BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

Hello everyone. The first preview of the season and we welcome Paul who is, surprise surprise, an Everton supporter

and works in the same god-forsaken organisation as me.

Paul,

August is here again and the seasons starts. For many it's a time of high expectations (& for many of those many also

blind optimism) do you get "the buzz" at the beginning?

Yes Colin, without doubt, my life is designed around the fixture list. Imagine having to decide how to spend your

weekends, unless the FA (aka Sky) did it for you? Having said that, I do enjoy the summer break while it lasts;

stress-free Saturdays are a bit of a treat.

Our local "rivals," as you probably know, are Burnley. There's a de-militarised zone & boundary running down the High

Street in Accrington. How does it work in Merseyside with the two clubs being relately close together.

It can't be more that 4 miles to Prenton Park. Is it a family thing or is there more to it how did you become an

Everton supporter rather than a supporter of the ("Dark) red side?"

Well, of course, most Liverpool supporters live in the suburbs of Oslo, so the exact location of Anfield

is a mystery to them. I would say that family influence is a factor, but the clearest distinction between

the clubs is that Liverpool fans tend to be delusional, shallow, glory-hunting loud mouths, whereas Everton

supporters are intelligent, reasonable and handsome.

When I phoned you a last week to have a chat to see if you wanted to have a go at this, you mentioned Howard Kendall

and his gob-smackingrecord at Rovers in his first season as player-manager in 1979-1980. after winning 14 and

drawing one between 12th January 1980 & 7th April 1980. That got us up to the old second Division, (runners up

behind Grimsby!) and the next season we missed out on another promotion by goal difference. (Swansea on +20,

Rovers on +13) He left us after that season to go to back to Everton so, to paraphrase "The Life Of Brian," "what did

Howard Kendall ever do for you?"

Funnily enough, Howard Kendall was my first player idol and my mum sewed a no.4 on the back of a plain blue jersey

for me in his honour. I was 42 at the time. I remember that great run he had in charge of Blackburn quite well,

as Kendall was being linked to us for a quite a while. In the mid-1980s he became Evertons most successful

ever manager, so hell always be a hero.

Players going between our clubs. Some blokes called George Sharples (way back in 1965) Mark Hughes, Bobby Mimms,

Mike Newall all spring to mind having moved from Goodison to Ewood and did OK. Can you think of any that went

the other way? All I can remember is Fred Pickering.

Youre right, there dont seem to have been many moving from Blackburn to Everton, for some reason. I think the

goalkeeper Jim Arnold might have been one in the early 80s, and he kept Southall out of the side for a while,

so must have been pretty useful.

Now for four big "open" questions:

How have Everton progressed or regressed over the summer, signings & sellings

Its been a strange summer because, possibly for the first time I can ever remember, Id be delighted for us to

just keep the current squad intact, rather than splash the cash. Weve been particularly unlucky with long

term injuries over the last 2 years (Jagielka, Arteta, Yakubu and Fellaini have all been missing for 6 months

or more), but they all seem to be available again now, so Im not sure we need anyone else. With a few

summer bargains thrown in (Beckford on a free and the new French lad Gueye have looked very good in pre-season),

most Evertonians are worryingly confident about our chances this season.

Who do you think Rovers will get on this season?

I think Big Sams teams are always well drilled and hard to beat, but Im not sure therell be enough goals

in this Blackburn side to trouble the top half of the table. In fact, I can officially announce that you will

finish 12th. If that isnt a guarantee you will now stuff us 4-0 at Ewood, I dont know what is.

Who are your key players that we should watch out for?

Moyes seems to have more players than usual to choose from at the moment, so its a bit of a guess who

hell play. Generally though, I would say Jagielka is our key defender, Arteta pulls the strings and Saha

is the main goal threat. They probably wont play on the 14th, but most Evertonians are hopeful that Coleman

and Gueye will also make a mark this season.

Who do you think are Rovers' key players (given that Sam hasn't bought anyone, so you're on last seasons squad here.)

I think Robinson is very good, and youve got some talented young defenders. Personally, Ive always really liked

Pedersen, but Im not sure whether hes gone past his best now (cue a hatrick in that 4-0 win).

Finally: The new Everton away kit

here

It'll get its first airing at Ewood Park. Can you see any possible drawbacks to it? I'm thinking of Lady Penelope's

car; Barbie; John Inman and a sniggering Alan Shearer on MOTD.

Daring, isnt? I cant make up my mind about it really. Im usually a traditionalist when it comes to the kit,

but I suppose its good to experiment now and then. You may recall that, when he first joined Everton, Moyes

branded us The Peoples Club, but apparently there is no truth in the rumour that this has been updated to the

Village Peoples Club.

OK Paul I think that's about it. Many thanks for taking part. In conclusion I can only hope you have a thoroughly

wretched day on 14th if only for taking six points of us last season. Cheers.

Thanks Colin, youve been a wonderful audience. Do I get paid for this, by the way?

Your weight in paper clips

Colin

As postscript for trivia fans:

For a number of years the once fastest ever premier league goal was scored on April 1st 1995 - Chris Sutton in 13

seconds, at Goodison. I was there to see it. Lucky me. We spent most of the following 89 minutes & 47 seconds

defending like the British army at Rourke's Drift. 0-1.

The record stood stood until 2000 when Ledley King topped it by 3 seconds at Bradford.

Everton has played more games in the top flight of the football league than any other team and has won the league

nine times.

Like us, Everton is a founder member of the football league.

Those of you have had a look at that away shirt & wondered "what on earth could that tower thing be on the club badge

be?" then rest easy and sleep well. Uncle Colin has the answer right here:

Tower thing

All the rest you need to know is here:

wikipedia

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everton

supporters are intelligent, reasonable and handsome.

Mmmmmm...previous encounters do not conform with above.

Everton have an annoyingly good record against us at Ewood over recent years but are never good starters to a season:

1-1

Att 25,600

THANK GOD THE FOOTBALLS BACK! :rover:

Mmmmmm...previous encounters do not conform with above

SG 194,

Just happen you've misinterpreted the general ambiance of the review. Possibly?

Players going between our clubs. Some blokes called George Sharples (way back in 1965) Mark Hughes, Bobby Mimms,

Mike Newall all spring to mind having moved from Goodison to Ewood and did OK. Can you think of any that went

the other way? All I can remember is Fred Pickering.

Youre right, there dont seem to have been many moving from Blackburn to Everton, for some reason. I

How can you forget the late, great Sir Keith Newton, moved from Rovers to Everton circa 1968 and one of the finest full backs to play the game ? John Bailey was another.

We bought George Sharples from Everton for £10,000 in the mid-1960s, alot of money at that time. Good player but very slow.

How does it work in Merseyside with the two clubs being relately close together.

It can't be more that 4 miles to Prenton Park. Is it a family thing or is there more to it how did you become an

Everton supporter rather than a supporter of the ("Dark) red side?"

What have Tranmere got to do with it ?

Great preview by the way, always found Evertonians more approachable than their red cousins.

Rovers do not have any fluidity about them, yesterdays game was evidence of that.

The midfield hasnt played one single game as a unit so who knows exactly who will be part of it.

I share the view by Philip, Rovers will struggle in this game and the points will be stolen again by the blue half of Merseyside.

it is absolutely shocking that Rovers dont seem to have a team ethic even if they are clearly very fit. If anyone wants to make comment on Keith Andrews before we start, I will begin, he was very poor against a Hearts team. If he cant hack the hackerrs of scotland what chance has he got in the top league ?

0-2

• Backroom

I know it's not a true indication, but I've not been inspired by our pre-season at all... can see us getting turned over by the toffee's yet again :(

Rovers 1 - 2 Everton

Roy Vernon,John Bailey also went to Everton in their prime. In fact Everton have fed off us from time to time.Especially Fred and keith.

2-1 Rovers.

And didn't Howard Kendall move from us to Everton twice? as a player and as a manager?

Anyway, hopefully a great game to look forward to - its been to long since May.

1-1

Edit - Nope I got that wrong, was player manager at both. Seem to remember someone mention he played for Everton after us but didn't return.

Watched the match today, given the players on show not any great indicator as to form but kalinic looks incredibly lightweight. Has to be mame upfront with anyone but kalinic for me for the everton game.

Heart says 0-0

gambling side of me thinks everton and that nasty $@&@ cahill to score.

My prediction, for what it's worth:

Blackburn 1 (Mame Diouf)

Everton 1 (Louis Saha)

Spookily, that was exactly what I was about to post for my prediction! Saha always seems to score against us, and unless we sign another striker before Saturday (which seems increasingly unlikely) Mame Diouf seems to be the only player in our squad likely to score. A draw against Everton wouldnt be a bad start, they'll be challenging for a European place again at the end of the season I'm sure.

Spookily, that was exactly what I was about to post for my prediction! Saha always seems to score against us, and unless we sign another striker before Saturday (which seems increasingly unlikely) Mame Diouf seems to be the only player in our squad likely to score. A draw against Everton wouldnt be a bad start, they'll be challenging for a European place again at the end of the season I'm sure.

Pretty much the exact same thought process as myself too. We can revel in each other's genius when it happens! ;)

Now I'm even more confused :)

It was a joke about the other club on Merseyside and instead of Liverpool I did Tranmere and Paul got the joke, and then I mentioned Southport, which is another football club on Merseyside.

Do try and keep up old chap, you're making us old-timers look like a bunch of blithering idiots.

Cheers, & with good humour intended.

Colin

It was a joke about the other club on Merseyside and instead of Liverpool I did Tranmere and Paul got the joke, and then I mentioned Southport, which is another football club on Merseyside.

Do try and keep up old chap, you're making us old-timers look like a bunch of blithering idiots.

Cheers, & with good humour intended.

Colin

Don't care where they are officially meant to be, but Southport will always be part of Lancashire.

Good preview and can't wait for Saturday now.

Hate to seem picky but:-

For a number of years the once fastest ever premier league goal was scored on April 1st 1995 - Chris Sutton in 13

seconds, at Goodison. I was there to see it. Lucky me. We spent most of the following 89 minutes & 47 seconds

defending like the British army at Rourke's Drift. 0-1.

Did this not finish 2-1?

Shearer scored a second after about 8 minutes to put us 2 up and then we parked the bus.

Archived