BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle home

philipl

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chickens are coming home to roost over our clueless owners, their disgraceful treatment of Sam and their daft decision to appoint Kean - pun intended. Rovers should have been on the receiving end of a sound beating today but Newcastle are so inept they could not take advantage. I have never seen such a disorganised and lifeless rabble since Jim Iley's stewardship back in the 1970s. Even Ince's teams were better than that lot on show today. Our survival this season is still very much on a knife edge.

The chickens are coming home to roost over our clueless owners, their disgraceful treatment of Sam and their daft decision to appoint Kean - pun intended. Rovers should have been on the receiving end of a sound beating today but Newcastle are so inept they could not take advantage. I have never seen such a disorganised and lifeless rabble since Jim Iley's stewardship back in the 1970s. Even Ince's teams were better than that lot on show today. Our survival this season is still very much on a knife edge.

But we weren't on the end of a sound beating.

Newcastle are so inept they only put 4 past Arsenal last week.

Not a good display today - granted,

But why does the glass always have to be half empty?

Great to get the point today, dissapointed we didn't get all three but that is football. Look forward to seeing what Kean can do once some of the crap is shown the door next transfer window.

Still can't believe people are still talking about Sam Allardyce, from what I have seen so far since Kean took over is generally better football played with similar expected results.

Good stuff IMO

This is not intended as a dig at Kean but I hope this is not the way we are going, the games I have seen I have been generally more pleased than what I have seen under Sam. Today however was totally embarassing, I have not seen a more disjointed inept performance for some time, no bite no flair no ambition no creative spark. I really hope this was just a flash in the pan. Very very lucky not to have been on the end of a hammering today.

Oh and I am with Gordon I thought the ref stunk, funny though the commentators here thought he had a great game but then again they had only negative comments and general run us down statements anyway.

You can say you were pleased or not pleased - however I am pretty sure with the ability to buy better players, San would have got results. Sasly this season when its tighter than ever we are left with Kentaro Kean, Jensen and Bucky.

Except for the inclusion of Dunn that was pretty much the side (not formation) I would of put out there today... but simply put the players did not perform.

Don't get the Salgado bashing though, I thought he did well considering he had no cover what so ever.. imo the most important position on the pitch against a strong Newcaslte midfield was defensive midfield, and Nzonzi had a complete shocker of a game.

Olsson really looks out of position as a left back, we ended up with just him covering the who of the left.

Samba is on one of those wonderful runs he has producing nothing.. can't help but feel he is gutted that no 'Big' club came in for him during the winter transfer window.

Dunn isnt a natural athlete and he is really showing the wear and tear this season, I don't get why he started.

Roberts yet again proved how ineffective he is.

Formation was awful right players in the wrong positions, JJ should of played alongside Nzonzi in defensive midfield or at the very least swapped with him when it became obvious he was having one of those games. I dont get why we played such a narrow midfield against a team that has very good wide players.

Not really into Kean bashing as wanted too give him a chance, but this is the second game in a row where tactics cost us.. pretty much everyone knows Newcastles strengths (just looking at the posts here highlight it does not take a genius too see their strength is midfield and the flanks) so why oh why did we go with a formation that played into their hands.

A diamond formation is fine, against the right opposition with the right players too make it work.. with injuries we didnt have the right players and that was not the right oppositon.

Role on getting formica and Rochina fighting fit for the next game and the return of Givet and Jones will be key.

I guess we will have too look for positives.. we got a point, the manager will be more aware than ever that we need a new left back, we kept a clean sheet and we are another week closer too getting some key players fit (Jones, Givet and Formica)....

One of the most inept performances from us I've seen. For me its more important how we do in a home game against a bottom half team than an away game against the title contenders. How we got a point from yesterday I dont know. What worries me most is Kean standing on the sidelines looking like a rabbit with headlights closing down on him just like Ince was a few years ago. So slow to react and I'd argue has failed to instill a change in strategy/performance within any of the games till date.

He has absolutely no excuses either. He has had time with them and will have another 2 weeks now. He's bought his OWN players, gotten his own assistant. We've not done that well from the "easy" run we had and have some tough games coming up. MUST TURN THINGS AROUND.

But I am glad some people are enjoying the attacking football on display.

Bobby I dont think anyone has said the game yesterday was anything other than dire. Kean has had a dozen games and we have been the good, bad and ugly! He has six weeks to work with the players now with few games in between, no excuses after that.

Kean needs to try and play a settled team, with a standard formation that the players understand. He plays one forward pairing one game, another the next, one midfield group one game, and aother the next. Footballers are simple beings...

Once Junior keft the pitch at half time we had no pace and we played all our 'football' in front of their back four.

As Kamy said, it was only when we went to a 442 that we looked anything like a team.

The mantra for the next few games must be: keep it simple, work hard, defend well and take your chances.

Otherwise Kean and Venkys will be a laughing stock.

Bobby I dont think anyone has said the game yesterday was anything other than dire. Kean has had a dozen games and we have been the good, bad and ugly! He has six weeks to work with the players now with few games in between, no excuses after that.

My feelings are largely frustration based on tactical mistakes which a one-eyed 10 year old can see. In other words the diamond does not work as it exposes the central area. I have never seen teams have such freedom down the middle at top level football. It also exposes both full backs, hence the public shaming of Michel Salgado match after match.

Kean needs to try and play a settled team, with a standard formation that the players understand. He plays one forward pairing one game, another the next, one midfield group one game, and aother the next. Footballers are simple beings...

Once Junior keft the pitch at half time we had no pace and we played all our 'football' in front of their back four.

As Kamy said, it was only when we went to a 442 that we looked anything like a team.

The mantra for the next few games must be: keep it simple, work hard, defend well and take your chances.

Otherwise Kean and Venkys will be a laughing stock.

I agree with whoever it was above that we needed Jones and N'Zonzi playing together as defensive central mid-fielders. That's what I put forward before the game. I can see it, you can see it, the clueless manager can't see it.

The diamond system isn't working, won't work so drop it (along with Roberts). A comfortable league position is seeping though his hands.1 point from 9----2 home games + 1 relegation candidate away.

Why was Junior and Santa Cruz replaced? injuries?

I thought Dunn and Nzonzi was crap today, should had been subbed at halftime.

Roberts showed nothing when came on.

Nelsen played well with Olsson.

I really hope we can introduce Rochina and Formica when we play Villa. Jones and Givet could also be back for that game as they are back in training.

I would like to see Givet back at left back and Olsson as a left winger and Hoilett on the right.

I've not taken sides in the Allardyce/Kean argument [and won't]; but, even as a glass-half-full person, I must say that yesterday's performance was the most worrying of the games I've seen under the new regime.

I was reasonably optimistic when our team sheet was announced but the reality didn't match up to expectation. Newcastle's midfield was much more direct than ours, albeit aided by an incompetent referee who was much too lax [with both teams, though they were the greater offenders, imo], which put pressure on our back 4. The words "knife", "through" and "butter" kept going through my mind.

For me, there were three lessons to be learned from yesterday's game.

One is never to write things like

I can't remember if they have anybody with the pace to trouble Salgado so I reckon we'll win, maybe by 2-1.

and I defer to the superior knowledge [and speed! ^_^ of Mr Shoelaces]

I've still got the pace to trouble Salgado and I'll be 62 next month.

The second and third lessons, which I hope the management will learn are that, classy though Salgado may be, he needs the protection which someone like Emerton can provide; and that we need a balanced midfield. Which, for me, means only one "holding" midfielder and either Olsson or Hoilet providing an outlet.

Let's not forget, though, [he wrote, reverting to "glass-half-full" mode! :D ] that we're not operating in a vacuum and that the teams below us will also be worried about their forthcoming programmes. There are enough opportunities in the remaining 11 games to ensure that we're safe in the Premier League.

I have to say I am a bit worried about Kean's tactics. We should be stabalising the team and getting the defensive side sorted then building up going forward. However letting in 4 at Wigan didn't seem to prompt any sort of change. The diamond is a suicidal formation against teams that exploit the wings well and thats what happened to us.

Sort it out Kean. 442 or 4231 is in order - we want to see some solidarity through the side. We can always change to the diamond later in the game if it seems prudent.

Why was Junior and Santa Cruz replaced? injuries? Walked off at half time with the physio - holding his hamstring

I thought Dunn and Nzonzi was crap today, should had been subbed at halftime. Dunn has had a lot of poor games this season - the Liverpool game was when everyone seemed to think writing him off was premature

Roberts showed nothing when came on. He still thinks his job is to win free-kicks!

Nelsen played well with Olsson. Nelsen did okay but was no MOTM. Robinson and Jones were ahead of him. Maybe it was for that late run out of defence.

I really hope we can introduce Rochina and Formica when we play Villa. Jones and Givet could also be back for that game as they are back in training.

I would like to see Givet back at left back and Olsson as a left winger and Hoilett on the right. Wouldn't we all!

I have to say I am a bit worried about Kean's tactics. We should be stabalising the team and getting the defensive side sorted then building up going forward. However letting in 4 at Wigan didn't seem to prompt any sort of change. The diamond is a suicidal formation against teams that exploit the wings well and thats what happened to us.

Sort it out Kean. 442 or 4231 is in order - we want to see some solidarity through the side. We can always change to the diamond later in the game if it seems prudent.

This was the average position of our team yesterday.

Kean will probably think the formation wasn't broke against Newcastle because we kept a "clean sheet" so why fix it ;)

AvgPositionNewcastle.jpg

I feel a tadge sorry for the Southend fans who had their match at Accy called off after the coaches arrived. Some of them then decided to travel to Ewood and we had 75 or so shrimpers in the JW Upper watching what wasn't exactly the greatest advert for top flight football.

Still, could have been worse, it could have been Rovers vs Stoke they had to watch...

Kean need to go back to playing 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but play with some width on the pitch.

Kean needs to go back to 4-5-1 until we are safe and thats that chaddy! That gave us plenty of width too. Allardyce is no fool, he knew the squad strengths and limitations better than anyone. Steve Kean is starting to look like a fine example of the term 'promotion to incompetence'. That shambolic tactical set up yesterday was an absolute disgrace.

One can never be sure of such things but imo if Allardyce had stayed we'd currently be looking at being one win away from the accepted safety mark of 40 points. As it stands we should have enough in the kitty but it's a fact that the remaining fixtures are suddenly looking much tougher than they did.

Shocking - Steve Kean lost a lot of my belief in him today. As has been remarked on here many times he is yet to make a good substitution and today he continued his 100% record although it could be argued the appearance of Emerton improved us slightly.

LD..... A bloody hat on a stick anywhere on the right wing would have improved us in that dreadeful first half. You need to be asking yourself why the bus driver did not appear to be aware of it.

Archived