BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 4

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

So the Venky boys didn't stumble across him in their Charles Buchan annual or Rothmans Yearbook ?

You don't say !

:lol:

Jim, you really do talk rubbish.

It's a know fact that Balaji is a fan of Riquelme after getting his sticker for the Panini World Cup 2006 Album. :P

argentina-juan-roman-riquelme-181-panini-fifa-world-cup-germany-2006-football-sticker-44112-p.jpg

So the Venky boys didn't stumble across him in their Charles Buchan annual or Rothmans Yearbook ?

You don't say !

:lol:

Jim we all know you were trying to imply that this is another idea from the Rao's, and I simply corrected you by pointing out that he has in fact been offered to us by his agent Barry Mcintosh.

My reservation about Riquelme is his lack of match fitness. Since the beginning of May 2010, he has featured in just two matches from what I can gather. Allowing for the fact that he isn't fluent in English, doesn't know the Premier League and is clearly short of match fitness I would question what contribution he would make in the remaining four months or so of the season.

With Roque and Jones on six month loans, and talk of leasing Formica from Red Star Belgrade, it would appear that the strategy is a short term one at the moment. I assume that in the summer the owners and manager are going to look to the long term future of the club. We have a number of promising young players on the books but we badly need some talented players around the 25/26 years of age mark.

With just ten days or so left of the window, I'm somewhat neutral in terms of my feelings to what we have done thus far. Roque, if he can stay fit, is a welcome addition to the attack but I would have liked a deal to have already been agreed to sign him in the summer. As it is, if he scores too many goals for us in the second part of the season his fee is going to rocket to a point which might put him out of our reach.

Jones is an unknown quantity in truth. He may be very good or he may be injury prone like Grella. Hopefully it will be the former.

I can actually see some logic to the loan deals - provided a purchase fee has been agreed. People bang on about foreign players taking 6 months to adjust to the Prem. This way we bring 4-5 in, see which ones deliver/can hack it and then sign permanently in summer. If they can't cope physically they return to there club and we haven't wasted several million in transfer fees.

I see the logic in that sense. Im questioning the Formica deal more than anything because it seems pointless for all involved. Mame Diouf who was brought here with no clause in the deal to allow us to sign him permenantly(although our circumstances were much different then) has become an important player for us he will go back to United and we are worse off for it at the end of the season which is what worries me about Formica.

I hate to say this.......

but i'm w/ Mercerman... Riquelme's age and current fitness do not make this a slam dunk -- his 33 yrs. of age, the 'mileage on the chassis', & what is believed to be chronic foot/ankle problem concern me a great deal.

Another consideration (albeit a lesser one considering he doesn't speak English) are his peculiarites: a prima-donna that's been alternately isolated at every stop whether not getting along w/ the Barcelona stars to demanding preferential treatment at Villareal or running roughshod over the entire Boca Jrs. set up.

This is a guy I truly despise..... I've been waiting for nearly 20 years for a countryman to don Rovers' beautiful kit---i'm not laughing that fate has conspired to make JRR that guy. Typical, considering my 2010 has gone!!! I guess i'm in for more in 2011 :(

As much as I'm excited about the potential signing of Riquelme, I believe that this is perhaps where we need to counter balance our excitement. Blue/White obviously knows more about Argentinian football than most of us so knows more about the player and his attitude. If his attitude is wrong for Rovers the best thing for Rovers is to say no and move on, we saw what happened with Boro and Ravenelli etc in the 90s we cant afford that issue at any point in the future.

Although Ive gotta admit Im kind of excited by this window and the prospect of someone like Riquelme in Blue and White.

Finally you can't change an entire team every 6-12 months which looks to be Venkys loan plans, a good team needs time to gel this stratagy doesn't allow for that as does signing many players mid season. Theres nothing wrong with signing players on loan or signing players for that matter but there has to be balance that allows for time to change. If we sign too many players we risk having a team of individuals rather than a team fighting for the same cause on the same wavelengh, even one of the Rao's said that was important.

You can if you are a cricket fan and think that IPL is great with its auction ever year.

Found this on an Argie website - c/o google translator

Formica...

The cat will first travel to Belgrade, as the federative rights pass to the Red Star, who will transfer on loan to Blackburn English

Formica no longer wear the red and black shirt.

. Mauro Formica was on Wednesday with a foot on the plane, as confirmed by the program Zapping Sport (Radio 2) Newell's manager, Gustavo Dezzotti, missing details to close a deal that will end with the player in the Premier League, the shirt of Blackburn Rovers.

However, the passage is in Belgrade, as the player's federative rights, actually negotiated with a business group, the Red Star will be there. But this club will transfer the loan to Blackburn.

The operation would be by around 4 million euros. This does not mean that Newell's go now to transfer market to buy players who asks Roberto Sensini.

Ravanelli didn't he get a hatrick on his debut v Liverpool if i remember correctly.

Riquelme is a class footballer but i find it hard to believe he is intereested in coming to Ewood unless he's after the final pay check or is this a loan aswel?

Okay pal - next away match, let's meet for a drink and on me!

Please take this as a friendly piece of advice, because i don't want to get embroiled in more squabbles on here.

Just don't post so much. We all go through the emotions of being a Rovers fan. Some days it gets you down and you don't agree with whatever is happening. By all means vent your spleen when such an instance occurs. But if you post upwards of 10-15 times a day about how you are against X or Y then you have to expect people to brand you as a misery.

It will always result in some tit for tat verbal exchanges and somebody comes up with a ridiculous statement like yours above. Implying you are a superior fan because of proximity and the fact you go to away games won't endear you to many people.

Rovers and consequently us as fans, have been through the wilderness years of late. Its times like this we should celebrate. We might well be back on the footballing map. Will it end in tears? Your guess is as good as mine my friend. But we were on a slow train to oblivion anyway. May as well take a gamble and enjoy the ride under Venky's.

The good thing is...this is the 'marquee' and therefore DOES NOT affect any other business.

Im not sure the agent is who Valios says...iv heard it came via Philips special friend. And that was confirmed to me by the LT boys too!

The young Argie lad is on his way...its just clearly 3rd party ownership problems so his registration wont be held by us, we will just have loan papers for now. Wonder if we have some ongoing deal with Red Star from now on!? Just because he is with them, doesnt mean we havent actually paid for him, and dont own his rights in reality!

Moaning in 3,2,1.......

For what it's worth I think it could be inspired if it's thought he can play a deeper role picking out passes

It has to be a 4-2-3-1.

..................... Robbo

Salgado .. Nelsen .. Samba .. Givet

........... Jones .... Pedersen

.. M. Diouf ... Riquelme ... Hoilett

................. Santa Cruz

It's a hell of a team actually!

Catching up after having been out for a beer. It's awesome, of course, to have someone like Riquelme linked with the club but I'm not sure he's what we or even Venky's need. I think, I'd rather have Adam.

Riquelme's game has always seemed to be quite slow paced, retaining possession, slow slow quick quick kind of thing. I'm a bit dubious as to how that works in the Premiership and without players of a similar ilk around him. Further, he is not, with all respect, a global name which is going to do a lot for the Venky's brand. After 2002, maybe but that was 8 years ago.

I guess we'll wait and see on that one.

As for Chimbonda, all the best if he does move on. Goal against the dingles he can live off the back of all his career for all I care :)

You can if you are a cricket fan and think that IPL is great with its auction ever year.

Fair enough if thats a principle of the competition, this is a completely new for a top flight English football Club.

The good thing is...this is the 'marquee' and therefore DOES NOT affect any other business.

Is it?

I honestly don't think he's anywhere near a big enough name to work as a marquee. I say that as someone who is excited by his potential arrival too.

Is it?

I honestly don't think he's anywhere near a big enough name to work as a marquee. I say that as someone who is excited by his potential arrival too.

In South America...im sure he is well known. There is nothing to say he might only be a short term signing even?

Im not sure the agent is who Valios says...iv heard it came via Philips special friend. And that was confirmed to me by the LT boys too! However I also know someone else who doesnt think this deal stands a chance - no doubt we will hear more on that soon.

The young Argie lad is on his way...its just clearly 3rd party ownership problems so his registration wont be held by us, we will just have loan papers for now. Wonder if we have some ongoing deal with Red Star from now on!? Just because he is with them, doesnt mean we havent actually paid for him, and dont own his rights in reality!

I don't think the premier league will sanction the deal for Formica but suppose time will tell,heard reports he's due thurs or fri.

Im not sure the agent is who Valios says...iv heard it came via Philips special friend. And that was confirmed to me by the LT boys too!

Are you sure Hughesy? Cryer confirms on Twitter his agent is still Barry Mcintosh, and that a month ago Barry wouldn't have even considered offering Riquelme to Rovers.

Don't get why people are getting so excited. Riquelme was great but is now past it and won't stay in Northern England long.

The fact that Red Star are buying Formica and loaning him to us says it all about the way the chicken farmers have been running things so far.

I've been saying it for about two weeks. It's obvious. His excuse is "I go to games". Proof if ever I heard it. Not

There was a claret called Mercerboy (something like that) on here previously.

String him up then!! Excellent work Inspector Clouseau :rolleyes:

I too am certainly cautious about this one.

Undoubtedly one of the greatest players in the last decade, and possibly a wonderful player to have for a couple of years to control the play.

However lets not forget that we are talking about a real whinger here... a prima donna...basically a typical argie!

Maybe looking for a last pay day, or maybe looking for once last chance.

Me being negative i would say as i did about ronaldinho, last pay day...

Its very nice to be linked with these big marquee signings, but you have to look at the impact on the squad as a whole and just as equally important, whether the manager could handle him?

Kean will have his work cut out with him.. steep learning curve ahead me thinks ;)

Wasn't long ago were were getting excited about blokes like Guti. Riquelme is a big upgrade in terms of ambition and quality as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure how you can say that.

As at the same time we were offered Raul.

So, lets say we are getting JRR and Formica, as it seems, then where does this leave Dunny's future? Would he be happy being JRR's back up and then if Formica does make it, dropping even further down the pecking order?

Sorry but Duny is not up to EPL standard now. Time for him to move on.

Vazquez & Formica,these 2 are the ones we need imo

Unfortunately those deals wouldn't give the immediate PR Venky's desire. I hope we can get them done on the side, as they would really start to give us the basis of a young team to develop.

Just because he is with them, doesnt mean we havent actually paid for him, and dont own his rights in reality!

You are getting into very deep muddy waters there. If Rovers pay for a player to go to another club we would have no legal right over his registration. Therefore they could turn around at any point and take him away.

It is interesting to see some of the players Barry McIntosh represents from google. A lot linked with us in the very recent past, all from Argentina. Previous to that his PL players don't seem to have performed the best. Got to hit a good one eventually though, just hope one of these is the real deal.

Are you sure Hughesy? Cryer confirms on Twitter his agent is still Barry Mcintosh, and that a month ago Barry wouldn't have even considered offering Riquelme to Rovers.

Yep same agent...he offered him to Philips mate (dont forget he's an agency so could tout him anywhere)....who has then put the idea forward to Rovers.

Hear that this one may struggle to get off the ground anyway so wouldnt get all excited by Riquelme just yet anyway..

More in the LT tomorrow about it.

Archived