BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2010

Iceman

Love this by Maradona!!!

Argentina coach Diego Maradona:

"Regarding Michel Platini, I always had a very distant relationship with him - hello and goodbye. We know how the French are and Platini is French and he thinks of himself as being more than the rest of the world. I've never paid him any attention and I won't do it now."

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say though, I'm starting to buy into the suspicions over the ball. It's inconceivable that so many top players have produced nothing but balloon shots over the bar time and time again. Through balls are like a puck on ice, get away from the attacker every single time. And attacking players in general are afraid to try and dribble past defenders because they know how easily it can get away from them. Hence why almost all teams have sat back as much as possible playing simple defensive passive games, with the opposition unwilling to challenge them for fear of being caught out of position.

Again, hopefully now that a number of teams know they absolutely must win their 2nd games things will open up a bit, but the situation doesn't look too good so far.

perhaps I am getting old but this World Cup is becoming boring for me. I am sure lots of youngsters are enthralled by the events in South Africa but lack of goals, lack of atmosphere, odd ball, lack of excitement, excessive noise from those stupid horns do not make for great interest.Because its South Africa everyone seems to be rooting for them and we are expected to buy into this.I am more interested in the fixtures for next season coming out tomorrow!

Without discussing the rights or wrongs of Robbie Earle "giving" away his tickets I was a touch gobsmacked to discover his allocation of tickets for friends and family was 150 tickets. If a third rate pundit gets 150 freebies how many do the supposedly important people get? Ridiculous.

As with any big event a rather high proportion do get given over to corporate/sponsors. However some have been putting them to good use. I was talking to a fella whi works in an orphanage on bus to the game this morning. he was saying how hyundi have given them 50 tickets for each game in joburg which means that all the kids will get to see 2 games. Mjay be a one off, but still a nice story.

I know this has probably been address somewhere before ... blah blah blah and much as I would like to go trawling through pages and pages of posts looking for the answer, thought the quickest route would be to ask it anyway.

Which Rovers players are in the World Cup

I know of only Nelson (NZ) and Emerton/Grella (Aus)

Anyone else?

Absolutely Tremendous what great spirit... What a World Cup when teams like New Zealand, Switzerland, Algeria and Peoples Republic of Korea can come up with such performances.. bar the England game I'm starting to thoroughly enjoy this Competition .. the USA v Slovenia game had me on the edge of my seat... even though the Ref did his best to ruin it.... And then the French Squad Implodes ... Brilliant!

Cant help but feel that some of the north west boys, scousers in particular, simply just dont get on with their London colleagues going off the body language seen so far.

By housing them together for along period of time just isnt making the situation any better, and it wont, until the individuals concerned are replaced which isnt going to happen until one or two retire from International football.

Can easily see Terry, Lampard, Cole and few other London boys (Pyscho) versus Gerrard, Rooney, Carragher and co......not pretty but the fight is definitely on in that England camp.

There is an assumption that somehow "normal service" will be resumed in the third round of Group stage matches and the European giants will prevail.

To the contrary, looking at the tables and remaining matches, the following line-up in the last 16 can by no means be rued out:

Uruguay v South Korea

Mexico v Argentina

Slovenia v Serbia

USA v Ghana

Netherlands v Slovakia

Japan v Paraguay

Brazil v Switzerland

Portugal v Chile

In fact there is only one somewhat unlikely result needed to produce that outcome- Slovakia beating Italy.

Draws for England, Germany and Spain probably mean goodbye Jo'burg for each of those three countries.

In fact there is only one somewhat unlikely result needed to produce that outcome- Slovakia beating Italy.

Draws for England, Germany and Spain probably mean goodbye Jo'burg for each of those three countries.

Yeah I was going to come into this thread to pretty much post the same.

England's game may be a pretty much must win against Slovenia. England have been poor but looking at it objectively the chances of us winning should be more than 50-50.

Germany's game against Ghana is (I think) a mathematical must-win unless Australia beat Serbia, in which case Germany's superior GD will likely win out and the Aussies will curse that Cahill (and to a lesser extent the Kewell) refereeing decision even more. While the Germans looked good in the first game, there's at least as much big tournament experience in the Ghanaian side and without Klose the Germans could struggle.

Spain really need to beat Chile as the Swiss will more than likely beat a poor Honduran team. Chile are a strong side and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this ends as a draw, especially given Spain's failure to land the killer punch so far this WC.

Italy probably have the easiest task, Slovakia are the weakest team out of the four that these teams are playing. Also even with a draw they have a more than 50% chance of going through, given NZ need to win or draw vs Paraguay, and then need to score more goals than Italy if they draw. And if they're level drawing of lots will take place.

Bottom line is although England need to improve massively, given the calibre of the opposition I'd feel at least as nervous being a Spain or Germany fan right now, despite them having shown much more than us this WC so far.

Sky sports news earlier this evening reported a story in todays Evening Standard about John Terry being at loggerheads with Steven Gerrard now theres a suprise.

Anyone witness the video of Gerrard and Stuart Pierce over a water bottle they certainly didnt look like they were in harmony with one another.

I'd be happy to see Terry dropped.

Got a feeling England are going to be feeling pig sick by Friday night- out of the World Cup and looking at what might have been as other major countries are out as well.

A bit like the FA Cup the season we lost 4-1 at home to Coventry.

I'd be happy to see Terry dropped.

Got a feeling England are going to be feeling pig sick by Friday night- out of the World Cup and looking at what might have been as other major countries are out as well.

A bit like the FA Cup the season we lost 4-1 at home to Coventry.

Yippee.

Flip Flop has predicted this so hopefully the opposite is now going to happen.

Good on yer Gunner!

Sky sports news earlier this evening reported a story in todays Evening Standard about John Terry being at loggerheads with Steven Gerrard now theres a suprise.

No wonder. Terry was still strutting around like he is still captain, and whilst Gerrard's rightly aggrieved but basically isn't one.

No wonder. Terry was still strutting around like he is still captain, and whilst Gerrard's rightly aggrieved but basically isn't one.

Cole has come out and said Terry is the best central defender in the world....are all southerners that delusional?

Yep, Gerrard's a shocking choice for Cap'n. Terry is a prick (aren't they all?), but he's a leader on the field, he wears his heart on his sleeve, AND he backs it all up with outstanding play. Give him back the armband.

Yep, Gerrard's a shocking choice for Cap'n. Terry is a prick (aren't they all?), but he's a leader on the field, he wears his heart on his sleeve, AND he backs it all up with outstanding play. Give him back the armband.

For all his personality faults, this is the sort of defending you want to see from your centre backs.

He's definitely up there with the best in the world, I'm pretty sure most managers would agree with that.

Archived