BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

One of the key factors for me was the team performance. I sat in the car on the way home and struggled to pick an mom from a list of nelsen, jones, Salgado, mgp, and diouf mark 1. We had stand out performances from a number of players, most of which have been slated on here at one time or another.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you would be happy to give Chelsea and Man United almost 60% possession and 14 shots? Keep in mind 58% possesion was largely due to us lumping the ball forward and giving it away, it wasn't Everton taking the ball off us.

Please read the post i made, i gave credit, it was a great result and i am happy with it. But there is still room for improvement.

Don't agree there. A fair percentage of Everton's possession was them playing it around, back and forth and sideways without advancing at all. When they got into danger areas we gobbled them up.

Certainly plenty of room for improvement though.

There needs to be some perspective here. It was no question a brilliant result and some real resolute defending at times but if we play like we did today against a better side there is a great chance to come unstuck. First half especially after the goal we just kept launching the ball up field and giving it away time after time. We were lucky today that Everton didn't have the quality or the form to make use of that possession.

You think we could survive against Chelsea or United if they had 58% possession and allowed them 14 shots?

Great result, very good start to the season but let's not carried away here we will need to improve.

Perhaps if we can get some funds in before the window closes, we could move for a deep lying playmaker? If we had someone who can ping a ball over 40 yards with accuracy these punts would be more effective. It would also make Kalinics job a lot easier as well. Some pace on the right with Olssons and he'd have more options with him quickly and with a a better ball it would be easier for him to be in control and harder for the defence.

Not trying to take anything away from yesterday it was a text-book defensive performance, but if Everton had a target of real class up front it may have been different. It most certainly will against the bigger teams.

Yesterday was pleasing but with the soon to be new owner using statements like title challenge, then we all know a bit more guile will be needed. If it could be added in on top of the solid base we seem to have at present then its a good starting point.

Another brutalist Allardyce performance bringing a very welcome win over Everton. I hope that we can add a bit more football to the mix though and rely a little less on Robinson punts, Diouf falling over to win free kicks and Pedersen long throws.

Re Pedersen's throws----anyone else think his throw-ins went farther,flatter and faster than last season?

Great result yesterday with far more positives an negatives. Whilst we are a 'small club' our wage bill is mid table and a good season would be pushing for a Europa place.

For those not there Rovers were never troubled. Evertons 58% possession exposed our weaknesses and those who think we deliberately gave the ball away just to sit back tactically are being overly positive. Evertons had wave after wave of plain nothing and the difference between them and teams they are looking to challenge is their punchless, toothless attack.

Before giving most of the credit to Rovers defence it must be said Saha wouldn't get in our team, Cahill was weak, slow and against a mean defence to lightweight and slow. Without the Yak, and Moyes main this his main point after the match, Everton simply did not have enough up front.

Against Arsenal we cannot play this way though the loss, and dependency, of Dunn after 9 minutes cannot me underestimated.

This performance was better than most last season, perhaps defensively the best under Allardyce. The clean sheet was predictable just looking at how Allardyce had presented the team. Organised, fit, 4 centre halves, two full backs plus Dunn, replaced by the defensive NZonzi, Peds, Kalinic and Diouf.

Selgado had a better than usual game but a couple of time he got taken to the cleaners by of all players Leighton Baines. Most premiership managers will be targeting him as a weak link and Sam needs to redress this. Diouf supplied a couple of fantastic crosses but too often his first option was to run down a blind alley waiting for the slightest nudge or trip to rack up his free kick count. His passing and movement were lacking and he was without doubt our weakest player.

Ollson put more work in but was equally ineffective in possession and with Dunns withdrawal almost contributed to our lack of ball retention and lack of forward power.

None the less the team as unit were excellent. Jones a revelation. Samba and Nelson comfortable, commanding the game like Champions League defenders. Easy.

Unlike Grella who just sits back and is tactically a liability, Jones reminiscent of Hendry read he tackles to won and commanding his domain and frustrating Everton who had no time to dwell or create. His contribution was pressing and his performance stopped us just sitting back, he took the fight to Everton, pressing the team up the field and charging out with the ball himself. He battered Everton in the middle of the park and showed what a poor player Grella is.

Nzozi was below par but Peds was close to MOM. His work rate for me is without peer and if he can pick the right pass instead of a misplaced one he is a great player. And he was given the lack of creativity on show.

Kalinic was excellent and his goalscoring record is good so high hopes this season. Sam though was thrown a headache with the few moments given to Diouf, he who doesn't spit, who showed glimpses of class. Pace, power, work rate, touch, leaving many fans exiting the ground drooling at the prospect of the two playing alongside each other.

I am not a Sam fan but he must be congratulated for the organisation, discipline, belief, desire and fitness as none of these can be faulted.

He now has to put considerable effort into ball retention and creativity. For me Jacobson and Emerton down the right would be a better combination and two up front may be an option if Dunns absence remains. On a personal note I would bring in Jarvis from Wolves to replace Ollson.

Some of you guys should have a look on Everton fora (ums).

If they are to believed, then it was Everton that were playing the long ball and not the rovers. They are very disheartened at their performance.

At the end of the day, the rovers won, it was the first game of the season, and lets take it and improve from here.

Some of you guys should have a look on Everton fora (ums).

If they are to believed, then it was Everton that were playing the long ball and not the rovers. They are very disheartened at their performance.

At the end of the day, the rovers won, it was the first game of the season, and lets take it and improve from here.

Should someone tell them that they were playing in PINK this season and not blue and white. :lol:

I was also very impressed with the result yesterday - Great win, Good anticipation from Niko for the goal - This could be a big season for young kalanic :)

Thought Pedersons range of passing was superb and phil Jones did a great job on Arteta/Cahill - credit where it is due Sam...

Givet also looked solid at the back and overall great performance :) Lets hope we can go to Birmingham saturday and get at least a point - we dont have the best current record against them and they showed good spirit yesterday but if we can stay tight at the beack again you never no - Just hope Dunn is back soon can see a 1-1 draw myself...

COYB

I am not a Sam fan but he must be congratulated for the organisation, discipline, belief, desire and fitness as none of these can be faulted.

He now has to put considerable effort into ball retention and creativity. For me Jacobson and Emerton down the right would be a better combination and two up front may be an option if Dunns absence remains. On a personal note I would bring in Jarvis from Wolves to replace Ollson.

Why would we want to replace Ollson?

There needs to be some perspective here. It was no question a brilliant result and some real resolute defending at times but if we play like we did today against a better side there is a great chance to come unstuck. First half especially after the goal we just kept launching the ball up field and giving it away time after time. We were lucky today that Everton didn't have the quality or the form to make use of that possession.

You think we could survive against Chelsea or United if they had 58% possession and allowed them 14 shots?

Great result, very good start to the season but let's not carried away here we will need to improve.

Thought the performance was almost identical to Man U and Arsenal at home back end of last season.

Only improvement for me is up front, though the two young lads gave it their all, in those last ten minutes Mame Diouf could worked a little bit harder defensively just to relieve some of the pressure on the team.

Just love the midfield lads taking the ball off the Everton players winning the ball then running at the opposition second half that for me is exciting stuff.

The next two games for me will really shape our season along with a quality addition before transfer deadline day (Louis Suarez of Ajax is my ideal man, but hey wishful thinking here but he would be the perfect fit to play in the current Rovers team)

But there aren't that many better sides in the league than Everton.

Once we're looking at the likes of Chelsea/United then surely any points we get are a bonus?

We don't need to improve, yes there's definitely room for improvement and it wasn't a perfect performance by a long stretch. But fact is we're not aiming for top 4, we're aiming for 10th and in that context a draw at home to Everton would be about par for the course.

I seem to recall playing considerably worse than this a lot of times last season and yet still being unbeaten vs the big teams at home. Sam would have a different plan for different teams anyway, but if we're beating the likes of Everton and below at home and only losing/drawing to better teams then we'll have another very good season. But given previous form I'd back us to raise our game and nick points vs the bigger teams at home.

Great result yesterday with far more positives an negatives. Whilst we are a 'small club' our wage bill is mid table and a good season would be pushing for a Europa place.

That's not a fair assessment.

Our wage bill may be mid table but our transfer fund is relegation material.

Europa League is up to 7th and considering the teams in front of us are the Sky 4, City, Everton, Villa and Spurs - all teams with far higher wage bills AND transfer funds than us - to finish ahead of two of those sides would be a brilliant achievement. To finish 10th was undoubtedly a good season.

At the game .... the only positive is we're winning. Playing hoofball at every opportunity and it's putting US under pressure cos Everton win it easily and are coming straight back at us. If it continues like this it's just a matter of time before Everyone score.

Is it beyond the realms if possibility for us to try passing it?? Just a little even?!??

BTW Howard. Lol. :)

I know what you are trying to say and we do give possession away cheaply but Robinson hadn't had a proper save to make when you wrote that and his first save of note was in the last minute of extra time. Arteta, Pienaar and Cahill comprise a very inventive and attacking midfield of quality with the constant menace of Saha up top so it seems their struggles show that we are gradually becoming a very difficult team to play against.

Not pretty granted, but pretty effective. What more can we ask from our cash strapped management?

There wasn't much between the two teams on the day, only separated by a gift from Howard, albeit with some fine improvisation by Kalinic. Rovers should certainly take heart from a strong, disciplined performance that will hopefully set the precedent for the season ahead. If we can continue our impressive home form and pick up a few more points on the road, we should have a fine campaign. However, we do still need more options going forward, because much of yesterday's game was back to the same old story. Possession is lost too cheaply when we hoof it forward at every attempt. Sometimes it's calling out for someone to just put their foot on the ball, but our instinct is always to launch it downfield. I won't go on about this, because it's been said ad infinitum, and isn't likely to change in the foreseeable future. Kalinic, again, was lively but also a square peg in a round hole. He isn't an argy-bargy striker who's gonna hold the ball up for others for 90minutes, he looks far more effective when he has the chance to link up with players and get into space. As it was said on Soccer Saturday, either he finds a strike partner or the attacking players provide better support, otherwise he's in for a thankless season.

Pleased with the debut of Diouf too. He looks like he has all the attributes to be a success at Rovers.

Really? Well he showed a turn of pace once or twice but he did not seem robust or willing enough to play a lone back to goal striker. In fact almost the exact opposite type to Di Santo.

Was that the people's club, or the Village People's club ?

:lol:

Sponsored by 'Gay Pride' possibly?

I must say looking at the massed ranks of blue shirted Everton fans it doesn't look like the new away strips are proving anything other than a marketing disaster. I can't recall seeing one.

Really? Well he showed a turn of pace once or twice but he did not seem robust or willing enough to play a lone back to goal striker. In fact almost the exact opposite type to Di Santo.

What, a goal scorer?? Diouf was more of a danger in the lats 20 minutes yesterday then Di Santo was in the majority of his full starts.

When he had his shot saved i think he was offside so i can understand why they didnt include it, the length of our match was pathetic i agree Hughesy

I get heartily sick of the same old boring post match analysis of the 1st few games on MoTD 1 and MoTD 2. Picking out stupid examples of some players doing simple things accompanied by stilted conversation is boring and dull and results in the last few matches being cut to the bare minimum.

Yes! And if you don't mind me saying so it's a pretty stupid comment given that last season we were unbeaten at home against the (then) top 4.

I've heard a few people now say that today's game was boring and that we didn't play well. I really don't know what these people want or expect to see. Everton clearly have better players than us. Moyes has built a fantastic squad over the years, spending more money than people think mind, and I'm sure they'll be challenging for the top 4 come May next year. Yet we contained them superbly today and restricted them to maybe one half chance at best.

Playing a flexible 4-1-4-1 formation with Jones as the holding midfielder proved a masterstroke. Everton had lots of possession, were allowed the ball up to the final third of the field, but were snuffed out every time they tried to thread a pass through the middle of our defence. They never got behind our defence the whole game. In addition, our centre-halves headed every cross away and our midfield blocked almost every shot. Robinson saved the only one that got through.

At the other end we could have scored after 3 minutes when Olsson was put through by Pedersen, we did score a few minutes later after a sharp Kalinic finish from Howard's howler, and should have wrapped the game up late in the second half when N'Zonzi missed a free header that seemed easier to score. If we'd have won 3-0 Everton couldn't have complained. And we did all this without our main attacking threat, Dunn, for most of the match.

Robinson only had one save to make and he made it well. His handling and distribution were excellent throughout. I've not rated him much since he signed, but I'm starting to get converted.

Our defence were superb throughout. Samba and Nelsen headed everything clear, Salgado and Givet stopped most of the crosses, and both Jones and N'Zonzi protected them well. Special mention for Jones who looks like he could be a superstar. He's still a bit raw, his distribution still needs work, but he's already an excellent defender and today he showed that he's also got good technique and ability when required.

I thought our more creative midfielders played really well today. Diouf mk1 regularly carried the ball from defence to attack, won free-kicks and throws when we needed to relieve pressure, and provided a couple of excellent crosses (particularly the one for N'Zonzi late in the game). Olsson's pace was a threat in the first kalf when he looked like he could get behind Everton's defence at will. In the second half he played deeper and concentrated more on defending, a job he did equally as well. And Pedersen was excellent, showing a good range of passing and providing a threat at set-pieces.

Up front Kalinic took his goal well, but then he started to frustrate me a little as the game wore on. Yes he was isolated (Dunn going off early didn't help), yes he had to feed off scraps most of the time, but when he had the opportunity to hold the ball and bring the midfield into play he more often than not tried to turn and run at the defence instead. Consequently we kept losing the ball. Diouf mk2 was much better at this, using his pace against a tiring defence to good effect by running the channels and keeping possession. A promising debut.

It's obviously very early days, one result doesn't really mean anything at this stage of the season, but there were genuine signs today that we could have another decent season. We looked very solid, we looked confident, and we carried a goal threat against a very good team. Let's see what we can do away from Ewood now.

Good debut but Jones needs more awareness and composure on the ball in that position. Those centre half 'get rid' instincts won't be covered over so easily. Maybe a few hours spent watching videos of the excellent Ivan Campo playing for Bolton might help.

He's young enough for Sam to attempt to turn him into a deep sitting centre mid of quality. England expects too.

One complaint... N'Zonzi seemed a little squeezed and restricted in his normal movement because of Jones. They'll have to work that one out themselves.

Not trying to take anything away from yesterday it was a text-book defensive performance, but if Everton had a target of real class up front it may have been different.

Louis Saha doesn't have class? :o Maj are you sure that you work in football? :rolleyes:

Lots of press reports suggesting that Kalinic enjoyed a lot of good fortune yesterday when Howerd dropped the ball at his feet. Appears that none of those reporters remembered the rank bad luck that he endured most of last season with almost weekly strikes against the woodwork and a good goal disallowed at OT.

What goes around comes around.

Archived