BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

Where's the logic in that? He was due the chop based on today's performance? But now he's OK for the next 4 months regardless of how the remaining sixteen games go?

Football's well and truly turned into lazy thinking and instant gratification. Get real bandwagonners.

Has he saved his job in my eyes no, I still think we will have to endure more of his woefull lineups, arrogance, and lack of fire instilled in the team, has he saved his job in the boards eyes? Then my answer would be yes they wont sack him after a win.

I posted how I think the board will react not me, Its not really relevant how I feel towards Sam people are fickle and 3 points will be enough for most fans.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very happy with the win, especially as that leaves the dingles four points in our wake and only two points above the relegation zone. They must be starting to get worried now.

Thought it was a game of mediocrity. Fulham were better than us in a footballing sense, but they couldn't score. Credit to our back four for that. Robinson made some points saving saves, but nearly let Fulham back into the game when he decided to give a display of juggling, only to present Johnson with a virtually open goal. Fortunately it fell to him. The midfield worked hard to stay and compete with the superior Fulham players, although producing little of any real quality.

Benni is worth the entrance fee when he plays as he did today. Kalanic looked short of what's needed in this league. He worked tirelessly, but got little change out of their back four. He looks a bit one paced to me [not slow, but no real acceleration]. To be fair, he shouldn't be carrying that kind of responsibility up front on his own yet. I know Benni was playing, but Benni was still too far away from Niko to take much weight off his 22 year old shoulders.

All in all, very happy.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice Sam giving Belli a rollocking when he took a short corner to Reid? God help us if we can't try something different now and again.

Let's be greatful for small mercies, imo today was one of the games we needed to win to give us a realistic chance of staying up.

Our position might look relatively comfortable but I still think we're a bit like the runner in lane 8 of the 400m. Once the stagger unwinds towards the end of the season it'll be a lot tighter.

As for Sam, well done for switching to 4-4-2 and using McCarthy/Kalinic for the first time and Reid and Olsson. But we shouldn't get too carried away, it only tends to indicate what everyone has been saying for weeks that his tactics and selections prior to today have been all wrong.

Key question for Sam now: Having finally found a winning formation and line up, can you stick with it?

Kalinic not up to this league??

He was a managers dream today, defended so well from the front, a top striker only needs one chance and the turn he created that chnce with today was brilliant, just got fouled edge of the box to stop him shootin!!

His movement and touch were good too, he is a good little player!!

One thing I can see from today, Woy Hodgeson will bid for Benni, you watch, hes a Hodgson type player!!

If Dempsey has a cruciate injury ,what are the odds that an on form Benni today, would be an attractive option up front for them ?

Snap and posted at the same time too!!

How expensive is that win going to be in the long run?

Average fare and we appear to have fallen so far that confidence has been affected. But I struggle to accept what you have posted. You actually wanted us to lose did'nt you?

I fear that you must have been pulling your face when the wind changed...... and it's stuck.

Great to get a win and 3 points on the board. I don't want to get too carried away though as it's only one game. The big change was going 4-4-2 with 2 proper strikers on the bitch, other than that it was still pretty direct but at least it makes a big difference when there are two men up there and the target has someone to flick it on too.

Like I said don't want to get carried away, it was a fairly even game, if anything Fulham were slightly better but Robbo did his job well and we actually finished a few chances from set pieces.

I guess only time will tell what will happen now, I'm still not Sam's biggest fan largely due to his tactics and inability to listen to the fans and wouldn't be sorry if someone else came in (Not that I expect them too) but at least today is signs that he is listening by starting Kalinic and playing 2 up top as well as being willing to try other people rather than Andrews in midfield. Let's put things into perspective though we beat a Fulham side who are well known for their poor away form, let's just hope our improvement can continue.

However booing Andrews before he comes on to the pitch should not be tolerated, it's hardly going to help him is it which ultimately hurts the team, think it through guys.

Just got back in from the match (went for a couple of drinks afterwards) and although it wasn't a 'great' game, we did QUITE well. A nice mixture of play, I thought (apart from the bits of head tennis, which I hate).

Nelsen - goal (was it offside?) and good defensive play at times.

Robbo - some outstanding saves, very few complications and a clean sheet (my MOTM).

Reidy - Not fantastic, but did very well on his return. Ran everywhere, putting pressure on the ball constantly and has a MUCH better throw than Pedersen. His 3 years of gym work has paid off (must've been Sam's plan!:rolleyes:)

Olsson - How much better was he than Pedersen on the left of midfield??? Get him playing more!

Hoilett - Again, did very well when he came on. Nice touches and plenty of pace.

McCarthy - A few bad touches (more than you'd expect) but still many marvellous touches and even a few showboats thrown in.

Emerton - A lot of running, but decided towards the end that he didn't have to track back whenever he lost the ball. That got right on my tits.

Chimbo - On and off. Some good movement but a bit dodgy at times.

Givet - did okay.

Samba - Did very well in the air, but seemed to struggle with tackles after his booking. Nice flukey goal.

Kalinic - Not his best performance. It could well have been DiSanto in his place tbh. But no disappointments.

Salgado - No words needed. He is Salgado (did okay).

Andrews - pointed. That's it.

What have we learnt?

Robbo

Jacobsen-Samba-Nelsen-Chimbonda

Hoilett-Reid-NZonzi-Olsson

Dunn - Kalinic

This would be my favoured formation after today.

I agree with those saying don't get carried away as the performance was far from great, especially that period after we scored where we just switched off, sat too deep and was lucky to be taking a lead going into HT. But a win is a win, a vital 3 points, plenty of positives to take and areas to work on going into our next few games.

I don't suppose he'll still fancy Andrews though will he? Turning down £3m for him is the most ridiculous decision I have known in recent times from any club.

Who said we turned down £3 million for him?

Err Dirk you talking about something else? :blink:

I agree with those saying don't get carried away, the performance was far from great, especially that period after we scored where we just switched off and sat too deep. But a win is a win, a vital 3 points, plenty of positives to take and areas to work on going into our next few games.

Haha considering 'p' is nowhere near 'b' on the keyboard I guess I must have been!! My original comment sounded something more likely to involve Stan Collymore than one of our players.

Who said we turned down £3 million for him?

Well we definitely turned down two offers for him, I remember it well, and the vast majority of the reports suggested the first was £2m and the second £3m.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if it wasn't. Turning down £1m would have been crazy.

You cry out for 4-4-2, you finally get it, and you want to then revert to having 5 midfielders on the pitch again? :blink:

Before you say, Dunn is NOT and NEVER will be a striker!

I interpret 'in the hole' (Dunn's Position) as a forward role. Apologies to all pedantics. In the end, it's 11 men on the pitch. Although having thought about it, I'd probably play Benni there in Dunn's place, at least on todays evidence.

. . . Sam and Bennis little exchanges which ran from shouting at each other to having a laugh, some very strange little things happened on the touchline too which I never saw any of, anyone else see anything like this?

Sam and Benni have a complicated relationship. But I believe its nothing that can't be resolved with a bottle of wine, a half dozen Big Macs, and a few kind words before the sunrises.

Where's the logic in that? He was due the chop based on today's performance? But now he's OK for the next 4 months regardless of how the remaining sixteen games go?

My take is that Sam is tentatively safe. 24 points with 16 games to go means that he needs only to average a point a game to hit the magic 40. Which should be more than doable considering that he had 21 in 21, so the ability is there. Of course our season enders look to be monsters, so really the next 6 league matches are huge if we want to avoid a scrap.

Key question for Sam now: Having finally found a winning formation and line up, can you stick with it

Against Villa I expect Sam to be even more aggressive. He's desperate for silverware, and he needs two points more than Villa on Wednesday if he's to get to Wembley and end his career on a high note. I think Sam will adopt kamikaze tactics on Wednesday as a loss by 10 is every bit as much a loss as a tie, at this point. He needs a definitive win.

Kalinic not up to this league??

He was a managers dream today, defended so well from got fouled edge of the box to stop him shootin!!

His movement and touch were good too, he is a good little player!!

One thing I can see from today, Woy Hodgeson will bid for Benni, you watch, hes a Hodgson type player!

Kalinic is more than up for the league and was awesome. I think he'll bag two on Wednesday.

And if Benni has closed the deal with Hodgson, excellent. Center midfielder here we come. [Please.] :xmas:

I interpret 'in the hole' (Dunn's Position) as a forward role. Apologies to all pedantics. In the end, it's 11 men on the pitch. Although having thought about it, I'd probably play Benni there in Dunn's place, at least on todays evidence.

So then in your eyes Sam was playing 4-4-2 all along? :blink:

You say it's 11 on the pitch, that is besides the point, it whose on the pitch, where they play, and how they play that matter!

much needed 3 points .we looked good when we played and crap when booting it.Worst atmophere ive seen at ewood in a long time and the goals got a YEEEEEEEES and not the usual diving jumping and diving on everyone...muted. As for handing bollockings out for taking a short corner wtf was that about?

So then in your eyes Sam was playing 4-4-2 all along? :blink:

You say it's 11 on the pitch, that is besides the point, it whose on the pitch, where they play, and how they play that matter!

I thought he played a 4411 really, which I don't have ANY problem with at all. What REALLY bugged me was the constant hoofing. He could play a flat back 11 for all I care, as long as he varied the play more (like today).

Two moments of inspiration from Benni MaCarthy provided a massive tonic for us Rovers fans against a thankfully impotent Fulham attack.

The game was poor, Fulham should have scored several times but didnt. Allardyce found the formula 4-4-2, now hesimply has to improve it by finding better players, otherwise these type of results just wont be sustainable.

Well I don't reckon anybody on here managed to call the starting line-up correctly, but I felt more confident in the line-up than the one that took to the field against Villa on Thursday. Olsson always struck me more as a left-winger than a left-back and he proved that today by putting in a strong performance, nothing fancy he just did the basic things correctly something which MGP just doesn't do on a regular basis. Reid added a little more bite to the midfield, it was a wonderful sight to see a Rovers player getting stuck in for once instead of the tentative backing off. Okay at times we still seemed to resort to the getting everybody behind the ball tactic but we definitely pressed the play a lot more, especially from Kalinic, who again I thought was superb both in his work-rate and in his build up play he's looking every bit a Premiership striker on his last two performances. It was also good to see Benni chasing back and working hard, don't think we've seen him do that for months.

On the overall balance of play Fulham must consider themselves unlucky, they had a large amount of the ball, the 58% possession stat doesn't suprise me one bit. They played some pretty football at times Fulham and created a couple of good chances, Demspey was a constant threat and was unlucky not to score with an athletic overhead kick, Fulham continued to retain possession well and if it wasn't for some timely blocks by Rovers defenders and a few decent saves from Robbo they could well have got a point at the very least out of the game.

Rovers on the other hand were pretty much following a similiar pattern to recent home games, the only difference this time being we got the crucial first goal which has been evading us especially at home in recent times. The goal came from a corner, which was won thanks to a brilliant control and shot from Benni after a long punt forward from Samba. The two again combined somewhat fornatley this time after Benni's scuffed corner somehow found it's way into the path of Big Chris. Despite the 1-0 lead at half time we put in a very similiar below-par performance in my opinion. Although if you look at Big Sam's textbook I'm sure keeping it tight first-half and trying to nick a 1-0 lead would be in there.

Second half was a little bit better from Rovers but we where less threatening in an attacking sense than against Villa or Sunderland. Althought to be fair the second goal, which in real-time looked offside meant we didn't need to attack and chase the game for a change. Whilst Fulham had a lot of the ball second half we did well to restrict them to only a few chances.

Sad to hear loudish booing for the introduction of Andrews, yes we all know he's not very good but I'm a firm believer in not booing your own players. To be fair to Keith he actually played some decent passess when he came on although he's still far to easily passed by a simple drop of the shoulder from an opponent. Hopefully we can keep Reid fit because based on today's performance he's a much better option than Andrews, Reid shows composure on the ball and he's not afraid to get stuck in, two qualities which Andrews lacks unfornatley.

So despite playing at a similiar sort of level as in previous games this time we come away with a comfortable 2-0 win, just goes to show what a funny game football is I suppose we should just be gratful for the vital three points.

Just like to add some quick match rating:

Robinson - 8 - Some crucial saves, one dodgy moment but didn't prove costly.

Chimbonda - 7 - Didn't roam forwards as much as in previous games but did a stead job defensively.

Samba - 7 - Thought he had a decent enough game, guilty of trying to over-play it at times.

Nelsen - 8 - Didn't put a foot wrong, got the important second goal.

Givet - 7 - Thankfully Duffer isn't as quick as he use to be, good performance before being subbed.

Emerton - 5 - Probably the only disapointment in the match, can't question the work-rate but some of his passing was poor.

Nzonzi - 6 - Not one of his best games, but he still played okay.

Reid - 6 - Lucky to escape a yellow cards after a series of rash tackles, looks to have lost a yard of pace. But still a promising performance, especially in the second half, to build on

Olsson - 8 - Worked hard, put in one superb cross and made good runs forward. Surely must be ahead of MGP on this performance. Moved back to LB and did okay also.

McCarthy - 8 - Showed some classy touches and gets two assists for the goals. The second of which was a brilliant free-kick. Our only player capable of producing something out of nothing, selling him now would be a huge mistake.

Kalinic - 8 - Worked his socks off upfront, linked-up well with other players.

------------------------------------

Hoilett - 7 - Looked dangerous when he came on, linked-up with Benni well.

Andrews - 5 - Added Fresh legs to the midfield

Salgado - 5 - Only a brief cameo.

Just like to say get well soon to Clint Dempsey, I hear it looks like he could be out for some time with a knee injury. He was far and away Fulham's biggest threat until his withdrawal.

The reasons why I said it might be expensive:

- is Sam's football going to bring those 4,000 fans back that were missing from Ewood compared with our average attendance?

- did Sam really turn over a new page today? I think we were playing 4-5-1 again given how isolated Kalinic was much of the time with Benni in the Dunn role.

- if Sam has made himself safe today, he is going to force the sale of Benni. Would we have won today without Benni?

- are the players going to play for Sam after he scapegoated the lot of them in his own defence?

- is anyone arguing that fortune didn't favour us today in the way we haven't got lucky in other games?

- what happens if today proves to be just a blip? A replacement will have to arrive without a transfer window to work with and a far worse set of fixtures remaining. Coyle couldn't conjure a point in his first game today whilst Wigan could do to us what they did to Wolves.

Don't get me wrong, being 5 points above danger is a huge relief but I want to see us playing better football convincingly under Sam before being remotely relaxed about his tenure. As den reported, Sam went bananas when the players tried a short corner to mix things up a bit- that is not a good sign at all.

Archived