BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle home

philipl

Not sure what is going on with Kalinic but would consider going for something like this below – not sure what the fitness situation is with Grella but he can actually pass the ball well (short & long) when he is playing well. Think Jones naturally is a box to box player so he would be well suited in his team/role.

Dunn scored plenty of goals and looked outstanding when playing in the free role off the front man last season, so that is the thinking behind that one.

---------------Robbo--------------

Salgado – Samba – Nelsen – Givet

---------- ----Grella---------

Hoilett------ Jones ---------Olsson--

--------------Dunn----------------

---------------RSC----------------

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you philipl for the preview.

This is a massive game for Rovers, a must, must, must win game, for so many reasons, but do the players believe in Steve Kean, and does Kean have the ability to get that winning result.

We shall see.

as long a Olsson is not left back, its suicide.

I don't get that. He's no worse than any other defender at the moment.

I'd go with...

Robinson

Emerton Samba Nelsen Givet

Pedersen Jones Dunn Olsson

Santa Cruz Hoilett

Kean seems intent on not restricting Hoilett to the wing, so really the only way to do that without screwing up the rest of the midfield is to play him up front. He could do well with Roque.

Emerton can provide width on the right in way that Salgado can't, meaning Pedersen could drift in from his wide position and provide an extra body (as well as being able to cut on his left foot).

Getting rid of Diouf looks a tad hasty to me, our right wing options are very limited without a replacement.

Whilst every game is important it's not the end of the world if we don't win. After all who expected us to win at West Brom? I didn't. who expected us to win at Villa last season?? Again not many. So you never know we could garner something from Fulham away and Villa away

Whilst every game is important it's not the end of the world if we don't win. After all who expected us to win at West Brom? I didn't. who expected us to win at Villa last season?? Again not many. So you never know we could garner something from Fulham away and Villa away

The problem I see in our losing is that we would have had 3 consecutive Premier League losses. This would be a very difficult base for the inexperienced manager to build on to get positive results away from home.

Not impossible, just very difficult.

Rovers have already lost 3 out of the last 4 league games. Kean needs to win this one or it could turn into the sort of destructive West Brom slide that led to Di Matteo losing his job. Big game for the manager and the club.

I'm a glass-half-full man; so am less worried about this Saturday's game than some of those who've posted above. I think that Newcastle are beat-able and I also think that we need to consider the form of teams below us or already in the relegation zone. Take Blackpool, for example; since the turn of the year, their League record is P8; W1 [Liverpool!], D0, L7.

Although I've said that I think that the Geordies are beat-able, I think it'll be easier if RSC is available to play and I must say I like the idea of a centre midfield of Grella [if fit!]and Jones. I can't remember if they have anybody with the pace to trouble Salgado so I reckon we'll win, maybe by 2-1.

Getting your alibi in early?

This game is eminently winnable and Rovers just need to go in with confidence. The battle against Newcastle will be won or lost in midfield, their heartbeat is Barton and Nolan,they lifted them against Arsenal. Stop them and Newcastle struggle. Some people have pointed to Jones as being a walking Red card, Nolan and Barton are the same. The critical thing is not too lose control.

The Newcastle defence flits between inept and average and so far we have looked like scoring regularly under Kean. They will be relying on Best as their front man and he blows hot and cold, usually cold.

I am looking forward to the game and at least it will be entertaining, just need the three points .........

There are three moments in a game of football, when in possession of the ball, when not in possession of the ball and when possession changes, our goals conceeded are when possession has changed and we have not reacted or been disciplined enough to keep our shape and defend in two lines of four, at Prem Level indeed any proffessional level, if we dont do that we will concede lots of goals as opponents will exploit the gaps and openings dragging our back four all over the place, thats it in a nutshell, we are setting ourselves out to simply play football and to hell with everything else.

The diamond formation is not working and that has to be addressed, go 4-5-1 with Dunn/Formica etc playing slightly more advanced and we may have a chance.

There are three moments in a game of football, when in possession of the ball, when not in possession of the ball and when possession changes, our goals conceeded are when possession has changed and we have not reacted or been disciplined enough to keep our shape and defend in two lines of four, at Prem Level indeed any proffessional level, if we dont do that we will concede lots of goals as opponents will exploit the gaps and openings dragging our back four all over the place, thats it in a nutshell, we are setting ourselves out to simply play football and to hell with everything else.

The diamond formation is not working and that has to be addressed, go 4-5-1 with Dunn/Formica etc playing slightly more advanced and we may have a chance.

The formation on Saturday had absouloutley nothing to do with the conceding of any of the goals.The first was just Olsons inability to defend.The second was Samba once again found wanting and not being switched on to a simple situation where he should be in the correct place to clear a long punt up field.The third was again Salgada being caught out ,AND IF WE CAN'T STOP a player from scoring with 6 defenders in the box then i'm afraid the defence needs to take along hard look at thier selves and the way they just stand off and allow a player to play keep ups before slotting the ball home.So you can preach 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 but all formations require at sometime players to defend and at this momment in time i'm afraid we don't seem capable of doing it and have not all season even under Sam Allardyce, just look at our goal difference this dosen't lie and we conceded 7 playing with your 5-5-1.

The formation on Saturday had absouloutley nothing to do with the conceding of any of the goals.The first was just Olsons inability to defend.The second was Samba once again found wanting and not being switched on to a simple situation where he should be in the correct place to clear a long punt up field.The third was again Salgada being caught out ,AND IF WE CAN'T STOP a player from scoring with 6 defenders in the box then i'm afraid the defence needs to take along hard look at thier selves and the way they just stand off and allow a player to play keep ups before slotting the ball home.So you can preach 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 but all formations require at sometime players to defend and at this momment in time i'm afraid we don't seem capable of doing it and have not all season even under Sam Allardyce, just look at our goal difference this dosen't lie and we conceded 7 playing with your 5-5-1.

5-5-1.

sorry should have read 4-5-1

I'm a glass-half-full man; so am less worried about this Saturday's game than some of those who've posted above. I think that Newcastle are beat-able and I also think that we need to consider the form of teams below us or already in the relegation zone. Take Blackpool, for example; since the turn of the year, their League record is P8; W1 [Liverpool!], D0, L7.

Although I've said that I think that the Geordies are beat-able, I think it'll be easier if RSC is available to play and I must say I like the idea of a centre midfield of Grella [if fit!]and Jones. I can't remember if they have anybody with the pace to trouble Salgado so I reckon we'll win, maybe by 2-1.

I've still got the pace to trouble Salgado and I'll be 62 next month.

I have the Jones / red card worry too.

I'm not too sure of this. Yes I agree that from what I've seen Barton is a bit of a thug but he tends to direct his venom toward younger players and the MGP types. I'm not certain he has the stones to engage in that sort of behavior against the J. Jones of the world, and if he does it'll be a bit of sneaky underhandedness which is more likely to get Barton the red card as Jones.

IMO, if Barton were to stick his finger in J. Jones' eye, Barton would draw back a bloody stump.

The formation on Saturday had absouloutley nothing to do with the conceding of any of the goals.The first was just Olsons inability to defend.The second was Samba once again found wanting and not being switched on to a simple situation where he should be in the correct place to clear a long punt up field.The third was again Salgada being caught out ,AND IF WE CAN'T STOP a player from scoring with 6 defenders in the box then i'm afraid the defence needs to take along hard look at thier selves and the way they just stand off and allow a player to play keep ups before slotting the ball home.

I think this is mostly accurate. I like Kean's offensive tactics, I worry that he has spent so much time focusing on goals that the defense has been allowed to come unstuck. And with P. Jones out, and J. Jones still learning the foibles of the squad, there is no defensive midfielder to consistently cover for our back four defensive lapses. The good news is that for Newcastle Givet should, hopefully, be back, which should restore some spine to the defense and allow Kean to move Olson up to add some bite to the attack. And J. Jones will only improve as he settles in.

I think we should do well this match, though I hope it is based on objective reality and not a personal pipe dream.

Archived