the best performer that's how I interpreted it anyway and in all honestly I don't think his performances have been great but like I said I'm delighted with the signing.

Samba to get the winner against Bolton ;)

Archived