BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Racist Chanting By "Rovers Supporters"

I'd like to reiterate again that I think it's absolutely scandalous that you are being prosecuted and are facing a possible criminal record, loss of your current job, the prevention of you gaining certain jobs ever again for the rest of your life; as well a lifetime ban from Ewood Park to watch the club you love.

Prince Harry didn't face losing his livelihood and substantial income for the rest of his life when he was caught on video clearly saying the word "Paki".

You yourself do face that grave threat for the rest of your life, even though there is much less evidence that you said the naughty word than in Prince Harry's case and we've had character references from board members on this website who have said that they don't think you are the type of person to actually say the terrible naughty word.

You are an easy target. Prince Harry is not an easy target for the police. The double standards in this country disgust me.

Sadly Ohmi, I don't think you have been helped by certain Rovers fans, some of them on this website, having such a hysterical reaction and getting their frilly knickers in a twist about the word "Paki" - no doubt bombarding John Williams and Tom Finn with furious angry e-mails complaining about the Owen Coyle chant.

I suspect that the hysterical reaction to the word "Paki" may well have had the effect of stewards at Rovers being told to take a particularly tough line with anybody even remotely suspected of chanting the Owen Coyle song - in your case I'm prepared to accept your words that you are innocent of chanting the song.

Why is it that clubs - such as Liverpool - whose fans chant at Ewood Park "You're just a town full of Pakis" don't seem to have such a tough line taken against them, whereas Rovers fans are seemingly penalised in a much more severe way?

Again, I suspect that the hysterical reaction by some Rovers fans to the Owen Coyle chant may well have led to this difference, in the sense that supporters of other clubs such as Liverpool who chant the word "Paki" seem to have been dealt with more leniently.

Are you Jan Moir?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit late for those already in court.

Bit of perspective when sentencing is all people are asking.

Well as I wrote previously, if certain fans behave like brain dead morons, sadly innocent fans run the risk of being next to a moron in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The hell the innocent fans are going through is 100% the fault of people singing the brain dead gratuitously offensive chant.

Whether these morons like it or not (and they clearly don't) more and more Rovers fans will be the British-born offspring of people who came from the sub-continent. And they are having chants yelled at them telling them they are hated.

Well stick to booing Andrews- at least he is well remunerated for having abuse thrown at him.

I'd like to reiterate again that I think it's absolutely scandalous that you are being prosecuted and are facing a possible criminal record, loss of your current job, the prevention of you gaining certain jobs ever again for the rest of your life; as well a lifetime ban from Ewood Park to watch the club you love.

Prince Harry didn't face losing his livelihood and substantial income for the rest of his life when he was caught on video clearly saying the word "Paki".

You yourself do face that grave threat for the rest of your life, even though there is much less evidence that you said the naughty word than in Prince Harry's case and we've had character references from board members on this website who have said that they don't think you are the type of person to actually say the terrible naughty word.

You are an easy target. Prince Harry is not an easy target for the police. The double standards in this country disgust me.

Sadly Ohmi, I don't think you have been helped by certain Rovers fans, some of them on this website, having such a hysterical reaction and getting their frilly knickers in a twist about the word "Paki" - no doubt bombarding John Williams and Tom Finn with furious angry e-mails complaining about the Owen Coyle chant.

I suspect that the hysterical reaction to the word "Paki" may well have had the effect of stewards at Rovers being told to take a particularly tough line with anybody even remotely suspected of chanting the Owen Coyle song - in your case I'm prepared to accept your words that you are innocent of chanting the song.

Why is it that clubs - such as Liverpool - whose fans chant at Ewood Park "You're just a town full of Pakis" don't seem to have such a tough line taken against them, whereas Rovers fans are seemingly penalised in a much more severe way?

Again, I suspect that the hysterical reaction by some Rovers fans to the Owen Coyle chant may well have led to this difference, in the sense that supporters of other clubs such as Liverpool who chant the word "Paki" seem to have been dealt with more leniently.

Presumably I'm one of the people you're referring to as I have emailed and now spoken to Tom Finn. I object most strongly to the suggestion that my reaction is hysterical and that my emails were furious and angry - they were nothing of the sort. From comments to me and on here I'm aware of 4 people who have contacted the club on this matter. The one other email to Tom that I've seen was also anything but furious, angry or hysterical.

For information there were four fans arrested at Wigan, 3 Rovers fans and 1 Wigan so presumably the police did react to the chant you've attributed to Liverpool fans that Wigan fans were also singing.

Bit late for those already in court.

Bit of perspective when sentencing is all people are asking.

If they're innocent then I'm sure they'll be fine. Dont sign racist songs then there will not be a problem, its very very simple, I know the people who sing these songs are braindead but surely even they should be able to grasp the concept.

If they're innocent then I'm sure they'll be fine. Dont sign racist songs then there will not be a problem, its very very simple, I know the people who sing these songs are braindead but surely even they should be able to grasp the concept.

Well in my view even those that did sing it do not deserve the severe punishment below:

A criminal record, being placed on a database, banned from sporting events- maybe for life and possibly banned from certain places of employment just for saying an offensive word?

Anyone that does has either completely lost grip of reality or will one day be seated at the right hand of the father.

Well in my view even those that did sing it do not deserve the severe punishment below:

A criminal record, being placed on a database, banned from sporting events- maybe for life and possibly banned from certain places of employment just for saying an offensive word?

Anyone that does has either completely lost grip of reality or will one day be seated at the right hand of the father.

No different, if heard by a copper, than abusive language in a street. Same punishment, same consequences etc. A person goes to court for speeding, isn't the punishment the same, plus the additional points on the licence. Although we all say things we shouldn't at times, either through anger or ignorance, sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't. When we don't, then we pay the price - whatever that be. That is the same for everybody.

It is possible that those that sung this song, may just get a suspended sentence if they plead ignorance to the 'words' being offensive. Although ignorance is not a defence in law, it is still taken into consideration - when put forward in mitigation. They only have to say they thought it was a slang word and not a racist word - that then may get them the suspended sentence.

That is the best defence these people can offer - then if they do it again - well they deserve whatever comes their way imo.

I have four friends who were with me, and three people who I don't know coming court. I was infuriated when I read the stewards statement. Obviously I know the fate of the two other fans - but not my place to say. We'll see what happens in April, but at least I can go Dingles away still.

Well as I wrote previously, if certain fans behave like brain dead morons, sadly innocent fans run the risk of being next to a moron in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The hell the innocent fans are going through is 100% the fault of people singing the brain dead gratuitously offensive chant.

Whether these morons like it or not (and they clearly don't) more and more Rovers fans will be the British-born offspring of people who came from the sub-continent. And they are having chants yelled at them telling them they are hated.

Well stick to booing Andrews- at least he is well remunerated for having abuse thrown at him.

Exactamundo. AESF's reactionary agenda aside, the responsibility lies with these moronic fans who started this racist chant in the first place.

I'd like to reiterate again that I think it's absolutely scandalous that you are being prosecuted and are facing a possible criminal record

Singing a racist song in a public place, when you full well know there will be people there who this is very offensive too, i think that warrants a criminal record to me

loss of your current job, the prevention of you gaining certain jobs ever again for the rest of your life;

Again this is justified, i'm not sure sure i'd like to work with someone who had a criminal record for racism and who had been repeatedley told by the club, police and members of this board that it would not be tolerated. How can you trust someone to work with Asians when they clearly don't see them as being on a par with other races?

as well a lifetime ban from Ewood Park to watch the club you love.

Again quite right. Someone who is willing to be racist in public and in full view of cameras, media, home fans and away fans should have no place inside a caring, family club like blackburn. To not give someone a banning order who sings racist chants would make the club seem like they were condoning his or her actions, something i wouldn't want to see

AESF stop bringing this up everytime. Harry was definitely wrong to say what he did. But his crime was nowhere near as great as that of some rovers fans. He was not trying to be offensive, just like Antoin du Beck, he used the word in a light hearted way (which is still unacceptable). These two apologised immediately and those who it was aimed at took no offence

On the other hand, Blackburn fans have been caught fair and square using the term paki in a malicious and delibertaely offensive way. Also i've yet to hear anyone apologise for singing this chant, just denials and buck-passing

Blackburn fans convicted of singing this chant deserve everything coming to them. They were clearly using the word Paki in a malicious and vindicative way, trying to imply that people of Pakistani/Bangladeshi origin are a sub-human race that should be pilloried and made the target of abuse.

SHOCK!! Blackburn fans speak out against racism!! Whatever next AESF?? The word has truly gone mad

Matty the problem is the line is blurred, a lot of the people caught up in the chant wont be actual racists but jumped up kids with beer in them trying to impress their mates. However there is the more sinister amongst them.

That's not right. I was near to them in the concourse at the breezeblock when the chant started pre match.

There must have been twenty or so, all kids, not one looked above 18 and they were all drunk.

Just kids trying to be obnoxious.

C'mon aesf.... our stewards cant even get them to sit down! Ludicrous and very very weak.

I wrote an email to the chairman the day after the Bolton game

The less of that type at Ewood the better imo.

But they were at Bolton!!! :rolleyes:

btw I take your point but shouldn't you have written to Gartside too? The way the Bolton stewards administrate visiting supporters is his responsibility not John Williams .

What is wrong with you guys?- just stop singing this gratuitously offensive moronic chant.

Problem solved.

Is it hell. That lot that sing it won't have a clue what gratuitous means. :rolleyes:

Gunner you need to get out more. You really do.

I'm sure that if I was a brown skinned Blackburn citizen born from parents of Southern Asian descent (ffs!!! is this where the PC effin stupid brigade have got us to in the gobbledegook stakes?) I'd go to BRFC for sure but I wouldn't sit with the chavs thats for sure!

Needless to say I'm not and I don't and if the only seat available to me was in the middle of the Blackburn End I'd not go at all.

btw Gunner.... I take you last point on board but such is the stupidity nowadays you'd have to think twice about insulting Andrews so much if he was called Khan.

Presumably I'm one of the people you're referring to as I have emailed and now spoken to Tom Finn. I object most strongly to the suggestion that my reaction is hysterical and that my emails were furious and angry - they were nothing of the sort. From comments to me and on here I'm aware of 4 people who have contacted the club on this matter. The one other email to Tom that I've seen was also anything but furious, angry or hysterical.

For information there were four fans arrested at Wigan, 3 Rovers fans and 1 Wigan so presumably the police did react to the chant you've attributed to Liverpool fans that Wigan fans were also singing.

Good effort....... I think. But which words offended you most?

They were clearly using the word Paki in a malicious and vindicative way, trying to imply that people of Pakistani/Bangladeshi origin are a sub-human race that should be pilloried and made the target of abuse.

Bangladeshi? Hmm I've never heard that one sung. Why bring that lot into it? They are almost 2 thousand miles and two countries apart ffs. Are you trying to get yet another valid place name deleted from the English language shabani?

btw can we still say Nepalese..? :blink: they are right next door after all.

Guest andrewpickup

Bangladeshi? Hmm I've never heard that one sung. Why bring that lot into it? They are almost 2 thousand miles and two countries apart ffs. Are you trying to get yet another valid place name deleted from the English language shabani?

btw can we still say Nepalese..? :blink: they are right next door after all.

isnt that the point? these morons make these sweeping statements

your attempt at playing devils advocate is pretty hopeless

Why pick on Bangladeshi's then? Afghans / Indians / Nepalese are all much closer to Pakistan and I've no doubt a few of them live around Bastwell too. Pedantic maybe but you can see that there can be no end to this stupidity. Also stuff like that confuses the numpties like andrewpickup into a lather of confusion. He doesn't know what is/isn't racist or who or what to lash out at next.

Removed

there's currently more visible evidence available to readers of this thread to suggest that you use a prostitute called andrew than there is to back up your accusation

no smoke without fire of course

Guest andrewpickup

Im just condemming racism.

obviously if this individual is found innocent then whats the problem. i shouldnt have to specify this really

Guest andrewpickup

What a cretin you are.

Hopefully you'll get a ban for accusing somebody of something before they are found guilty or innocent.

you are a fool.

after my error I changed it to take into account the obvious that it was dependant on the british legal system

you are a fool.

after my error I changed it to take into account the obvious that it was dependant on the british legal system

But you're condemning the guy before he's even been adjudicated. That's pretty low.

Guest andrewpickup

But you're condemning the guy before he's even been adjudicated. That's pretty low.

no, im only condemning the guilty. as yet this individual would surely be considered innocent no?

Archived