BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I remember, he also had a significant injury in the first couple of years he was with us.

The comment was a little tongue in cheek.

There is no disputing he has had injuries, neither is it disputable that only some 120-130 appearances in seven years is not brilliant.

10 games for WBA would suggest he is at least on his way back, is it worth another contract, however long, debatable. ;) but hardly worth it. :D

If we have the funds for someone better or Sam believes we don't need him fair enough.

A player that in todays climate of player greed and power that can be proud of the way he has conducted himslef in Rovers colours.

THAT goal at Wigan seems a long time ago but it was a true rocket.

Good luck Reidy, just dont come back to haunt us and stay injury free for a while.

A player that in todays climate of player greed and power that can be proud of the way he has conducted himslef in Rovers colours.

I wish Reid all the best, but I don't understand that bit...a little OTT? Unless something has slipped my mind, that is.

What I mean Le C is that he hasnt been the big headed player that some are and he has been genuine about the lack of football through injury being an issue for him and BRFC. It showed that he cared about not being able to play football for a club paying his wages and that he gave a toss whereas others just take the money and run.

What I mean Le C is that he hasnt been the big headed player that some are and he has been genuine about the lack of football through injury being an issue for him and BRFC. It showed that he cared about not being able to play football for a club paying his wages and that he gave a toss whereas others just take the money and run.

Took the money and run where?

I'm with LeC on this. He seems a nice guy but he's got a lot of money for doing nothing. That doesn't show courage.

I think its relative. Dont all footballers get paid alot of money for doing nothing?

Reid did as much as he could to get fit but it just never worked out, i dont think the financial side ever entered into the equation. I dont know what courage has to do with it either to be honest.

I think he always wanted to get into the Rovers first team but when he realised that he probably wasnt going to reach that level he accepted playing in a lower division. Not many prem players would do that today.

All the best Steven Reid - seemed a decent guy and such a shame with all his injuries.

It was one of those moments that stick in your mind forever when he scored that thunderbolt at Wigan.

I was sat right in the line of fire and automatically ducked - good job the net got in the way.

He wont that good really. Brief spell of quality culminating in the goal at Wigan, but it was all down hill from there. Could have been different without the injuries, but there's been better players than Reid that have suffered with that.

I liked Reidy, and I wish him well (but not so well we regret nursing him for years and letting him go for nowt). But you're being very naive. I'm not saying that not playing affected him, I'm sure it did, even though a footballer saying something does not mean he meant it. But there was no money to take and run, we were not being swamped with people wanting to pay him more than he was on! What would have proved he cared deeply about not playing for a club paying his wages would have been if he did what Oguchi Onyewu did. He asked for a one-year contract extension during which he would be unpaid. And that was after only one injury-plagued season! I'm not criticising Reidy for not doing this, but it's a bit daft to sing his praises for sitting out his contract.

Someone mentioned dropping to a lower level to play football, and that not many Prem footballers do that...well, they do, if they're not playing and doesn't cost them a penny (ie, playing on loan). It is detrimental for their career (and therefore bank account) to sit on a bench when they have an option to prove themselves elsewhere at no risk.

All the best to the guy. He took a while to get adjusted to the Premiership, but when he did he became a crucial player for us. I think that had he been able to stay fit, he would have been a real driving force behind our team. I'll remember him for that screamer against Wigan. I hope all goes well at WBA and he manages to get himself back into the Ireland team in place of Keith Andrews!

Thought Reid showed signs of becoming a really, really good wide player for us after his first season. His brilliant physical abilities - both pace and strenght - combined with decent technical ability and a never say die-attitude - whether it was to beat his man down the side, or make one of his trademark sliding tackles. Reidy was one of my definite favourites too, and I wish him all the best.

There's no doubt the injuries has hampered his progress, and there's no doubt that there has been better players around who has gone the same way because of injuries. But at the same time, I honestly believed Reid would be as good as anyone at one point - and his athleticism is just what our midfield has been missing since Savage's best days. Anyway, it's time (to say the least) for Reid to find a new place to play, and for us to cut our losses. Looking forward to seeing him in the Premier League next season, and I'm sure Ewood will welcome him.

And yes, we do need to see this again...

Archived