BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle home

philipl

The formation on Saturday had absouloutley nothing to do with the conceding of any of the goals.The first was just Olsons inability to defend.The second was Samba once again found wanting and not being switched on to a simple situation where he should be in the correct place to clear a long punt up field.The third was again Salgada being caught out ,AND IF WE CAN'T STOP a player from scoring with 6 defenders in the box then i'm afraid the defence needs to take along hard look at thier selves and the way they just stand off and allow a player to play keep ups before slotting the ball home.So you can preach 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 but all formations require at sometime players to defend and at this momment in time i'm afraid we don't seem capable of doing it and have not all season even under Sam Allardyce, just look at our goal difference this dosen't lie and we conceded 7 playing with your 5-5-1.

I largely agree with most you have put here. Under Sam we had some matches were we were playing teams made up mostly of defenders - and still conceded silly goals.

I think it is refreshing to concentrate on what we can do to the opposition - rather than just concentrating on stopping them. However, if we ever going to be successful - Kean needs to strike more of a balance than he is at the moment. During the Wigan match - we had a brilliant first 25 - 30 minutes - pushing them back time and time again. When Wigan started to get in the ascendency - he should have dropped back to a flat 4 in midfield, and give the full backs more protection (most danger came from the wings).

If he continues to want to play an expansive game - then I personally would play Jones and Grella - though Jones has been deployed as a defensive midfield player he has been described as a box to box player - they would provide the bite. I would also consider playing Hoilett just behind a single attacker - so he can do the damage in the opposition third (his passing around the box is also very inventive).

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The formation on Saturday had absouloutley nothing to do with the conceding of any of the goals.The first was just Olsons inability to defend.The second was Samba once again found wanting and not being switched on to a simple situation where he should be in the correct place to clear a long punt up field.The third was again Salgada being caught out ,AND IF WE CAN'T STOP a player from scoring with 6 defenders in the box then i'm afraid the defence needs to take along hard look at thier selves and the way they just stand off and allow a player to play keep ups before slotting the ball home.So you can preach 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 but all formations require at sometime players to defend and at this momment in time i'm afraid we don't seem capable of doing it and have not all season even under Sam Allardyce, just look at our goal difference this dosen't lie and we conceded 7 playing with your 5-5-1.5-5-1.

sorry should have read 4-5-1

absolute bullshit

Emerton was trying to reach the right full back position for one goal and he was at the left side of midfield at the time, where was the shape, where was the cover?

I largely agree with most you have put here. Under Sam we had some matches were we were playing teams made up mostly of defenders - and still conceded silly goals.

I think it is refreshing to concentrate on what we can do to the opposition - rather than just concentrating on stopping them. However, if we ever going to be successful - Kean needs to strike more of a balance than he is at the moment. During the Wigan match - we had a brilliant first 25 - 30 minutes - pushing them back time and time again. When Wigan started to get in the ascendency - he should have dropped back to a flat 4 in midfield, and give the full backs more protection (most danger came from the wings).

If he continues to want to play an expansive game - then I personally would play Jones and Grella - though Jones has been deployed as a defensive midfield player he has been described as a box to box player - they would provide the bite. I would also consider playing Hoilett just behind a single attacker - so he can do the damage in the opposition third (his passing around the box is also very inventive).

Yes wouldn't disagree with you with Grella just keeping him fit is the problem, but it is refreshing to see us attack teams but we really need the like's of Samba to stop making schoolboy errors and we could become a good team.

If Givet is not fit, I would want to see Emerton in the back line. Probably right back with Salgado doing a job at left back.

But whoever the personnel are, we need to be set up so full backs do not get isolated 1 v 2 and there are no free runs or easy diagonal forward balls for the opposition to play in the area immediately outside our penalty area.

If you look at how Liverpool defended at Ewood and how they defended at Stamford Bridge, you can see that with the right management and coaching these sorts of things can be fixed pretty quickly.

If Givet is not fit, I would want to see Emerton in the back line. Probably right back with Salgado doing a job at left back.

But whoever the personnel are, we need to be set up so full backs do not get isolated 1 v 2 and there are no free runs or easy diagonal forward balls for the opposition to play in the area immediately outside our penalty area.

If you look at how Liverpool defended at Ewood and how they defended at Stamford Bridge, you can see that with the right management and coaching these sorts of things can be fixed pretty quickly.

According to THIS site, it's just Santa, who will be ready for the weekend, and Jones thats not fit.

This game is absolutely immense. Lose it, followed by trips to Villa & Fulham (both now getting their act together) and we are in huge trouble. This time of the season is not the time to enter 'freefall' especially with a rookie manager.

I'm not even sure whether I'll go on Saturday as I have what, I now, consider a 'better offer'. This would have been unthinkable for me pre November but, like a number of other supporters I know, something has now been 'lost' in how I feel for Rovers given some of the actions by our new owners. This is very clearly not the same principled, local club that we have known under the stewardship of Messrs Bancroft, Keighley, Brown, Fox, Coar, Williams and of course Jack Walker. No doubt that I'll get lambasted by many with this statement but you pays your money and takes your choice.

According to THIS site, it's just Santa, who will be ready for the weekend, and Jones thats not fit.

The big problem for us is that it si hard to play 451 if Santa is not fit as all of our strikers are rubbish on their own up front. If Santa is fit we can do it.

Team for this:

-------------------Robinson

Salgado---Nelsen----Samba----Olsson

--------------Jones------Grella

----Hoilett---------Dunn---------Pedersen

-------------------Santa Cruz

Olsson should be able to get forward in 4231 as there is the extra defensive player to cover, and Dunn and Hoilett are playing very well at the moment. I would be quite confident about this in terms of attacking quality and defensive solidarity.

Key thing for us is we stabalise the defence. We conceded far too many goals against Wigan. We are better than that.

Surely we must start:

------------Robinson

Emerton; Samba; Nelsen; Givet

-------N'Zonzi; Jones

Hoillett;-------------Olsson

----Santa Cruz--Kalinic

Bunn, Salgado, Hanley, Grella, Pedersen, Roberts, Mama Diouf.

Surely we must start:

------------Robinson

-------N'Zonzi; Jones

----Santa Cruz--Kalinic

Dunny not even in the squad? Why? He should start instead of Jones. At least N'Zonzi can do a sitting job and Dunn can do the creative stuff to bring Jr. and Olsson into the game.

This is a must win. How have we survived the last 2 seasons?? Thought so, by winning our home games. Make Ewood a fortress once more !

• Backroom

This game is absolutely immense. Lose it, followed by trips to Villa & Fulham (both now getting their act together) and we are in huge trouble. This time of the season is not the time to enter 'freefall' especially with a rookie manager.

I'm not even sure whether I'll go on Saturday as I have what, I now, consider a 'better offer'. This would have been unthinkable for me pre November but, like a number of other supporters I know, something has now been 'lost' in how I feel for Rovers given some of the actions by our new owners. This is very clearly not the same principled, local club that we have known under the stewardship of Messrs Bancroft, Keighley, Brown, Fox, Coar, Williams and of course Jack Walker. No doubt that I'll get lambasted by many with this statement but you pays your money and takes your choice.

There are two sides to that particular coin though, during the Sam days myself and a lot of others felt something had gone on matchdays and I found myself not bothered if I missed a game, now I look forward to them a lot more (even with some worry still).

Big big game though, on paper it's not desperate but if we lose this then we will have failed to beat Newcastle, Stoke, West Ham, Sunderland, Fulham at home and Birmingham and Wigan away, these are the type of games you need to be winning as the number of winnable games slips down every time we don't take full points.

I really hope Roque is fit, if he is I would play maybe Dunn just off him with maybe Formica coming on later to replace him once his Pietank is running on empty.

The main thing is no silly defensive errors that have cost us too many points this season.

Not looking good for us, we're on telly over here, we seem to lose when I get to watch us. Fingers crossed we stuff em though, a loss will make me very nervous and this message board not worth reading.

You remember Bancroft? and you have only just found your way to this board? Interesting that.

Massive game, not too sure if I agree with some of the points raised above I'd have to say I get a buzz going to Ewood now that I haven't had for years.

We need a far better defensive performance for this game, the defence badly let the side down against Wigan so I hope they are firing on all cylinders. Any news of Givet? As much as he isn't the best left back in the world he allows Ollsen to push on.

I've got a few geordie mates from work for this one, I gave them so much stick after our win up there ... Please god don't let them win!!!

I would suggest that seeing as Carroll has gone, put Samba on the bench and let Hanley man mark whoever plays up front for Newcastle, also tell Nelsen to play the sweeper role. Givet at left back and Olsson to left mid and play a flat 4 midfield of Olsson, Jones, Emerton and Hoillett with Dunn supporting RSC.

Surely we must start:

------------Robinson

-------N'Zonzi; Jones

----Santa Cruz--Kalinic

This team I like, take out Santa and Givet and we suddenly look weak again which is the worry if they are not fit.

salgado is starting to get destoryed on the right decently, I'm not sure he is playing worse of managers have worked him out and are exposing him.

is dunn injured?

This is a game that will buzzing about.... I think we'll win this one and with Roque back it will free up space for Holiett and Olsson.

Olsson is alot faster than Danny Simpson so I would go for this eleven.

A fact is that when Bunn has been in goal we haven't lost. WBA, Liverpool and QPR.....just let you know.

My eleven:

Robinson

Salgado, Samba, Nelsen, Givet.

Hoilett, Jones or Gamst, Dunn, Olsson

Santa Cruz and Kalinic

Archived