BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 2

And you're mentally deficient if you think tonight "proves" anything.

Like I said, full credit to Kean, I think in this particular match we did better than we wouldve done under Sam. It also fills me with much more hope than I had before.

But things get proven over a whole season. Remember how Hull and Burnley played some great football and beat the big teams? How did that all end again?

Fact is, the last ten seasons of PL football has PROVEN that the only three sides on small budgets to consist

Dear oh dear oh dear. I haven't said we are home and dry. I haven't said Kean is a god send. I am merely saying tonights tactics and performance reminded me of the Hughes years. So you can talk all you like about Hull etc.... I prefer to remember how things turned out under Hughes when we were truly in the mire.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because him, Big Chris Samba, hasn't got a personal update on the situation by Venky's - who are still finding their feet as new PL club owners. Harsh. Apparantly he has wanted away since the beginning of the season, and that's before Venky's. And before he was made captain...something just doesn't add up here.

Oh, and you lot are in trouble ;)

We truly are, and I have to say I'm not too shocked really, O'Neill assembled a side that he could work well with, but it's lacking a lot of elements. I agree about Venkys, I'm not having a dig, I think it's great that you are getting some money to spend, I do hope they calm down a bit though, they need to learn fast or else I suspect you'll struggle a lot in the transfer market. Hopefully not though. There is something odd about the Samba situation, but I don't think it's money driving it, I think Lerner is trying to cut the wage bill at the moment, too much wasted on useless creatures like Beye (40k per week! you can buy a fleece to warm the bench for about 3 quid, or a nice soft cushion for 5), so I doubt Samba will get the deal that he would get it's being suggested that he will.

You cant get Samba to stay if he wants out....it only harms the rest of the team, it creates a division in the camp & can spread...I can accept that - But £8m?? NO WAY!!! Venkys tell them where to stick £3m + Collins....

why should we help Villa out because we have a wantaway??

If he wants away - then a suitor has to pay the going rate - which is much more than £8m.

Dear oh dear oh dear. I haven't said we are home and dry. I haven't said Kean is a god send. I am merely saying tonights tactics and performance reminded me of the Hughes years. So you can talk all you like about Hull etc.... I prefer to remember how things turned out under Hughes when we were truly in the mire.

You said tonight proved a lot of people wrong.

So no, you didn't merely say that :lol:

Hughes signed Bellamy which was a great move and provided pace (and goals), but also inherited Tugay from Souness who provided the creativity. Two of the key members that made his early side easy on the eye.

Later on though we were universally thought of as playing unattractive football and even people on here complained about it.

Anyway, tonight hasn't proven anybody wrong, so no need to try and points score.

Hughes signed Bellamy which was a great move and provided pace (and goals), but also inherited Tugay from Souness who provided the creativity. Two of the key members that made his early side easy on the eye.

Later on though we were universally thought of as playing unattractive football and even people on here complained about it.

Anyway, tonight hasn't proven anybody wrong, so no need to try and points score.

So what was the point of your post? Excuse the pun.

Can I put forward an argument for possibly keeping the powder dry this window?

I would be happy enough with that if we kept all our existing lot (except Chimbonda, Brown) - although id still like to see a quality midfielder added in January....apart from that id be happy to wait until the summer, giving us longer to find the right quality for the right price.

He really isnt. £20mil centre backs have to be able to consistantly control the ball, pass intellignetly and not make stupid defensive lapses/lunges (red cards pens etc).

You're right, you wouldn't catch Lescott or Ferdinand making total cock ups.

Later on though we were universally thought of as playing unattractive footb

I assure you i am not trying to point score. I have a distinct problem with the way you post when your opinion differs from someone elses. I thought tonights showing was extremely Hughesesque and it yielded a well earned 3 points. Hughes and his style of play here provided all the proof i need that keeping a very average side in this division is possible whilst entertaining. You can pick me up on whatever you like, but tonight was a very good example of how that ethos can still work.

One key difference between Samba, Lescott or Rio. The latter 2 are English so add quite a few million to the price. Lescotts price was massivly inflated anyway as it were Man City doing the buying.

I agree with the defensive lapses, maybe I was being a bit harsh on Chris. However, my point on his ball control and technique stands. Apart from the occasional random forward cavalry charge style forward run he looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

Samba a 20m player? Who writes this stuff.

I can see why you're all annoyed, I don't know why he wants to come to us in the position we're in either considering it's looking positive at Rovers, think the abuse Villa are getting is pretty harsh though, for 3 years we've been a very good side, and because of one bad half season you are describing us as though we're someone whose just come up and heading for an imminent relegation...

For the record, I don't want to trade Collins for him, I rate Collins highly and he's our best centre back. I'd much rather be rid of that fat @#/? Dunne. If it happens then in Collins you have a good player who i'd be sad to see the back of.

He really isnt. £20mil centre backs have to be able to consistantly control the ball, pass intellignetly and not make stupid defensive lapses/lunges (red cards pens etc).

I don't know about that. Ferdinand and Vidic are rated as the best in the league - and 20m a piece in their heyday at least - and they are not shy of a red card and a lunge.

Samba for me is our best player -alongside Robinson, and hopefully after the fine win tonight will come round to the idea of staying at the club. We shall see. If he does go I would pitch his price at around 10m. This is a bit unfortunat because if you go back three months to when he was outstanding we would probably be able to push for fifteen. Temporary form really impacts the amount of money you can get...

Didn't Ferdinand just create a silly pen a couple of games ago? Big players for big teams generally get away with more than good players at smaller teams do.

£8m isn't close to enough. I hope the guy who got "quoted" that figure is the same who said Tottenham would sell Bentley for £4m coz that won't happen.

I don't know about that. Ferdinand and Vidic are rated as the best in the league - and 20m a piece in their heyday at least - and they are not shy of a red card and a lunge.

Samba for me is our best player -alongside Robinson, and hopefully after the fine win tonight will come round to the idea of staying at the club. We shall see. If he does go I would pitch his price at around 10m. This is a bit unfortunat because if you go back three months to when he was outstanding we would probably be able to push for fifteen. Temporary form really impacts the amount of money you can get...

Yeah, I've conceded the point about the red cards etc. But the technique issue is still valid.

Also, a player who wants to leave is only worth what other clubs are prepared to pay.

We cant afford to stick him in the reserves until the end of his contract. If he really wants to leave, keeps mentioning it in the press and Villa are the only club in for him they we will effectivly be forced to take what they offer.

I can see why you're all annoyed, I don't know why he wants to come to us in the position we're in either considering it's looking positive at Rovers, think the abuse Villa are getting is pretty harsh though, for 3 years we've been a very good side, and because of one bad half season you are describing us as though we're someone whose just come up and heading for an imminent relegation...

For the record, I don't want to trade Collins for him, I rate Collins highly and he's our best centre back. I'd much rather be rid of that fat @#/? Dunne. If it happens then in Collins you have a good player who i'd be sad to see the back of.

Me, I've watched him a lot more often over the last five seasons than you have.

Anyway I thought he was talking about improving himself? Won't be going to you then.

Enjoy the relegation battle under Gerard.

We cant afford to stick him in the reserves until the end of his contract. If he really wants to leave, keeps mentioning it in the press and Villa are the only club in for him they we will effectivly be forced to take what they offer.

Actually we stuck him in the first team tonight and he was absolutely outstanding.

Then in the position you're in you're mad. He's one of the best CB's in the league and has been consistently so for years. Villas defence look to be at an all time low and he's just what you need. But I would hope that we would get £12-15mil as that's what it will cost us to replace him with quality. And let's not forget, we are under no obligation to sell.

Didn't Ferdinand just create a silly pen a couple of games ago? Big players for big teams get away with more than good players at smaller teams do.

I was being a sarcy git.

Ferdinand has a very good disciplinary record, though he is good at climbing over walls (allegedly)

Here, here. Dunney could leave and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Collins has been our most consistent defender over the last 12 months, though again, he is prone to the odd cock up. I'd have thought Rovers are a bit reluctant to take Dunne, he hasn't covered himself in glory recently and his wages are ludicrous. Collins would be a loss in some respects, but I'd rather have Samba, although I dunno how much talking Samba does, Collins seems to do a lot of leading, I think we'd miss that. 8 mil still seems cheap to me though, you'd struggle to find a better centre back for that price.

I don't think we should even consider Dunne. Why trade a 26-year-old for a 31-year-old?

Personally, I'm not keen on any of Villa's defenders and if Samba has to go then it should be a cash deal so ROVERS can decide who his replacement will be. If that can't happen then Samba has plenty of time left on his contract and the world could look a whole lot different in the summer.

I don't think we should even consider Dunne. Why trade a 26-year-old for a 31-year-old?

Good lord no! That was pure fantasy on my part about Dunne! You'd be mad to take him! I actually really sympathise with you on this, cash would be best for you, and you don't actually need to sell him, so you shouldn't be held to ransom. I dare say you're right about things changing over the summer, though I don't think that's confined to Blackburn, I think we'll see some big changes too, hopefully for the better!

All the best for the rest of the season.

Archived