BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton (Home) Preview

jrabrfc

The lack of Bolton fans even at discounted prices tells its own story on their current view of Boltons first team chances yesterday.

Coyle bringing in three rookies during the january transfer window to fight a relegation battle has shown niavety of the highest order.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest you watch the first 40 minutes again...I don;t really want to...but it was a tactic designed to pin back a side with an unstable defence and a keeper who sticks to his line.

It worked.

I don't know why people get precious about the tactics that are being used and getting results.

Bolton - for one - have to toughen up and get some men and leaders in their side. That is their reality right now.

I suggest you watch the first 40 minutes again...I don;t really want to...but it was a tactic designed to pin back a side with an unstable defence and a keeper who sticks to his line.

It worked.

I don't know why people get precious about the tactics that are being used and getting results.

Bolton - for one - have to toughen up and get some men and leaders in their side. That is their reality right now.

Just think it could have been phrased better than "Ugly Football" Nicko. You may have a point to a degree but you know what a tough time this club has with its image outside of Blackburn.

"Direct" or "Effective" is how it would be described if many other clubs used it as a tactic - you are one of a very limited number of journalists who sees us as anything other than something that you might scrape off your shoe, thankfully, but this is a rare moment of negative propaganda for the club from you I feel.

You might know what you mean, and may mean it partly as a compliment, but clowns like the MOTD pundits (mentioned elsewhere) seem to base their opinion on stuff like this rather than looking for themselves.

i think Bolton made the wrong choice in giving Coyle the job in the 1st place, he might try and get his team to play attractive football (which i did not see a lot off yesterday by Bolton) but i don't think the guy has got what it takes to help a club out who are stuck in a relegation fight!.

He should of bought in some experience lads in the january transfer window, who know all about getting out of relgegation dog fight, not 2 youngsters who are too lightweight at the moment and not got enough experience yet in this league.

I think everyones problem with your comments Nicko is the timing-by this seasons standards yesterday was like watching Brazil, to coin a phrase. Your words would have been more readily accepted after for example the Hull game.

I can only comment on the games I have seen. In the main you have played 'ugly football' in most of the matches I have seen, but of late - against Wigan, Hull and Bolton - you seem to have got better at it. The players are probably seeing the value in it.

Take Pedersen, for instance. He now realises his role in the side and has been a revelation.

Diouf plays for free kicks. You have to watch him to see what he does. Watch how often he gets a set-piece even on halfway and that become the launching pad for an attack. Look at the first goal against Wigan to see that.

I also note there are NO complaints about tactics line-ups now. You are playing 4-5-1 but there is no bleating because Kalinic is getting stronger and able to play the role. It's PLAYERS that make tactical line-ups work. Di Santo was labouring and that's why you looked bad a couple of months ago.

The point remains...it IS 'ugly football' but it is what is needed to get out of trouble.

Read the report again...it makes that point.

Rovers are among the masters of ugly football, but it is effective football and survival football.

You can't say any different.

Bolton and many others at the bottom have to learn to do the same, scrap more, play the percentages, fight, be nasty, make the best of what you have.

It's not a criticism, it's an observation and it's a fact.

You could have watched two champions league contenders yesterday and certainly wouldn't have seen any better football on show.

That wasn't even ugly football, is was complete and utter rubbish and the players on show :o

You could have watched two champions league contenders yesterday and certainly wouldn't have seen any better football on show.

That wasn't even ugly football, is was complete and utter rubbish and the players on show :o

Allardyce out = just to even my comments up :tu:

It worked.

The problem, if there is one, is the "ugly" label. Take away that label and we would all agree with the style of football we play.

It's a bit like the "4-4-2" or "4-5-1" label that people put on team selection. It's not the formation that matters, it's how positive the team are. Play 4-5-1 with a negative attitude and you'll see the lone striker isolated and a resort to the long ball. Play the same formation with a positive attitude [which every successful team, or individual does] and you will see the lone striker backed up with willing runners and plenty of support.

and I hadn't seen your reference to tactics when I wrote this :)

Just think it could have been phrased better than "Ugly Football" Nicko. You may have a point to a degree but you know what a tough time this club has with its image outside of Blackburn.

"Direct" or "Effective" is how it would be described if many other clubs used it as a tactic - you are one of a very limited number of journalists who sees us as anything other than something that you might scrape off your shoe, thankfully, but this is a rare moment of negative propaganda for the club from you I feel.

You might know what you mean, and may mean it partly as a compliment, but clowns like the MOTD pundits (mentioned elsewhere) seem to base their opinion on stuff like this rather than looking for themselves.

Firstly, I don't give a toss about pundits who don't watch games in full. Their opinions mean nothing to me.

Secondly, I don't get why people should be upset about what is glaringly obvious. If my team had to win games to survive I would be delighted to see them using a tactic that works.

Ultimately, in the Premier League, results are all that matters. This is a means to an end.

When Big Sam was at Bolton he did the same, he played on the opposition's weaknesses. It's one way of playing the game. I'm not saying I would pay to watch it, but it shows organisation and planning and it means you will stay up.

The problem, if there is one, is the "ugly" label. Take away that label and we would all agree with the style of football we play.

There's nothing wrong with being ugly...

Just to respond to earlier comments...

Rovers are among the masters of ugly football, but it is effective football and survival football.

You can't say any different.

Bolton and many others at the bottom have to learn to do the same, scrap more, play the percentages, fight, be nasty, make the best of what you have.

For 40 minutes yesterday you played for throw-ins and free kicks. It worked. Bolton were pinned back and pretty useless.

You won at a canter despite playing without your two best centre halves.

But don't tell me it was pretty. It works. Get used to it. Get over it.

Stop pretending you're being descriptive. No-one ever describes anything as 'ugly' without trying to be offensive or derogatory.

It's all a matter of opinion anyway, you can't present it as fact. We scored a very well worked goal for the first, we would have scored an even better one had their keeper not saved Hoilett's header.

i think Bolton made the wrong choice in giving Coyle the job in the 1st place, he might try and get his team to play attractive football (which i did not see a lot off yesterday by Bolton) but i don't think the guy has got what it takes to help a club out who are stuck in a relegation fight!.

He should of bought in some experience lads in the january transfer window, who know all about getting out of relgegation dog fight, not 2 youngsters who are too lightweight at the moment and not got enough experience yet in this league.

There would have been no point in playing Weiss or Wilshere from the start yesterday. The team that started was the team that had outplayed Spurs for two-third of a Cup tie the week before and slogged it out at Wigan and deserved the right to go in again.

Bolton will need to win games to stay up. 'Experienced lads' don't win games. Talented footballers do. Weiss andWilshere have theability to win the winnable games they have coming up. If they don't, then they were the wrong signings. I suspect they will work out well.

I would remind you Bolton were second bottom when Coyley took over. If they get a point from their game in hand they will be out of the bottom three. Job done.

Stop pretending you're being descriptive. No-one ever describes anything as 'ugly' without trying to be offensive or derogatory.

It's all a matter of opinion anyway, you can't present it as fact. We scored a very well worked goal for the first, we would have scored an even better one had their keeper not saved Hoilett's header.

The words 'survival football,' 'effective football' and 'ugly football' all applied.

At the moment they amount to the same thing.

Firstly, I don't give a toss about pundits who don't watch games in full. Their opinions mean nothing to me.

Secondly, I don't get why people should be upset about what is glaringly obvious. If my team had to win games to survive I would be delighted to see them using a tactic that works.

Ultimately, in the Premier League, results are all that matters. This is a means to an end.

When Big Sam was at Bolton he did the same, he played on the opposition's weaknesses. It's one way of playing the game. I'm not saying I would pay to watch it, but it shows organisation and planning and it means you will stay up.

There's nothing wrong with being ugly...

Thing is we do care...they might be misinformed but sadly the likes of Lineker, Lawrenson and Hansen have a huge influence on what the footballing population believe. The word "Ugly" is one that is easily picked up on, and does little to help our public image, which is critical in winning both local fans through the gates, and winning them in far flung places like SE Asia where there is potentially a huge market to be tapped into.

In contrast Newcastle in the 90's were seen as "attractive" because they could score 3 but let in 4...

Obviously your job is to write what you see, not what people on this board want you to write, but as you are just about the only "friendly" journo to us I am aware of in the national tabloids, it would be nice to get a bit of the Blue and White eyeballs effect that other clubs seem to enjoy, despite their shortcomings.

Sometimes it isn't what you say but how you say it, and Ugly is a very big word.

Why wasnt the John Terry lump to Ashley Cole goal (Goal of the month) classed as Ugly Football then?! :blink:

Little old rovers do it and its 'Ugly'.

Well I for one dont care, I hope we continue our Ugly form and tw@t the big boys who are coming up! :brfcsmilie:

Thing is we do care...they might be misinformed but sadly the likes of Lineker, Lawrenson and Hansen have a huge influence on what the footballing population believe. The word "Ugly" is one that is easily picked up on, and does little to help our public image, which is critical in winning both local fans through the gates, and winning them in far flung places like SE Asia where there is potentially a huge market to be tapped into.

In contrast Newcastle in the 90's were seen as "attractive" because they could score 3 but let in 4...

Obviously your job is to write what you see, not what people on this board want you to write, but as you are just about the only "friendly" journo to us I am aware of in the national tabloids, it would be nice to get a bit of the Blue and White eyeballs effect that other clubs seem to enjoy, despite their shortcomings.

Sometimes it isn't what you say but how you say it, and Ugly is a very big word.

Can I suggest you read the report again? Your manager has shrewdly employed a tactic that has worked before and is clearly working again. The players are now 'buying into it' as is shown by the fact the season has turned around.

Four home wins in a row against the kind of teams you can impose yourselves on has turned it round.

I am not interest in 'image' as I prefer reality.

The reality is you have stayed up again.

End of.

Let the TV clowns go on about their tactics and their pet teams. It doesn't matter.

You can't say that Rovers play attractive football because they don't. They don't have the players to do that. So they play in a way that gets results. It's the way of the world.

It's the same with Stoke, only they are better at it because they have been doing it longer. Second season up and they are safe.

The bottom line is there are a lot of weak sides in the Premier and you have got safe by doing what you do best for just a handful of games. It's worked.

Why wasnt the John Terry lump to Ashley Cole goal (Goal of the month) classed as Ugly Football then?! :blink:

Little old rovers do it and its 'Ugly'.

Well I for one dont care, I hope we continue our Ugly form and tw@t the big boys who are coming up! :brfcsmilie:

With respect, Terry's long ball was fantastic and landed at the full back's toe.

You did something similar against Hull - when Olsson did just as well - and, as I recall, were praised for it in my report.

The tactics for the first 40 minutes yesterday were designed to do something and worked.

I'll say it again...there is nothing wrong with ugly if it is successful.

I only saw the highlights on MOTD so I can't comment on the match other than to say that was a great three points for us. What's worrying me is in todays paper our passing completion rate was 55%. That was the lowest in the Premier League by ANY team. According to the paper's stat's nearly every other pass is missplaced, that probably accounts for us having only 40% of possession. If we play like that against Liverpool it'll be a repeat of last seasons debacle.

There would have been no point in playing Weiss or Wilshere from the start yesterday. The team that started was the team that had outplayed Spurs for two-third of a Cup tie the week before and slogged it out at Wigan and deserved the right to go in again.

Bolton will need to win games to stay up. 'Experienced lads' don't win games. Talented footballers do. Weiss andWilshere have theability to win the winnable games they have coming up. If they don't, then they were the wrong signings. I suspect they will work out well.

I would remind you Bolton were second bottom when Coyley took over. If they get a point from their game in hand they will be out of the bottom three. Job done.

The words 'survival football,' 'effective football' and 'ugly football' all applied.

At the moment they amount to the same thing.

Precious?

Why is it that some seem to be getting all precious at Coyley failing at Bolton?

He has shown that he was naive whilst at Burnley, playing a gung ho style away from home.

And now he is similarly being naive at Bolton with a group of players not capable of playing beautiful football.

"Coyle truly is the messiah, managing to get both Bolton & Burnley relegated in the same season.” Even John Bond couldn’t manage that!

Precious?

Why is it that some seem to be getting all precious at Coyley failing at Bolton?

He has shown that he was naive whilst at Burnley, playing a gung ho style away from home.

And now he is similarly being naive at Bolton with a group of players not capable of playing beautiful football.

"Coyle truly is the messiah, managing to get both Bolton & Burnley relegated in the same season.” Even John Bond couldn’t manage that!

Is it? When did the season end...I missed that.

For Burnley, when he left them in the lurch despite his many proclamations about loyalty etc..

For Bolton, when he won't compromise his misplaced ideals of "beautiful" football at the expense of style over substance, aka "ugly" football.

Fair enough Nicko I get what you were saying in the article - a kind of backhanded compliment I suppose - I guess we all get a bit prickly when criticism comes after that very rare game where, at long long last, we the supporters actually approve of the performance (well me at any rate).

I think the thing that pressed my button was the 'nasty' comment - which we aren't despite Wenger, the Beeb pundits etc etc saying otherwise - anyhow I get what you mean so happy to let it slide.

If Mr Coyle shares your view it will be worth watching Bolton's highlights for the rest of the season to see if they do start kicking 7 shades out of the opposition :rolleyes: then we'll know where he got the idea from.

Love and peace man.

Don't think this has been mentioned directly, but how great was it to see the players going absolutely mental when each goal was scored?

It's usually the trend these days in the Premiership to have a kiss and a fondle, but the banter and jokes the lads (young, and old) seemed to enjoy after all 3 goals went in was a joy to watch !

After the city match, the reports of in-fighting and fall outs was a real worry. Seemingly, those issues seem to have been put behind us and we can finish the season on a high !

Well done Sam and the boys !

Fair enough Nicko I get what you were saying in the article - a kind of backhanded compliment I suppose - I guess we all get a bit prickly when criticism comes after that very rare game where, at long long last, we the supporters actually approve of the performance (well me at any rate).

I think the thing that pressed my button was the 'nasty' comment - which we aren't despite Wenger, the Beeb pundits etc etc saying otherwise - anyhow I get what you mean so happy to let it slide.

If Mr Coyle shares your view it will be worth watching Bolton's highlights for the rest of the season to see if they do start kicking 7 shades out of the opposition :rolleyes: then we'll know where he got the idea from.

Love and peace man.

Bolton need to get 'nasty' - I think that was one of the points I was trying to make.

For Burnley, when he left them in the lurch despite his many proclamations about loyalty etc..

For Bolton, when he won't compromise his misplaced ideals of "beautiful" football at the expense of style over substance, aka "ugly" football.

I believe he left Burney in 14th...which is a lurch most people would be glad to have.

As for Bolton I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Hopefully he gets this mob through. I suspect when he has time to play the game the way he wants you will be choking on your words.

I look forward to that.

Archived