BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle home

philipl

Chelsea play a diamond and they don't get exposed like we do?

They've got world class players and tend to be on the front foot for most of the game.

Plus haven't they only started playing the diamond system again recently (i.e. when their form has dipped)? Before that they've been playing with Drogba centrally, Anelka right and either Malouda or Kalou on the left.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cant have two strikers and have hoilett roaming as well, thats bloody suicide and schoolboy stuff, you then are left with a three man midfield, now that is asking for bloody trouble!!

And a quick right back bombing on as well, god who is defending, no sensible coach would set that up!

That's not what I said though. Pace to recover and stop players Just knocking the ball past for fun and ghoasting past not to bomb on. You say we can't have two strikers and hoilett roaming? This is happening in every game in front of your eyes. Its not my gameplan so you'd be better emailing ewood and tell them its suicide and schoolboy tactics. The goals conceeded at wigan were the trouble we asked for. Its going to happen the way we are setting up. I just think we'll be better off with a quick full back that can match wingers with pace. I prefer personally to be hard to beat and disciplined as sam set us up but its not for everyone.

That's not what I said though. Pace to recover and stop players Just knocking the ball past for fun and ghoasting past not to bomb on. You say we can't have two strikers and hoilett roaming? This is happening in every game in front of your eyes. Its not my gameplan so you'd be better emailing ewood and tell them its suicide and schoolboy tactics. The goals conceeded at wigan were the trouble we asked for. Its going to happen the way we are setting up. I just think we'll be better off with a quick full back that can match wingers with pace. I prefer personally to be hard to beat and disciplined as sam set us up but its not for everyone.

Exactly, so why doesnt the manager see it?

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes though kelbo. Emerton might hate playing rb and kean wants to keep the peace. Venkys might want an ex real madrid player involved heavily to help the clubs reputation. I'm sure a new right back is on the shopping list but quite rightly in my opinion we strengthened midfield and upfront as the priority last month. We can only guess really and debate our opinions. Kean might not see it but I really really hope its something else.

Isn't the bottom line to all this that Salgado doesn't have enought pace for the RB position in this league, no matter who is in front of him? Granted, no-one in front of him is daft, but he got caught out enough times when Diouf, Emo and anyone else was there, plus hardly ever supports them on the overlap.

Isn't the bottom line to all this that Salgado doesn't have enought pace for the RB position in this league, no matter who is in front of him? Granted, no-one in front of him is daft, but he got caught out enough times when Diouf, Emo and anyone else was there, plus hardly ever supports them on the overlap.

There may be a good thought on this point, Wigan got two goals from the left hand side of our defence, is Olsson too slow?

I dont care how quick you are, if you dont have cover you are done for, one final point, one of the slowest players to play Prem league football was Bobby Moore, yet he was always first to the ball, he out thought them, speed of thought, but and its a big but,

he always had cover and support, basic rule of coaching at every level is pressure AND Support, support when with the ball and when without the ball.

There may be a good thought on this point, Wigan got two goals from the left hand side of our defence, is Olsson too slow?

I dont care how quick you are, if you dont have cover you are done for, one final point, one of the slowest players to play Prem league football was Bobby Moore, yet he was always first to the ball, he out thought them, speed of thought, but and its a big but,

he always had cover and support, basic rule of coaching at every level is pressure AND Support, support when with the ball and when without the ball.

I see your point. If we had the right set up Dave Whelan could still play RB.

He wasn't before he was left completely exposed on the right hand side. Would you not agree that before Kean tried his daft diamond, Salgado was never even mentioned as a weak link this season?

Salgado was one of our outstanding performers before December so his problems since then are the result of the manager's new formation plus his decision to release Diouf, the most intelligent player on our books who always worked well down the flanks with Salgado. The lop-sided line-up against Newcastle defied all commonsense and left Salgado in particular exposed so it's no wonder he struggled. I do not understand the manager's thinking and how he imagined it would work. Newcastle should have thumped us and considering the way we played it was a case of point gained rather than two lost. I notice Newcastle had a very comfortable win at Birmingham tonight which they will probably consider makes up for their failure to win at Ewood.

Salgado was one of our outstanding performers before December so his problems since then are the result of the manager's new formation plus his decision to release Diouf, the most intelligent player on our books who always worked well down the flanks with Salgado. The lop-sided line-up against Newcastle defied all commonsense and left Salgado in particular exposed so it's no wonder he struggled. I do not understand the manager's thinking and how he imagined it would work. Newcastle should have thumped us and considering the way we played it was a case of point gained rather than two lost. I notice Newcastle had a very comfortable win at Birmingham tonight which they will probably consider makes up for their failure to win at Ewood.

Totally agree with everything you say Jim.

• Backroom

I think we were lucky on Saturday that Newcastle didn't have a real striker on the pitch.

Salgado needs to be offered some protection as now every team are targetting him.

Your being daft mate. A pattern of play. Ie sucking in our right midfielder, a quick switch and Salgado is exposed. Do you honestly think we set up to play with nobody on the right? Anyone can find a little chart on the net and use it to prove any point they wish. Do you understand why it happened? Why it appears we had nobody on the right?

Because Newcastle set up to make it so. Because they rehearsed patterns of play to make it happen. Because they knew as does every opposition manager in the league that if you can get him one on one you'll get some joy.

People have mentioned he's been solid apart from a couple of games. In the last few weeks alone he's been done by Lennon, Thomas, Nzogbia, and Newcastle.

How odd that no other club managed to expose him so when we had a proper manager mate.

You should read Jason Wilcox in the LT tonight.

Most likely too busy thinking.

Stephen Keans is probably thinking, i'm not cut out out for this.

Lose at Villa, and its time for a new manager and second coach.

Just how on earth Kean was appointed in the first place at a club like Blackburn Rovers with a past record that splitscreen67 posted, beggers belief and defies any kind of logic.

Your being daft mate. A pattern of play. Ie sucking in our right midfielder, a quick switch and Salgado is exposed. Do you honestly think we set up to play with nobody on the right? Anyone can find a little chart on the net and use it to prove any point they wish. Do you understand why it happened? Why it appears we had nobody on the right?

Because Newcastle set up to make it so. Because they rehearsed patterns of play to make it happen. Because they knew as does every opposition manager in the league that if you can get him one on one you'll get some joy.

People have mentioned he's been solid apart from a couple of games. In the last few weeks alone he's been done by Lennon, Thomas, Nzogbia, and Newcastle.

So can you explain how this has happened so suddenly?

Its nothing to do with players being 'sucked in.' Its to do with us having absolutely no right sided midfielder. On the field on Saturday, Hoilett was on the left hand side, Nzonzi in defensive mid, Dunny in behind the strikers, and allegedly Jones on the right hand side.

How on earth is it going to work when our right midfielder is a natural born central midfield stopper.

Salgado was left completely exposed for nearly all of the game. Kean got his formation (and tactics) completely wrong, and then unbelievably failed to remedy the situation until the 75th minute when Emerton came on.

Do you seriously think that since Allardyce left and things have changed, that Salgado has mysteriously lost all talent as a right back?

Your being daft mate :blink:

Jimmy612. No I don't belive for a minute that he has suddenly lost all talent at all. You say yourself the tactics are leaving him exposed. I agree and have said as much. My point is that it is happening every week and he can't deal with players one on one fact. Why not play emerton at right back who has a chance when one on one? Its amazing that everybody says he looked solid with diouf in front of him. Diouf protected him at the expense of pushing forward. That's not the way right or wrong that kean is setting us up down that flank. That protection isn't there for him anymore. And ok your all right. Kean said I don't want anyone down the right today. I want to leave salgado exposed two on one at all times and it had nothing to do with newcastle setting out to attack salgado as often as possible. Do you think its a coincidence that he's getting murdered at the minute? With the current tactics he is our weak link. And because jones normally plays in the centre he just drifted there like a homing pigeon without being sucked in to purposely isolate salgado? I said weeks ago that teams were targeting him and nobody agreed.

Jimmy612. No I don't belive for a minute that he has suddenly lost all talent at all. You say yourself the tactics are leaving him exposed. I agree and have said as much. My point is that it is happening every week and he can't deal with players one on one fact. Why not play emerton at right back who has a chance when one on one? Its amazing that everybody says he looked solid with diouf in front of him. Diouf protected him at the expense of pushing forward. That's not the way right or wrong that kean is setting us up down that flank. That protection isn't there for him anymore. And ok your all right. Kean said I don't want anyone down the right today. I want to leave salgado exposed two on one at all times and it had nothing to do with newcastle setting out to attack salgado as often as possible. Do you think its a coincidence that he's getting murdered at the minute? With the current tactics he is our weak link. And because jones normally plays in the centre he just drifted there like a homing pigeon without being sucked in to purposely isolate salgado? I said weeks ago that teams were targeting him and nobody agreed.

I do hope you watched Barca tonight Andy, always 2 on Walcott, one on and one off and even for Arsenal Fabrigas dropping into full back, I dont like telling people they are misguided but if you firmly believe we can play with the shape we are playing and without cover for the defence, Steve Kean is looking for a couple of coaches!

I watched Barca tonight and hardly ever did I see no cover for the defence, despite movement all over the park, if Walcott got the ball, he couldnt get down the line, had to come inside or play it back, he was subbed in the end, even for Arsenal we saw Fabrigas dropping into a full back role to cover, we dont do that and if it has to be done with the best footballing teams in the world, Rovers simply have to do it, Kean cant go Kamakazi each week, despite what the owners may tell him to do, football is a team game, pressure and support in both attack and defence and both teams showed that tonight, though despite the result, Barca had the better quality.

Archived