BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

Don't get me wrong, being 5 points above danger is a huge relief but I want to see us playing better football convincingly under Sam before being remotely relaxed about his tenure. As den reported, Sam went bananas when the players tried a short corner to mix things up a bit- that is not a good sign at all.

The corner that resulted in Reid hitting it miles over the bar? I was annoyed at the fact that it was played short as well, simply because out 2 goals came from set pieces, and both our central defenders scored, so why not lump it into the mix again and see what happens? Instead, we wasted it.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The corner that resulted in Reid hitting it miles over the bar? I was annoyed at the fact that it was played short as well, simply because out 2 goals came from set pieces, and both our central defenders scored, so why not lump it into the mix again and see what happens? Instead, we wasted it.

Didn't see SA going ballistic but that corner was definitely ON. I said Reid was in an acre of space so before Benny took it. Only problem was that Reid really needed to have used his left foot to have made it work. By allowing it to pass his body onto his right foot he gave the Fulham player time and opportunity to get a challenge in.

Players must never be frightened to express themselves and try the unexpected and unpredictable when in the opponents penaalty area! It's the way goals are scored.

The reasons why I said it might be expensive:

- is Sam's football going to bring those 4,000 fans back that were missing from Ewood compared with our average attendance?

Winning will bring fans back - plus it was the poorest away numbers so far this season

- did Sam really turn over a new page today? I think we were playing 4-5-1 again given how isolated Kalinic was much of the time with Benni in the Dunn role.

Totally agree - but to be fair we committed more players forward than we have done of late

- if Sam has made himself safe today, he is going to force the sale of Benni. Would we have won today without Benni?

Difficult to answer - a bit of class to create one goal. Though it was his corner that led to the first goal -- it was in truth an awful corner. Usual Benni - bit of class - lots of dross imo. Though I am probably a lone voice - I won't be too disappointed if he is sold - providing the money is spent wisely

- are the players going to play for Sam after he scapegoated the lot of them in his own defence?

- is anyone arguing that fortune didn't favour us today in the way we haven't got lucky in other games?

We had the rub of the green at key moments in the match - in the same way we haven't on a number of others this season.

- what happens if today proves to be just a blip? A replacement will have to arrive without a transfer window to work with and a far worse set of fixtures remaining. Coyle couldn't conjure a point in his first game today whilst Wigan could do to us what they did to Wolves.

We can't worry on what might be - at the moment we are 5 points off relegation zone and still (just) in the Semis of a cup competition - difficult to justify getting rid at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, being 5 points above danger is a huge relief but I want to see us playing better football convincingly under Sam before being remotely relaxed about his tenure. As den reported, Sam went bananas when the players tried a short corner to mix things up a bit- that is not a good sign at all.

We looked a lot better when the players relaxed after we went 2-0. You have to remember we have a number of young players in the team were the bad run we have had must effect their confidence. There was over the whole game more of a mix to the play - still a fair amount of long ball, but give osme credit to Fulham who rarely allowed our defenders any time on the ball - or our midfield.

Try to be optimistic at least I know we have forgotten how to be but you're taking the ######. Stats: SHOTS ON TARGET- Rovers 7 Fulham 9. Last time I checked double of 7 wasn't 9. SHOTS OFF TARGET- Rovers 4 Fulham 5. Once again double of 4 isn't 5.

Not the stats according to BBC.

Anyway, I've had a couple of beers now and everythings looking rosier.

Just hope we can get a couple of bodies in midfield before the transfer window ends.

Seems to me Sam has lost some passion for the game though.

Looking at him on telly after the game he seemed to have a few cold sores, either that or the weather is affecting his complexion.

Either way I don't think he looks in the rudest of health at the moment, maybe the job has worn him out over the years.

It's s tough job to do if you're not 100%.

You can't include away fans in that figure Phil - we are averaging around 22,500 home fans this season - so we were 2,000 light today.

Attendance was 21287, which included no more than 100 Fulham fans, meaning we were just over a thousand down on the average. Probably explain that one due to the semi-final anyway. The way the home fan attendances have held up despite some pretty dire football on offer is encouraging - what would we be getting if we were actually playing some decent stuff?

- is Sam's football going to bring those 4,000 fans back that were missing from Ewood compared with our average attendance?

...can't believe that comment!

"Average - the result obtained by adding several amounts together and then dividing the total by the number of amounts."

So lets not jump to conclusions - attendances arent down yet. Theres enough crap flying around here at the moment without you manipulating attendance figures to try and back up your arguements.

:wacko: It is at the BBC I'm looking at

I'd ignore the BBC stats - they're usually I think that is more than reasonable.

When we lost to Villa in the FA Cup - they listed us as having one shot on target - despite scoring one and having a penalty saved.

Guest Kamy100

Great result and much needed 3 points gained.

The performance was not that great, but then I didn't expect it to be, this team has not won a game since November so we were always going to be on edge. No one can fault the commitment today. There were times that defensively we got into a mess, but I think the players will take heart from a clean sheet.

I thought that Reid did very well today, he did nothing outstanding but showed what a difference it makes having an experienced midfielder. Having said that, I was disgusted by the booing of Andrews by so called "fans". Even if you do not like him as a player, surely people can see by booing him it is going to have a negative impact on the team.

Kalanic did well, he had scraps to feed on but he worked tirelessly, then on occasions when we got the ball to his feet he showed some brilliant touches. He now needs a run in the team and I feel sure that the goals will come.

Finally Benni Mc, what a player, admittedly I am a big fan of his, but today everything positive that we did came through him. Surely we can't sell him. It was funny watching Benni and Sam today, honestly they are like on old married couple, shouting at each other, Sam jumping up and down and even laughing at each other.

I can't remember the last time we took a short corner. We need to mix it up much more than we do. We also need Robbo to stay in his area when a free is given to us anywhere near the half way line, because once he comes up, there is no other option than to lump it. If Nelsen were to take these free kicks, he would have the option of hitting it long, or if it's on - playing it quickly.

In all honesty, my problems with Sam are his seeming refusal to be unpredictable and change play now and again.

• Backroom

I remember one time in the second half we had a corner and Olsson was standing all along on the edge of the area I was hoping Benni picked him out cause that lad can hit a ball.

He suddenly looks like a new player for us and I bet a lot of people on here would have advocated getting rid after last season.

The reasons why I said it might be expensive:

The attendance was so down thanks to the 150 or so Fulham fans, rather than the normal 3000 away fans we are used to!

Today - Benni showed why, he MUST NOT be sold

Also Olsson showed why he should be given a chance on the left wing, rather than MGP.

Another thing is that Kalinic should now get a good run of games

• Backroom

He might have been annoyed at the lack of backing for the team maybe.

Lets face it up until the goal the game and atmosphere were equally awful

I am STILL laughing at the Dingle family on Match of the Day 2.....dad had buck teeth and his wife decided to call their kid Robbie-Blake Moore. After their other sprog has the middle name "The-Hit-Man"! Loving the burnley crest carpet too, just the thing to wipe the dog turd off your shoes on. Is it any wonder that people laugh at them? National ridicule that made a good day just that little bit better.

can anyone explain to me samba cupping his ear with his hand towards the blackburn fans? i might of missed something tho <_<

He was clearly as disgusted and fed up with the fans as I have been over the past few weeks. The message was clear, it shouldn't take him to score a goal for the fans to start supporting the team. Go nuts for the team you love and they will repay you for your support every time.

People seem to want instant changes in every game. Making drastic changes is just not realistic. People are on here saying Sam should be changing it around more, but look over this season and see just how much he has varied formations, line ups and tactics. How many other managers have done that this season? The problem isn't him changing things around, the problem is him being unable to find his best team.

I hope after tonight he will have seen the potential of an attack force consisting of Hoilett, Olsson, McCarthy and Kalinic and play them next game. I would like to see this lineup against Villa, and I would be very confident about getting the win:

Robinson

Chimbonda/Jacobsen/Salgado-Nelsen-Samba-Givet

Hoilett-Reid-Dunn-Olsson

McCarthy-Kalinic

Not the stats according to BBC.

Anyway, I've had a couple of beers now and everythings looking rosier.

Just hope we can get a couple of bodies in midfield before the transfer window ends.

Seems to me Sam has lost some passion for the game though.

Looking at him on telly after the game he seemed to have a few cold sores, either that or the weather is affecting his complexion.

Either way I don't think he looks in the rudest of health at the moment, maybe the job has worn him out over the years.

It's s tough job to do if you're not 100%.

Uhhh he looked pretty animated on the sidelines screaming directions at the team and seemed in good spirits in general, so I'm not sure what Sam you were watching.

Archived