BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

What's happened to pay as you play deals? I can't imagine another Premier league club would look at him based on his recent performances with the exception of one of the next year's newly promoted clubs. If he is as determined as Maji says then sproadic appearances over the rest of the season and a full injury-free preseason may get him back to a decent level if he still has his talent. If it doesn't pay off and he makes no appearances or gets injured then we don't have a huge loss.

He'd probably prefer the chance to have one last crack at the Prem than drop down to the Championship.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised it Reid decided against renewing anyway. He left on loan to QPR, a mid-table Championship club, earlier this season, for the simple reason that he wanted to play regular football.

I get the impression that, after so long in the treatment room, he just wants to play. He clearly isn't guaranteed to do so here.

I think Reid's best chance would be to transfer to a promoted prem team next season. I'm sure he'll cut it in this league, but I wouldn't be willing to offer him a new contract just because of his injuries. I'd bid him farewell, but a fond one nevertheless. That goal against Wigan on New Year 2005/6 is one of the best goals I've had the privelege of seeing live.

Reid will probably get few starts this season and some sub minutes. After the season is time to make a desicion. Honestly, Reid was better play than Grella and Andrews are now. We should give him all the time we can to prove himself.

I am actually a huge Reid fan - but I think that Grella brings much needed stability to the midfield. However - a midfield three of Nzonzi, Grella and Reid would provide a decent platform.

Reid offers cover for multiple positions - on his day he is an extremely effective midfield player. I hope he can prove his fitness and that maybe the club offer him a pay as you play type deal. In truth I think he owes Rovers - and maybe this type of contract will provide cover for both club and player.

He certainly does owe Rovers but I wouldn't blame him if he rejected a pay as you play contract, a football career is a short one and if he doesn't play much next year, which at the moment is likely, then he's in for a major loss. If he does go I will miss him, loved the goal against Wigan and the incident against Burnley in the FA Cup when the fan ran on the pitch!!

Very harsh headline

113 appearances in 7 years!! Not harsh at all..

06/07 - 3 starts, 0 subs - 0 goals

07/08 - 20 starts, 4 subs - 0 goals

08-09 - 4 starts - 0 subs - 0 goals

09-10 - 1 start, 3 subs - 0 goals

Prior to his new contract....

05/06 - 31 starts, 3 subs - 4 goals

04/05 - 23 starts, 5 subs - 2 goals

113 appearances in 7 years!! Not harsh at all..

06/07 - 3 starts, 0 subs - 0 goals

07/08 - 20 starts, 4 subs - 0 goals

08-09 - 4 starts - 0 subs - 0 goals

09-10 - 1 start, 3 subs - 0 goals

Prior to his new contract....

05/06 - 31 starts, 3 subs - 4 goals

04/05 - 23 starts, 5 subs - 2 goals

Not harsh? Misleading then? "Flop" sounds like he was a failure and couldn't cut it in the Premier League which is not at all true. Not his fault he's injured.

Not harsh? Misleading then? "Flop" sounds like he was a failure and couldn't cut it in the Premier League which is not at all true. Not his fault he's injured.

Typical red-top rag headline. Most misleading and not really fair to Reidy. :angry2:

Flop means unsuccessful. If anyone can prove that Reid has been anything other than unsuccessful in a Rovers shirt then you'll have a basis for complaining at the headline.

It may not sound nice, but its totally valid.

When he's played recently he's done well. Much better than the usual suspect too.

I think we can assume that the medical prognosis is not good and that the management and our insurers have consulted and come to the only conclusion that they could. He'll break down again sooner or later so we'd better have him off the payroll. Shame for him but thats the only occupational hazard they ever face...... apart from team mates birds etc. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived