BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle home

philipl

Imo, when fit RSC and Kalinic are our best strikers. RSC is so much better at holding the ball up, but what is the use, if our midfielders don't join up quick enough. There have been so many times, where decent service, has been delivered into the box, only for nobody to latch onto it. Our play, is still very slow, but at least with Hoilett and Olsson, its improving

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liken Kalinic to Linekar, he attacks space around the box, Jimmy Greaves was the same, to a degree, Dwight Yorke at Man U was the same, in and around the box, lethal, Gerd Muller the German striker was the same, none of those players were particularly comfortable with their backs to the goal.

I thought Andy Cole was more like Linekar (e.g. pure goal poacher) and Yorke liked to sit a little.

Frankly, this debate about Kalinic and his strengths is a bit of a moot point. We really haven't seen all his strengths yet and he is still developing as a player. Also, football isn't as scientific as playing the game to one players strengths so that player can score goals. That player has to be able to do a bit of everything and not just be strong in a certain area. Granted, Kalinic is never going to match Roberts for strength but he more than makes up for it in guile. My point is that Kalinic has to have ability above and beyond just one or two facets of the strikers game. While playing in the channels suits him, a lot of teams defend that particular way of attacking and block it off very effectively. Kalinic has to be able to cope with a lot more than we've seen him be able to do up to now. It's a team game and you can't build a team around just one player in the hope he will score shed loads of goals for you. Top players have to be much more adaptable than that.

Hopefully Givet, Kalinic and Rocky will be back for this one as we really missed them last week.

Could see Formica and Rochina on the bench too surely.

I think Kuqi should get a good reception, he did well in his time for us with it has to be said limited ability.

Anyone remember the song we sung for him in the Flinstones tune:

Shefki, Shefki Kuqi

He's a Rovers and hates Burnley!

• Backroom

Roberts mentioned on twitter that the 2 new boys are on a special weights programme to bulk up at the moment so doubt we will see them in action for a while, similar to Pedersen when he signed

Roberts mentioned on twitter that the 2 new boys are on a special weights programme to bulk up at the moment so doubt we will see them in action for a while, similar to Pedersen when he signed

Hm, why did they bother to sign Rochina in this window if they don't use him before the summer anyway ? I don't understand that. Throw money away ??

Sort-of off-topic; but this: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/02/10/fairs-cup-ace-sells-memories-after-tax-bill-72703-28147915/

may be of interest to others who fit into what the Rovers programme often always calls "older supporters".

I had it brought to my attention by a pal from Newcastle who was at College with me when we signed Benny. Thank goodness I don't live in Denmark in this Age of Austerity.

Hm, why did they bother to sign Rochina in this window if they don't use him before the summer anyway ? I don't understand that. Throw money away ??

How is it throwing money away?

a] he would have signed for Monaco if we hadn't stepped in

b] another 6 months excellent form for Newell's could have seen his price rise as more clubs took notice

Loads of clubs sign for the future. Perhaps it's indicative of our past philosophy that 'buying for the future' is seen as alien. It is definitely the right approach to use with cash transfers.

b] another 6 months excellent form for Newell's could have seen his price rise as more clubs took notice

Loads of clubs sign for the future. Perhaps it's indicative of our past philosophy that 'buying for the future' is seen as alien. It is definitely the right approach to use with cash transfers.

Ehm, thats Formica, that is something else.. I meant Rochina, Barcelona... But never mind, let them take their time to get fit!

Wrong player - he's the one from Barca

Rochina could never have been free anyway. He's under 24 so we would have had to have paid compensation to Barcelona even if he had left them when his contract expired. Even if he doesn't play this season it seems sensible to get him in now so that he can settle in the area and at the club and so that we can have control of the areas of the game that he is working on to make sure that he is prepared for the Premier League when the time comes.

Rochina could never have been free anyway. He's under 24 so we would have had to have paid compensation to Barcelona even if he had left them when his contract expired. Even if he doesn't play this season it seems sensible to get him in now so that he can settle in the area and at the club and so that we can have control of the areas of the game that he is working on to make sure that he is prepared for the Premier League when the time comes.

Does the under 24 compensation thing not only apply to clubs in england never sure on these rules seem to change all the time.

The Premier League is a different animal and on current records he cannot handle it. David Healy used to score plenty of goals for his national team (a very poor one) and he has a good scoring record in the lower leagues and he couldn't handle it. Your statment is void as i only care what he is doing for my team and he has done very little. His return to games played is very poor!

I want the lad to do well but it really annoys me when people think he is something that he is clearly not.

To be fair, I think as far as his finishing goes, it is definitely quite good. I know he hasn't scored that many goals, but I'm positive that the majority of shots he's had have been fairly accurate with quite a few hitting the woodwork. So I think that part of his game is quite strong and if he keeps getting the chances, he'll keep scoring. It's the other parts of his game that have been absolutely shocking, in particular his balance and strength on the ball. Besides that he's shown signs of nerves and I think mentally he hasn't been ready to cope with the pressure of the Premier League.

I think he's not far off becoming a quality striker. He has the technical skill to achieve it.

Back on topic, if we lose this game its 3 losses in a row where we should have expected 4 points minimum.

To take pressure off the manager and to give the squad and fans some confidence back I believe it really is a must-win game.

Assuming Givet and Roque are available, I'd play the usual back 4, Olsson and Hoilett on the flanks, and both Jones/N'Zonzi in central mid-field. Roque up-front with Dunn behind him.

If no Roque, then same middle 4 but Kalinic and Diouf up front. What they lack in guile they can make up in pace and energy.

A win will put us in great heart, another loss, no matter how entertaining, would be a sickener.

If NUFC defeat us on Saturday it will be four straight defeats.

The problem has been LB. The loss of Givet has caused a re-shuffle as Ollson is not a left back and he causes real problems on the wing.

Benjani and Diouf cannot play together so i would give Kalinic a shot with RSC. If RSC is not fit, then MD and Kalinic.

He's a 19 year old Barca prospect whom we plan to score mucho goals with next season? I think this was a sound move, personally.

On the issue of Blackburn v. Newcastle, go Rovers!

The problem has been LB. The loss of Givet has caused a re-shuffle as Ollson is not a left back and he causes real problems on the wing.

Benjani and Diouf cannot play together so i would give Kalinic a shot with RSC. If RSC is not fit, then MD and Kalinic.

I think Benji and Kalinic could benefit each other rather well.

Somthing, bloody Utd can not be trusted, tells me that Spit Jr's head is not on straight right now.

Kalanic needs a run of games with a partner, period. We should not pay that amount of money for a player and not utilize him.

But 3 league defeats.

Ramp up the pressure for this game. If, Rovers should concede one, never mind any other goals to Newcastle, then this must be deemed as unsatisfactory after last weeks diabolical performance from the teams defensive point of view.

All eyes will be on Steve Kean to deliver for this one, just to see what hes learnt and what hes done this week to rectify last weeks heavy legged, empty headed performance at the DW.

arte et labore :brfc:

Archived