Eddie

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

French nancy boy Wenger fears the game against Rovers will be a game of rugby

1 SOCCER Arsenal Nightlead

WENGER FEARS ROVERS 'RUGBY' MATCH

By Jim van Wijk, Press Association Sport

Arsene Wenger is fully prepared for Arsenal to face another physical test at Blackburn on Saturday - but maintains it is the referee's responsibility to stop the match descending into ``rugby''.The Gunners - whom Wenger today revealed had completed the signing of experienced French defender Sebastien Squillaci from Sevilla - lost 2-1 at Ewood Park last May.Afterwards Wenger berated Rovers for showing ``no purpose to play the ball'' as they blocked keeper Lukasz Fabianski at every opportunity, and also blamed referee Martin Atkinson for not providing his team with more protection.While the Arsenal manager has no beef with Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce for looking to utilise a more direct approach, Wenger maintains there must be limits.``I believe everybody looks at his squad and tries to find a way where the game is most efficient and we developed one way. It is not the only way, I respect every other way as long as the referees get the rules respected,'' said Wenger.``I saw some pictures last Sunday; you cannot say any more it is football, it is rugby on the goalkeepers [more] than football.``The referees cannot go on and accept that.``When you see how [stoke defender Ryan] Shawcross kicked [Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho] Gomes, how [Robert] Huth pushed Gomes in the goal, you cannot say that is football any more.``If the referees allow that you cannot accept that because that has nothing to do with the game.``Apart from that, when a team play long ball and head the ball and become physical I accept that completely and I respect that - but it has to be in respect of the rules, that is all.''Chris Foy is set to take charge of tomorrow's televised lunchtime encounter.Wenger maintains the referees must uphold their first duty, to ensure player safety.``I believe that in some situations the goalkeepers are not protected,'' the Arsenal manager said.``You cannot have players whose main role is to stop the goalkeepers from catching the ball and not even go for the ball.''Squillaci, meanwhile, is set to train with his new team-mates tomorrow but will not feature at Ewood Park, where summer signing Laurent Koscielny returns from suspension.Wenger feels the 30-year-old France international has all the qualities to fit right into the hustle and bustle of the Barclays Premier League.``We needed a centre-back of quality and experience if possible, and at the right price - he was all of that,'' said Wenger, who lost the services of William Gallas, Mikael Silvestre, Sol Campbell and Philippe Senderos during the summer.``He is a real defender and is good in the one against one, good in the air, and can score goals on set-pieces as well. I believe he will be suited to the English game.''Arsenal have also been linked with Australia international Mark Schwarzer, with Fulham turning down two bids for the 37-year-old.While Wenger refused to rule out bringing in any more players ahead of the deadline, the Arsenal manager insisted no deals were imminent.``We are where we are - we have four great keepers and it is important we give confidence to them for the next game,'' Wenger said.``I do not rule it out, but at the moment I say I am not in a position to sign anybody. At the moment, it is all dead.''Wenger, though, indicated players could still move overseas - with full-back Armand Traore looking set to leave for Benfica.``I believe the transfer window should have been over already for a long time, because it should stop when the championship starts for domestic transfers, internationally it should go on until August 31 because not everybody starts at the same time,'' the Arsenal manager said.end

I'm sure they will get plenty if free kicks tomorrow. I'm 100% certain that the whistle will blow every time someone gets near the arsenal keeper.

There's no other reason for him to be coming out with this dross in every media outlet in the build up to the game.

I hate Wenger and I hate Arsenal. Its funny how he goes on about us being over physical and dirty, does he not remember that period when he had a player red carded pretty much every other week, the likes of Viera and Petit?

The guy tarred us with a brush about being over physical and we are still paying the price for that, check out other forums when Rovers meet their club, its all 'Blackeye Rovers’ that and 'Thugburn' this. Then there is the media that like to mention it every so often when there is any incident or when we play Arsenal.

Wenger? great manager but a complete ######.

I'm sure they will get plenty if free kicks tomorrow. I'm 100% certain that the whistle will blow every time someone gets near the arsenal keeper.

There's no other reason for him to be coming out with this dross in every media outlet in the build up to the game.

I just live in hope that the referees take the exact opposite approach. As a grown man he does whine more than my four year old. Hopefully the ref looks the other way at corners just to spite the mealy mouthed, whining @#/?.

Do you think this is possible?

:blink: Erm, tomorrow?

I just live in hope that the referees take the exact opposite approach. As a grown man he does whine more than my four year old. Hopefully the ref looks the other way at corners just to spite the mealy mouthed, whining @#/?.

Do you think this is possible?

Arsene Whinger's press out burst should bring a charge from the FA. Yet again we have a manager of a big club using the press to put undue pressure on the referee prior to a match. I hope you are right - and the ref thinks "I will ref it my way, and not be influenced".

French nancy boy Wenger fears the game against Rovers will be a game of rugby

1 SOCCER Arsenal Nightlead

WENGER FEARS ROVERS 'RUGBY' MATCH

By Jim van Wijk, Press Association Sport

Arsene Wenger is fully prepared for Arsenal to face another physical test at Blackburn on Saturday - but maintains it is the referee's responsibility to stop the match descending into ``rugby''.The Gunners - whom Wenger today revealed had completed the signing of experienced French defender Sebastien Squillaci from Sevilla - lost 2-1 at Ewood Park last May.Afterwards Wenger berated Rovers for showing ``no purpose to play the ball'' as they blocked keeper Lukasz Fabianski at every opportunity, and also blamed referee Martin Atkinson for not providing his team with more protection.While the Arsenal manager has no beef with Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce for looking to utilise a more direct approach, Wenger maintains there must be limits.``I believe everybody looks at his squad and tries to find a way where the game is most efficient and we developed one way. It is not the only way, I respect every other way as long as the referees get the rules respected,'' said Wenger.``I saw some pictures last Sunday; you cannot say any more it is football, it is rugby on the goalkeepers [more] than football.``The referees cannot go on and accept that.``When you see how [stoke defender Ryan] Shawcross kicked [Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho] Gomes, how [Robert] Huth pushed Gomes in the goal, you cannot say that is football any more.``If the referees allow that you cannot accept that because that has nothing to do with the game.``Apart from that, when a team play long ball and head the ball and become physical I accept that completely and I respect that - but it has to be in respect of the rules, that is all.''Chris Foy is set to take charge of tomorrow's televised lunchtime encounter.Wenger maintains the referees must uphold their first duty, to ensure player safety.``I believe that in some situations the goalkeepers are not protected,'' the Arsenal manager said.``You cannot have players whose main role is to stop the goalkeepers from catching the ball and not even go for the ball.''Squillaci, meanwhile, is set to train with his new team-mates tomorrow but will not feature at Ewood Park, where summer signing Laurent Koscielny returns from suspension.Wenger feels the 30-year-old France international has all the qualities to fit right into the hustle and bustle of the Barclays Premier League.``We needed a centre-back of quality and experience if possible, and at the right price - he was all of that,'' said Wenger, who lost the services of William Gallas, Mikael Silvestre, Sol Campbell and Philippe Senderos during the summer.``He is a real defender and is good in the one against one, good in the air, and can score goals on set-pieces as well. I believe he will be suited to the English game.''Arsenal have also been linked with Australia international Mark Schwarzer, with Fulham turning down two bids for the 37-year-old.While Wenger refused to rule out bringing in any more players ahead of the deadline, the Arsenal manager insisted no deals were imminent.``We are where we are - we have four great keepers and it is important we give confidence to them for the next game,'' Wenger said.``I do not rule it out, but at the moment I say I am not in a position to sign anybody. At the moment, it is all dead.''Wenger, though, indicated players could still move overseas - with full-back Armand Traore looking set to leave for Benfica.``I believe the transfer window should have been over already for a long time, because it should stop when the championship starts for domestic transfers, internationally it should go on until August 31 because not everybody starts at the same time,'' the Arsenal manager said.end

I absolutely despise the man.....ARSEHOLE WHINGER :angry2:

I absolutely despise the man.....ARSEHOLE WHINGER :angry2:

If I was an Arsenal fan it would be music to my ears, he is trying to gain his side an advantage, lets just hope the ref sees any incidents on their merits and does not just fawn over the 'stars' on show.

I hope he's whinging like fook after the match - it'll likely show that we've done a job and got at least a point.

No way it'll be 4-4-2 in this one, 4-5-1, very tight midfield and long, high balls at every opportunity. Great shame we can't take them on at football, but to try would be suicide.

I think Sam should go on the counter offensive and ask the referee to protect his players from those feigning injury, feigning contact, and those who continually push and pull his players at set pieces.

Whinge now, you gooner,

Cryin' as you bugger off home;

Whinge now, you gooner,

Cryin' as you bugger off home.................

I looked over Ewood,

And what did I see,

Wenger has started to moan,

A band of Rovers laughin' with me,

Watchin' rugby at our Ewood home...............

:brfcsmilie::rover:

I would be tempted to take the game to arse and play a 351/531 using the wing back system we used in pre season. Arse wouldn't be expecting it and i dont think they will be lined up to combat it.. no matter what we line up with Olssen will have to play LB and man mark Walcott.

I would be tempted to take the game to arse and play a 351/531 using the wing back system we used in pre season. Arse wouldn't be expecting it and i dont think they will be lined up to combat it.. no matter what we line up with Olssen will have to play LB and man mark Walcott.

Assuming we get a player sent off?

Archived