BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle home

philipl

My team for the game would be:- Robinson; Salgado, Samba, Nelsen, Olsson; Hoilett, Dunn, Nzonzi, Pedersen; Santa Cruz, Kalinic

Subs:- Bunn, Hanley, Emerton, Grella, Jones, Roberts, M.Diouf.

Rovers to win 2 nil. Goals from RSC and Kalinic.

Let's play 4-4-2 and with Wingers getting the ball into the box with the strikers finishing them off.

DON'T PLAY the diamond shape in midfield because it doesn't work in the PL!

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with Wingers getting the ball into the box with the strikers finishing them off.

I think that's what Kean ideally wants to do - he said after Santa signed, for him (Santa) to be effective we need quality coming in from the wingers from wide areas.

Sorry to be pendantic but it seemed to be working when we beat Liverpool & West Brom playing it, but now because we narrowly lost two games (of which we dominated for periods) it suddenley doesn't work again. Although I agree it makes us a lot less defensively stable, but isn't that the cost of trying to play attacking football?

I would go with the following line-up, I'd drop Salgado out because he had a poor game against Wigan I honestly believe Newcastle's threat in open-play often comes down the left-hand side through Gutierrez and Enrique.

---------------- Robinson ----------------

Emerton, Samba, Nelsen, Olsson

-------------------- Jones ----------------

---- Holiett --------------- MGP --------

------------------ Dunn -------------------

------ RSC ------------- Kalinic ---------

Although if we do actually go with the diamond I expect Salgado will play and it will be a simple choice of Emerton, MGP or Andrews (!) for one of the midfield slots.

Alternatively we could go with a three at the back in a 3-5-2 (or a more accurate description would probably be 3-3-2-1-1), although granted this is probably less likely due to the absense of Givet but still a possibility I suppose. It worked so effectively in the away game at St. James' and Newcastle are likely to line-up with either Best & Ranger as a front two or Best with Nolan playing just off him. Players predominantly known for their ability in the air. In addition Newcastle play with no great width, especially down the right-hand side where that little cvnt Barton plays, therefore the formation would also allow Olsson further freedom to get forward from a wing-back position. Although it would be brave move from Kean to change to this formation especially after it didn't get a result against Stoke.

----------------------- Robinson ------------------------

------------ Hanley --- Nelsen --- Samba ---------

-- Salgado------------ Jones ---------- Olsson --

---------- Holiett -------------------- MGP -----------

--------------------------- Dunn -------------------------

----------------------------RSC -------------------------

I'd like to see Morris given a chance but I think with the status of this game being quite important (I'm almost certain we aint going to be relegated but anything can happen on a losing streak) that we should wait until we're a little more sure footed.

Whilst I was writing that I also came up with the opposing view that it's a very winnable game and there aren't many other appropriate games where you'd want to see his starting introduction.

I'll start my own messageboard and just argue with myself on there.

No need. You're right at home. I argue with myself one week to the next on this board all the time. :blush:

I know what a lot of people think of Vince, but when fit I think he's actually quite good (not very good but good enough).

He's been healthy for a few weeks now and should be ready for a start, and I think he's a better player than Nzonzi at the moment.

To close the gaps that have been there for all to see in the middle I'd play him and JJ. Roque up front with Dunny behind him and Hoilett helping from the wing and I guess MGP on the other side.

I think Kean's mentality would see us still be attacking even with just one up top.

No need. You're right at home. I argue with myself one week to the next on this board all the time. :blush:

Looking at the current Newcastle team I would be tempted by a 4-3-3

Robinson

Salgado--Nelson---Samba--Olsson

---------Nzonzi--JJ------------

-------------------MGP---------

------Hoilett------------------

---------RSC--Kalinic----------

Lack of Givet is a big problem for us in this one, but having 2 + hoilett supporting up front will cause them issues, I would drop Dunn for this one as I dont think he would have much joy with his legs up against barton.

Not overly convinced we will get anything from this game, Newcastle are above us in the league and while they have a weak central def and a poor strike force, they have one hell of a midfield and two decent full backs.

Would of loved us too be able too play a back 3 (with Olsson and Emerton as wing backs) taking nzonzi out of it for Jones or Givet but with both of those injured just dont think we have the squad for it.

I know what a lot of people think of Vince, but when fit I think he's actually quite good (not very good but good enough).

He's been healthy for a few weeks now and should be ready for a start, and I think he's a better player than Nzonzi at the moment.

To close the gaps that have been there for all to see in the middle I'd play him and JJ. Roque up front with Dunny behind him and Hoilett helping from the wing and I guess MGP on the other side.

I think Kean's mentality would see us still be attacking even with just one up top.

Biggest problem for me with playing Grella is he is as likely as JJ too get a red.. having two potentials would be possibly very dangerous.

Robinson

Hanley Samba Nelson

Grella/ JJ

Hoillet Dunn Pedersen Ollsson

Kalinic RSC

Abit of a powderpuff midfield but with Grella/ JJ sitting back to help the defence permanatly. Must admit my team is based purely on Ollsson not being left back so if he is errrrm!

The midfield is Grella or JJ, damn smartphone won't edit! I know it looks like I've got 12 players!

If Olsson is on the left and Salgado is on the right then we will be defensively weak on both flanks again. It's tiresome watching Salgado targeted week after week. Olsson is clearly not a left back and is a liability in that position.

I was a bit surprised we didn't get a left back sorted in January. Olsson struggles there and is better on th wing really.

I argued strongly for a cut-price Stephen Warnock. But no, apparently we could afford Ronaldinho but not him!

Guest linganzi

Some corners rather absurdly suggested we were well covered at lb .

This lot are easily beatable today.

What about.............

Mgp and emo as sort of full backs, not out and out wing backs, allowing hoilett and Olsson to go crazy.

I suppose is have dunn and nzonzi in the middle. No formica is annoying me a lot. What's the point ?

Rovers 6 idiots 0

How can I get back to blackburn rail station by bus (e.g what number/time/where)

help appreciated! Thanks

The bus stop just outside macdonalds facing the stadium not the one futher round the corner jump on any bus from that stop and u will get to the train station. I think its the accrington bus. the come about every 30 min so find a pub and wait out the traffic or get out the stadium well early.

The bus stop just outside macdonalds facing the stadium not the one futher round the corner jump on any bus from that stop and u will get to the train station. I think its the accrington bus. the come about every 30 min so find a pub and wait out the traffic or get out the stadium well early.

Or, as said earlier, walk. It's going to be dry by he looks of it and it really is much quicker.

How can I get back to blackburn rail station by bus (e.g what number/time/where)

help appreciated! Thanks

If you are talking about after the match then just forget it! Please trust me on this......it is far quicker to walk. The police halt all traffic moving along Bolton Road in the vicinity of Ewood for about 15 mins, or allow a trickle, but I have never seen a bus pass in the direction of Blackburn in all the time it takes me to walk the whole way to the station. I do it after every home game that I attend, and I can "leg it" to the Boulevard (train station) in just over 22 mins and I am 75 and nowhere near as quick as I once was.

Dunno why we don't at the very least have formica on the bench today. Todays game is so important, a loss and things could turn nasty quickly.

If we're 1-0 down say with 20 minutes to go, surely being able to bring him on, is what could switch the game around.

Giving the lad 20 minutes in this game isn't going to damage him too much if we really need a bit of creativity in the final third.

Archived