BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - The Aftermath

So there you have it the end of a crazy transfer window.

What of Rovers at the end of this window. Lets cast our minds back to 1st January 2011 shall we, there were rumours that players wanted to leave, with Christopher Samba in particular coming out and criticising the way the club was being run, this coupled with a great deal of uncertainty regarding the new regime/Steve Kean had many fans (myself included) casting huge doubt on what could be achieved during the window.

The 30 days since have been some of the most entertaining in the recent history of the club. BRFCS constantly going down as Nicko’s 11’O Clocker’s took on almost legendary status. The month has seen Rovers strongly linked with sensational moves for Ronaldinho, Beckham and Riquelme but to name a few, which have rightly or wrongly raised the profile of the club. At the end of the month, Rovers have managed to hang onto prize assets such as Chris Samba, Paul Robinson and Phil Jones. Indeed there is talk from manager Steve Kean that these players will be offered improved deals. We have seen Ryan Nelsen, Michel Salgado and Jason Roberts sign new contracts in the last week. In addition to this Roque Santa Cruz and Jermaine Jones have arrived on loan until the end of the season. Finally, yesterday saw Rovers in action on transfer deadline day as they signed Barcelona youngster Rubens Rochina and Argentinean starlet Mauro Formica.

That represents a very good transfer window for Rovers, in recent years Rovers fans have not been accustomed to transfer activity on the scale that we have seen this month. Of course there are still questions to answer about the direction that the club is heading (The Venky’s Vision needs to be explained), the roles/future of key figures such as John Williams be clarified and the transfer window has shown that the new owners clearly need to take a “crash course” in PR and learn how to deal with the British Media, but is also right to give the new owners and their advisors credit for spending money during the window. The exact amount that has been spent is hard to determine but it is clear that money has been spent.

As this is the topic of the week it is also prudent to look at the concept of the transfer window. Are you in favour of the system or do you believe that it is ruining football. The system has it’s pro’s and cons. The positives are that outside of the transfer window club’s know that players are going to remain with them, therefore it aids planning. Under the old system you used to get fevered speculation all year round which often unsettled players. It allows club’s to concentrate on field matters outside of the window. The negatives are that it has led to panic buying, inflated transfer fees and club’s using the transfer window to make decisions on whether a manager will remain in the job or not.

Deadline day like it or loathe has in recent years become a major event raises the profile of the game, this was examplified yesterday as Sky Sports News had wall to wall coverage of all the breaking stories, the BBC website had a transfer window update page and twitter went into meltdown. For many fans all of this made for compulsive viewing/reading.

So what do you think? Good window for Rovers? or are the club still on a slippery slope? Can the current transfer window system be sustained? or is it time for change?

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great window for Rovers in my opinion. I feel excited after the first transfer window for ages. It seems we are going in the right direction and our little army of youngsters are looking very very good.

It seems to me that Steve Kean is doing business the right way. Sorting out current players deals, looking for new talent, bleeding in the youth already at the club and he didn't take long to get rid of Diouf.

Well done to all concerned.

I'm with linganzi on this one. Blackpool had every right to make the decisions it made. What torques me, and I imagine Adam, is that Holloway allegedly told him that they would not stand in his way if the Big 4 or Liverpool came knocking. Guess what? Liverpool came knocking. But rather than negotiate an objectively reasonable price, they proceeded to demand 14 million, which in my opinion unreasonable and tantamount to barring his exit as it would prevent any rational bidder from buying him. Adam has every right to be upset if his alleged mentor, Holloway, has apparently royally messed him over.

Nonsense; "any rational bidder?" You mean the club who spent close to £40m for Andy Carroll? Why on earth should Blackpool roll over and take four times less, for somebody who is actually a footballer. Their PL status is on the line, and Blackpool have been disrespected throughout the process. Good on them for standing up for themselves.

Heck, Holloway could have sold for 9 million, spent three on Kranjcar, and been ahead of the game, in my opinion.

And all of this talk of loyalty seems to be one-sided. Loyalty is a two way street. If Blackpool weren't going to sell absent a ridiculouos price, they should have told Adam that straight up, as opposed to saying one thing and then doing something completely different when the offer materialized.

Again, nonsense. Blackpool have a wage cap of £10,000 per week. Kranjcar? He's on close to £60,000. Again, Blackpool haven't asked a ridiculous price when you see what other players have gone for in the window. If you'd have watched Adam enough times, you'd know this.

Loads better than what's gone before and given the stupid inflated prices we've done some good business. I'm especially pleased that EHD has gone, hated seeing him in a Rovers shirt. On a side note, can people stop quoting the troll - it makes the ignore function useless.

Very excited by the signings of Formica and Rochina - think they'll give the team more pace and creativity which is really needed if we're changing our style of football... Just hope they can get to cope with the physical side of the Premiership sooner rather than later...

Just wondered if anyone's heard any more regarding Karim Ait-Fana? Did we make a bid in the end or was it just a rumour??

Bah, Majiball beat me to it.... sorry!

I'm just being greedly to think that this deal may have slipped in late and has not yet been annouced due to some delay somewhere... Wishful thinking I know! Still, very happy with the business that has been completed!

Best window in memory. As good as it could have been as we addressed defensive midfield, attacking midfield and added some proven quality and potential quality up top. Through it we also shifted out wages for two high-earners who had clearly not been in the frame for the starting line up in recent times. Although Dioufy always gave his all for us and was possibly the most adept player in the squad in winning fouls, buying time, and keeping the ball under pressure, his lack of pace + possible support for Big Sam would have counted against him in our new playing model. He was without doubt a big match player.

I would have been happy to have him around, but I dont think he would've made many of our starting line-ups between now and the end of the season. The mood seems happy in the squad too, and hopefully with Samba signing a new contract which will see him stay here past the end of the season, all will be good. Otherwise, no point in signing a new and improved contract when his runs till 2015.

Well I'm quite excited about the window, don't remember one with so much Rovers activity.

I don't know if that is unfounded excitement, because to be honest before a couple of weeks ago I'd never even heard of Rochina or Formica (I have now at least stopped merging them into one player). But the addition of Jones is a good one I think, and Roque so long as he stays fit is probably our best player.

Better than it getting to 11pm and we've managed to sneak in Benjani or sommat!

Upon reflection I'd say it's been a productive window.

Four new arrivals,two high-earners out.

I'd also say that all that baloney about the £5 mil including fees AND wages has been disproved.

Still expecting some negativity from the miserabilists however when they belatedly arrive....

I suspect that we won't know how successful this window has been until next season. Both Rochina and Formica will take time to settle into English football and an English lifestyle but, hopefully, should add quality to our squad in the long term. I would be quite happy to seem them introduced gradually over the next few months so they are ready for the start of next season.

In the short term, both Jones and Roque are quality additions to the squad. If Roque can stay fit - and it's a big if - he should score goals and create chances for others. If both do well it will be interesting to see if we have the finance to buy them. I would think Jones should be within our budget but if Roque is a success I wonder if City will drop the asking price to a figure we can meet.

I'm highly delighted that Nelsen and Salgado have been given new deals but surprised that Roberts has been given an extended deal. Hopefully, Robinson and Samba will sign new contracts in the near future.

Finally, I'm sad to see Diouf leave as I felt he was playing some of the best football of his career this season. He has been one of our most consistent performers this campaign and hopefully will continue to do will with Rangers.

I think there is no doubt that we have finished the window in a stronger position than we started and I'm very pleased that instead of spending money on ageing so called 'superstars' that we have opted to bring in younger players like Rochina and Formica.

Rochina never heard of him

Formica never heard of him

Jones never heard of him

Santa, he's injured already right?

Dispite this I am just glad we are doing something positive in the market and hope that Kean's got it right.

I'd give it a good 7 out of 10 and fingers crossed the new guys are good.

Infact I'll up it to a 8 out of 10 for the fact we didn't get ripped off with any overpriced British players.

The 30 days since have been some of the most entertaining in the recent history of the club. BRFCS constantly going down as Nickos 11O Clockers took on almost legendary status. The month has seen Rovers strongly linked with sensational moves for Ronaldinho, Beckham and Riquelme but to name a few, which have rightly or wrongly raised the profile of the club. At the end of the month, Rovers have managed to hang onto prize assets such as Chris Samba, Paul Robinson and Phil Jones. Indeed there is talk from manager Steve Kean that these players will be offered improved deals. We have seen Ryan Nelson, Michel Salgado and Jason Roberts sign new contracts in the last week. In addition to this Roque Santa Cruz and Jermaine Jones have arrived on loan until the end of the season. Finally, yesterday saw Rovers in action on transfer deadline day as they signed Barcelona youngster Rubens Rochina and Argentinean starlet Mauro Formica.

It's NelsEn.

Good article otherwise (not that I agree with all of it of course :P )

I'm not usually a pedantic sod Chris, it's just when I see it spelt "Nelson" it reminds me of the bad reporting we get when reporters spell Gamst's name "Pederson" or they call Niko "Klasnic"....

Just found it funny our very own news bunny many the same mistake (although I'm sure it was only a typo :P

P.S. Top left, standing at the topr corner of the first table with the shoes on

Archived