BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton (Home) Preview

jrabrfc

Guest roverspogges

Hopefully this win can give us some confidence to possibly nick a point or two against the better teams we have coming up. We never look like getting a result against the top clubs,Villa being the exception.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good win. But how bad were Bolton - was Davies even on the pitch?

Personally I thought the first half, apart from the well-worked goal, was nigh on unwatchable. The match was won by Robbo's 2 saves at a crucial time and some good subbing by Sam. We were much better in the 2nd half; Roberts supporting Nico made us much more of a threat and I thought Grella made a big difference in midfield. Roberts did really well with his goal to keep his eye on the ball while turning 180 degrees and getting something on a ball dropping over his shoulder.

An easy win in the end.

Worried about Nelsen though, reminded me of when Shearer did his cruciate, could be the end of Nelly's world cup dream.

Said on commentry that he had hyper extended his knee not sending him for tests should be alright for next week so hopefully the docs are right and its nothing more serious. Is Sambas ban finished now?

Givet is worth every bit of the £4m we paid.

He looks a bargain as a centre back but a rip off as a full back.

He needs to be the first name on the team sheet in that position, then Sam can pick Samba or Nelsen with him. Unfortunately for Nelsen that decision could be made for him, I hope it's not a bad injury.

Another solid performance from Olsson, he's definitely first choice left back now. He gives us more going forward than Givet does, which allows Diouf/Hoilett/Pedersen freedom to roam and support Kalinic because they know he'll overlap and provide width.

Key result - going into the next 3 games with some hope now.

All those slagging off Andrews in the past - he did well today - slotting into the makeshift back 4 very well. He can cope against the bottom half of the premiership (just) but I agree he's totally lost against the top 6.

Nzonzi played well again - he won't getthe headlines but is playing a big part - he must be the bargin signing of the summer.

Roberts tried his best not to score - hitting Jaaskelainen with his shot, but Kalinic is starting to show his potential.

I cant believe we are 10 points off the Champions League place despite our season!

Makes you fear for the weakening of English sides this season in the bigger picture of the Champions League.

I think its a one-off season though.

We are 3 points off Birmingham who the whole of the country had been raving about until recently, albeit with an extra game.

I feel that everyone is getting carried away as usual just because we won today. Yes there were some solid performances by one or two especially Kalinic, but overall despite scoring 3 goals, I thought that the "football" that we played was terrible. We hardly strung two passes together, the ball was permanently up in the air and there seemed little cohesion. Good desperate defending does not make a good performance.

We seem to be safe now, so can we please start trying to play proper football which we can actually enjoy watching rather than being ashamed at our standard of play.

Lets try to put a positive spin on todays overall performance. The result was simply fantastic. Some of the football played was very very good but intermingled was a lot of poor stuff. Granted, Bolton were awful apart from a 5 minute spell at the start of the second half.

I always think of Bolton as a hardworking unified outfit, under Mr Coyle they seem to have gone 4 steps backward rather that progression.

Looking at the two line ups pre match, I was fearing for Rovers, especially with a certain Andrews lining up in midfield at the expense of Reid, Dunny and a certain Mr Basturk. I didnt see how Rovers could cope in the centre of the park versus the likes of Taylor, the chinese chap and the combatative Muamba.

Glad to say though that after 45 minutes I was happy with an explosive and well executed finish from Niko. The lad is, as I predicted very early on, the real deal. He is going to score a lot of goals at Ewood if we can keep him and provide a supply line. Got to include Junior in that as his ball to MGP led him to cushion a header right into the path of the striding Kalinic and bang 1-0 Rovers.

The injury to Nelsen concerned me looking at the bench. as he went off I was astounded as the expert opted to put andrews in the back 4 rather than opting for a real defender in Chimbonda whilst Grella came into the fold. I have to say that Andrews did quite well, not as a defender but in the chaos stakes. He won NO headers, he intercepted 4 passes and he played 1 simply fantastic ball. He was very lucky because as he saying goes, CHAOS REIGNS. His lack of defensive agttributes caused Bolton to lose their attacking prowess, I base that on davies and co wondering what Andrews was going to do next ! I cant ive the lad anymore stick because we kept a clean sheet so well done lad.

As the teams came out for the second half we witnessed a snowstorm akin to the Arctic, I have only ever seen snow like that around the Falklands. Bolton huffed and Rovers held firm. Indeed only a fine save from Jussi stopped Junior from notching from a fine diving header. It wasnt pretty and Rovers quickly got a second, Roberts getting the benefit of doubt for offside and notching a goal before Givet finished Bolton off with glancing header. 3-0 tells a tale, Rovers were good value for their win whilst Coyle and Bolton are in trouble, big trouble.

I hope Zulu comes on to comment. Bolton are shoddy and have to be followed by the worst ever set of away support I have ever seen. I know Rovers have support issues but really, for £15 and a local derby the Wanderers turn out was atrocious.

I listened to sam on talksport on the way home, 8 wins and 4 draws at home is a proud record. I hope we can see fit to take on the likes of Arsenal, manure and chelsea when they arrive at Ewood. The likes of Everton abnd Brum have to be games where we target a win.

34 points in February looks good. I wonder if the Dubai sun can last long enough to see Rovers get a bonus point at Anfield. How I would love to see the fat spanish waiter take one on the chin from Sams boys next Saturday afternoon.

Well done Rovers, a healthy double over our nearest and dearest.

Lets try to put a positive spin on todays overall performance.

:blink:

What a strange way to open a post after a 3-0 win, sums up how this board is at the moment.

A 3-0 victory doesn't need any spin at all to be positive. I know the rest of your post was pretty positive, but the opening line has me baffled!

I feel that everyone is getting carried away as usual just because we won today. Yes there were some solid performances by one or two especially Kalinic, but overall despite scoring 3 goals, I thought that the "football" that we played was terrible. We hardly strung two passes together, the ball was permanently up in the air and there seemed little cohesion. Good desperate defending does not make a good performance.

We seem to be safe now, so can we please start trying to play proper football which we can actually enjoy watching rather than being ashamed at our standard of play.

You deserve to support Portsmouth.

The injury to Nelsen concerned me looking at the bench. as he went off I was astounded as the expert opted to put andrews in the back 4 rather than opting for a real defender in Chimbonda whilst Grella came into the fold. I have to say that Andrews did quite well, not as a defender but in the chaos stakes. He won NO headers, he intercepted 4 passes and he played 1 simply fantastic ball. He was very lucky because as he saying goes, CHAOS REIGNS. His lack of defensive agttributes caused Bolton to lose their attacking prowess, I base that on davies and co wondering what Andrews was going to do next ! I cant ive the lad anymore stick because we kept a clean sheet so well done lad.

Of all the posts I have read about Keith, this is the best and most imaginative. I'm convinced that he's headed for legendary status. His crappiness has thrown Owen's plans into turmoil.

We have never had a player this good surely?

Lets savour the beauty of mid table obscurity for a moment. It takes the pressure off. It builds confidence to press on for a top 8 position and a million quid more pay out money. It makes players wavering over contracts confident that they wont be involved in a relegation dogfight, and it attracts players to the club who wont make the top 6 list but fancy a solid Premiership club.It's a beautiful thing.

Rovers in your blood? Who are you trying to fool?

On the day we can only beat the team that's put in front of us and we did that convincingly.

Must be the only fan base in the world that has people complaining after a three nil win over a local rival.

Brilliant result. Well worth the frostbite I got from Ewood.

Yes, very weird. I watched the match in my underpants with the fan on full blast. Sorry if that image is a bit too much for the more sensitive types.

We have shown that we already have the players to play good football so why don't we? Its because Sam wants to play hoof it forward percentage football!!

But we do, quote from the BBC website:

1312: Brilliant football. Blackburn get it forward and Morten Gamst Pedersen's fine cross from the left is met by a diving header from Junior Hoilett from eight yards, Jussi Jaaskelainen pulling off a top-drawer reaction save away to his right.

I have said this before and I will say it again, once we have Dunn and Grella playing regularly (I know!) we will play better football as we will have the players who can pass the ball in the middle.

I think some people need to wake up and smell the coffee, WE are lucky to have Sam as our manager- FIVE points adrift last year, 14 months on we are closer to champions league football than relegation, with a youthful team and a brilliant home record. Thus far he gets a B grade from me- potential to be much better.

Archived