[Archived] Bolton (Home) Preview

jrabrfc

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who said style?

you wrote it was ugly, a derogotory term in the context that you wrote it,

I don't think it was, actually.

I think Nicko was praising Rovers for using an effective game-plan that makes the most leverage out of what we have. It wasn't like watching Brazil, but it wasn't bad either. It was winning football.

One single word and some people have a right hissy fit. A bit hyper-sensitive, methinks.

I don't think it was, actually.

I think Nicko was praising Rovers for using an effective game-plan that makes the most leverage out of what we have. It wasn't like watching Brazil, but it wasn't bad either. It was winning football.

One single word and some people have a right hissy fit. A bit hyper-sensitive, methinks.

No. If he'd written that after most of the games we've watched, most of us would have agreed. What is annoying people is that it feels wrong to say that after this particular game and goes with the popular view of our team overall rather than reflecting what actually went on in this game. Effective most of us don't have a problem with. Survival we don't have a problem with. Ugly we wouldn't usually have a problem with but this time it's not correct in our opinion. that's all.

Our tabloid journo is just not getting it.

We are sensitive souls and have taken quite amount of Sh one t from the media in recent years.

I'd say that under Hughes we had in your face football to safeguard survival, followed by a period of decent quality footy, until the last 12 to 18 months whereby I personally felt it became sterile and devoid of entertainment at home with little style.

Under Ince I think that he attempted to engender a degree of purist (or snobs) football, but without results or money that was leading to relegation. I might add that it does not appear too dissimilar to Coyle's approach. For example, go to the top teams and try to match them with passing, ball possession. Result equals defeats with lessons in football handed out, teams such as us just cannot compete with them playing their game. This is just naive.

Allardyce has a tried and tested method, which if Newcastle had persevered with, they would not now be playing in the championship. Basically look to stand up to the opposition and pressurise them, then look to earn the right to compete with them when fitness and strength comes more to the fore as the game progresses, opposition tires and mistakes creep in.

Given a level playing field many would love their teams to play in a style akin to Arsenal, the purists footy, however they find limited success, when did they last win anything? Even SAF the most successful manager in recent times does not adopt this approach and no doubt makes allowances.

On a day when the richest club in the world played against England's most successful club (who under Benitez most certainly the term ugly football could be levied upon, well away from home at least, e.g. coming to the likes of Rovers and setting up for a nil nil and hoping to sneak a winner to sit on) in a boring drab goalless game. We get a report that labels our 3 nil home win in a local derby as "ugly"!

Get real.

So what's behind such a report?

As many others have also seen through the way in which Nixon has used his column in recent times in support of his bessie mate, might he not be just deflecting the increasing flack heading his way? :glare:

I've spoken to quite a few unhappy Piggies in the last few days who talk about player unhappiness, and who suggest that Megson would have kept them up.

So easy enough for his media puppet to spin a report which infers that free flowing total football is just around the corner. Imply that Rovers and Allardyce only beat them by using "ugly" methods, meaning not done by the likes of OC.

But fans are fickle and at the end of the day it's those points that make the difference.

What is the antonym of ugly? Well first in my thesaurus is beautiful.

But Nixon says that he was praising Rovers!

My advice would be for him to take his spade off this topic on here and get on the phone to Sam and beg his forgiveness.

I don't for one second think he will, as the more I hear about him the more arrogant he sounds!

Cue his continued deflection away from his use of the word "ugly" and cue the Nickoettes on their white chargers.

Oops, for clarity my posting and not my son's whose login my original posting went under by mistake!

We are sensitive souls and have taken quite amount of Sh one t from the media in recent years.

I'd say that under Hughes we had in your face football to safeguard survival, followed by a period of decent quality footy, until the last 12 to 18 months whereby I personally felt it became sterile and devoid of entertainment at home with little style.

Under Ince I think that he attempted to engender a degree of purist (or snobs) football, but without results or money that was leading to relegation. I might add that it does not appear too dissimilar to Coyle's approach. For example, go to the top teams and try to match them with passing, ball possession. Result equals defeats with lessons in football handed out, teams such as us just cannot compete with them playing their game. This is just naive.

Allardyce has a tried and tested method, which if Newcastle had persevered with, they would not now be playing in the championship. Basically look to stand up to the opposition and pressurise them, then look to earn the right to compete with them when fitness and strength comes more to the fore as the game progresses, opposition tires and mistakes creep in.

Given a level playing field many would love their teams to play in a style akin to Arsenal, the purists footy, however they find limited success, when did they last win anything? Even SAF the most successful manager in recent times does not adopt this approach and no doubt makes allowances.

On a day when the richest club in the world played against England's most successful club (who under Benitez most certainly the term ugly football could be levied upon, well away from home at least, e.g. coming to the likes of Rovers and setting up for a nil nil and hoping to sneak a winner to sit on) in a boring drab goalless game. We get a report that labels our 3 nil home win in a local derby as "ugly"!

Get real.

As many others have also seen through the way in which Nixon has used his column in recent times in support of his bessie mate, might he not be just deflecting the increasing flack heading his way? :glare:

I've spoken to quite a few unhappy Piggies in the last few days who talk about player unhappiness, and who suggest that Megson would have kept them up.

So easy enough for his media puppet to spin a report which infers that free flowing total football is just around the corner. Imply that Rovers and Allardyce only beat them by using "ugly" methods, meaning not done by the likes of OC.

But fans are fickle and at the end of the day it's those points that make the difference.

My advice would be for him to take his spade off this topic on here and get on the phone to Sam and beg his forgiveness.

I don't for one second think he will, as the more I hear about him the more arrogant he sounds!

Cue his continued deflection away from his use of the word "ugly" and cue the Nickoettes on their white chargers.

Oops, for clarity my posting and not my son's whose login my original posting went under by mistake!

Get real.

I think you're reading a tad too much into this. I wouldnt take such things so seriously.

You've spoken to Piggies? Good for you.

What players would be complaining then? Back it up.

Megson would have kept them up...right.

Keep going. Only maybe not in duplicate next time.

:rover: i'd give up if i was you nicko,the clowns on here will back GOB @#/? till the end,when he'sgone they willcall him like they call hughes now,% football,hoofball is the new complete football,ask hughsey,moton,gordon they are all right you know :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

:rover: i'd give up if i was you nicko,the clowns on here will back GOB @#/? till the end,when he'sgone they willcall him like they call hughes now,% football,hoofball is the new complete football,ask hughsey,moton,gordon they are all right you know :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

I am not backing Allardyce.

I just disagree with the use of the word ugly to describe Sunday's win and just trying to redress for fairness.

I have already suggested other adjectives for SA's approach, pragmatic.

What word would you use? Or did you not see the match?

You sit well together with your school yard mentality for debating.

:wstu:

Poor grammar, poor punctuation, needless profanity, poor content, mind-numbing repetition...what an UGLY post.

(Ugly as in ugly, not effective, or necessary, and I hope in this case, Ugly does mean relegation...)

I am not backing Allardyce.

I just disagree with the use of the word ugly to describe Sunday's win and just trying to redress for fairness.

I have already suggested other adjectives for SA's approach, pragmatic.

What word would you use? Or did you not see the match?

You sit well together with your school yard mentality for debating.

Could you name the unhappy Bolton players please.

Better still WHEN these 'Piggies' [as you call them] were maoning.

Was it after the Sopurs FA Cup tie or the draw at Wigan?

I feel we should be told.

Could you name the unhappy Bolton players please.

Better still WHEN these 'Piggies' [as you call them] were maoning.

Was it after the Sopurs FA Cup tie or the draw at Wigan?

I feel we should be told.

Cue his continued deflection away from his use of the word "ugly".

Piggies, is a colloquialism used in these parts for Bolton Wanderer supporters.

When where they moaning to me? As I said since Sunday, a couple before Sunday's game actually too.

I didn't ask them specifically which players they said were/are unhappy, I couldn't care less really.

Consider yourself told!

Piggies, is a colloquialism used in these parts for Bolton Wanderer supporters.

When where they moaning to me? As I said since Sunday, a couple before Sunday's game actually too.

I didn't ask them specifically which players they said were/are unhappy, I couldn't care less really.

Consider yourself told!

So, before and after the game...

And they heard players were unhappy...

Not much hard evidence there really, is there.

Chill out mate, honestly, you're taking it too seriously.

Alan Nixon begging Sam's forgiveness! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laugh all you want Bry but he WILL need to grovel a bit in order to sort it out with Allardyce thats for sure. I don't think his piece was malicious just contentious BUT protest and quote away all he likes but like the rest of us Allardyce sounds very weary and fed up with the give a dog a bad name mentality of the press and media. It's worn very thin around here. Worse still for Nicko .... the LT haver picked up on it and will be keen to keep the pot boiling to settle old scores.

Also as Nicko has burnt his bridges big time with the Dingles and if Notlob go down then he'll be tarred with the disastrous Coyle appointment and will forever be as popular as a turd in a swimming pool at both clubs. :tu:

In a nutshell Alan Nixon needs Sam far more than Sam needs him and he'll well know it..... I'm right aren't I Alan? :P

Absolutely. That was my take also. It amazes me how presumably grown men profess to be offended by the word "ugly". We're acting like pre-teen girls playing dress up tea party and if everything isn't beautiful and perfect it counts as a disaster and the end of the world.

It's fairly obvious to me that the Rovers are not a collection of male models playing football's equivalent of Swan Lake on the pitch. That dubious honor goes to Arsenal.

Rovers football is the same as it has always been in recent years, pragmatic and effective. I have no doubt that Sam will improve things further next season and that there is an outside prospect that we'll be stretching for Europe next year and certainly the year after that. We are a solid workmanlike team, which sometimes plays plays 'ugly' football and sometimes not, and I, for one, am content with that.

So, before and after the game...YES

And they heard players were unhappy...YES

Not much hard evidence there really, is there. I DON'T NEED ANY 'HARD' EVIDENCE. IF I AM CHATTING FOOTBALL TO ANYBODY I DON'T ASK FOR CORROBORATIVE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THEIR VIEWS.

All subjective and based on opinions, just like your opinion that Rovers are master of ugly football, and you felt that this reflected how they played on Sunday.

Let's just agree to disagree.

In a nutshell Alan Nixon needs Sam far more than Sam needs him and he'll well know it..... I'm right aren't I Alan? :P

Never have, never will...and I would be pretty sure that cuts both ways.

For your info, Sam's quotes about 'perceptions' etc came directly after the Bolton game and NOT after reading any match report.

I thought it was an odd thing to say, but he usually does things for a reason.

I think that reason will be apparent shortly.

;)

All subjective and based on opinions, just like your opinion that Rovers are master of ugly football, and you felt that this reflected how they played on Sunday.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Backed down a bit. Wonder why?

Saying that there are unhappy players is not an 'opinion.' You presented it as a fact. When it came to the crunch it was idle mutterings.

i agree with sam on this one, we go and get our biggest win of the season against one of our local rivals and all what some of the press can say its ugly football by blackburn that won the game!! Get real FFS, we played some great stuff in the second half and if was not cause of their keeper, the scoreline would of been of a higher margain to us. Bolton were dreadfull, all they did all game was lump if forward to Davies hoping he could get the nick on's but still the press reckon they are a attractive team to watch now under Coyle!!!!!

The main fact is that Coyle has helped sent 2 of our local rivals to the championship, i wonder what the press will say about that come May!!!

Archived