BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Some Thoughts On Recent Events

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The really sad point roversmum, is that a week ago we had a stable club - OK, it might not always have been pretty but Sam had the knack of winning the games that needed to be won - and now we are gambling the whole future of the club for no other reason other than Sam didn't fit the youthful, positive image that Venky's wish to project for their business. Steve Kean may well keep us in the Premier League, but I just feel it's a gamble that didn't need to be taken at this moment in time. Sam's contract was up in the summer and that's when a change should have been made if the new owners were so inclined.

The Venkys were never going to be happy with Sam's brand of football or the media coverage he attracts. That seems clear now but I wonder if it was clear during the sale negotiations. Did JW and the others involved sense any of this? Many on this board insisted that we needed the takeover to survive. As the saying goes: "Be careful what you wish for!"

As the saying goes: "Be careful what you wish for!"

Thats all that I can think about all this... We are a laughing stock (no pun intended). Frying pan and fire is another saying that springs to mind.

Lets remember if this takeover had fallen through the rumour was that the club would have taken off the market and a new means of funding devised.

To all those shrieking drama queens prophisisng inevitable relegation under the trust (despite 10 years of evidence to the contary), I say just one thing too you, are you happy now?

Thats all that I can think about all this... We are a laughing stock (no pun intended). Frying pan and fire is another saying that springs to mind.

Lets remember if this takeover had fallen through the rumour was that the club would have taken off the market and a new means of funding devised.

To all those shrieking drama queens prophisisng inevitable relegation under the trust (despite 10 years of evidence to the contary), I say just one thing too you, are you happy now?

God what a load of rubbish. No "drama queen" sold Rovers to Venkys-----------the Jack Walker Trust did and they certainly didn't do so on the basis of posts on here! So you think we would have prospered under the group which has helped to make us that laughing stock. Very logical!

And it would be a really naive soul who depended on rumours about new funding from the Trust.

!0 years of evidence to the contrary? 10 years in which the funding plummetted! We were doomed under the Trust. That's my opinion. What's fact is---it doesn't matter, THEY sold us.

Yet another scathing assessment of Venky's, this time on SSN.

Charlie Nicholas said the facts were that Kentaro/SEM produced a list of transfer targets and Sam had another list. Nicholas defended SEM as they are his friends, whilst the rest of the panel saying the actions of Venky's were just not right and they have got this horribly wrong.

Yet another scathing assessment of Venky's, this time on SSN.

Charlie Nicholas said the facts were that Kentaro/SEM produced a list of transfer targets and Sam had another list. Nicholas defended SEM as they are his friends, whilst the rest of the panel saying the actions of Venky's were just not right and they have got this horribly wrong.

I found it hard to watch.

The conflict of interest is absolutely outrageous.

All credit to Nicholas for saying that.

Puts a lot of things into context. All credit to Sam for standing up for what he believes in and the way things should be even though it cost him his job.

If Boyd and Geovanni are not Rovers players by 31 January, everybody can raise a toast to Big Sam for stopping it.

Seeing as Venkys never wantes Sam as manager in the long run are you shocked they didnt want him spending their cash and gave him a limited choice of options. If im not wrong Newcastle also gave Sam the boot before the Jan transfer window as they didnt trust him to bring in the right players especially considering some of the crap he had already bought in.

Seeing as Venkys never wantes Sam as manager in the long run are you shocked they didnt want him spending their cash and gave him a limited choice of options. If im not wrong Newcastle also gave Sam the boot before the Jan transfer window as they didnt trust him to bring in the right players especially considering some of the crap he had already bought in.

Great example! Let's all follow Mike Ashley's lead!

Would it be fair to say that Charlie Nicholas' comments throws some fuel onto suggestions that the fans have been misled (based on public comments from the owners)?

Charlie Nicholas may have links to SEM but there's nothing to say his views were actually what happened. Unless he was fairly high up in SEM then there's no reason why he wouldve been kept informed on the situation, he was probably regurtitating what he'd read in the papers like the rest of us.

That said, I think the fans have been misled by the owners, but I wouldnt take what Nicholas said as confirmation of what actually happened.

Great example! Let's all follow Mike Ashley's lead!

Well he did spend a decent sum at Newcastle and still served up some dross on the pitch so it wasnt that shocking Ashley sacked him. Some of my mates are barcode season ticket holders and they said during Sams tenure they felt the most disheartened for a long time. And that takes some doing for Newcastle fans.

I haven't seen it but I have just been told that Charlie started his comments by saying he is an SEM client and then went on to explain what really happened. The clear inference which the rest of the pannel took was that Sam was sacked because he rejected SEM's list of transfer targets.

It also came out that John Williams had been completely sidelined in these conversations.

Well he did spend a decent sum at Newcastle and still served up some dross on the pitch so it wasnt that shocking Ashley sacked him. Some of my mates are barcode season ticket holders and they said during Sams tenure they felt the most disheartened for a long time. And that takes some doing for Newcastle fans.

They'd finished 4 points from the drop zone the season previously and Sam had them in mid table safety, nine points from relegation mid season.

Did you ask them how disheartened they felt when they got relegated?

The way Nicholas said it was these were the facts which have been told to him earlier this week as he is close to the situation and has friends at SEM.

Ah, didn't know that.

Things just keep getting worse and worse don't they?

We can now add "lying to fans" to the list.

Mind you, the flip-flopping over Maradona probably falls into that catgory too.

Nicholas did not directly say there was a row etc over the transfer lists, just stated there were 2 lists, and this was a likely potential problem.

When Nicholas was saying this, Phil Thompson started shaking his head in anger and then Nicholas responded with the nose comment!

I am hoping they will sell out at a loss pretty soon, God, how this woman has run a successfull business defies all logic!!

Oh and in terms of covering their outlay, as I mentioned elsewhere, you could sell Phil Jones (and a few others) and cover that. We don't know if they've covered the loan - presumably not as that's a grey area (if they had we'd know about it - make no mistake).

That's a bit OTT mum, do you really think that Venky's would like to lose 50 Million?

The Rovers were sold too cheaply. Venkys may have 50 million spent, but between players and physical assets there is more the 50 million available to cover the investment. Heck, I think Samba, Jones and Robinson have a combined value north of 30 million alone.

Venkys have very little at risk, other than their public reputation. And there they have a ready made fall guy, Kentaro. "We received bad advice and have now corrected the situation."

All credit to Nicholas for saying that.

Puts a lot of things into context. All credit to Sam for standing up for what he believes in and the way things should be even though it cost him his job.

If Boyd and Geovanni are not Rovers players by 31 January, everybody can raise a toast to Big Sam for stopping it.

Sam is many things and has some flaws. But he is neither gutless nor weak.

I'm somewhat surprised by people practically begging Venky's to get a proper PR agency to handle their public relations. The last thing we need as fans is the wool pulling over our eyes by some slick marketing, and so far Venky's are demonstrating to us the plain fact that they don't have a bloody clue about football.

I think it's also worth noting that, as best as I've been able to tell, Venky's have NOT spent £50 million. They have spent £25 million. The rest concerns the debt. Now, I've not read a single categorical statement direct from Venky's that they have erased the debt. I've heard things along the lines of they have undertaken to service the debt, or that they have taken on the debt. Not technically the same, right? Hell, there was even a lot of confusion over whether they have paid the £25 million themselves without borrowing, possibly against us. I don't recall that ever being categorically cleared up either (though I haven't been reading as much lately). Not that it is remotely conceivable they will be fine with things failing, but I just think a few people are overestimating the degree to which they will sink if we sink.

I'm somewhat surprised by people practically begging Venky's to get a proper PR agency to handle their public relations. The last thing we need as fans is the wool pulling over our eyes by some slick marketing, and so far Venky's are demonstrating to us the plain fact that they don't have a bloody clue about football.

I think it's also worth noting that, as best as I've been able to tell, Venky's have NOT spent £50 million. They have spent £25 million. The rest concerns the debt. Now, I've not read a single categorical statement direct from Venky's that they have erased the debt. I've heard things along the lines of they have undertaken to service the debt, or that they have taken on the debt. Not technically the same, right? Hell, there was even a lot of confusion over whether they have paid the £25 million themselves without borrowing, possibly against us. I don't recall that ever being categorically cleared up either (though I haven't been reading as much lately). Not that it is remotely conceivable they will be fine with things failing, but I just think a few people are overestimating the degree to which they will sink if we sink.

I believe that may be the case.

I haven't seen it but I have just been told that Charlie started his comments by saying he is an SEM client and then went on to explain what really happened. The clear inference which the rest of the pannel took was that Sam was sacked because he rejected SEM's list of transfer targets.

It also came out that John Williams had been completely sidelined in these conversations.

What, they have not taken any advice at all from JW?

Totally embarassing, so the hard working Steve Kean with all the long hours they spoke about came from where?

PS. Did anyone see the Chuckle Brothers at the game today?

When the sacked Big Sam. on that day they were going to sign Modric at Newcastle. What a player Newcastle miss out on. Think he was going to change his style of football and newcastle! and look what happen at Newcastle then, went down.

Paul Merson, Phil Thompson and Matt Le Tisser are right for what they were saying. Do any other Football club or owner used an agency to advise them. When Ellis Short bought Sunderland, he didn't need advisers. The only people he talks to is Niall Quinn and Steve Bruce. Think the way a football club should be run. Venkys, do not seem to let John Williams and Rovers board advise them. Only Jerome Anderson and Kentaro.

The only people who should decide who the club sign is the Manager and his coaching staff and scouting staff. Do you think that the Glazer's tell SAF. I don't think so!

Also if Venkys have plans then come and talk to the fans about your plans instead of so many different inteviews being given and conflict when they say! Just do one simple interview with the LET or the rovers website. It is so simple!

It doesn't matter either way, does it? We can hardly sack them off (sadly).

The only worry would be a negative attitude on the terraces communicating itself to the players and influencing results. But from what I've read, the players have had the stuffing knocked out of them by Wenky's anyway, so what does it matter?

I say great big hairy ###### to them.

Archived