BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Might Have Been Sold?

If we take our blue and white tinted glasses off for a second who hand on heart actually thinks investing in BRFC would actually be profitable?

Doh! That's exactly why people are worried about being taken over vs the relative safety of The Trust.

My question is though, if The Trust is/has been looking after Rovers why do we still have such high debt? Even after increased TV money and high value player sales...

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we take our blue and white tinted glasses off for a second who hand on heart actually thinks investing in BRFC would actually be profitable? I really cannot see how it would be, people talk about if we put 10 million extra into the coffers we could expect great things. So Mr Shah (or whoever) puts 10 million in, does that improve our squad to be at the level of people we would be challenging in the league for European place by that I mean the Villas and the Tottenhams? I will tell you, hell no! The shahs etc have no undivided love for this club like Jack did so money will not be thrown about I just feel we are so far away from teams in 5th, 6th and 7th in squad sizes and qualities the investment would have to be huge to be profitable. I reality the clubs that make cash now from purely footballing terms are the yo-yo teams like West Brom and our local friends who take the money and invest little into wages on the Championship return. Nobody at BRFC wants to be a yo-yo club, I just can't see how an ouside investor can make the profits they obviously will be here to make.

Agreed, but in the case of Shah for example the money would be made through cross-promotions in the IPL. For these businessmen it's about the group of companies, not the single entity.

But whilst SA gets us finishing 10th with little investment the Trust are not going to lump any money in are they? I would be interesting to see what the Trust would do if we are bottom of the table at Christmas and looking in real danger of being relegated.

Exactly. The club is only an obligation to the Trust, not a professional venture. If they cared about the club, they'd put their hand in their pocket to take the pressure off the manager and consolidate our league status. But because they simply don't care, they're happy to let the manager keep us afloat on a pittance.

Kamy's info from the Indian camp is very interesting...and actually quite encouraging.

Saurin Shah clearly does not have the money to buy Rovers and take it on. The key is who is behind him. While that is a mystery we are all puzzled and wary. Hopefully Rovers have been told - I suspect they have - or the talks would not be going on.

The Chris Nathaniel factor is interesting. They do seem at pains to be putting some distance between him and them...which tallies with something I heard.

None of this makes a takeover happen, but those two details maybe need to be highlighted.

I think we have to accept there won't be a takeover done in time for instant funds for this window. That will disappoint many who were counting on change and some money. Maybe the Trustees can now release funds and stop using it as an excuse for inactivity.

On a historical note it just hit me this morning that Jack Walker took years to get into a positon where putting big money into the club was [a] possible and something he wanted to do.

So a little patience is needed, although that does not mean that the current situation should be the cause of complacency.

sorry Paul just thought there might be something. I understand any info might be damaging to the deal but thought there might be something more than the current silence. Even to say it is plodding along even at a snails pace. Like others as well am worried about the serious threat of oblivion if it goes on much longer.

p.s. Just so you know I have joined the 21st century with a twitter account sorry it is a bit off topic! thanks Nicko for the reply

Smoss, I thought that BRFC was supposed to be a beneficiary of the Trust.

Can someone with greater knowledge confirm or deny this?

Absolutely right Dave. That kinda makes a mockery of Smoss's post.

Jack didn't put the trustees in their position because they were football people. These people don't want to run a football club, they were put there to provide rovers with cash, [not take it out] from the profits of all his businesses. They have decided that they will no longer invest in the club and because they want no further part in running it, they want out completely.

We still have this idea that we are better off under the trust, even though that isn't possible.

The bottom line is, if the trustees wont put cash in, then there's no reason for them to hang around. Might sound a bit harsh and ungrateful, but it is true. [and yes, I am eternally grateful for what JW did with our club and the way the trust has run the club over the last few seasons. However, they, not us, have decided it's time to move on.]

Why is he Nicko? It is a contraction of his surname, Nixon. Or did you mean to ask "where are you Nicko?".

Glad you read your Shakespeare in high school. Not sure how relevant it is to the takeover thread, but kudos all the same. Doubt it will inspire the conversation to new levels however.

Glad you read your Shakespeare in high school. Not sure how relevant it is to the takeover thread, but kudos all the same. Doubt it will inspire the conversation to new levels however.

He didn't Balwer. He just quoted somebody who had.

Jack didn't put the trustees in their position because they were football people. These people don't want to run a football club, they were put there to provide rovers with cash, [not take it out] from the profits of all his businesses. They have decided that they will no longer invest in the club and because they want no further part in running it, they want out completely.

We still have this idea that we are better off under the trust, even though that isn't possible.

The bottom line is, if the trustees wont put cash in, then there's no reason for them to hang around. Might sound a bit harsh and ungrateful, but it is true. [and yes, I am eternally grateful for what JW did with our club and the way the trust has run the club over the last few seasons. However, they, not us, have decided it's time to move on.]

Den, my thoughts are that Jack wanted:

1. BRFC to continue in the prem. (We all saw Jack's tears on relegation)

2. BRFC be able to stand on it's own.

3. the trust support BRFC so that it may attain point 2.

It looks pretty much like those three points have been achieved. The trust has slowly removed all support, and now BRFC is starting to walk on it's own.

It's these next few seasons that will tell. If we manage to stay where we are, then I feel BRFC will be in a much better financial position than most of their contemporaries.

He didn't Balwer. He just quoted somebody who had.

Yes but he, unlike a lot of people who use the quote, noted that wherefore means why rather than who. The person who originally quoted it I believe was asking where Nicko was, but used wherefore....

Pretty much agree with everything you say Den. As much as it is worrying and we should be wary of a takeover. I genuinely don't understand the view that we should be grateful the trust has the clubs best interets at heart and we will be fine in the long run with them in charge.

Clearly plenty know a lot more than i do but from the little I know it is clear the trust don't want to be involved anymore and also they have no desire to invest anything further. I simply don't get how that is a good situation.

I'm sorry Phillip, but those tangible benefits you speak of help Rovers on the field how?

I understand your stance towrads a takeover and the Trust, certainly I do although i dont always agree, however what most people on here are crying out for new owners for is because of the lack of interest shown in the playing side.

How many members of this board care that we have Jersey based accountants who charge us very little to go over our plans?

How many more of those members would punch the sky if the board would just for once acknowledge the fact that the Rovers desperatly need some assistance in the transfer market to maintain, not improve on just maintain our Premier League position.

The benefits you speak of are far less visable from the stands, and for an average fan who doesnt really worry to much about who does our accounts, that is what matters most.

Just my view on this matter.

If we take our blue and white tinted glasses off for a second who hand on heart actually thinks investing in BRFC would actually be profitable? I really cannot see how it would be, people talk about if we put 10 million extra into the coffers we could expect great things. So Mr Shah (or whoever) puts 10 million in, does that improve our squad to be at the level of people we would be challenging in the league for European place by that I mean the Villas and the Tottenhams? I will tell you, hell no! The shahs etc have no undivided love for this club like Jack did so money will not be thrown about I just feel we are so far away from teams in 5th, 6th and 7th in squad sizes and qualities the investment would have to be huge to be profitable. I reality the clubs that make cash now from purely footballing terms are the yo-yo teams like West Brom and our local friends who take the money and invest little into wages on the Championship return. Nobody at BRFC wants to be a yo-yo club, I just can't see how an ouside investor can make the profits they obviously will be here to make.

So what's your solution? gradual extinction at the hands of the Trust?

That does look like the only other route doesnt it 47er, 10 million might not allow us to compete with 5th and 6th placed teams but it would surely allow us to keep above 10 other teams or so.

It's time for the board to make a decision, back the club or sell us on to someone that can or will at least try to back us.

That does look like the only other route doesnt it 47er, 10 million might not allow us to compete with 5th and 6th placed teams but it would surely allow us to keep above 10 other teams or so.

It's time for the board to make a decision, back the club or sell us on to someone that can or will at least try to back us.

The best solution at the moment is for the trust to give some funds to buy / loan players in this transfer window.

I wouldn't claim to have a solution, I never stated I had a solution I merely pointed out that investing in Blackburn Rovers Football Club would be extremely hard for somebody outside the club to make the profits the individual/s would be wanting to make. My major point is the club is not making profits at the moment so the new investor would be 10 million down instantly in giving the club a transfer kitty, finishing 10th does not give massive profits hence the club is carrying debt. As we like all the other teams in and around us give very high wages to some rather average players I just don't see where the profit can be made.

Now I don't like to stereotype but this debate has two factions:

The Gambling Stupid and The Grateful Wise. I hope this 'takeover' falls through very soon and basically for two reasons:

What are the odds that Rovers will be relgated this season? 7/1?

What are the odds that transfering the club to a modestly rich "investor" will improve Rovers this season? Evens at best.

I bet there is a strong correlation between age and opinion here... how many of you want investment because its something new, interesting, different and mainly becuase you have the attention span of a goldfish...?

One hundred and thirty plus years but lets risk it all on the toss of a coin and why? Becuase we are bored of being 10th most successful club in England?

The best solution at the moment is for the trust to give some funds to buy / loan players in this transfer window.

Now that I would agree with, totally.

Bloody unlikely though....... :lol:

Now I don't like to stereotype but this debate has to factions:

The Gambling Stupid and The Grateful Wise. I hope this 'takeover' falls through very soon and basically for two reasons:

What are the odds that Rovers will be relgated this season? 7/1?

What are the odds that tranfering the club to a modestly rich "investor" will improve Rovers this season? Evens at best.

Do you realise the inherent flaw in your categorisations? The Trust, who started this whole rigmarole by putting the club up for sale and withdrawing financial support, would clearly come under 'The Gambling Stupid' as any sale of the club to anyone would be something of a gamble, as is not spending on the upkeep of the business. So 'The Grateful Wise' are putting their faith in owners who are by definition stupid, which makes them also stupid.

The only real stupidity I can see is the Trust's stated notion that there is someone out there more willing and able to carry out a dead man's wishes than the dead man's trust, which was set up specifically and only to carry out the said dead man's wishes.

Archived