BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal Preview

Eddie

Again, why are people saying we had no option with the subs, when Hoilett is on the bench? I guess at that point, it was 'up and at 'em' instead of trying to get a foothold on the game.

Hoilett is the same style of player as Olsson and the Dioufs. Hard to get a foothold up front when you haven't got a player over 5 foot 8.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, certainly not a Sam apologist. I do think though that if we had Benjani on the bench he'd have come on, I think the Samba thing was a last role of the dice. I actually thought the Dunn substitution was a mistake, clearly not fit and lumbering around whereas Grella was doing ok and more importantly was better defensively. Thought Olsson should have come on earlier and I don't think Jones in midfield is a patch on NZonzi.

Dunn looked like he'd eaten Benni McCarthy! Well short of match fitness. It did go awry when Grella went off - he is an excellent player, really underrated. Does the Makalele role - kick people, win it and play it short. Not the most glamorous role but he is our best player by mile for it.

The only slight criticism of the starting line-up was Givet instead of Olsson at leftback, given Walcott's pace. He ripped Givet at will, but to be fair he'll not be the only leftback that Walcott destroys this season.

Dunn looked like he'd eaten Benni McCarthy! Well short of match fitness. It did go awry when Grella went off - he is an excellent player, really underrated. Does the Makalele role - kick people, win it and play it short. Not the most glamorous role but he is our best player by mile for it.

The only slight criticism of the starting line-up was Givet instead of Olsson at leftback, given Walcott's pace. He ripped Givet at will, but to be fair he'll not be the only leftback that Walcott destroys this season.

Agreed, but would also have put NZonzi in instead of Jones, I really don't understand that selection, especially if Grella was fit enough to start and NZonzi was seemingly fit also.

Just got back - mixed feelings.

Plusses - the two Dioufs, the United lad looked our biggest threat today, Salgado (again apart from his two misses) and Samba.

Disappointed that yet again we missed chances - Salgado twice in the 2nd half and Dunn when he should have buried it. Also, thought Jones struggled in that advanced midfield role in first half, improved when he dropped back to where Grella was.

Clearly, we have players not at full match fitness - Grella, Dunn & Kalinic.

Lot of the talk amongst the suits was that JW & Sam have a very hectic 3 days in front of them - the expectation is of AT LEAST one signing.

The 'suits' generally know (Please don't use that word again) all about football.

Haven't seen the highlights but I thought we were poor today against a pretty average Arsenal.

Before I launch my tirade at the manager I am making the assumption that N'Zonzi is fit, he was fit enough to be a sub after all.

We all know how Arsenal are going to play and there strengths and weaknesses. We need to pack the central areas and force them wide. They don't have a decent crosser of the ball and no-one who is a threat in the air. If you give them the chance to take a touch and pick a pass you are in trouble. You also need someone to harry them in midfield and win as many balls as possible. The biggest threat they have at the moment is Walcott and you need a plan to deal with his pace.

Then you get high and/or long balls in their box and trouble them in the air. Not rocket science that, but beyond our manager today.

Firstly the decision to play 2 up was brave and some may say commendable, but it left us short in the centre of the park and as a result they had time on the ball and won most of the loose balls. It also meant we got little chance to put the ball in the mixer. I'm sure we all look forward to Niko and Mame together at some stage but today was not the day.

Secondly team selection. Givet lacks pace and had a mare against Walcott but had little or no help. Jones is not a centre midfielder and I doubt completed a pass today. Grella does a certain job but as a pair they were not mobile enough and could not find a man between them. N'Zonzi puts pressure on the ball and gets about the pitch and is an aerial threat. Incredible decision to leave him out.

So on to the individuals:

Robinson. Not to blame 6/10

Salgado. Caught out a couple of times as usual but generally did well. 7/10

Samba. Should have scored, coped with everything he had to. 7/10

Nelsen. Did nothing wrong. 7/10

Givet. I have been unable to make up my mind about him at full-back. I have now. 3/10

Grella. Didn't have the pace or the lungs to make an impact. 5/10

Jones. Just not a centre midfielder. 4/10

Diouf 1. Very good performance today. Can't ask for much more. 8/10

Pedersen. Sooner have seen him wider today. 6/10

Kalinic. Not his best day. 6/10

Diouf 2. Lacks a first touch but always looked dangerous 7/10

N'Zonzi. Why oh why was he sub? 7/10

Dunn. Fat and slow. 4/10

Olsson. Should have been up against Walcott. 6/10

All in all unsatisfactory, perhaps Sam is starting to think we are a good team. That could be dangerous.

As for Arsenal the new centre half is shockingly bad. The new centre forward isn't much better and I can see them falling out of the top 4. We made it easy for them today. Our players did their bit their bit but were let down by the manager today.

I think the jones in midfield experiment has to end now Nzonzi is far better in there, strange that he has been dropped.

Midfield should be:

Nzonzi Grella

Pedersen

Jones has been probably our best midfielder this season, no way I'd drop him for N'Zonzi. Grella will show his worth if he stays fit. Pedersen has done well and is ok in the advanced role but I would pick Jones, Grella or N'Zonzi ahead of him for the deeper lying positions.

We've no issues wrt the holding players, but we are desperately short of any creativity in midfield.

• Backroom

Pedersen has been our best midfielder so far not jones IMO.

Jones looked lost at times today and Nzonzi was our player of the season last year

One thing is for sure after today Dunn shouldn't be in contention till he's lost a stone or four

Haven't seen the highlights but I thought we were poor today against a pretty average Arsenal.

Before I launch my tirade at the manager I am making the assumption that N'Zonzi is fit, he was fit enough to be a sub after all.

We all know how Arsenal are going to play and there strengths and weaknesses. We need to pack the central areas and force them wide. They don't have a decent crosser of the ball and no-one who is a threat in the air. If you give them the chance to take a touch and pick a pass you are in trouble. You also need someone to harry them in midfield and win as many balls as possible. The biggest threat they have at the moment is Walcott and you need a plan to deal with his pace.

Then you get high and/or long balls in their box and trouble them in the air. Not rocket science that, but beyond our manager today.

Firstly the decision to play 2 up was brave and some may say commendable, but it left us short in the centre of the park and as a result they had time on the ball and won most of the loose balls. It also meant we got little chance to put the ball in the mixer. I'm sure we all look forward to Niko and Mame together at some stage but today was not the day.

Secondly team selection. Givet lacks pace and had a mare against Walcott but had little or no help. Jones is not a centre midfielder and I doubt completed a pass today. Grella does a certain job but as a pair they were not mobile enough and could not find a man between them. N'Zonzi puts pressure on the ball and gets about the pitch and is an aerial threat. Incredible decision to leave him out.

So on to the individuals:

Robinson. Not to blame 6/10

Salgado. Caught out a couple of times as usual but generally did well. 7/10

Samba. Should have scored, coped with everything he had to. 7/10

Nelsen. Did nothing wrong. 7/10

Givet. I have been unable to make up my mind about him at full-back. I have now. 3/10

Grella. Didn't have the pace or the lungs to make an impact. 5/10

Jones. Just not a centre midfielder. 4/10

Diouf 1. Very good performance today. Can't ask for much more. 8/10

Pedersen. Sooner have seen him wider today. 6/10

Kalinic. Not his best day. 6/10

Diouf 2. Lacks a first touch but always looked dangerous 7/10

N'Zonzi. Why oh why was he sub? 7/10

Dunn. Fat and slow. 4/10

Olsson. Should have been up against Walcott. 6/10

All in all unsatisfactory, perhaps Sam is starting to think we are a good team. That could be dangerous.

As for Arsenal the new centre half is shockingly bad. The new centre forward isn't much better and I can see them falling out of the top 4. We made it easy for them today. Our players did their bit their bit but were let down by the manager today.

You didn't watch the game then? Cos that post is so wrong in so many ways - apart from the Givet/Olsson bit - I really don't know where to start.

Chasing a goal so take off our strikers and put on a left back and a centre mid... Good one sam!

I thought the same thing at the time but it worked. We were a real threat after that, having not been for the majority of the second half.

I thought the same thing at the time but it worked. We were a real threat after that, having not been for the majority of the second half.

I think we LOOKED a threat because they backed off and got players back, with more attacking options on the field we could have exploited that.

Am gutted we didn't get anything from the game. First half as others have said we were excellent, and arguably unlucky to be held to 1-1, I can't remember Arsenal cutting us apart that often with their passing. Second half, we sat back far too much and paid the penalty for it.

I always think Arsenal are one of the hardest teams to play against when you are chasing a game because of their style of play, but the response to going a goal down first time round was fantastic by rovers. Second time, we just lost our way further and struggled to make a strong impression till the later stages of the game.

Player wise, am not as enamoured with the new Diouf as others are. Thought he had a decent game, and did well for his goal, but his passing was shocking and didn't seem to work as hard defensively as everyone else. However, if he continues like that, and continues to score I don't think we can really complain too much.

Old Diouf was exceptional first half, and decent in the second - to be fair no one looked good in the second half. If he can keep it at that level all season then it'll be like having a new and very good player on our hands.

Other than that, Grella impressed me by not breaking down and kept things ticking over pretty well. Not sure he offers anything other that N'Zonzi to be honest though. Samba was immense. Jones was very solid. Pedersen worked very hard although wasn't as creative - partly I think as new Diouf is less defensive and Grella a little more static than N'Zonzi meaning Peds had a bit more running to do.

On the down side, Givet really struggled with Walcott, although I think anyone would've done. Personally I'd have played Olsson at left mid to give Givet a bit more protection against the nippy blighter - or perhaps swapped Givet for Olsson as a substitution during the game itself. Dunn looked annoymous - in fact on that showing he won't be our main creative force, and this seriously needs addressing. Perhaps this is why Sam has brought in Benjani - to spend our resources on adequate cover for Dunn, as on today's perfomrance it is very needed.

Bit disheartened that we didn't get anything. 3 points from 3 - or at least 2 and a half good performances, is incredibly frustrating.

Missed the first bit as was on way back from Academy.

However thought we looked good in first half, with everyone playing well. We were caught for the goal on the break and everyone was out of position so no surprise when they scored.

Second half we stopped doing what we had been doing and at the end of the day we were beaten by a better side, plain and simple, no huge complaints.

Givet did look to have a mare today, thought he should have gone out quicker to Sagna for the second goal.

EH Diouf impressed again with his work ethic, 1000x better than last season and Gamst seems to have found his set pieces though there were some poor ones but not everyone like last year.

Jones I thought looked shattered after the hour mark today, he barely made a successful pass after that. Dunn struggled to get involved and couldn't get his ball out of his feet for his chance.

Am gutted we didn't get anything from the game. First half as others have said we were excellent, and arguably unlucky to be held to 1-1, I can't remember Arsenal cutting us apart that often with their passing. Second half, we sat back far too much and paid the penalty for it.

I always think Arsenal are one of the hardest teams to play against when you are chasing a game because of their style of play, but the response to going a goal down first time round was fantastic by rovers. Second time, we just lost our way further and struggled to make a strong impression till the later stages of the game.

Player wise, am not as enamoured with the new Diouf as others are. Thought he had a decent game, and did well for his goal, but his passing was shocking and didn't seem to work as hard defensively as everyone else. However, if he continues like that, and continues to score I don't think we can really complain too much.

Old Diouf was exceptional first half, and decent in the second - to be fair no one looked good in the second half. If he can keep it at that level all season then it'll be like having a new and very good player on our hands.

Other than that, Grella impressed me by not breaking down and kept things ticking over pretty well. Not sure he offers anything other that N'Zonzi to be honest though. Samba was immense. Jones was very solid. Pedersen worked very hard although wasn't as creative - partly I think as new Diouf is less defensive and Grella a little more static than N'Zonzi meaning Peds had a bit more running to do.

On the down side, Givet really struggled with Walcott, although I think anyone would've done. Personally I'd have played Olsson at left mid to give Givet a bit more protection against the nippy blighter - or perhaps swapped Givet for Olsson as a substitution during the game itself. Dunn looked annoymous - in fact on that showing he won't be our main creative force, and this seriously needs addressing. Perhaps this is why Sam has brought in Benjani - to spend our resources on adequate cover for Dunn, as on today's perfomrance it is very needed.

Bit disheartened that we didn't get anything. 3 points from 3 - or at least 2 and a half good performances, is incredibly frustrating.

Agree with pretty much all of this. New diouf did well but wasn't brilliant, I do feel the strikers, particularly kalinic, weren't given too many great chances to put it away as a lot of plays seemed to just be long ball/throw then samba flick on. I thought old diouf was great today, particularly 1st half.

One thing I would say about this post is that olsson shouldn't have come on for givet, as suggested, but should have started today to try and handle walcotts pace.

A couple of things i think Sam can be criticsed for today:

- He needs to realise JONES IS NOT A MIDFIELDER. It would be understandable if our midfield was ridden with injuries, but with Nzonzi and Dunn on the bench its plainly obvious Sam is just trying to fit all 3 centre backs in somehow.

- His use of subs was questionable; not necessarily who he brought on but who he took off. Kalinic i could kind of understand as he was having one of those days but id of like to see Sam gamble and go 2 up. The last sub was the most puzzling, why take off our only striker(unless hes injured), as theres wasnt much time remaining we could have stuck Samba up anyway and Diouf has proven he knows where the ball will bounce.

Again it was quite a good performance, yet 3 points from 3 games means a poor start like last season, not ideal.

- I though Grella did a good job in the holding role, broke up play, put his foot in and kept things simple, you could tell who was the midfielder out of him and Jones. We should play him and Nzonzi against City.

- El Hadji Diouf was superb, especially in the 1st half. Sam said hes gained an extra bit of space, you could tell in the first goal, and he is good at picking the right option and final ball.

- Good to see Mame Diouf get another goal, showed good movement out of position, so much better than Di Santo.

- Kalinic just had one of those days where nothing went his way. His movement, effort and touch make him a fans favourite though, however he did snatch at the one half chance he got.

- Pedersen wasnt very influential today, however his performances earlier this season mean this isnt a concern. However Dunn looked off the pace when he came on.

- Samba was immense, reads the game well and uses his pace and long legs to his advantage, brilliant again.

Id go for:

Robbo

Salgado Jones Samba Givet

Nzonzi Grella

E-Diouf Pedersen Olsson

M-Diouf

against City. I didnt want to drop Kalinic but Olssons pace on the flank and playing Mame centrally could be handy on the counter.

good performance by the team. we at least deserve a point from that game. Couldn't ask anything more from the team. Today we were lack a striker on the bench today. Kalinic and M.Diouf work the socks off today. Thought M.Diouf play well on the winger. Just need another striker now and maybe a deep midfield playmaker like Tugay before the end of the transfer window

I thought we were shocking today. Our passing is all over the place, we struggle to safely ferry the ball from one end of the field to the other. Pedersen in particular was guilty of wasting possession time and again (late into the second half he sent in a cross when there was nobody in the box, something he can't failed to have seen). We play such low percentage football that our players are constantly having to contort and stretch to even bring the ball under control. There is no urgency in our play.

We've 3 points from three games. And those points were gained with a huge slice of luck. It'll be a long, hard season methinks.

Jones has been probably our best midfielder this season, no way I'd drop him for N'Zonzi. Grella will show his worth if he stays fit. Pedersen has done well and is ok in the advanced role but I would pick Jones, Grella or N'Zonzi ahead of him for the deeper lying positions.

We've no issues wrt the holding players, but we are desperately short of any creativity in midfield.

A good midfield player can both defend and attack. Jones can only do 1.

One point plastic head, we didn't play 442 for most of the game the Dioufs were out wide

Diouf was basically a second attacker today? He did play wider but hardly as a winger/wide midfielder.

You didn't watch the game then? Cos that post is so wrong in so many ways - apart from the Givet/Olsson bit - I really don't know where to start.

It's not right or wrong it's just an opinion of the game.

Good first half, extremely poor second.

Anyway more importantly, today I saw Heston Blumenthal with Nigel Howarth outside the club shop and Abbey eating double battered sausage chips and curry outside Holly Tree chippy :P

I thought we were shocking today. Our passing is all over the place, we struggle to safely ferry the ball from one end of the field to the other. Pedersen in particular was guilty of wasting possession time and again (late into the second half he sent in a cross when there was nobody in the box, something he can't failed to have seen). We play such low percentage football that our players are constantly having to contort and stretch to even bring the ball under control. There is no urgency in our play.

We've 3 points from three games. And those points were gained with a huge slice of luck. It'll be a long, hard season methinks.

That's nonsense, better side at Brum, Everton never had a chance and we had a poor second half today.

Transparent plastic head, transparent plastic brain. If you seriously watched the game then you deserve that comment, otherwise please don't waste your time providing an irrelevant and uninformed opinion for the sake of making yourself heard.

(I'm referring to Plastic Head not MarkBRFC71)

Archived