BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle home

philipl

The Carroll-less Toon rolls into town next Saturday with both sides fresh from conceding 4 goals. Both scored a bag full at the other end as well of course but whereas we got bogged down in a Wigan swamp, Newcastle are on a huge high after pegging back a 4 goal deficit against Arsenal and thereby edged ahead of us in the table.

11th (us) v 10th (them) should by mid February qualify as a bit of a nothing game but with every prospect of 7th carrying a Europa Cup place and 18th terrifyingly close, rather more than the odd £800k place prize money is riding on this one.

Three defeats in a week accompanied by some head scratchingly odd selections has taken the gilt off Steve Kean's start whilst £35m is a contribution towards £100m of debt at Newcastle (yes that debt Mike Ashley said he'd paid off in full) but it won't score a goal for you in the way Andy Carroll used to.

In all fairness, a combination of bad boy behaviour and injury had restricted Andy Carroll of late and Barton(3), Best(4), Tiote, Coloccini, Nolan(2), Lovenkrands and Ameobi have all scored since Carroll notched what proved to be his valedictory goal in Newcastle's home defeat against City on Boxing Day.

So this lot can score goals- 13 of them in their last 8 games without needing Andy Carroll to score. They are also well capable of winning away with as many victories(4) on their travels as secured at St James's Park.

To Rovers and this game is now a bit of a monster with a pressing need to turn around a worrying loss of form. It seems likely that Roque Santa Cruz and Mauro Formica will both be available so the Latin American flare quotient should be running high for Rovers- assuming Steve Kean picks them. And there in lies a very big rub after this week's oddities, who and in what formation will Steve Kean select?

Alan Pardew might be only somewhat less likely to have found himself in the Newcastle manager's seat than Steve Kean at Rovers but he is a very experienced and wily campaigner who has a pretty formidable, nay scary midfield at his disposal. Nolan loves getting the better of Rovers from his Bolton days whilst former prisoner Barton needs no introduction. I might be wrong but a head on straight down the middle approach might not be particularly rewarding for Rovers in this game.

And we don't have a wound-up Sam determined to get one over on a club that sacked him and went down... oh hang on...

With West Ham v Brum, West Brom v West Ham, Blackpool v Villa, West Brom v Wolves, Wolves v Blackpool and Brum v Newcastle on the fixture list this month (some of them being games in hand over us) the bottom of the table is going to be rushing up to meet the loser rather alarmingly.

So a moment of truth game without being as buttock clenchingly decisive as VE Day making the title our's to lose or Graham Fenton's brace in the last five minutes making the title lost to them three seasons later.

Hopefully the Toon will be down at Ewood in strength and there will be no booing of our Keith to spoil a rip-roaringly good Ewood atmosphere.

Could be a classic and it won't be 0-0. (So I've jinxed it!)

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

We're 7 points clear of the relegation zone at the moment, but after this match we've got Villa (away) and Fulham (away), both games we're likely to lose. With that in mind this game is very, very important. We've tossed away 6 points from the Spurs & Wigan games and can't afford to give away another three here.

It may sound a bit "doomy" but if we lose this one, then there's a very good chance we'll go into the Blackpool game at home having lost FIVE games in a row and on a disasterous slide down the table. I'd imagine we're going to be looking at our home form to keep us up this year and considering we have Arsenal, City and Man Utd to come at home after the Blackpool game we really will need to have picked up points by then.

So yeah, big game really. A win will, I think, give us enough of a push to be safe for this season. A loss could be hugely damaging.

Can't even call which way this is going to go to be honest. I'll be devastated if we lose, though.

Great preview of a very important match in my opinion.

This will be a very important, pivotal match, we can pivot down towards the relegation scrap, or up towards safety.

With the changes at the club there must be concern and looking over shoulders at the club. Players were as attached to Mr. Williams as us fans were, and players are all too human. I believe we witnessed the lowering of moral and uncertainty of the players today. Be it good or bad, the new owners have soared into our club like a comet of disruption leaving a fiery wake of unease, skepticism, and division amongst the fans. This will be no different in the playing staff. These things are natural in any major change. Just like major surgery, takeovers require care, tact, and a steady hand. We have had a very vocal bull running the surgery this season, one with the D.T.s.

This game here can end the slide, level it, or upend it. Our defense has been torrid and our strikers as potent as a spayed Tom. The main areas we were in need of shoring up were strengthened, midfield flair, which we have been crying out for for a very long time, has been addressed with youth, youth that is not match ready. Same goes for our strikers. We will be approaching this game with the tools that are already on the table. Any rushing of the new additions will be counterproductive, if not dangerous. I will be very surprised if they start.

So what to do? Can our green manager pull the players out of whatever funk they are in? Can he select a formation that can cope with Newcastles midfield? I hope he can. I hope he can turn those wonderful press conferences into moral boosting team talks. I hope he can build a fire in the players that will burn the grass off the park. I pray that we can win.

With all great turning points in history a lot is built on a very stubborn defense leading to a vicious, sometimes suicidal, counter attack. Let us be the 20th Maine, let us be the RAF, let us win.

Simply a total must win.

Rot needs stopping, as we are in a rut and I'm concerned big time as it's basically the same bunch of players ince had that went on a terrible run where confidence was completely drained.

And no I don't think I'm over reacting.

Getting ollson out of defence is a priority along with never picking benjani again and telling jones to buck his ideas up as he is miles away from doing enough to earn anything permanent.

Completely agree with brfc1995 got to get ollson on the wing asap along with Hoillett on the right.. Personally think we are really missing the width from those two also need our midfield to be more disciplined (I'd play jones with Pederson or Emerton but on strict orders that priority is winning ball / closing opp down) then look to get the ball to the lads out wide and up front at earliest opportunity

Hopefully, Givet will be fit. Sometimes you don't realise how good, important and influential some players are until they aren't there. This would also release Olsson to cause some big problems for the Geordies with his pace and runs into the box.

Also, Salgado needs resting and stick Emerton there. I fear for us in the future whenever Salgado plays because teams have worked out that there are big prizes if you expose him one on one. I think we've been too hasty with a new contract.

As for midfield, I doubt if we are any better off than we were pre window with the exception that we have more available. It would be unfair to expect Formica to come in and make an impact and I don't think Jones has added much at all. Newcastle have Barton, Nolan, Tiote plus one other (or two) dependent upon how they line-up. Three players there who would walk into our team.

Up front, Kalinic has to play - he is our best forward and biggest goal threat.

Because of midfield, this match will be a huge challenge and not sure that we will be up to it.

Hopefully, Givet will be fit. Sometimes you don't realise how good, important and influential some players are until they aren't there. This would also release Olsson to cause some big problems for the Geordies with his pace and runs into the box.

Also, Salgado needs resting and stick Emerton there. I fear for us in the future whenever Salgado plays because teams have worked out that there are big prizes if you expose him one on one. I think we've been too hasty with a new contract.

As for midfield, I doubt if we are any better off than we were pre window with the exception that we have more available. It would be unfair to expect Formica to come in and make an impact and I don't think Jones has added much at all. Newcastle have Barton, Nolan, Tiote plus one other (or two) dependent upon how they line-up. Three players there who would walk into our team.

Up front, Kalinic has to play - he is our best forward and biggest goal threat.

Because of midfield, this match will be a huge challenge and not sure that we will be up to it.

I agree with your assessment of their midfield, much the stronger and more physical. It's a worrying time.

Thanks for the preview.

This is a big game for Rovers, and a chance for Kean to get things back on track. Newcastle are something of a mixed bag, typified with their game against Arsenal. Blown away in the first half, yet they managed to steal a point (and almost win) from 4-0 down. This game will be won or lost in midfield, where hopefully Jermaine Jones will make mincemeat of the Scouse Scallies.

ROBINSON

SALGADO - NELSEN - SAMBA - GIVET

HOILETT - J. JONES - DUNN - OLSSON

KALINIC - SANTA CRUZ

(Or a more conservative...)

ROBINSON

SALGADO - NELSEN - SAMBA - GIVET

J. JONES - NZONZI

HOILETT - DUNN - OLSSON

KALINIC/SANTA CRUZ

^ Both lines up look good, but I would go with the more conservative in light of our tendency to give up goals.

Personally I like MGP but I hope he doesn't factor as a starter. Is he on international duty this weekend?

I can't remember when Emerton started at RB. Is he a viable candidate over Salgado?

I have decided to go for the following -

Robinson

Emerton Samba Nelsen Givet

Hoilett Jones Pedersen Olsson

Kalinic Santa Cruz

Not a bad line-up, but I wouldn't drop Dunn as he builds up some form, especially for Pedersen.

Maybe it is time to drop Salgado for Emo.

I have decided to go for the following -

Robinson

Emerton Samba Nelsen Givet

Hoilett Jones Pedersen Olsson

Kalinic Santa Cruz

Just like Saturday----too open. We'd be overrun in mid-field (again). We need 2 stoppers which is why we always played Phil Jones there. Has to be both N'Zonzi and Jones the Other One for me.

Lets hope the manager reads this!

Big game for us, Newcastle’s midfield is quite feisty so we need to be able to battle in there….so id play both NZonzi & Jones in there, id go 4-5-1 with RSC the loan man, with Hoilett & Olsson supporting from the wings & Dunn just behind in the hole.

Something like this…..

---------------Robbo--------------

Salgado – Samba – Nelsen – Givet

----------Jones----NZonzi---------

Hoilett-------------------Olsson--

--------------Dunn----------------

---------------RSC----------------

Subs: Bunn, Emerton, Grella, Formica, Mame, Kalinic, Hanley

3 points needed – end of!!

Big game for us, Newcastle’s midfield is quite feisty so we need to be able to battle in there….so id play both NZonzi & Jones in there, id go 4-5-1 with RSC the loan man, with Hoilett & Olsson supporting from the wings & Dunn just behind in the hole.

Something like this…..

---------------Robbo--------------

Salgado – Samba – Nelsen – Givet

----------Jones----NZonzi---------

Hoilett-------------------Olsson--

--------------Dunn----------------

---------------RSC----------------

Subs: Bunn, Emerton, Grella, Formica, Mame, Kalinic, Hanley

3 points needed – end of!!

Looks a familiar line-up! And none the worse for that.

Archived