BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Racist Chanting By "Rovers Supporters"

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its meant in exactly the same way paul. Paki is a word to describe an asian person.

Gora, gori is used to describe a male or female from UK or USA.

Not that I`m defending the use of either. I`m just pointing out the little difference the two meanings have.

I understood exactly what you meant, and I didn't think you were doing anything other than asking a question. From what I've read, which is very little, the person who noted gora / gori means "white" is correct and the word is male and female in it's ending? I'd still suggest it's not offensive in the same manner as Paki. The major differences, which will probably cause comment, is the question of subjugation and racism. For centuries white people have viewed themselves as superior, in every way, to non-whites, especially Asians and Africans, and from this has grown what we now term racism. I'm not convinced the terms gora / gori are any different from Limey, Brit, Pom but may well be wrong. Words like Paki have all sorts of connotations which we, the white British, are fortunate not to have suffered and therefore perhaps struggle to completely understand.

Paki is a word to describe an asian person.

People slagging him off for this quote need to grow up!!! He did NOT say it wasn't offensive, as you imply! He just didn't say that it was, so you jumped on his back!

That sentence is absolutely correct. Most people around here call Asian-Muslims 'Asians' and are referring specifically to people with brown skin. At no point does he state his belief, nor does he state whether he believes the word to be offensive or not.

And as for flying the English flag (whether on an internet profile or above one's house) is not racist in ANY way! It is a diplay of national pride! FFS GROW UP, THE LOT OF YOU!!!!

I understood exactly what you meant, and I didn't think you were doing anything other than asking a question. From what I've read, which is very little, the person who noted gora / gori means "white" is correct and the word is male and female in it's ending? I'd still suggest it's not offensive in the same manner as Paki.

Why the need to use them at all?

I really couldn't care less what the heritage of various phrases is, and who's been most wronged. Snide racial tags (which is what gori/gora appear to be, particularly given that whites may not be aware of their usage) do nothing but perpetuate racial divisions which minority groups would wish to eradicate.

Two wrongs don't make a right and being from a racial group that has previously been treated unfairly does not give you free licence to be snide. Creating a hierarchy of racial terms, with anti-white terms near the bottom I fear would take you down the same road Andrew Hawkins travelled:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-391860/Kneeling-chains-dramatic-apology-slave-trader-descendant.html

Just give everyone a fair crack and treat all negative discriminatory behaviour the same.

People slagging him off for this quote need to grow up!!! He did NOT say it wasn't offensive, as you imply! He just didn't say that it was, so you jumped on his back!

That sentence is absolutely correct. Most people around here call Asian-Muslims 'Asians' and are referring specifically to people with brown skin. At no point does he state his belief, nor does he state whether he believes the word to be offensive or not.

And as for flying the English flag (whether on an internet profile or above one's house) is not racist in ANY way! It is a diplay of national pride! FFS GROW UP, THE LOT OF YOU!!!!

Nobody was picking him up on that quote because he claimed 'Paki' is an acceptable term. Take a deep breath and re-read the replies. What caused the outcry was that referring to an Asian person as a 'Paki' shows a great deal of ignorance at best. It's just as ridiculous as saying all Europeans are French. Pakistan is a single country in Asia and consequently not all Asians hail from Pakistan. The quote you highlighted is indefensible and anyone who denies that is just as ignorant as the original poster in my book.

Regarding flying of the St George's Cross; I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, whenever there is a major sporting event on I too fly the flag from my apartment to show my support for my country. However, you, along with others, have taken peoples posts out of context on this matter as well. What was actually said was that it is not a surprise that those who defend the use of the word 'Paki' in modern society are also flying the St George's Cross on their profiles. It's fairly common knowledge that most racists are also staunch nationalists. The converse does not necessarily hold and not for one second did anyone claim that it did.

Nobody was picking him up on that quote because he claimed 'Paki' is an acceptable term. Take a deep breath and re-read the replies. What caused the outcry was that referring to an Asian person as a 'Paki' shows a great deal of ignorance at best. It's just as ridiculous as saying all Europeans are French. Pakistan is a single country in Asia and consequently not all Asians hail from Pakistan. The quote you highlighted is indefensible and anyone who denies that is just as ignorant as the original poster in my book.

Regarding flying of the St George's Cross; I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, whenever there is a major sporting event on I too fly the flag from my apartment to show my support for my country. However, you, along with others, have taken peoples posts out of context on this matter as well. What was actually said was that it is not a surprise that those who defend the use of the word 'Paki' in modern society are also flying the St George's Cross on their profiles. It's fairly common knowledge that most racists are also staunch nationalists. The converse does not necessarily hold and not for one second did anyone claim that it did.

I hope you aren't calling me a racist. You are missing the point I made. He said that people use the word 'Paki' to describe Asian-Muslims (same with the generalisation of 'Asians), only 'Paki' is used offensively. He did NOT state that he believed this to be the case or not. From what I gathered, people then jumped on his back about it, when what he said was essentially correct, no matter how morally wrong. I was defending HIM. Not racists, as they are scum.

Anyway, I've calmed down as you said hahaa

I hope you aren't calling me a racist. You are missing the point I made. He said that people use the word 'Paki' to describe Asian-Muslims (same with the generalisation of 'Asians), only 'Paki' is used offensively. He did NOT state that he believed this to be the case or not. From what I gathered, people then jumped on his back about it, when what he said was essentially correct, no matter how morally wrong. I was defending HIM. Not racists, as they are scum.

Anyway, I've calmed down as you said hahaa

Mellison, I wasn't calling you a racist. In fact, you seem like a genuinely good guy, just a bit scatty at times. :) (I kid, don't shoot!).

It's all good though. I know what you mean now, but I still disagree to a certain extent. To my knowledge, 'Paki' is often used as a racial slur against all people with 'brown' skin, whether they be Muslim, Hindu or Christian is irrelevant. Anyway, this is a moot point and apologies for jumping the gun with my last post.

Peace?

Oh, and apologies to SAS as well. I've re-read the quote in question in the context that it was originally in and I was unduly harsh. You may throw stones at me until your heart's content. :)

Mellison, I wasn't calling you a racist. In fact, you seem like a genuinely good guy, just a bit scatty at times. :) (I kid, don't shoot!).

It's all good though. I know what you mean now, but I still disagree to a certain extent. To my knowledge, 'Paki' is often used as a racial slur against all people with 'brown' skin, whether they be Muslim, Hindu or Christian is irrelevant. Anyway, this is a moot point and apologies for jumping the gun with my last post.

Peace?

Peace Ringo ;)

If, by some chance, you didn't mean to defend it, then perhaps you should make yourself clearer in future.

In response to your quotation of 'Paki is a word used to describe and asian person':

My case has been adjourned until 7th April.

I'd like to reiterate again that I think it's absolutely scandalous that you are being prosecuted and are facing a possible criminal record, loss of your current job, the prevention of you gaining certain jobs ever again for the rest of your life; as well a lifetime ban from Ewood Park to watch the club you love.

Prince Harry didn't face losing his livelihood and substantial income for the rest of his life when he was caught on video clearly saying the word "Paki".

You yourself do face that grave threat for the rest of your life, even though there is much less evidence that you said the naughty word than in Prince Harry's case and we've had character references from board members on this website who have said that they don't think you are the type of person to actually say the terrible naughty word.

You are an easy target. Prince Harry is not an easy target for the police. The double standards in this country disgust me.

Sadly Ohmi, I don't think you have been helped by certain Rovers fans, some of them on this website, having such a hysterical reaction and getting their frilly knickers in a twist about the word "Paki" - no doubt bombarding John Williams and Tom Finn with furious angry e-mails complaining about the Owen Coyle chant.

I suspect that the hysterical reaction to the word "Paki" may well have had the effect of stewards at Rovers being told to take a particularly tough line with anybody even remotely suspected of chanting the Owen Coyle song - in your case I'm prepared to accept your words that you are innocent of chanting the song.

Why is it that clubs - such as Liverpool - whose fans chant at Ewood Park "You're just a town full of Pakis" don't seem to have such a tough line taken against them, whereas Rovers fans are seemingly penalised in a much more severe way?

Again, I suspect that the hysterical reaction by some Rovers fans to the Owen Coyle chant may well have led to this difference, in the sense that supporters of other clubs such as Liverpool who chant the word "Paki" seem to have been dealt with more leniently.

• Backroom

I'd like to reiterate again that I think it's absolutely scandalous that you are being prosecuted and are facing a possible criminal record, loss of your current job, the prevention of you gaining certain jobs ever again for the rest of your life; as well a lifetime ban from Ewood Park to watch the club you love.

Prince Harry didn't face losing his livelihood and substantial income for the rest of his life when he was caught on video clearly saying the word "Paki".

You yourself do face that grave threat for the rest of your life, even though there is much less evidence that you said the naughty word than in Prince Harry's case and we've had character references from board members on this website who have said that they don't think you are the type of person to actually say the terrible naughty word.

You are an easy target. Prince Harry is not an easy target for the police. The double standards in this country disgust me.

Sadly Ohmi, I don't think you have been helped by certain Rovers fans, some of them on this website, having such a hysterical reaction and getting their frilly knickers in a twist about the word "Paki" - no doubt bombarding John Williams and Tom Finn with furious angry e-mails complaining about the Owen Coyle chant.

I suspect that the hysterical reaction to the word "Paki" may well have had the effect of stewards at Rovers being told to take a particularly tough line with anybody even remotely suspected of chanting the Owen Coyle song - in your case I'm prepared to accept your words that you are innocent of chanting the song.

Why is it that clubs - such as Liverpool - whose fans chant at Ewood Park "You're just a town full of Pakis" don't seem to have such a tough line taken against them, whereas Rovers fans are seemingly penalised in a much more severe way?

Again, I suspect that the hysterical reaction by some Rovers fans to the Owen Coyle chant may well have led to this difference, in the sense that supporters of other clubs such as Liverpool who chant the word "Paki" seem to have been dealt with more leniently.

I wrote an email to the chairman the day after the Bolton game and I'm glad I did because the behaviour of some on the concourse was sickening to me and many others.

I have said if Ohmi is wrongly accused and I now believe he is after the character assessment from Tris I hope he is proven innocent.

But I do however hope those that are guilty get punished to the full extent at the law.

The less of that type at Ewood the better imo.

I wrote an email to the chairman the day after the Bolton game and I'm glad I did because the behaviour of some on the concourse was sickening to me and many others.

I have said if Ohmi is wrongly accused and I now believe he is after the character assessment from Tris I hope he is proven innocent.

But I do however hope those that are guilty get punished to the full extent at the law.

The less of that type at Ewood the better imo.

Ok, somebody that actually DID do the chant do they deserve this:

Unbelievably draconian, but sadly expected in this shambles of a country.

• Backroom

Matty the problem is the line is blurred, a lot of the people caught up in the chant wont be actual racists but jumped up kids with beer in them trying to impress their mates. However there is the more sinister amongst them.

But there has to be punishments as it's unacceptable behaviour either way.

Thinking about it I think discretion should be practiced by a judge and the younger lads given maybe a 6 month ban or less, the more 'seasoned' the perp then possibly the more serious the punishment.

I am not an expert so I cannot comment on the ins and outs of the law but something has to be seen to be done.

Matty the problem is the line is blurred, a lot of the people caught up in the chant wont be actual racists but jumped up kids with beer in them trying to impress their mates. However there is the more sinister amongst them.

But there has to be punishments as it's unacceptable behaviour either way.

Thinking about it I think discretion should be practiced by a judge and the younger lads given maybe a 6 month ban or less, the more 'seasoned' the perp then possibly the more serious the punishment.

I am not an expert so I cannot comment on the ins and outs of the law but something has to be seen to be done.

That's it TCO, I said earlier in the thread that temporary banning order should suffice, putting myself in their shoes, it would certainly scare me $hitless and be a serious wake up call.

Whilst I agree with your comments about double standards and I hope those wrongly accused are cleared of all charges, you, our very own tabloid-in-a-post merchant, complaining about hysterical overreaction is either the height of irony or very, very rich indeed...

Archived