BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal Preview

Eddie

That's nonsense, better side at Brum, Everton never had a chance and we had a poor second half today.

He does have a point. Despite being better against Birmingham, we still lost. And we created next to nothing against Everton either. We played well in the first half today, but we didn't really create much apart from the goal and Chris Samba's header over the bar. We all know that we play a direct game and it works for us. However, some of our passing is so bad it's beyond belief. There is such a reluctance to hold onto the ball for any time at all or play a simple pass, it's just humped forward in the general direction of one of our players. Whenever we do try and pass the ball, it's either lofted, over hit or not to the feet of the player. He then has a job to do to bring the ball under control and then there's a defender breathing down his neck. We've been unlucky today, because I don't think that Arsenal were that much better than us.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a pretty decent performance today. In the first half we matched them and thoroughly deserved to be level at half-time. They got the bounce of the ball in the area for their second goal and, in fairness, they were very dangerous on the break due to the speed of their players. However, when you look at the money that has been spent at Arsenal and compare it with ourselves, you can't be surprised at the difference in quality between the teams.

However, I felt we put them under pressure at times and was delighted with the performance. The biggest disappointment for me today was the performance of Kalinic. His workrate off the ball was very poor which was a surprise after he played so well last week at Birmingham.

After three games we only have three points but the performances have been very encouraging. There seems a tremendous spirit amongst the players and they seem to be responding to the ideas of Big Sam and his staff. With the number of youngsters starting to come through I feel the future is very bright.

after the Brum game the good thing was that we only had to wait 2 days before our next game...but now with the break and then the City away game coming up, it'll be 20 days before we'll be in a game where we can expect to pick up points again.

A good midfield player can both defend and attack. Jones can only do 1.

It's not right or wrong it's just an opinion of the game.

In that case, we don't have any good midfield players. Grella, and N'Zonzi can't attack, Pedersen and Dunn can't defend. Jones is the best we've got - he can tackle, and he does try to get forward (remember the run against Everton?). The fact he's been our best midfielder just goes to show how very weak we are in that area.

And, fair enough, you're as entitled to post your opinions as others are to disagree with them.

1 bad half in three games. Get a grip people. We probably should have 1 or 2 points more than we do right now, but watching us play im not too concerned regarding how this season is shaping up. We were perhaps a shade fortunate to beat Everton, but we were unfortunate to lose to Birmingham.

Games against the top 4 arent going to decide whether we stay up. If today had been against Wigan then fine, but it wasnt.

Apart from Jones in midfield Im happy with how Sam is moulding the team. Should Olsson have started instead of Givet? Probably, but didnt Olsson have his worst game against Lennon a year or so ago??? Givet has done well enough at full back to warrant keeping his place.

EH Diouf looked twice as good as ive ever seen him play and Gamst does seem to have sorted out his set pieces. The points will take care of themselves if we keep on playing well.

Nzonzi needs to start in place of Jones. That is the only issue I can take out of today. If Dunn can get back into form then I see no reason why we cant be in and around the top 10 come Christmas.

When I saw the team - I did wonder what Sam was up to - but must admit the first half performance justified his selections.

There after - his choices were a little strange. I would never have brought on a half fit Dunn against a team with so much pace in their midfield - especially when you have one up front you need midfield players who have pace to break from midfield.

Taking off a striker - to eventually put a centre half up front - Samba is great for knock downs - no point if their isn't a striker near him to feed off the scraps.

Unlike many people - didn't think Givet had too bad a match. Even with Olssons pace - Walcott would have scored.

Overall Sam's percentage football actually meant that a team that cost a fraction of Arsenal's team actually had enough chances over the 90 minutes to deserve a draw. We also played, at times, some decent football.

Big plus point - Grella - he may not be pretty - but he is effective. Would prefer to see him paired with Nzonzi, rather than Jones. Don't think Jones had a bad match as such - but at times he did look like a centre half playing midfield. Having said all that - he did stop at least one definite goal - and still looks like being the classiest centre-half we have had at the club for a long time. Personally I would drop Nelsen to play Jones - not that Nelsen did anything wrong - just think Samba and Jones looked the dog's b's at the end of last season.

Good entertaining game - we deserved a draw - but ended up with nothing. Given the opposition 3 points from the first three matches isn't too bad - just disappointing considering the performances. Our season will be shaped by games against the Bolton's and Wigan's - - other results are just a bonus.

I thought the first half we were quite good - after saying at the end of last season I wasn't going to renew my ST, the old man talked me into it and, after missing the Everton game through holiday, was pleasantly suprised with the first 45 mins of action that I've seen this season.

I thought we were quite bright, good inventive movement up front and some neat passing at times - not all long-ball percentage stuff by any means, which was good to see.

However, it was all too good to be true and 2nd half we were back to the sort of tripe we saw for most of last season. 1 player up front, completely isolated with the midfield playing so far behind him and having to deal with long balls coming at shoulder height or above (which is only about 10% of the long balls we knock - the other 90% are just aimless punts into touch). Which means that even if you do manage to battle against the centre back and get it under control there's another 3 defenders waiting to dispossess you straight away and so possession is lost very easily and they can come at us again.

Absolutely no suprise we lost this based on the 2nd half performance, and it's a shame because the 1st half performance deserved better - we wasted all the hard work of the first 45 mins and it makes you wonder what the manager said to them at half-time. Which was the way that he wanted us to play - 1st half or 2nd half? I hope that it's the 1st half, because if that's the case we'll win more than we lose and we might just be entertaining to watch to boot, but unfortunately I fear that it's probably the 2nd.

A few other points from the game:

Kalinic was poor today. I like him and he works incredibly hard, and in a system that suited him better he'd probably look a decent player, but he struggled badly today. Never held the ball up and was dominated by their centre backs. Today's game was crying out for Jason Roberts - he would have given their centre backs far more to think about and would have retained possession better for us. He's still our player and he's costing us £33,000 a week apparently, so why not make use of him while he's still here. It's only Sam's stubborness that won't allow it and it cost us today.

Although we looked to play better football in the first half today, we still rely on set-pieces too much. I said last year that making Samba come forward for every throw-in would cost us as it leaves us open to the counter-attack - and that's exactly what happened for their first goal today. We pack the area for a throw-in, the ball goes behind and they counter quickly and before you know it we're 1-0 down.

EH Diouf looked a far better player today than at any other point in his rovers career. I've been one of his critics, but if he can keep playing like that he will win me round. He did tire in the 2nd half though and he probably should have been the Diouf to go off rather than Mame. It would have been interesting to see Mame upfront with Samba for the last 10.

Grella looked good - lets hope he can actually stay fit for a while. I think someone said after Tuesdays game that we play better football with him in the side, and it's true.

Jones - good player, whole-hearted and works incredibly hard, but he's not a midfielder. Loses possession time and again. Unlike most on here I'm not a huge fan of Nzonzi but I think he's probably a better option in the midfield than Jones.

I thought the first half we were quite good - after saying at the end of last season I wasn't going to renew my ST, the old man talked me into it and, after missing the Everton game through holiday, was pleasantly suprised with the first 45 mins of action that I've seen this season.

I thought we were quite bright, good inventive movement up front and some neat passing at times - not all long-ball percentage stuff by any means, which was good to see.

However, it was all too good to be true and 2nd half we were back to the sort of tripe we saw for most of last season. 1 player up front, completely isolated with the midfield playing so far behind him and having to deal with long balls coming at shoulder height or above (which is only about 10% of the long balls we knock - the other 90% are just aimless punts into touch). Which means that even if you do manage to battle against the centre back and get it under control there's another 3 defenders waiting to dispossess you straight away and so possession is lost very easily and they can come at us again.

Absolutely no suprise we lost this based on the 2nd half performance, and it's a shame because the 1st half performance deserved better - we wasted all the hard work of the first 45 mins and it makes you wonder what the manager said to them at half-time. Which was the way that he wanted us to play - 1st half or 2nd half? I hope that it's the 1st half, because if that's the case we'll win more than we lose and we might just be entertaining to watch to boot, but unfortunately I fear that it's probably the 2nd.

A few other points from the game:

Kalinic was poor today. I like him and he works incredibly hard, and in a system that suited him better he'd probably look a decent player, but he struggled badly today. Never held the ball up and was dominated by their centre backs. Today's game was crying out for Jason Roberts - he would have given their centre backs far more to think about and would have retained possession better for us. He's still our player and he's costing us £33,000 a week apparently, so why not make use of him while he's still here. It's only Sam's stubborness that won't allow it and it cost us today.

Although we looked to play better football in the first half today, we still rely on set-pieces too much. I said last year that making Samba come forward for every throw-in would cost us as it leaves us open to the counter-attack - and that's exactly what happened for their first goal today. We pack the area for a throw-in, the ball goes behind and they counter quickly and before you know it we're 1-0 down.

EH Diouf looked a far better player today than at any other point in his rovers career. I've been one of his critics, but if he can keep playing like that he will win me round. He did tire in the 2nd half though and he probably should have been the Diouf to go off rather than Mame. It would have been interesting to see Mame upfront with Samba for the last 10.

Grella looked good - lets hope he can actually stay fit for a while. I think someone said after Tuesdays game that we play better football with him in the side, and it's true.

Jones - good player, whole-hearted and works incredibly hard, but he's not a midfielder. Loses possession time and again. Unlike most on here I'm not a huge fan of Nzonzi but I think he's probably a better option in the midfield than Jones.

Love this new forum software for the iPad, I keep posting blanks, maybe not a bad thing. Any road taking off two strikers and not replacing them sends a message to me.

1 Sam wants to prove to the board he needs another striker, so he put Samba up front.

2 He wants to send a message to his strikers that Benjani is taking one of their places

3 He has admitted that Roberts comments about strikers difficulty in scoring with the system we play are correct and he plans to sign the only striker who can come to terms with it. Kevin Davies.

I thought it was a pretty decent performance today. In the first half we matched them and thoroughly deserved to be level at half-time. They got the bounce of the ball in the area for their second goal and, in fairness, they were very dangerous on the break due to the speed of their players. However, when you look at the money that has been spent at Arsenal and compare it with ourselves, you can't be surprised at the difference in quality between the teams.

However, I felt we put them under pressure at times and was delighted with the performance. The biggest disappointment for me today was the performance of Kalinic. His workrate off the ball was very poor which was a surprise after he played so well last week at Birmingham.

After three games we only have three points but the performances have been very encouraging. There seems a tremendous spirit amongst the players and they seem to be responding to the ideas of Big Sam and his staff. With the number of youngsters starting to come through I feel the future is very bright.

As with the vast majority of your posts parsonblue, spot on yet again.

Kalinic let himself and the team down second half, this then which started off a whole lot of changes to try and bring about the desired outcome only for big Sam and Rovers to run out of time. If Kalinic had been stronger and more effective then the manager could have concentrated his attentions on other areas, sadly all Niko did was drag that focus away.

I thought we were shocking today. Our passing is all over the place, we struggle to safely ferry the ball from one end of the field to the other. Pedersen in particular was guilty of wasting possession time and again (late into the second half he sent in a cross when there was nobody in the box, something he can't failed to have seen). We play such low percentage football that our players are constantly having to contort and stretch to even bring the ball under control. There is no urgency in our play.

We've 3 points from three games. And those points were gained with a huge slice of luck. It'll be a long, hard season methinks.

Shocking? Very harsh words Matt. We more than matched a much better Arsenal side that we beat in May , esp in the 1st 45 mins. Second half , their strength showed, and but for a bit of luck we could have easily drawn. I concede Arsenal winning was about a fair result, but shocking? Never.

I see we have the usual negative garbage posted on here...

First point, we faced a full strength Arsenal side playing at the top of their game and gave the an enormous challenge. Arsenal are no longer kids- these are players getting to their peak in their mid-twenties who have been playing together at the highest level of football since they were teenagers. In the second half, they upped their power and presence a notch, cut out the misplaced passes and we could not compete with it effectively but in the first half we gave them one heck of a game.

Second point, any criticism of Rovers players is uncalled for- the team was superb throughout.

The Diouf twins were magnificent and EHD is a total revelation this season- the strength holding off Vermaellen to set up the goal was awesome.

MGP is fantastic in his new role.

Kalinic gave the Arsenal defence a torrid time until he tired.

Grella was superb until he tired.

All the defence played brilliantly and were extremely well drilled. If you are going to blame anyone for the first goal watch number 28 Jones in the build-up for it, not Givet. Walcott literally burst the net with his shot- the ground staff had to re-knot it where the ball struck before the second half could start.

Having said that, Phil Jones is the most exciting emerging home grown talent we have seen at Ewood in the Premier League years.

Fantastic effort against an Arsenal outfit that means business this year and unfortunate not to take a point.

The real question is: why did we take all of our strikers off when we were 2-1 down?

I must admit I wouldn't have minded seeing Samba up top, central with Niko and new Diouf playing to his left and right (but still central)

Wouldn't this have been an effective shock tactic?

Philipl, that's the best summing up of todays game I've seen.

I just want to add that all played well except Dunny who looked unfit, tired, lethargic and thoroughly out of sorts. He shouldn't have come on.

That said, I like the way Sam uses his substitutes and tries to change the game. Many previous managers have been reluctant to try something new.

OK it didn't come off today but it might have done.

The result at St Andrews last week still hurts more than todays.

1st half good footy..masterstroke sam

2nd half wtf. Footy..masterbaiter sam

Losing ..takes both strikers off puts defensive midfielder off and defender up front on his own..if samba was striker he would of scored with header on first half..expert ? My arse

Beer and blackberries ha

1st half good footy..masterstroke sam

2nd half wtf. Footy..masterbaiter sam

Losing ..takes both strikers off puts defensive midfielder off and defender up front on his own..if samba was striker he would of scored with header on first half..expert ? My arse

Beer and blackberries ha

2nd half Arsenal stepped up a gear, went 2-1 up, and controlled the game. Last 5 mins Sam throws big Samba up front for other players to feed off.

Don't tell me people like Dunn, MGP and EH Diouf are incapable of scoring goals. In other words they are strikers also.

• Backroom

I see the BBC are doing their usual smear campaign on us claiming all we did was hoofball and highlighting the good football for wallcotts goal but not a mention of ours.

New depths.

The more I think about it the more I realize we threw away a chance against an Arsenal side in second gear, far from their best, missing their top players in top form. Worst performance Id seen from Fabregas except for 10 minutes during the start of the second half. They were there for the taking. Just as disappointed about not getting one point here as I felt last weekend in losing 3 points. With Man City coming up, the regret of missed opportunities is going to catch up with us during the early season table.

I see we have the usual negative garbage posted on here...

First point, we faced a full strength Arsenal side playing at the top of their game and gave the an enormous challenge. Arsenal are no longer kids- these are players getting to their peak in their mid-twenties who have been playing together at the highest level of football since they were teenagers. In the second half, they upped their power and presence a notch, cut out the misplaced passes and we could not compete with it effectively but in the first half we gave them one heck of a game.

Second point, any criticism of Rovers players is uncalled for- the team was superb throughout.

The Diouf twins were magnificent and EHD is a total revelation this season- the strength holding off Vermaellen to set up the goal was awesome.

MGP is fantastic in his new role.

Kalinic gave the Arsenal defence a torrid time until he tired.

Grella was superb until he tired.

All the defence played brilliantly and were extremely well drilled. If you are going to blame anyone for the first goal watch number 28 Jones in the build-up for it, not Givet. Walcott literally burst the net with his shot- the ground staff had to re-knot it where the ball struck before the second half could start.

Having said that, Phil Jones is the most exciting emerging home grown talent we have seen at Ewood in the Premier League years.

Fantastic effort against an Arsenal outfit that means business this year and unfortunate not to take a point.

A bit OTT to suggest this was Arsenal at their best Id say. We put them under the cosh but they were experienced enough to handle it, if that is what you are implying. I agree about our players giving their all and overall we looked excellent in the first half. But I thought Arsenal controlled it in the second half and we couldnt get into our stride.

Archived