BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal Preview

Eddie

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good first half, disappointing second half.

Arsenal have been the better team but today shows how important it is that we get a player who can offer that link between the strikers and the midfielders. We need more creativity.

Agreed, the lack of quality took its toll in the second half.

Disappointed that we've lost, and also annoyed that Arsenal will take all the plaudits for winning ugly, and everyone will resume sucking off Theo Walcott - who didn't have that good a game.

A bit harsh but we know how clinical the big sides are and thats the difference.

We faded badly in the second half largely due to Arsenal's control of the middle of the park. We didnt create anything. We should have scored earlier on.

Feel like Ive been punched in the stomach. Id argue we have lost 4 points in the last 2 games when we deserved a bit more.

Gutted. I thought we were good value for a point there.

The second goal was to sloppy though, Givet and Old Diouf fell asleep and let the guy in down our left. Robbo was unlucky to have it miss him and then miss the 3 players sliding back to clear it!

Good first half, disappointing second half.

Arsenal have been the better team but today shows how important it is that we get a player who can offer that link between the strikers and the midfielders. We need more creativity.

I think you have summed it up well there Tim.

The link up play just wasn't there in the second half between the forwards and the midfield. We just kept launching it up field and there was no support for the forwards on the odd occasion when they actually got the ball.

Overall can't complain too much, we gave Arsenal a game and made them work for the three points. I think on this evidence we will be a force at Ewood again this season but there are still areas that need major improvement if we are to push on to the next level.

We were really good and looked a threat when we had the 2 Dioufs and Niko up top but then it all disappeared in the 2nd half. Our midfield disappeared, we sat back and Arsenal punished us. Saying that though they did get lucky with their goal. On the whole, we deserved a draw. Better than them in the 1st half and should have gone in at the break up, thats what paid the price in the end. Still a decent performance and we will pick up plenty of points with performances like that against lesser teams.

We were never gonna bring on Hoilett to play up front cos we can't hoof the ball up to him. He would have needed someone to play with.

To be fair i think Sam said the other day that Jones will end up being a central defender, he just wants to have him in the side getting experience but at the same time doesn't want to drop Nelsen or Samba.

Samba MOTM for me, played a part in the goal, been solid in defense and has been causing some trouble when thrown up front. Correct decision by the sponsors.

This.

It's better to have Jones develop his game and experience by actually playing - and increasing his positional awareness by playing out of position - than not playing at all.

At the moment, neither Samba or Nelsen deserve to be dropped. We tried three centre halves and that didn't work.

We played quite well, very well in the first half in particular, and could have got something from the game. We faded quite badly in the second half and never really looked like getting back into it once they went ahead. I thought the formation suited us quite well and we looked dangerous. I was surprised that Kalinic was taken off when he was and I think that was a mistake, his ability to hold the ball up was a major factor in how we played in the first half. Diouf is a threat out-wide, but he can't handle being in the middle essentially by himself.

The major negative for me was Givet. I'll say again, he's a good defender, but he's never a fullback. He didn't know whether to stick or twist with Walcott and was caught out several times, in particular when he was burned for the first goal and then in the second goal he hesitated when he really should have rushed to close down the crosser. E.H. Diouf also needs to get his head up a bit more. He did well for the goal and he is a good player so long as the right decision is obvious, but he often has his head down and makes the wrong decision, he probably did it three or four times in this match in situations that could have resulted in goal scoring opportunities (the most notable being when he decided to try and take on an Arsenal defender and hold the ball up when he could have slipped Kalinic through first time or pass the ball to the other Diouf who was in acres of space).

Plenty of positives to take from it and it could have been a bit different, but we are crying out for a full-time left back and someone who can pick a pass in the middle. The midfielders did well today at closing down and I thought MGP did a good job in the first half at being involved in attack and Grella and Jones did their job, but we need someone who can just control the midfield (unlikely against Arsenal, but we have the same problem against other teams). Let's stop looking for a goalscorer and start looking at the areas of the team that need to be improved the most.

THought we were very good today. could have had three or four if we had the strikers.

Positives:- Jones (I thought he was brilliant, passed the ball well for a centre half in mid), EH Diouf was superb first half, Samba excellent, Salgado and Nelsen had good games, Pedersen has continued his great run of form

Negatives:- Niko offered very little. Was caught offside in good positions. M Diouf got a goal and played reasonably well, but also wasted good opportunities through misplaced passes and being offside. Dunn and Olsson failed to change the game much. Givet just didn't have the pace to deal with Walcott.

If we had been slightly better up front we would have got a point I think. Samba up front actually looked like a decent plan b. His touch was very skilful.

Strange after a win and two losses, but on this display I would say we look a better side than last year. We need to get a quality striker though, or get more out of Kalinic and M Diouf.

This.

It's better to have Jones develop his game and experience by actually playing - and increasing his positional awareness by playing out of position - than not playing at all.

At the moment, neither Samba or Nelsen deserve to be dropped. We tried three centre halves and that didn't work.

I think its better to play our strongest players in their strongest postitions.

Arsenal's finishing was clinical. Our final ball and finish wasn't.

A great first half performance, a faded second half performance.

Plenty of reasons to be positive.

3 good/excellent performances, but we have only take points in 1. That needs to change.

I thought Jones was a bit out of his depth today. He ran a step too far with the ball. Wasnt too composed or comfortable it looked like and he was hurried, especially after Grella went off.

I think Jones will flourish more in a 3 man midfield rather than a 2 man one.

Very good effort, but the media darlings sneaked away with it. We didn't do much wrong, just couldn't handle at times that neck-breaking speed they posses in attacking. They still won't win a thing this season though.

Bad thing is that it's been two games in a row now that we've lost when we really shouldn't have, and it doesn't get much easier with Man City away next. Very bad start to the season results-wise for those hoping for something better this time around.

I don't want to Pedersen bash, i really don't but i don't think he was as good as some are making out today. Second half especially he went missing and Arsenal were able to run rampant, Jones had to make several last ditch tackles to save us in the second half.

I accept that he offers the throw in threat and when his corners clear the first man (didn't happen often today) a set piece threat. But apart from these (vital to Rovers i know) what else does he really offer?

He is taking a position in the side that could be taken up by a proper, natural central midfielder. Either a natural attacking, creative one or a defensive battling one. We are stuck with him and he will stay in the side for his set piece ability, but i just can't help feel if we are to progress he will have to be replaced at some point.

Archived