BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time Up Pompey?

Stuart

I don't think there is any point in settling scores on this one.

Most other clubs lose if Pompey go bust.

Some lose points, some lose games, some miss out on TV money, some miss out on payments from transfers.

Give them their dough and wave bye-bye in the summer.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: Penny dropped.

The deal was done when Pompey were not yet in Administration. The PL would be within their rights to tell the Administrator they are taking the points and not giving him the cash. They probably have to do that given the Administrator might be replaced and the club placed into liquidation- to give Andrioninkou anything at this point would be grossly irresponsible. When/if the guy is legitimised, it would be a different matter.

It's in the regulations that the Premier can help 'clubs in distress' but this is at their discretion...and obviously the other clubs will be asked first and have to approve it.

The money is due to Portsmouth, it's just a matter of bringing it forward. Sensible solution. They won't benefit - they will lose the nine points as part of the deal.

Id be happier if they took the parachute payment early then they would be down regardless, even if they miraculously stayed up after a points deduction. They have been reckless and I read something almost on a daily basis which makes me think 'what the heck has gone on there?' todays being the 'convicted fraudster helping run the club' from the Telegraph article. For the sake of football in this country and their fans they need to survive, but survival must come at a pretty stiff price so other clubs, The FA, and even UEFA and FIFA learn from the dispraportionate amount of money spent compared to operating profits of football clubs in a bid to fund success.

In this country football clubs are traced back to local history and that should never be forgotton or lost. The issue that PFC are on the brink of dissapearing forever should be a wake up call to EVERYONE involved in football.

Nicko after today's findings and couple of things am wondering

1.) Inside info needed Andronikou the administrator is he in some way linked with the owner seems as though they know each other seems to me to be a front to try and buy more time can you shed any light on this.

2.) With the soap opera that is their club and new findings coming out every week what is the mood among premier league officials? I bet they wish now they could wash their hands of Pompey are they thinking with new revelations every week it might be better to totally wind-up the club to save any further embarrassement? They must be fed up to the back teeth with them.

3.) I know Dindane is interested in coming to us just out of curiosity I have been wondering how much is he on at Pompey I'd imagine he would have to take a pay cut to come here.

4.) When our very own player the 'AXE ' Mokoena signed for them on a free transfer how much in wages is he on at Pompey? I have to assume nothing would surprise me after what has gone on am just curious on this one as I don't think he would be able to find another club.

thanks very much for the info Nicko

So are the PL prepared to forward this kind of money to any/all PL club going into Administration - and what kind of message does that send out to clubs running to the limits of their borrowing - "don't worry the PL will bail you out"?

The issue that PFC are on the brink of dissapearing forever should be a wake up call to EVERYONE involved in football.

Why? The LUFC fiasco didn't divert the likes of Pompey, Livvie, MU and Pompey from their spend today and pay tomorrow policies did it?

So are the PL prepared to forward this kind of money to any/all PL club going into Administration - and what kind of message does that send out to clubs running to the limits of their borrowing - "don't worry the PL will bail you out"?

In my book first and foremost it gives the Revenue a huge victory and the incentive to get stuck into EVERY club in the land that owes them money!

Come on Den, no right minded team is going to plan to do what has happened to Portsmouth. You conveniently ignore the -9 points for doing this too!

So pompey go down - with massive debts & no parachute payments for the next 2 years?! Oooooh they look like they are in the real deep brown stuff then!

Yeah it does look very bad doesnt it. IF this goes ahead they will be £30,000,000 ish in debt, have lost 9 points, probally still have the same dodgy owners (as this would take the club out of administration?), have no parachute money and be likely to go into administration next season when in the Championship.

It does begger belief that the owners hung on so long to go into administration when it was obvious it had to happen and even more so that the administrator they have appoint appears to be linked in with the owners and not suitable. I really hope they dont windup completely for the fans but part of me wants it to happen now as the owners are just trying to play the system.

So pompey go down - with massive debts & no parachute payments for the next 2 years?! Oooooh they look like they are in the real deep brown stuff then!

Really Hughesy? Pompey in deep deep sh1t? Well I never. Thanks for telling us. :rolleyes:

In my book first and foremost it gives the Revenue a huge victory and the incentive to get stuck into EVERY club in the land that owes them money!

And is that a bad thing? Clubs should be run properly and pay their tax. I have to! The stupid spending and irresonsibiliy has to stop, if the PL / FA wont legistate to stop it then the laws of the land should.

Come on Den, no right minded team is going to plan to do what has happened to Portsmouth. You conveniently ignore the -9 points for doing this too!

Is the 9 point penalty you mention, applied next season as well [for being forwarded the cash], on top of the 9 point penalty this season for going into Administration LeChuck?

If so, then fair enough. If not, then it really isn't a penalty at all, because they were likely to go down any way.

As for no other team getting into debt problems in the future - Leeds's failures didn't stop Pompey did they? This is football and somewhere down the line another club will get into similar difficulties. All I ask, is will the PL treat them the same - have they got the cash to do that?

Nicko after today's findings and couple of things am wondering

1.) Inside info needed Andronikou the administrator is he in some way linked with the owner seems as though they know each other seems to me to be a front to try and buy more time can you shed any light on this. THE ADMINISTRATOR WAS APPOINTED BY CHAINRAI...SOMETHING THE TAXMAN DID NOT LIKE THE SOUND OF TOO MUCH.

2.) With the soap opera that is their club and new findings coming out every week what is the mood among premier league officials? I bet they wish now they could wash their hands of Pompey are they thinking with new revelations every week it might be better to totally wind-up the club to save any further embarrassement? They must be fed up to the back teeth with them. THE MAJORITY FEELING IS JUST TO GET THEM THROUGH THE SEASON AND THEN THEY BECOME SOMEONE ELSE'S PROBLEM.

3.) I know Dindane is interested in coming to us just out of curiosity I have been wondering how much is he on at Pompey I'd imagine he would have to take a pay cut to come here. I THINK HE IS ON AROUND £35K A WEEK. THAT IS HIS LENS CONTRACT WHICH POMPEY ARE PAYING FOR. HE WOULD GET THAT AT ROVERS.

4.) When our very own player the 'AXE ' Mokoena signed for them on a free transfer how much in wages is he on at Pompey? I have to assume nothing would surprise me after what has gone on am just curious on this one as I don't think he would be able to find another club. I THINK HE IS ON A SIMILAR £35K A WEEK DEAL...ANY WONDER THEY ARE SKINT? HE WAS A FREE, SO THAT EXPLAINS WHY HE GOT SO MUCH. BEAR IN MIND HE WAS A RATED A 'BARGAIN' SIGNING AT THE TIME. HE IS JUST ONE OF MANY WHO WILL BE SWEATING ON THEIR FUTURES IN THE SUMMER, BUT HE HAS A CONTRACT SO HE HAS TO BE PAID.

For the sake of football in this country and their fans they need to survive, but survival must come at a pretty stiff price so other clubs, The FA, and even UEFA and FIFA learn from the dispraportionate amount of money spent compared to operating profits of football clubs in a bid to fund success.

In this country football clubs are traced back to local history and that should never be forgotton or lost. The issue that PFC are on the brink of dissapearing forever should be a wake up call to EVERYONE involved in football.

For the sake of football Pompey need to crash and burn. The PL needs a wake-up call but at present all they have to do is find a bit of petty cash. £32m to save the face of the PL is small beer - can you just imagine what the guys at Sky are whispering to Scudamore and his band of muppets? The PL chairman, the FA and the PL management have consistently p!ssed billions down the drain when an opportunityexisted to secure the future of the game in this country and now they are reaping their reward. I hope Portsmouth are liquidated and the PL have to face the consequences, it would be a small price to pay.

This makes me so angry. The PL want nothing more than to sweep the mess under the carpet, by the cleaners to clean the carpet and then chuck the whole lot over the Football League. There is no question of trying to support Pompey, it's all about saving face. Disgusting behaviour on the part of the PL

You are so right Den. £32m to bail out a failing club is nothing compared to the potential revenue loss caused by the publicity if Pompey go under

Too bloody right. If you can't pay the bills get out of the game.

Too bloody right. If you can't pay the bills get out of the game.

Wouldn't this be applicable to most teams though

Agree with you on all accounts Paul except I hope you mean Portsmouth are liquidated for the sake of the game and not just with regard to Pompey themselves.

From a fans perspective this is not the supporters fault and they still deserve a team to support - whatever division.

Most fans knew that something along this lines would happen and to quote you

The PL chairman, the FA and the PL management have consistently p!ssed billions down the drain when an opportunityexisted to secure the future of the game in this country and now they are reaping their reward

is essentially the whole debacle and should be the reason the whole luaghing stock with regard to the game is brought to book and people are made accountable within the said bodies

Are these fargin bastiges still trading?

Get them out of here the sooner the better, they are taking the ######

So the fans loose their team, they didn't complain when they won the FA cup using money they didn't have

Make an example of them and any one else that takes the ###### out of the integrity of the game.

The FA are cretins and are only interested in the short term loss it will cause them and want to dump the problem on the fizzy pop league next season, anyone who thinks the game is better off saving a club that is operating illegally should examine the own morals.

Thank you

Wondering what the rules were for relegation to the Championship from the EPL.

Are the Championship actually obliged to take them? They can prevent a team coming up from a lower division but can they prevent one from coming down from the EPL? Surely the Football League must have a 'fit and proper' test. If so Pompey could survive as a club but have no league to play in. Anyone got any views/knowledge on this?

Also, it is mathematically possible for Pompey to get enough points to stay up, even if doc'd 9 points. If the EPL give them the parachute cash and they stay up, then what?

I'm probably in a minority of one but if it was me I'd play hardball, no money and if they fail then expunge all the results/points and take it on the chin. Sooner or later the authorities will have to grow some balls, and also be seen to have grown some balls, or else they will have no credibility whatsoever going forward and more WHam, Pompey situations will pop up like mushrooms in the years to come (IMO).

Wouldn't this be applicable to most teams though

I was thinking very specifically about HMRC when I posted this. Mostly when a business owes money it's owed to another business and there are ways of dealing with the matter. In the case of HMRC, with the exception of Employer's NI contributions, the money owed is that which has been deducted from employees and Pompey, in this instance, simply act as the conduit for paying taxes etc. The bulk of the money really belongs to the employees, so long as it reaches HMRC it doesn't matter how it gets there. I think this applies to many clubs but not most, if you get my drift. We know Rovers are in debt but can pay the bills, Pompey are in debt and can't.

Agree with you on all accounts Paul except I hope you mean Portsmouth are liquidated for the sake of the game and not just with regard to Pompey themselves.

From a fans perspective this is not the supporters fault and they still deserve a team to support - whatever division.

Yes the fans deserve a club and I understand all that goes with this aspect of Pompey's problems. What upsets me so much though is the game is clearly living beyond its means (£3.5 billion debt in the PL) and the PL are going to dig a few quid out from the back of the sofa, throw it at Pompey and wash their hands of the problem. All for the sake of avoiding the embarassment of having to re-jig the league table. So, yes, Portsmouth should be in administration or liquidated to bring the PL to its senses, this is what happens in business. I don't want to see the club go for any other reason.

Really Hughesy? Pompey in deep deep sh1t? Well I never. Thanks for telling us. :rolleyes:

No i mean it seems worse each day.

They take £32m now....

£14m to the taxman

£4m a month in wages....So by the end of June - they will be left with around £2m.

They will be relegated - no clubs will trust them on future transfers, players will be very sceptical about joining them.

Chanrai will probably own the ground....and the clubs new owners will still owe him & other debtors!

All that and they are supposedly going to try and get a new owner to rebuild them....Best thing they can do is go completely bust and re-form/ start again in the lower leagues.

Archived