BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

A nice surprise to start the season! It was a real pleasure to be in the Darwen End today, that atmosphere was absolutely fantastic, real credit goes to everyone there today.

I was a little surprised to see Peds voted MOM, Jones would've been a better shout for me (with Big Chris running him close).

Interesting just as I went into the ground I bumped into an old chap, turned to apologise and saw none other than Sir Alex Ferguson- hopefully he was only checking on Mame Diouf (who looked to offer a lot more than Di Santo already) and not spying out Phil Jones.

Anyone else spot Fergie?

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice surprise to start the season! It was a real pleasure to be in the Darwen End today, that atmosphere was absolutely fantastic, real credit goes to everyone there today.

I was a little surprised to see Peds voted MOM, Jones would've been a better shout for me (with Big Chris running him close).

Interesting just as I went into the ground I bumped into an old chap, turned to apologise and saw none other than Sir Alex Ferguson- hopefully he was only checking on Mame Diouf (who looked to offer a lot more than Di Santo already) and not spying out Phil Jones.

Anyone else spot Fergie?

Fergie and Roy Hodgson were there apparently

Well fellow Rovers fans, heres my take on an andrews free day !

Fans have to realise that this is not an ordinary Everton side. This is an Everton side, filled with hardworking creative players, players who can tackle, defend,create and score goals. A team that has Arteta at the hub, Pienaar at the wheel and a player like Cahill who can score out of nothing. Moyes's Everton side are a team that can play good football and are a team to be feared, a bit like our own team, however, Rovers havent got a player like Artetea, or Pienaar or indeed Cahill.

Heading to the game I feared the worst, had a chat with some Everton fans and had a pint in the newly revamped Brown Cow. The pub has become the place to drink pre match instead of some mank muppet wearing the shirt of the red scum of manchester serving pints. I didnt see much for Rovers as the teams were announced. I got the now traditional Balti pie and in not trying to steal Ozzie's thunder, they are better than the last pies on offer.

looking at the team SA sent out I wondered at what formation we were set up for.

3-1-4-1-1, or was it 4-1-3-1-1, or was it 5-3-1-1 ?

Whatever it was it bloody well worked. It took me until nearly half time to realise Arteta was playing. The effect of having Jones in front of the back 4 played a treat. The effect of having MGP in a free role worked, olsson worked a treat and he supported NIKO, as did Dioufy. In fact the team set up really worked, which, having seen the abortions in preseason pleasantly surprised me.

I was preturbed at Dunny's needless tackle that got him injured, he doesnt look fit and he needs to get his injury sorted.

those fans who have mocked NIKO, watch his goal. It was a classic, it wont win the goal of the month, however, he had a nano second to react, react he did and he dispatched it home to score our first goal of this new season. Instinctive finishing is whag we need and what we got. Its the mark of a good striker and he reallyh did well considering a lack of match practice and preseason build up.

Midfield slighbtly worries me. We do need a central ball player to trouble Dunny. Reo Cokeer is the man for me.

Clearly, Roberts will not feature, bye bye and so long. Close the gate as you leave.

Mention for the boy Jones. He really has some class about him and he is learning fast. he might need reigning in sometime but for me he has everything going for him. Very impressed with the defensive display although the tendency to hang back at the end nearly cost us.

Not impressed the Jack Walker tribute didnt appear at Half time.

Good turn out, great day and 3 points in the bag.

Hope it isnt you who has your car stolen this evening !!!!!

Nice to get 3 points on the board.

Just got back home so can someone tell me how we played??? Have we improved on last year???

No improvement from last year - which is understandable as it's the same squad.

We're desperate for a ball playing midfielder. We're toothless without one, the ball just keeps coming back.

My theory is that we are happy for teams like Everton to have the ball, just not in out penalty box.

If we try to play the ball forward we just lose it and that's when we concede goals.

I said on here earlier that the worse the quality of the game the better chance we would have and that proved correct. It's not pretty at all but it's getting us points at present.

We set out for 0-0 and we accidentally won.

EFC Kit - One of the worst ever

Phil Dowd - A terrible man.

David Moyes - Coming to the end at Everton. A sideways move seems most likely for him.

Jack Walker - Made this club what we are and will never be forgotten.

Robinson - Mostly assured and a good save at the end. 7/10

Salgado - Kept Pienaar quiet and never troubled by the terrible Baines. 7/10

Givet - Solid defensive display - 7/10

Nelsen - Coped very well with all the high balls and could have had a volleyed goal 7.5/10

Samba - Usual self at the back with only had a rare venture up-field today 7/10

Dunn - Got further than Grella did. -/10

Jones - Excellent display in an unfamiliar role, looked surprisingly dangerous running forward with the ball. 7.5/10

Pedersen - Throws failed again as did the free-kicks - we need better quality on our ball in. Otherwise one of his better games. 7/10

Diouf - Started slowly and ground to a halt after half-time. Was expecting Emerton or Hoilett to replace him but Sam clearly loves him. 5.5/10

Olsson - Should have scored early - bit disappointing today but ran around and was whole-hearted. 6.5/10

Kalinic - Ploughed the lone furrow and was quick to jump on Howards error. Plenty would have missed that. 7/10

N'Zonzi - Not sure why he didn't start, Tired a little which is maybe why. Played his usual game and could have scored in the 2nd half. 7.5/10

M Diouf - Looked a handful but got absolutely no support. 7/10

No outstanding performers but a solid team effort today.

Guest roverspogges

Didn't go to the game so I can't evaluate the performance but I'm absolutely over the moon with the result, great start to the season lads and well done niko COYB!!!!

Here's an Evertonian perspective:

Old story, lump the ball into the box/"final third" and let us fight for it. We spend the whole of the preseason (and much of the end of last season) playing nice little Barca moves and then at the start of this season want to take on one of the strongest and "hardest" teams in the league through route one (hello the two Phils). Unfortunately, Baines, Arteta, Pienaar, Billy and Osman are mighty midgets and Fellaini and Heitinga were short of match practice.

i did forget tomention a couple of things.

Phil Dowd is homophobic he kept whistling at the pink shirts.

Allardyce set his team up to counteract Everton and to a man they did their job.

Those advocating it wasnt pretty, I think your being harsh. The football was far better at times. How effective was Evertons tippy tappy sideways football ? Truth is it wasnt effective as until the 88th minute Robbo was unemployed. The Rovers passing at time was crisp and effective. The effort was on show from the players, there was a will to win and a work ethic. You dont just play pretty football first of all you do what you have to do to win the game. Rovers nullified Everton, and took their chance when it came along, when we were on the back foot the team defended and defended well. Thats all we can ask for. We were NOT playing muppets we were polaying a very effective and well drilled football team, its just we were far more effective at our job than they were at theirs.

So please give a bit of credit where its due.

That shirt ranks alongisde the canary yellow of Newcastle, its truly girly awful.

No need for the correction, what I typed was certainly sang where I was.

Me too. Is the kit something to do with the Rhys Jones charity? It was the same colours as last season - obviously the pink was a tad more prominent this time round. ;)

I thought E.H. Diouf played well, held the ball up, got stuck in, got a few really decent crosses in, put in a beauty for N'Zonzi's header which he should have scored or at least hit the target.

Brilliant start and so many positives to take away. Kalinic gets a goal early in the season, Mame Diouf looks like a good player, Jones excelled in an unfamiliar role, defended like warriors and in the second half created ourselves a few chances. Pedersen also battled well in midfield, I cant really say anybody played bad it was a solid team effort today.

Hats off the the manager as well, his tactics were spot on today and managed to snuff out their better ball players like Arteta.

Long may it continue!

Well a very easy win....we were very comfortable the whole game - we allowed Everton the ball around the 30 yard and further out area, but not in and around our box. VERY disciplined defending, and extremeley well drilled.

Following Niko's quality instinctive finish, I expected a reaction form the Pink panzies, but it never happened.

MOM - Gamst - probably fair, he did afterall put Olssen through, Mame through and also supplied some very good throw-ins etc. He also for once threw himself into a couple of challenges.

Jones was a very close 2nd...although he showed his lack of experience when he should have done better when the ball fell to him at the edge of the box.

Samba, Nelsen both very good - as where Salgado & Givet who were very rarely threatened out wide.

1 save for Robbo which he did with ease.

• NZonzi - looked abit off the pace, but did enough.
  • Olsson - Lots of running, lots of the ball and very nearly scored early on when he lobbed Howard.
  • Diouf - supplied a couple of very good crosses and held the ball well.
  • Niko - Battled well with Distin and held the ball well, also a very well taken goal
  • Mame - Very energetic, happy to run at players with the ball and played an excellent 1-2 with Gamst to get his best chance.
  • Dunn - Stupid tackle to pull up on...shouldnt have done it....probably could have played on but slightest twinge and he goes off

TACTICS - Spot on

Overall - we look very well drilled, very disciplined and also our young players continue to improve and progress. Great 3 points to start with and very well deserved.

Great 3 points (3 more than we got against Everton last season) and that is a really good interview given by Sam.

PS I now know Mame is pronounced Mammy but then Sam calls the other Diouf "alledge" so that might not be the most reliable guide!

Guest Kamy100

Superb Three Points.

I thought that we contained Everton very well and had the better chances. Morten was superb and deserved the man of the match award. Niko took his goal well and young Diouf looks like he could do well for us. Heck even Old Diouf looked the business today, work rate was better and put in a couple of excellent crosses. Special mention for Phil Jones, another all action display this time playing in front of the defence, he really does look the business, provide great cover and even got forward, his final ball could have been better but hopefully come with time.

Great start to the season, now hopefully we can improve our away form starting the "big club" next week.

Well done Rovers. Good win. Big Sam got his tactis spot on today. Eeverton didnt created one clear cut chance and thats because we defence has a unit and Samba and Nelsen were excellent. Pedersen work his socks off and i agree with him getting MOTM! Great Start to the season and thats carry this on!

:D:D:D

Archived