BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal Preview

Eddie

Our first test against one of the title challengers comes on Saturday as Arsenal travel to Ewood Park. Over the past few years our games against Arsenal can often be used as a quick litmus test for the state of our club and perhaps even theirs as well. At the moment it would seem that the two clubs are the complete polar opposites of each other. Wenger's Arsenal often appear to put style before substance and their devotion to the free-flowing game often comes at the expense of their league performance. Allardyce has always favoured a more practical approach. He's a football-by-numbers man and chooses strategy based on percentages and chance of success, rather than what will be most pleasing to the eye.

Previous Arsenal Results:

2009-2010: Blackburn 2-1 Arsenal

They played good football, we crowded the keeper and scored from set-pieces. That may be the simplified analysis of the game, but this result probably stands as the purest Allardyce result we have seen since he has taken charge. Our only victory under Sam against one of the top 4, it wasn't pretty, but it was enjoyable. Almunia flapped. Wenger did his bit and complained about the officials. We took the 3 points.

2008-2009: Arsenal 4-0 Blackburn; Blackburn 0-4 Arsenal

We've taken a few beatings at the hands of Arsenal, but an 8-0 aggregate defeat over the course of a shambolic season was about as bad as it has been. Sometimes we've competed and been hammered, but in these two games we may as well have sent the under 13's...in retrospect...maybe we did?

2007-2008: Leage Cup Blackburn 2-3 Arsenal (AET)

Arsenal sent the kids, they had a player sent off and we still lost. It was the season of cup debacles (accompanied by going out in the UEFA cup against Larissa and being thrashed 4-1 by Coventry in the FA Cup) and it was around the time when Hughes appeared to lose the plot (we only won 8 of our remaining 23 games and managed to throw away the chance of qualifying for the UEFA Cup through the league on the final day against Birmingham).

2006-2007: Arsenal 6-2 Blackburn

We tried to play football, we actually could have got a result and yet somehow in the last few minutes they knocked in a few and won 6-2.

FA Cup Blackburn 1-0 Arsenal (AET)

One of the highlights of recent seasons as Benni McCarthy came off the bench to score a screamer to put us through to the semi-final. We would eventually lose that 2-1 (AET) against Chelsea (oh if Pedersen could have that header again...), but it was a wonderful moment and for that Benni, I at least, thank you.

2005-2006: Blackburn 1-0 Arsenal

Probably one of our finest moments since our return to the Premier League. We were playing fantastic football at the time and Bellamy was in full flow and after that match I think I, as well as quite a few others, honestly believed that we had a chance of getting into the Champions League spots. The Spurs result the next weekend (when we outplayed them but lost 3-2) would really put an end to that dream, but it was a wonderful season and the high point in the Hughes era.

2004-2005: FA Cup Blackburn 0-3 Arsenal

Robin Van Persie...meet Andy Todd.

This was the match in which we really earned the bully-boys tag, a moniker that we still haven't completely shaken.

2002-2003: Arsenal 1-2 Blackburn; Blackburn 2-0 Arsenal

Perhaps our best season for the footballing purest, so it was fitting that we did the double over Arsenal. Tugay pulled the strings and Friedel was superman.

2001-2002: Arsenal 3-3 Blackburn

An important result and a battling performance and it was one of those moments when you could really see that some of our younger players, most notably Dunn, were going to be able to handle the Premier League.

League Cup Blackburn 4-0 Arsenal (AET)

The Jansen hat-trick, knocking out one of the big guns (Im pretty sure they were playing a full-strength side...) and the road to eventual cup glory.

Some Video Moments:

Horrible tackle on Pedersen

Andy Todd's career highlight....sorry Dugarry

Sam the Gooner.

I've previewed this match a few times over the years and I always include an interview with the only Arsenal fan that I can really tolerate, my old housemate Sam.

Q: After another trophyless season, how much longer can you give Wenger if the drought continues?

A: I always say if not this season then the next. I will probably say that next season but at some point it will wear thin, so probably end of next season for me if we are trophyless.

Q: Is the style more important that winning?

Winning, but at least the style is enjoyable and distracting (I often think "ooo that's pretty" as I watch a trophy run off to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge)

Q: If you had the choice between good football under Wenger and another trophyless season or a more direct approach under someone like Allardyce and maybe winning something like the FA Cup...which would you choose?

A: Wenger

Q: Are there any players who you think will be particularly important for you this season? Some younger players that you particularly have an eye on?

A: Wilshere and Walcott. Not only will their development be important for the club, but as an Englishman I think it's pretty important that they both develop into good players for the national side.

Q: How many broken legs will Arsenal suffer this season?

A: ??? Hopefully none...

Q: Do you agree with Wenger and think that no player should be allowed within 10 yards of an Arsenal player? Should we just outlaw all forms of tackling?

A: It might help us win, but I do honestly believe that we have some players more suited to the rougher side of Premier League football (ie Sagna, Diaby, Chamakh...who looks like a tough player)

Q: By that do you mean players who just aren't as talented as the others that you have signed before?

No and I honestly believe that we are going to have a really good season. I think this could be our year.

A: To win something? Or to win the league?

A: Something significant: the league, the FA cup or the Champions League.

Note: At this point I had to take several minutes to recover from sever stomach pains caused by excessive laughter.

Q: With the likes of Jones, N'Zonzi and Olsson breaking through at Ewood Park are you worried that Blackburn Rovers might take Arsenal's label as the young and talented club?

A: They are all good players and I believe that they are all players that we have been linked to once or twice, which is just another sign of our intent to continue buying younger players.

Q: Predictions for the match?

3-1 Arsneal. Chamakh to score.

Q: Odds that Almunia actually catches something if Samba stands near to him?

Q: Odds that Wenger complains about the officials after the match?

About the same as they are for Ferugson.

Q: Predictions for your season?

1st, I really believe it.

Q: Predictions for Blackburn's season?

You've started well and were unlucky against Birmingham, so I think you'll be safe. Mid-table probably, maybe a chance at Europe if Everton and Aston Villa struggle as much as it looks like they might

Q: Are you taking into account the millions will have to spend after our takeover?

Yes

Q: You'll regret that when we are 10 points clear.

A: of relegation?

Thanks again to Sam.

Not too much point in a form guide after two games, but we know that they have had a pretty decent start after they looked good in their 1-1 draw with Liverpool and thrashed Blackpool 6-0 last Saturday. We don't usually do well on Sky, so I'm a bit worried that it may not go well, but who knows. It will be interesting to see Chamakh play, a player who we looked at last summer, and see how he is adapting to the league and it will also be interesting to see exactly how both teams line-up as I'm not sure if either know exactly what their best 11 is yet.

My prediction: Blackburn 0-2 Arsenal

...but fingers crossed

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice preview Eddie, enjoyed it. I'm worried as I feel the big three are going to hand out some real thrashings this year - we've seen three already albeit against lowly opposition, clubs I hope we can beat. However I've a feeling we haven't seen the last of these 4, 5, 6 - 0 games and hope we are not on the end of one on Saturday. I saw nothing of the Birmingham game other than MGP's sad attempt at penalty taking (awful) but against Everton we seriously lacked any creativity or goal threat. I susepct Sam will be hanging on for 0-0 but if Arsenal get a couple we will be chasing the game and could well get hammered.

Looking forward to the match and truely hoping we go out to try and win this game. I think, though, I will be disappointed and we'll stick 10 behind the ball with Kalinic up front, when we should be giving Diouff the chance to prove last night was not a one-off

Great preview eddie.

Cracking early test for us this season against the big 4 club that usually gives us a sniff of a chance of winning (then go up the other end and score 4).

I will make a forecast that I am very confident of- this game will be an absolute cracker.

The result could go any way but Arsenal have to be slight favourites- a 2-3 defeat after plenty of thrills and spills.

Great Preview.

I'm sad to be missing this one on Saturday. I have American relatives over so my Season Ticket will be sat unused.

I think an interesting point for this one is team selection. Can we leave Diouf out of the starting eleven after the scoring of a hat-trick? Granted it was against Championship opposition, but can anyone present any real evidence to suggest that Kalinic is the better option?

I'm hoping for a strong performance. It would be nice to get a draw out of this, I do not enjoy back to back defeats. Come on Rovers!

Hoping for 1 - 1.

Diouf to net his fourth in two games, Man United to reconsider his loan...

Looking forward to the match and truely hoping we go out to try and win this game. I think, though, I will be disappointed and we'll stick 10 behind the ball with Kalinic up front, when we should be giving Diouff the chance to prove last night was not a one-off

Unless the signing of another striker is secured by the weekend or is imminent we shouldn't be starting with Diouf in my opinion when we have Kalinic. The man needs experience more so than a loanee and if we play with both Diouf and Kalsy boy up top and one gets injured we're sodded. Saying that...i'm presuming we will sign at least the one chap who can play up top. I just think our boys should get more of a chance over a loanee unless they're in dire form. And lets not forget that Kalinic has had a good start to the season against real opposition whereas Mame has banged in a couple against Deila's lot.

Unless the signing of another striker is secured by the weekend or is imminent we shouldn't be starting with Diouf in my opinion when we have Kalinic. The man needs experience more so than a loanee and if we play with both Diouf and Kalsy boy up top and one gets injured we're sodded. Saying that...i'm presuming we will sign at least the one chap who can play up top. I just think our boys should get more of a chance over a loanee unless they're in dire form. And lets not forget that Kalinic has had a good start to the season against real opposition whereas Mame has banged in a couple against Deila's lot.

Well I fully understand your arguement and said the same about the Chelsea joke we had last year. However we need to win games and entertain people. Kalinic has a had a year to gain experience and has scored 3 PL goals in 12 months, plus 1 in the FA cup and 4 in the CC. He isn't doing too well in the goal-scoring stakes. I quite like him but don't think he poses a great threat. Diouff looks to be a better player and carries more goal threat with his ability to push through the back line at speed, somehting Kalinic lacks. I think Diouff will score goals which excites me, I don;t get the same feeling with Kalinic - this is probably as much to do with the manager as the player.

Well I fully understand your arguement and said the same about the Chelsea joke we had last year. However we need to win games and entertain people. Kalinic has a had a year to gain experience and has scored 3 PL goals in 12 months, plus 1 in the FA cup and 4 in the CC. He isn't doing too well in the goal-scoring stakes. I quite like him but don't think he poses a great threat. Diouff looks to be a better player and carries more goal threat with his ability to push through the back line at speed, somehting Kalinic lacks. I think Diouff will score goals which excites me, I don;t get the same feeling with Kalinic - this is probably as much to do with the manager as the player.

I understand your argument as well. The best we've got should be played.

I think Kalinic has been extremely unlucky on the goals front though and even without better service I think he's still capable of scoring. Last season he hit the woodwork a lot and had a couple wrongly disallowed.

In the first couple of games this season he's started to look a right handful and deserved a goal against Brum. Probably would've rippled the net rather than rattled the post if Samba hadn't have gone for it as well and nudged him in the back.

Either way it's difficult for me to get excited about a player who aint ours regardless of how good he is...add to that the fact that I rate Kalinic and that's where i'm sat.

Good preview eddie but just one thing to note, almunia didn't play in the 2-1 win last season. It was fabianski in goal which is why we crowded him as he looked weak on coming for crosses.

Like the preview Eddie, but fairly sure it was Fabiansky and not Almunia in goals last season when we beat them. Can anyone confirm?

Van Persie to score anyone?

:rolleyes:

Even if he's injured, suspended, or otherwise unavailable he'll still score. It's a fact of life.

Was starting to think you'd died Waggy!

Apparently, he was "banned".

Two interesting choices for Sam. Kalinic or Diouf? Jones or Linganzi or Grella in the centre alongside Nzonzi? Apart from that the team pretty much picks itself.

I imagine we will play exactly how we did last season. Very aggressive, lots of set pieces, put the keeper under pressure.

Two interesting choices for Sam. Kalinic or Diouf? Jones or Linganzi or Grella in the centre alongside Nzonzi? Apart from that the team pretty much picks itself.

I imagine we will play exactly how we did last season. Very aggressive, lots of set pieces, put the keeper under pressure.

Can't see Linganzi making his first start (or did he start against Villa last game of last season) against Arsenal in a league game. Jones is a possibility, otherwise likely Grella (assuming, massively assuming he got through last night ok).

Robinson

Salgado Samba Jones Givet

EH Diouf Grella NZonzi Pedersen Olsson

Kalinic

Think Mame will come on around minute 60 or so, doesn't have the body for a full 90 minutes against Arsenal (not that Niko does either mind you). Grella's spot will go to Emerton I think as a backup. Don't see Hoilett starting. Could play a 4-4-1-1 with Pedersen in the hole too.

Bench would be:

Bunn, Chimbonda, Nelsen, Emerton, Linganzi, Hoilett, MB Diouf

Id go for Grella and Nzonzi in the centre and Pedersen ahead, probably even if Dunns fit. Grella will give us some aggression and Pedersen dosent deserve to be dropped. Im in 2 minds about the striker, Kalinic has looked good but Diouf will be buzzing and has the physical power we need.

Archived