BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 4

Depends what we offer as to whether or not we could compete….offer Honda the Ronaldinho deal, it would blow everyone else out of the water and show we mean business.

The key for us is to find a potential marketing star who is willing to buy into the dream of making this club MASSIVE in other countries….its difficult to get them into buying into an idea, rather than just to sign for a club already at the top but that's what we have to try and do.

You may have just hit the nail on the head there Hughesy. That whole methodolgy as you describe could be just the thing for us to compete with the "Big Boys". And it should only be necessary for a short time scale, as if it works, we will be seen again as one of the Big Boys from a players viewpoint. I hope this is the strategy that Venkys have in mind.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Jack Straw could make a suitable representation to the powers that be with regard to a work permit for Riquelme. He's an international footballer of some repute and proven at the top level.

I'm just not convinced he's what we need. Kind of like how Veron didn't really adjust (and I'd LOVE to see him in a Rovers shirt but I accept it just wouldn't work).

That he's been "offered to us" doesn't sound like we've been after him. More like someone is trying to make a deal happen on his behalf. That's not to say we shouldn't consider a quality player on offer but with all due respect to those here who've brought the story to light, you have to at least ask the question as to why they were tipped off about it and who that benefits.

Honda, as someone suggested, might be a better signing in terms of developing the club's profile overseas.

He has absolutely no EC passport possibilities.

Neither do you, or anybody for that matter. You're showing you age Nicko - it no longer exists ;)

Seriously though, I'm certain that people at Ewood will have checked that there is a way around this and wouldn't be wasting time if there wasn't. Same true of Barry McIntosh...

You may have just hit the nail on the head there Hughesy. That whole methodolgy as you describe could be just the thing for us to compete with the "Big Boys". And it should only be necessary for a short time scale, as if it works, we will be seen again as one of the Big Boys from a players viewpoint. I hope this is the strategy that Venkys have in mind.

Signing one player doesn't make you a big boy. Signing two players doesn't make you a big boy.

Stop getting ahead of yourself.

The money in the separate pot is money that is expected to be recouped through commercial gains, so if they were going for Honda (who is just a name thrown about on here) they would not simply offer what they would have for Ronaldinho, instead they would offer the correct amount that we could definitely make back, and more. Venky's won't do something with the separate pot to send a message to other clubs. They will spend their money for financial gain in the future, and I for one am happy with that, particularly when you compare it to where we were a few months back regarding money.

agreed. exciting times if we get them all!

its how the football transfer market works.

anderson is there to do all the complex negotiating. we dont need steve kean doing any of this stuff until its gets to the stage where he needs to talk with the player in question.

Where does that leave JW?

With a highly paid, leisurely job

Yeah JW has probably gone from a highly demand Chairman to having probably the best job in the world.

He is probably interviewing some new PA assistants to help him pass his time, blondes probably.

Neither do you, or anybody for that matter. You're showing you age Nicko - it no longer exists ;)

Seriously though, I'm certain that people at Ewood will have checked that there is a way around this and wouldn't be wasting time if there wasn't. Same true of Barry McIntosh...

I was talking about qualifying by having a 'European' background - he doesn't, he never tried to.

Real doubts about where this story has come from.

Said this previously, Harry Harris has been pretty accurate on his reporting regarding Rovers since Venky's etc have been involved.

Blackburn Rovers will not be signing Boca Juniors midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme, ESPNsoccernet sources have revealed, but they are closing in on Birmingham City's Sebastian Larsson.

At a guess he has good contacts close to the club now (know his articles are similar to the ones that have been in the Mirror however Harris has been fairly committal on certain subjects).

Until I hear Steve Kean come out and admit there is some sort of interest in Riquelme, I shall remain sceptical. There seems to be so many people behind the scenes at the club who say they are in charge. It's probably a good shout that his agent and Jerome Anderson are working on this off their own backs and again, it could just be a PR thing.

It has again, been leaked well ahead of it's completion which always makes me wary.

On a playing level, I agree with most on here, he would be a waste of our time and efforts. You couldn't justify playing him in a team full of young, quick and atheltic attackers. People have been saying that EHD no longer fits into our style of play as he slows us up, would the same not be said of Riquelme ?

You couldn't play him in a central midfield role either, he wouldn't have the legs for that, so you'd have to play him off of the striker, or in a midfield 3, which in either case, means sacrificing a striker. Not for me.

Wheater joins Bolton for £2.3 million (possibly rising to £3.8 million).

Hell of a signing for Bolton at that price. I bet he's worth at least double that by the summer.

Agreed, a threat up front from set pieces as well.

Only problem for Bolton though, is adding this to the £96 Million they owe, when is the cull? Including Salamder et all?

Surely Riquelme would get a work permit, if by appeal if necessary.

That said, it's interesting that the Harris chap is confident it won't happen - he does seem to be one of the more clued-up reporters out there about Rovers, since the Venky's era started...

Oh come on Nicko, there is no doubt Riquelme would get a work permit on appeal. Friedel and Tugay both got rejected initially when reapplying before signing for Rovers, but both won an appeal.

As did Nelsen, but I think some of the regulations changed shortly after. Cant recall what though!

Archived