BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - The Aftermath

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In short, it was absolutely nothing like the doomsayers had been predicting.

Exactly. They can spin it however they want and question the acquisitions, but they have to admit that they weren't expecting this. After all they keep claiming that we were expecting far more and we should admit that. I'll point out that I had no expectations in this transfer window but I did believe that we would have more money than we did under the trust and would at least be able to sign players, even if we had to wait until Summer.

Best transfer windows since the days of Hughes when the Trust were still backing us.

Also a good window for what didn't happen

- we didn't sign Geovanni and Boyd (I always suspected Kentaro's list might have had more than 2 names on it)

- we didn't sign other Kentaro out of work rubbish

- The "mutineers" apparently not only wilted but signed up for life

- We didn't spend the window "closing in on a mystery striker"

- We didn't just stick to the ex-manager's list and signed young talent from two major clubs

Good points, looking back I know people say "egg on the face blah blah" but the cr@p people were coming out with and claiming it was FACT played on peoples nerves.

That Geovanni and Boyd was the most stupid rumour, whoever was presenting that on here as fact should be shot.

Best transfer windows since the days of Hughes when the Trust were still backing us.

- we didn't sign Geovanni and Boyd (I always suspected Kentaro's list might have had more than 2 names on it)

- We didn't just stick to the ex-manager's list and signed young talent from two major clubs

You do realise the doomsgayers who claim they're in the know will still act as if big things aint right at the club. I fear we haven't heard even close to the last from a lot of people. While they may be right...be nice for them to show some evidence for once.

The whole transfer window simply amplifies panic and creates hugely inflated markets that actually do not benefit anyone. Viz top tips had it right when they said pretend you have a transfer window in your works canteen by buying a pot noodle for twenty quid just before it closes.

Sure if you've had all weekend to prepare a packed lunch and then left it at home.

The transfer window amplifies panic in those clubs that haven't sufficiently planned for it. The selling clubs can smell this fear - case in point, Carroll going for £35m as Newcastle knew Liverpool had £50m to play with.

We handled the transfer window perfectly in my opinion. The two permanent transfers were in hand well before the final day with just formalities to conclude. That's a result of Rovers having a plan and sticking with it.

Why am I annoyed that you're annoyed about the papers mentioning "credit crunch" and "recession" The football world's gone mad. Players getting 50,000 pounds A WEEK and nobody bats an eyelid. Players being transferred for 5 million, 20 million, fifty million ... I don't know about you Le CHuck. Maybe you've got a good job. Things are going OK for you but there are many people out there who are seriously struggling. Probably many people who've given up on watching football because they're sick of seeing players and agents getting greedier. Seems to me the Premier League is like our house prices over the last ten years. Everyone can see that it just doesn't make sense but we just keep on buying and selling till it becomes unsustainable. The transfer window hasn't helped the situation in my opinion.

Rant over, nothing personal. Maybe I'm the only one on this board who can't get his head round it.

No, you're not. In conversation with non-football fans, I frequently use the word "obscene" about players' wages and transfer fees. [Oh, yeah; and in the last week or so, also about Andy Grey's annual salary from Sky.]

However, isn't this the dichotomy of being a football fan, specially of a Premier League team? Our team's players get paid more in a week of this Age of Austerity than many of us receive annually. We tolerate that to an extent because we want to see our team remain in that Premier League.

Btw; re: 'Arry's remarks about signing Adam. Just because a football manager [any football manager] says something, doesn't mean of itself that he's telling the unvarnished truth. Before our moderators get worried, I'm not saying 'Arry isn't telling the unvarnished truth; just saying it doesn't automatically follow that he is. I reckon that if 'Arry hadn't become a football manager, he could have had a good career as a spin doctor! ;)

Also; there doesn't seem to be anything yet on the Rovers' website about squad numbers for the two new lads; but I notice that, in the photo of Formica & Kean on the website, Formica's wearing a club sweater numbered 17. And we all know who wears that shirt number, don't we?! ;)

Why are both the BBC and SSN reporting that both Formica and Rochina are loan deals??

Real bad journalism on their part...

The sun has us loaning Marcus Bent to Sheffield United.......

Good on Blackpool for resisting. That took guts as it could turn out badly for them if they get next to nothing in the summer and can't strengthen for that all-important 2nd season.

3rded on this - but if I was Holloway I would rather take the risk of staying up with Adam first and see what the summer brings rather than not, as they will be in a far better bargaining position if they do stay up either for Adam or attracting prospective signings.

Adam is their talisman and a good one at that - in terms of midfielders I would not have had any qualms about us spending £10 million on him in today's prices - very undervalued imo.

As for Torres - looks like he might have joined Chelski at the wrong time imo - superb deal for Liverpool, but as most on here have stated, the price they have paid for Carroll is beyond belief.

Back to us - as some have already touched upon, its not so much of 'who' we have purchased but more of strengthening the obvious that we have been crying out for.

Not into the buying for the future either - we need the players now so let Rochina & Formica of the leash to show us what they can do.

No, you're not. In conversation with non-football fans, I frequently use the word "obscene" about players' wages and transfer fees. [Oh, yeah; and in the last week or so, also about Andy Grey's annual salary from Sky.]

However, isn't this the dichotomy of being a football fan, specially of a Premier League team? Our team's players get paid more in a week of this Age of Austerity than many of us receive annually. We tolerate that to an extent because we want to see our team remain in that Premier League.

Btw; re: 'Arry's remarks about signing Adam. Just because a football manager [any football manager] says something, doesn't mean of itself that he's telling the unvarnished truth. Before our moderators get worried, I'm not saying 'Arry isn't telling the unvarnished truth; just saying it doesn't automatically follow that he is. I reckon that if 'Arry hadn't become a football manager, he could have had a good career as a spin doctor! ;)

Also; there doesn't seem to be anything yet on the Rovers' website about squad numbers for the two new lads; but I notice that, in the photo of Formica & Kean on the website, Formica's wearing a club sweater numbered 17. And we all know who wears that shirt number, don't we?! ;)

Pretty sure we need Andrews for the over 21 home grown rule.

Back to us - as some have already touched upon, its not so much of 'who' we have purchased but more of strengthening the obvious that we have been crying out for.

Not into the buying for the future either - we need the players now so let Rochina & Formica of the leash to show us what they can do.

I disagree on the "buying for the future" bit. For Rovers it is the only way to go - as we can't afford £50m for Torres or £35m for Carroll - but it looks like we can now buy young players who one day may turn into the next Torres or Carroll. IMO they have got it right - brought in two experienced players on loan who will stablise the club (if they can stay fit) and give hopefully give us time to bed in the younger players.

Oh, don't worry. The Allardyce Apologisers and general suicidists will spend the rest of the season putting a negative spin on everything Rovers/Kean/Venky's related to suit their own agendas. The people "in the know" will still bleat about non-existent player revolutions. Some people are really having great difficulty moving on and accepting the old order has gone and we're now a different club in many ways. Kind of ironic that the chief moaners now are the same posters who were the first to jump down anyone's throats who dare to suggest anything negative about the previous regime.

Time to move on people - I for one am about as optimistic for Rovers future as I have been in years, and for the first time in several seasons going to Ewood actually feels like something to look forward to, not to search for justifiable excuses to avoid.

Fantastic window for us.

The bit I like most is the fact that Steve Kean came out and said he wanted Formica and that he was a fantastic player, then Venkys and the board have went and got him. Great support for the manager.

I'm warming to Venkys and Kean.

Is this squad able to make a run at a european spot?

The bit I like most is the fact that Steve Kean came out and said he wanted Formica and that he was a fantastic player, then Venkys and the board have went and got him. Great support for the manager.

And you know this was the order of the events how? :)

The bit I hate the most is the fact that we kept on publishing our interest in players in public.

Nevertheless, in paper the window seems like a big success. Hopefully Formica can deliver.

And you know this was the order of the events how? :)

Exactly, I think someone else who shall remain nameless for legal reasons was making the suggestions. Nowt wrong with that neccesarily as they may have better form that Kean in the transfer market (not hard given SK's zero experience).

Let's just hope Formica is as good as Elano was eh ;)

Transfer window – keep it, all clubs have equal rules, they all know the deadlines and it allows clubs to get abit of stability, and also stops certain clubs just from going out and buying a new player every time they have a few bad results or need to surive/ challenge more for something. Imagine City in an open window….5 bad results and they would go out and buy a new defender or striker. It would be crazy!

As for the window….what where people asking for prior to the window? A new Tugay, a new Savage, a Striker, and some were saying left back, although most agreed it wasn’t the priority area.

What did we get….

Attacking Mid – Formica, highly rated attacking midfielder from Argentina - £3m fee + 3 ½ year contract

Defensive Mid – J Jones on loan – paying big week wages

Striker 1 – RSC on loan – no doubt about his quality, just his injury record - £90k a week

Striker 2 – Rochina – Barca youth product so highly rated, £500k fee + 4 ½ year contract.

People wanted Adam, but it was clear he wasn’t for sale, and it’s also clear that had we pursued it then it would cost us anything north of £10m….WAY too expensive when you think what that would get your abroad.

Key dates for future rebuilding of the empire.....

Out of contract in 6 months time (2011):

Brown, Kishanishvilli, Rigters

Out of contract in 18 months time (2012):

Diouf, Roberts, Salgado, Grella, Dunn, Emerton – Must be £200k a week in there

Steve Kean 22nd Jan http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6685376,00.html

"He is a fantastic talent, attacking player - a little bit like a young Batistuta"

He has great technical ability, a typical Argentinian with a bit of fight and devilment in him.

"This guy can score goals and play last passes and create a goal out of nothing."

Sounds like he wants him!

Formica signs

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_6715179,00.html

Out of contract in 18 months time (2012):

Diouf, Roberts, Salgado, Grella, Dunn, Emerton – Must be £200k a week in there

Yikes! Its 155k on FM.

People wanted Adam, but it was clear he wasn’t for sale, and it’s also clear that had we pursued it then it would cost us anything north of £10m….WAY too expensive when you think what that would get your abroad.

Spurs had a £6.7m bid accepted last night, only the slowness of the fax machine stopped it going through. Liverpool p'eed Blackpool off coupled with the £50m kitty they just had was why they quoted the such crazy prices.

Adam will leave in the summer and UNLESS a bidding war starts he'll go for less than £10m.

Kean suggests Diouf's move is temporary...

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~2282047,00.html

"But he'll be back with us in pre-season and hoepfully be involved again and we'll be delighted to have him back."

Surely for that statement to be true Hoilett woul have to be a failure from now on...

Archived