BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton (Home) Preview

jrabrfc

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite having a very good home record there's been some nagging concerns about our general performance since the new year. But today's match left me thinking that's probably one of the best home performances of the season so far. We started the game very brightly (nice for a change) and really should have took the lead before we did. Even Pedersen managed to reach the goal with one of his long throws, which usually do well to reach the box let alone the goal. Kalinic hit the post again, this guy as a serious problems with these goalposts down at Ewood I'm sure.

But then came probably the best worked goal we've scored this season. This may not be entirely correct but it's how I remember it, Fat Boy Davies mis-controlled the ball and it rolls out of play, Salgado takes a quick throw to Diouf who then lays it off to Holiett (or it might have Nzonzi) who plays a beautiful long-ranged pass, I remember reading somewhere (might have been on here) that a inch-perfect long range pass is one of the finest pieces of skill you can see in a fotball match, I wouldn't disagree with that. As soon as you saw the ball floating in the air towards Pedersen you could tell it was going to result in a big chance for Rovers. Pedersen completed the pass that was made easy thanks to the superb ball and then Kalinic via a defleciton from Knight managed to smash it in and give Rovers a well deserved lead.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't all plain sailing for Rovers, Notlob did have a few chances but Robbo had a really good game and was at hand to prevent Notlob when they got a few opportunties. Also a mention for Big Sam,'s subs and tactics, again today I thought he got them spot on. I'm guessing 95 out of a 100 of us would have brought on Chimbonda to replace the injured Nelsen, the other 5 of us would have moved Nzonzi back to partner Givet. But Keith Andrews at centreback! surely a recipe for disaster? as it turns out it was a masterstroke. Andrews as usual was watching the game by-pass him in central midfield but the introduction of Grella gave us more steel and a bigger physical presence in midfield which helped us compete really well in central areas. Whilst Andrews did a very good job at centreback, to say he's suppose to be a "League One" player playing out of position he was outstanding. Whether that's a sign of just how dire Notlob's strikeforce of Davies and Elmander are, or that Keith as found a position that more suits his abilties i.e. he doesn't need to bother trying to pick out a pass just hoof it clear like our defenders usually do. But even the biggest Andrews hater as got to give him some credit for that performance today. The second sub and the tactical switch that came with it also worked to perfection, I was starting to think that Holiett was just starting to get involved in the game and then he's hauled off. Weird decision you might think. But no, the switch to 4-4-2 meant that we had a more attacking threat and the sub Roberts scores the second (which the clown in the goal really should have saved I might add).

Whilst there wasn't a player who you could say played badly I think two players stood out amongst the rest. Givet and Kalinic would battle it out for my Man of the Match. Also a mention for Grella who came on and was superb I thought, Nzonzi looked a lot more comfortable with Grella alongside him, just a shame he can't keep fit.

Final note on Notlob, they looked very poor indeed the only player that really stood out was the Korean guy who looks a decent player. Thankfully for Notlob you'd say there's a lot of poor teams down near the bottom this season. Portsmouth, Burnley, Hull, Wolves, Wigan and Sunderland, I'd say they should have enough in their team to finish above at least three of thoose.

No it doesn't at all, I played semi pro for 10 years and you're talking out your rear end.

Ah, you played football and never tired?

Tell the managers of all the football clubs that ever existed that playing on heavy pitches doesn't tire the muscles. They will tell you different.

Can't believe you're so arrogant.

Great game. 3 goals and a clean sheet. Diouf and Gamst looks like new players and Givet is rock-solid at CB.

We have some gems in Olsson, Kalinic and Nzonzi. How anyone can moan after this and the games we have played lately is beyond me.

Predictably the usual moaners / Allardyce detractors / appear to be licking their wounds and keeping schhtum at the moment. They must be seething.

Like Arnie I've a feeling 'They'll be back'.

Ah, you played football and never tired?

Tell the managers of all the football clubs that ever existed that playing on heavy pitches doesn't tire the muscles. They will tell you different.

Will the budget extend to sending em on holiday again every week I wonder?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. All that squad needs is a really dominant / experienced midfield presence. We've been crying out for one for years and now exacerbated by Tugays retirement it is even more obvious. Grella is a long way toward being that man if only we could keep him fit, which unfortunately now seems a pipe dream.

Couldnt agree more , we really need a 100% balls out no nonsense leader in the middle of the park but until we shift some of our midfielders I think we are stuck with what we have.

He certainly has the presence. Playing ninety minutes with a bandage!

Its more of an experience kinda thing, age and respect from other team players only comes with time in the team and i dont see a leader at present, maybe Grella but he is injured too often, I think we need to bring one in and it would certainly cost.

Dubai tour worked wonders then

We go on holiday...many disagree with it...we then get our biggest win of the season :lol:

I feel that everyone is getting carried away as usual just because we won today. Yes there were some solid performances by one or two especially Kalinic, but overall despite scoring 3 goals, I thought that the "football" that we played was terrible. We hardly strung two passes together, the ball was permanently up in the air and there seemed little cohesion. Good desperate defending does not make a good performance.

We seem to be safe now, so can we please start trying to play proper football which we can actually enjoy watching rather than being ashamed at our standard of play.

Ok time clear this up - are you a dingle or a Bolton fan?

No real need to look down after todays win. It was a bit like kicking away a blind mans stick today though.

I'm afraid we won despite of the manager and not because of him. Maybe sums up the season really.

The league this season is of such low quality even our poor team are comfortable.

Nevertheless well done to all, especially the tireless Nico.

Its nothing to do with how poor others are, its do to with us beating the teams we have to.

Niko's goal settled us down; a well-worked move and great finish.

We looked a much better shaped team when Grella came on. He adds something extra to midfield.

Not one player had a bad game although I thought Junior was not quite up to my expectations of him.

Well played the lads. Well done BFS.

4375798387_48c48e8c14_o.jpg

4375798673_38d0c758fd_o.jpg

Thought the snow got everyone going, was great sat where it couldn't get us!

Nice win for Rovers today. Thought it would've been much more difficult than that, two goals from two strikers and a clean sheet. More of the same please!

All in all its been a great day and the team now appear to have a togetherness about them just look at the way they all celebrated every goal and the way Big Sam was jumping up and down with the rest of bench when the 3rd goal went in. No doubt the Allardyce haters will bide their time until Rovers get beat again but for now lets savour the fact that a month ago we were in a relegation scrap and now a month on we are talking about Europe. As for roversinmyblood's comments i can only think thats its not Blackburn Rovers who are in you blood but another Rovers as some of your comments are just baffling to say the least. A 3-0 win and your still picking holes in everything and anything. Football is a results business and like it or not Big Sam is getting these results (at home) and this was another priceless 3 points and to top it off Keith Andrews is actually being singled out for some praise for a change and long may it continue

Kalinic, Givet & Diouf - FANTASTIC

Robbo, Pedersen & Olsson - very good

All the rest did well too. Credit where its due, Andrews did a decent job at centre back too!

• 13 home games played, just 12 conceded and 2 losses!
  • 13 points taken from the last 18 available....at a crucuial stage!
  • Had we been mid table form away from home...we would be sat in 8th now!

I wanted to go and was about to set off, but I kept getting told nasty things about the weather. As it's 217 miles each way and I drive a convertible, I didn't really fancy getting stuck. So my seat may be empty but it's not willingly.

Even had flasks of hot soup and chai latte ready for the way up. Drinking it the living room now!

We made it meeting our ride in Edgeware!! Only about 45 minutes was treacherous, and that was just the right lane.

Good result and not a bad performance to boot.

Bolton did exactly what we do away from home when we go 1 down, THEY GAVE UP.

Some good all round performances today, especially Villas, and it’s a good day to be Rovers fan.

Next....

Diouf - FANTASTIC

:rock:

Does anybody know why the game is not being shown on football first tonight ?

ESPN games can't be shown on FF by Sky.

BTW, Slaven Bilic is on MOTD2 tonight, will be interesting to hear his thoughts on Niko.

Good result and not a bad performance to boot.

Bolton did exactly what we do away from home when we go 1 down, THEY GAVE UP.

Some good all round performances today, especially Villas, and it’s a good day to be Rovers fan.

Next....

:rock:

You're querying Hughsey's praise of Diouf? I thought Diouf was great today. It doesn't hurt to admit it Gav!

Like most of us I was surprised Sam moved Andrews in the middle,but straight after the match on Rovers tv he explained the reason,and it's down to Bobby Mimms who mentioned he had played centre half on a few ocasions when he was at Wolves,and did ok,so fair play to Sam,good teamwork on and off the pitch.....

ESPN games can't be shown on FF by Sky.

BTW, Slaven Bilic is on MOTD2 tonight, will be interesting to hear his thoughts on Niko.

Going on the bbc's "coverage" our games this season and last i doubt bilic will get a word on kalanic.

I think it's hilarious that he's slateing hansons Liverpool, chiles keeps interupting to try and diffuse it.

Archived