BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2010

Iceman

We landed in Cape Town yesterday morning, and from the moment we stepped off the plane the vuvuzelas were in evidence - they are everywhere and it's fantastic. People have them on the streets, in their cars, vans, shops ... in the bars - it is creating a brilliant and fun atmostphere, and will define South Africa 2010 I think. Even the train driver was joining in every time the train pulled into a station on the way to central CT.

We brought ear protectors for the games, but didn't use them last night at France v Uruguay, and again the atmosphere in the stadium was great. With apologies to those who don't like the noise they make, here's a flavour of the fun ...

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

See this is exactly what I was saying, they are part of the atmosphere and flavour of the tournament and must create a great carnival atmosphere in the stands.

Have a blast Tris and bring me one back to annoy No1 :P

I can't decide what's worse, the vuvenzelas or Clive Tyldsley. Both make an annoying constant noise that defens you.

And as for those who say the horns should be appreciated and loved because its part of South African culture, I say rubbish. Paedophilia is part of Pitcairn Island's culture, it doesn't make it right to knock off a 12 year old.

I said restrict their use, not ban. It would be nice to hear the crowd for a change, one of the things I like about World Cups is that each match usually has a fairly unique atmosphere because of the different ways nations support their teams. With these each match is the same, just a constant buzzing noise.

Obviously South Africans could do whatever they want in their games, but maybe they shouldn't be allowed to do it as much during other matches.

It's not going to annoy me that much as I'll be watching all our games in a pub (or tonight - giant screen at a festival!) so there will be an atmosphere, but it is spoiling my enjoyment of these opening games.

I kind of agree with this. I think having them when a goal is scored, in the few moments when the game kicks off or something similar would really make them a valuable and unique addition to the tournament without being irritating, but it's their incessant use which is a problem.

Imagine the facebook campaigns if someone tries to ban something of our culture in the Olympics

EXACTLY.

Their Tournament, their noise.

Besides, nearly every game so far has shown other fans with these horns (England included), so it must not be annoying inside the ground.

A lot of talk about the problems with the balls they are using, I myself have'nt noticed any extra movement of the ball in the air, the only thing that I have noticed which nearly all the teams and I suspect the the goalkeepers too havent got to grips with is the pace of the ball and the bounce off the turf.

This world cup is going to be contested by the teams that can keep the ball down on the deck and play a short passing game, when England play 4.4.2 they tend to pump the ball up to Heskey and play off that, this is the wrong tactic for this world cup and im wondering how long its going to take Capello to change to a 4.5.1. possesion game.

All the camera angles for Greens blunder were focussed on seeing if the ball moved left or right, even the keepers are convinced its moving in the air, after witnessing another bad keeper error today I would say its the zip off the pitch speeding up the ball that they are struggling with.

I find it quite funny when a goal's scored and, rather than your typical cheering, you hear this massive wasp-like drony noise... They're very annoying at first, but you get used to it. People are making may way too much of the issue and I think it's pretty stupid that people are actually turning off their TVs because of it.

I find it quite funny when a goal's scored and, rather than your typical cheering, you hear this massive wasp-like drony noise... They're very annoying at first, but you get used to it. People are making may way too much of the issue and I think it's pretty stupid that people are actually turning off their TVs because of it.

No wonder they turn off TCJ..... It must be aggravating continually being woken up.

I cant comment on the actual noise from inside the stadium because im not there but I have seen so many players complaining about mistakes on the pitch due to them not being able to hear their teammates, would anybody there be able to verify this as being a possibility?

And just incase you people out there watching live are wondering what the fuss is about, on tv the only fans I have heard so far were England and there brass band but only just over the angry wasps, actually I think the bbc have found some way of nulling them down a little unfortunately for us is that itv seem to have a lot more matches at the moment

For God's sake, where are all the chances, shots, and goals?! A lot of these games have been pretty drab so far, and I missed the only high scoring one last night!

You'd expect Holland of all the teams to create a whole host of chances, but they've been pretty average so far.

For God's sake, where are all the chances, shots, and goals?! A lot of these games have been pretty drab so far, and I missed the only high scoring one last night!

You'd expect Holland of all the teams to create a whole host of chances, but they've been pretty average so far.

Fear of losing the first game could be playing a major part in the matches so far. If this is the case then i would expect sides to go for it more when they play their second match.

Fear of losing the first game could be playing a major part in the matches so far. If this is the case then i would expect sides to go for it more when they play their second match.

Agreed, I think teams have generally played very cautiously so far.

This Elijah(sp) guy for Holland looks an exciting prospect.

Only game so far that has excited me one bit was the Germany game. The Argentina game showed glimpses of the talent they have but the Germans put in the more dominant performance of the two.

Going off the evidence so far i would say Germany have been the best side followed by Argentina and then Ghana or South Korea. Still very early though as Spain, Italy and Brazil yet to play their first games though.

Like i mentioned earlier i think first game nerves have really had an impact on most teams this particular tournament. There is a combination of fearing losing the first game means we could go home and the need not to peak too soon. How many times have we seen a side brilliant from the start ending up winning the trophy, more often than not its sides that show a gradual improvement that end up winning it.

Archived