BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton Away Tickets

AndyNeil

For what its worth. Way I saw it was a typical Sam Allardyce team pitched up determined to spoil the game, make it scrappy and play off set pieces. Very well organised, difficult to break down and all round physically strong.

We struggled against that in the first half but were completely dominating the second half till Davies was sent off. I think it was over 70% possession.

Then I'd say it was again a typical Allardyce away side. Set up to frustrate and irritate, but when pressing home an advantage is required, not entirely sure what to do with itself. You guys huffed and puffed but save for the goal it was very one paced and predictable. You can talk about a set piece goal and a "long ball" but the quality on our second shown by Holden was worthy of winning any game.

The positivity and never say die attitude Coyle has brought us was never more evident than today.

Two very different times, your back four is very good, and Jones looks some player whether he is a midfielder or a centre half. But clearly going forwards you struggle to create much outside of set pieces even when we went down to 10 men.

Both teams will be near enough each other in mid table this season I feel!

Look forwards to seeing the white Brazilians :wacko: at Ewood next year!

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we stopped bolton playing from the good football they have been playing all season - so they went back to long ball and we simply couldnt handle kevin davies in the air :/ ....i also think today aswell as other games show why we need a proper left back

We can count ourselves unlucky today, we played some decent stuff in patches, thought Roberts looked dangerous and he should have been playing long before now in my opinion.

No complaints about the manager today, bad defending was at the heart of our troubles, the manager is helpless, just plain bad defending by players that should know better.

On the Coyle debate, the man is destined is bigger things, probably end up at Liverpool at some stage down the line. What he did at burnley and what he’s also doing at Bolton is sure to get him noticed, he’s the best young manager in the country bar non.

We've had a good run at the Breezeblock, onwards and upwards with a few quid invested in the team.

I still can't work out why our most effective player was taken off and our least effective one left on for as long as possible.

Olsson was on a (ludicrous) booking so I assume SA took him off to prevent Clattenburg the chance to redress the numbers balance. Wise move. Dunny was awful but Hoillett should have been brought on much earlier. Widemen are so important when the opposition is a man down. Junior played a part in our goal and imo could have seen us to a positive result if he'd been on sooner. I can understand Dunn coming on to introduce a schemer but unfortunately he contributed absolutely nothing.

We can count ourselves unlucky today, we played some decent stuff in patches, thought Roberts looked dangerous and he should have been playing long before now in my opinion.

Roberts was awful imo. He's not a premiership striker and he never has been. Its harsh but the quicker he leaves the club the better. He has only ever done well when being brought on as a substitute and clearly he expects to start. Not good enough for this level.

For what its worth. Way I saw it was a typical Sam Allardyce team pitched up determined to spoil the game, make it scrappy and play off set pieces. Very well organised, difficult to break down and all round physically strong.

We struggled against that in the first half but were completely dominating the second half till Davies was sent off. I think it was over 70% possession.

Then I'd say it was again a typical Allardyce away side. Set up to frustrate and irritate, but when pressing home an advantage is required, not entirely sure what to do with itself. You guys huffed and puffed but save for the goal it was very one paced and predictable. You can talk about a set piece goal and a "long ball" but the quality on our second shown by Holden was worthy of winning any game.

The positivity and never say die attitude Coyle has brought us was never more evident than today.

Two very different times, your back four is very good, and Jones looks some player whether he is a midfielder or a centre half. But clearly going forwards you struggle to create much outside of set pieces even when we went down to 10 men.

Given your angle that's a reasonable summation. Your analysis falls down a bit given that the second half of the first half saw us more or less camped in your final third - not sure which part of the typical Allardyce side this was. You also looked completely at sixes and sevens for the 10 minutes or so after you went down to 10 and that's when we missed the chance to finish the game. Having said that, it was a stone wall penalty for handball just before you scored - you shouldn't be able to defend with your arms above your shoulders and get away when the ball hits it under any circumstances.

I was also very disappointed with the overly cynical side of your game. Holden looks a real talent so why does he have to be on his arse as soon as someone tickles him? After Elmander was booked he was extremely lucky not to get another booking for a series of wild challenges. If he had managed to grab Junior's shirt like he tried that would have been a booking as well. Didn't look much like white Brazilians to me.

Overall though I can't disagree with your conclusion that there won't be too much to separate us at the end of the season and that we will be back at the Breezeblock next season.

That's pretty much exactly what I saw, except it was 70% possession to Rovers until Davies got sent off according to Sky. Can't argue with any of your other comments though.

Givet was appalling at both ends today. Couldn't defend and missed two sitters - get him dropped, needs a kick up the arse. A left back is a priority.

Rovers make me so angry. Hate Bolton, and annoying how only that corner sing (even then not much!)

I think that their tactics were superior today but they would'nt have scored 2 if our defence was'nt so bad, time to drop some defenders for me and give others a chance.

The two Bolton goals were not scored by attacking players. I've said it before but our midfield is too attack minded and does not protect the defence enough from opposing midfield runners. We simply do not track opposing midfield players as we should. Their second goal saw Holden leave Phil Jones trailing in his wake. I might be wrong but I'd imagine Grella would have got goal side of him. Phil Jones is a great prospect and seems a Nolan type box to box player but until we have a replacement he needs to concentrate on a defensive deep sitting role.

Roberts was awful imo. He's not a premiership striker and he never has been. Its harsh but the quicker he leaves the club the better. He has only ever done well when being brought on as a substitute and clearly he expects to start. Not good enough for this level.

You clearly didn't watch the game, he was far more effective than Kalinic has been all season.

Not saying he’s a premiership striker but he played well today and is a far better option than Kalinic in the lone striker role.

That's pretty much exactly what I saw, except it was 70% possession to Rovers until Davies got sent off according to Sky. Can't argue with any of your other comments though.

That's a pretty amazing comment from someone who wants rid of Allardyce asap. Our Bolton friend ends by saying that we will be together in mid table at the end of the season and given Sam's resources that would be an excellent result and difficult to see how any other manager would better it, especially taking over in mid season.

A few people are going over-board about that.

The bottom line is that you should have got something from the game, but the totally under-rated Kevin Davies proved what a top striker he is. Anybody want to critise him now? His contribution in the last half hour was awesome.

You can't blame Sam for that. Decent decisions, correct tactics.

Davies made the difference because he can play a defence virtually on his own. Awesome player.

Coyley is updating the old phrase 'better to be lucky than good.' In his case 'better to be both lucky and good.'

The bottom line is that you should have got something from the game, but the totally under-rated Kevin Davies proved what a top striker he is. Anybody want to critise him now? His contribution in the last half hour was awesome.

Davies made the difference because he can play a defence virtually on his own. Awesome player.

Coyley is updating the old phrase 'better to be lucky than good.' In his case 'better to be both lucky and good.'

Davies was decent but genuinely didn't find him special? As a player who holds it up, always going to be valuable when it's 11 v 10, but I wouldn't want him here!

Pedersen was awful today, his deliveries were shocking. Not sure why but he seemed to drift every one of them in instead of whipping them in with pace which he's been doing to great effect recently.

I disagree I thought Pedersen's delivery was okay to be honest. He put in a lot of good balls and there was plenty of half-chances as the ball kept bouncing around in the area just nobody to put the chances away. As usual our major threat came from set-pieces, take away Pedersen's deliveries and we wouldn't be half as effective in my opinion. Although I agree in that I prefer to see the ball being whipped in where possible but it's difficult to do such a thing with more central free-kicks and corners from the left-flank. We didn't get too many free-kicks from the bylines where he can really whip it like he has done to great effect recentley.

Is he? Odd then that when Davies was sent off they were huffing and puffing and they then simply reverted to pre Coyle type and played massive hoofball. They looked miles more effective, put us under pressure and scored two typical long ball goals. Yet you and others are praising their football. Don't argue either cause I was there, sat high up on the halfway line and not watching through the bottom of a beer glass.

You and others need to simmer down and put your brains into gear before you make yourselves look ever more stupid and ignorant of football basics.

You've forgotten his part in raising tuition fees, trashing Prince Charles car and voting Cher out of X Factor imy. :rolleyes:

Praising their football over the course of the season, but as normal you'll twist any comment to suit your argument. Of course they went more direct when down to 10 - most teams would because of the numerical disadvantage - but they did still try and play it out too. What concerns me most about today was that they had us on the rack several times and scored twice when they had a man less. The onus was on us to attack and we looked a bit clueless.

And don't give it the big one about "being there" or harp on about people being critical of the manager - everyone remembers your little non-attending bitch-strop when Ince was here. :P

Davies was decent but genuinely didn't find him special? As a player who holds it up, always going to be valuable when it's 11 v 10, but I wouldn't want him here!

Just watch the last half hour again. Immense. One off the line at his own end, pestered the life out of Nelsen and Samba more than the pairing with Elmander did before that.

He does the sh1tty things that people might not easily notice [not been patronising there].

His work-rate and pressure was the difference.

Big Sam thought along the same lines.

Davies is the best of his kind. Full stop.

That's a pretty amazing comment from someone who wants rid of Allardyce asap. Our Bolton friend ends by saying that we will be together in mid table at the end of the season and given Sam's resources that would be an excellent result and difficult to see how any other manager would better it, especially taking over in mid season.

I meant more about today's game to be honest.

As for the other bit, I think Sam will guide us to safety, but I'm not convinced he's the right man to take us any further than that. Guess we'll see - have Venky's come out and offered their full, unwavering support of Sam yet?

Roberts was physically dominated by Knight and his only answer to that was to hit the deck at every opportunity and throw his arms in the air...so damn frustrating to watch!

Only in the air. But then Alan Wright would boss Roberts in the air! As I said last week he's 6'2" and 4'6" when he jumps for the ball. It's no wonder Sam lost patience with him and wanted him out. In fairness to Jason he did well and gave Knight a hard time when the ball was played on the floor.

+1 Matty.

Coyle is gaining another "footballing genius" kind of reputation. He gained this at Burnley and is carrying it on now at Bolton. The truth is though, that Burnley played no such kind of football and neither did Bolton today. Bolton's game was based on the high ball to K Davis - as ever 'twas.

I just don't see that. The long ball to Davies is there as an option, but Bolton never fall into the trap of making that their only route to the opposition's penalty area. They play an offensively balanced 4-4-2 (I'm not sure you could find ten more teams in Europe who does that) and are sixth in the Premier League without significant investment. I'm deeply impressed.

Just watch the last half hour again. Immense. One off the line at his own end, pestered the life out of Nelsen and Samba more than the pairing with Elmander did before that.

He does the sh1tty things that people might not easily notice [not been patronising there].

His work-rate and pressure was the difference.

Big Sam thought along the same lines.

Davies is the best of his kind. Full stop.

Fair enough.

Don't think we could justify that transfer fee given his age.

No patronisation taken, I was at the game and was probably too busy watching us to notice the smaller things the opposition did

Disagree totally as certain Rovers let the side down big time.

Nelsen one, Emmerton a stinker of another, Jones another, and Diouf was simply too slow.

Dunn looked way to unfit when he came and the rest, not enough time in which they had to carry the fight so with three of the four guys above still playing ten man Bolton was an easy game in which to encounter Rovers and come out with the win.

Absolute rubbish. Your opinion has become increasingly worthless as the season progresses.

The difference could, maybe should, have been Givet. Poor defensively, especially for the first, and missed two golden chances. A goal at 0-0 with them having 10 men (his second sitter) should have led us to win, and should we have not gone too defensive, a 2/3-0 victory.

Thought Olsson was very good today, it's time he was given his chance to cement a spot down the left hand side.

EH Diouf was abysmal and Sam seems determined to fit Givet in on the pitch somewhere even though he is clearly a fish out of water at left back.

Givet is having a bad run but in the past he has proved our best option at left back. Who would you pick to play there Simon?

Archived