BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa Vs Blackburn Rovers

roversmum

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or something to do with his namesake. Wasn't El-Hadji a hero of his?

If your going to set-up like we did yesterday we need pace in the midfield to get up and support, Diouf would have been ideal on the right to provide that.

I would have gone with the line-up you posted Topman.

Has anyone commented on Keans after match words? He said we were trying to get players on but too many corners prevented this and so we conceded 2 goals. Kean mate you have to way up the pros and the cons yes its not good putting on players when you are setting up to depend set-pieces, but equally keeping players on the bench that you feel can change the game whilst we are under the cosh is foolish.

Earlier I posted that Kean will be here till the end of the season.

I forgot to add that the above statement is based on the Fulham game.

There were gaskets blown in Pune yesterday.

Its foolish to say till the end of the season (not on your part but on the end of the fool who decided that). So lets say be beat Fulham then lose the next 3? Then what? No point making long-term commitments. They've made a couple which has already backfired!

It's all their fault and blame cannot be laid anywhere else.

:angry2: :angry2:

Fully agree but as they are the owners I'm happy to hear of that reaction and not a 'There is nothing wrong as far as we are concerned' response. Please don't think that I'm pro-Venkys, I think my popularity has taken a nose dive recently :)

Its foolish to say till the end of the season (not on your part but on the end of the fool who decided that). So lets say be beat Fulham then lose the next 3? Then what? No point making long-term commitments. They've made a couple which has already backfired!

That was my fault. As far as I'm aware, there was a meeting that took place yesterday and firing Kean was discussed, I was then told that it wasn't going to happen but a few e-mails later it was heavily suggested to me and others on this board that everything rides on the Fulham game.

If Kean really has hoodwinked them into thinking he was the right man for the job to take us into this new era, then they surely they must feeling alot of anger towards Kean now?

In a way they must be feeling like they have been conned, out of pocket and of out respect they could have earned by now with the fans and football world.

This leads me to believe that Kean must be on very very thin ice now with venkys.

However, if venkys only put him in place for the sole reason of him becoming their yes man, well, then it could be an entirely different story...

Fully agree but as they are the owners I'm happy to hear of that reaction and not a 'There is nothing wrong as far as we are concerned' response. Please don't think that I'm pro-Venkys, I think my popularity has taken a nose dive recently :)

Not with me BPF, you have criteria to fulfil to ensure you get the titbits you have been, so I understand your position.

My concern is this.

When they sacked Sam they thought the fans would be happy. They weren't in the main.

So will that mis-reading by them make them hesitate over being as ruthless with Kean? They can't afford to up-set the fans much more and surely they realise this?

Also they would be seen as being wrong so will the swallow their pride and do it? An astute man/woman would, lets see what they do.

• Backroom

Of all the games Kean has had so far, the only game we've looked good has been the Liverpool game. We won both games against WBA, but those wins were as much down to WBA's awful finishing as our own quality.

Venky's "positive" thinker readily admitted yesterday that he aimed for a 0-0. Doesn't sound that positive to me.

We'll lose at Fulham, then maybe the pretender will be binned, but who do we get in to replace him? It'll be a tough sell, as Venky's have given themselves a reputation in the premier league about as low as you could get.

Of all the games Kean has had so far, the only game we've looked good has been the Liverpool game. We won both games against WBA, but those wins were as much down to WBA's awful finishing as our own quality.

Venky's "positive" thinker readily admitted yesterday that he aimed for a 0-0. Doesn't sound that positive to me.

We'll lose at Fulham, then maybe the pretender will be binned, but who do we get in to replace him? It'll be a tough sell, as Venky's have given themselves a reputation in the premier league about as low as you could get.

You would either have to have someone ready and waiting to take over (ie jobless now) or you need a caretaker. There's no-one left to take over as caretaker!

And who is available that would be willing to come? The longer this malaise goes on, the more suicidal the decision to sack Allardyce was.

I always find it interesting to read some of the comments on the game from fans of the side we have just faced. Below are some I have come across:

Not taking anything away from the lads but how dreadful were Blackburn?! Especially the defending in Downing's goal.
It should be noted Blackburn were very poor - some of that was down to how we played, but they also had zero strength up front (Santa Cruz was beyond anonymous) and were generally slow and did not seem much up for the game. Rather than signing Ronaldinho in the summer, they could be in relegation trouble if that is typical.

The Blackburn defence was suicidal at times but it is great all the same to see the goals fly in for a change.
Very good 2nd half performance against an absolutely woeful blackburn side
Blackburn were terrible but we played very well and could only beat what is in front of us.
Putting a level headed look on it Blackburn let us play today, like they did in the cup, whereas Fulham and Blackpool didn't allow us to.
Blackburn were a bit like their fans in that they didnt really bother turning up. They pressed like maniacs for the first half hour then ran out of steam and ideas, thankfully we had it in us to punish them for their lack of ambition.

Bad result.

As soon as I knew Andrews and Grella we starting, hope went out the window.

Givet should of been at left back, Ollson in midfield and Kalinic should of been up front with Rocky. Kalinic always scores against Villa too.

Andrews is just useless, the penalty was a joke! Hows on earth does he get picked to play?

Need to get back to attacking football, playing for draws is suicide.

I ask the question again, the football under Kean, is it better than under Allardyce? Imo, apart from the Liverpool game, its been shockingly bad. There needs to be a change in manager, and it has to happen immediately.

AND in that particular game it was actually Liverpool that was shockingly bad!

If only Venkys had been warned what a mistake they were making at the time.

Oh, wait a minute - EVERY RESPECTED FOOTBALLER, EX-FOOTBALLER, MANAGER, JOUNALIST, PUNDIT AND FAN FROM WHICHEVER CLUB YOU CARE TO MENTION who were asked about it thought that sacking Sam Allardyce (and not replacing him with an experienced manager) was an error and the Venky trio didn't have enough knowledge of football.

We all feared the worst but hoped for the best (apart from Vinjay who has blind faith in anyone who isn't the Trust). I still stand by my thoughts just after the sacking which I placed on the 'Your thoughts on recent events' thread. It warned that they had better have a good plan including manager, chairman and backroom staff. I also said they needed to be advised well and employ a press officer to do ALL the talking (although John Williams was rather good at that). We have gone backwards in all respects and time doesn't seem to be healing the situation.

Imagine one of us buying an Irish Hurling team. Would you go straight in and sack the manager without a thought for the fans or the 125 year history that hurling can boast, believing the propaganda spouted by a young couch, who you are so impressed with you want to make him manager, without checking out any facts - like what has previously happened when such a promotion has been made and has it EVER been succesful. I would head for as many experts as possible and take a cross section of advice and make my decisions based on that.

I'm 41 now so that's about 34 years supporting Rovers. Because of the cheap season tickets I have recently been bringing my family. This was not so good under Paul Ince but with the excellent home record under Sam, match days were good days out. Our season tickets run out in the summer when, for the first time ever I will be reserving judgement on renewal. If by then this doesn't look like being a well run and structured football club - this will be my last season actively supporting Rovers. I can't belive I'm saying this but I can't condone what is happening! They'll always be in my heart.

Until a couple of months ago I had thought a 'self destruct' button was something reserved for Science Fiction and Newcastle United but it seems it does exist - and for some weird, inexplicable, devastating reason our new owners pressed it!

It is hard to know where to start!! We are in serious trouble and I am unsure where all this will end up.

I don't get any pleasure in being proven right about the appointment of Kean and all is proceeding exactly as I and many others predicted. I guess that is the most frustrating part of all this for me, as we are just fans and don't claim to be hugely knowledgeable and informed football folk.

None of this is rocket science however and absolutely nothing good has come from removing Sam or for that matter John Williams. Nothing at all.

I would have loved Sam to have been given some financial backing to take us on to the next level. He would have spent wisely, maintained team harmony and discipline and we would have gone from strength to strength. What was so hard to understand about that? He deserved that chance after working wonders at the club on a shoestring.

We are in total disarray brought about by crazy decision making, a complete lack of principal, class and dignity and the promotion of an employee unqualified for the position he now holds.

SK must be removed immediately. He is floundering and lost. His flick a coin and hope for the best attacking approach has proven to be one dimensional and easy to counter. He has subsequently shown he has no lasting confidence or belief in his own principals, playing for a draw at home to newly promoted Newcastle and playing three defensive midfielders against Villa. He has shown he is tactically inept. Team selections and formations have constantly changed and Kean still has no idea what his best team is. One of our best players this season has been allowed to leave on loan. Keans PR is a disgrace. Top six? Playing fantastic football at home? His media utterings are beyond belief and he is making the club a laughing stock. He has been promoted above his station, simple as that.

The players will be as confused and lost as we are and unless we change something, nothing will change.

It is hard to know where to start!! We are in serious trouble and I am unsure where all this will end up.

I don't get any pleasure in being proven right about the appointment of Kean and all is proceeding exactly as I and many others predicted. I guess that is the most frustrating part of all this for me, as we are just fans and don't claim to be hugely knowledgeable and informed football folk.

None of this is rocket science however and absolutely nothing good has come from removing Sam or for that matter John Williams. Nothing at all.

I would have loved Sam to have been given some financial backing to take us on to the next level. He would have spent wisely, maintained team harmony and discipline and we would have gone from strength to strength. What was so hard to understand about that? He deserved that chance after working wonders at the club on a shoestring.

We are in total disarray brought about by crazy decision making, a complete lack of principal, class and dignity and the promotion of an employee unqualified for the position he now holds.

SK must be removed immediately. He is floundering and lost. His flick a coin and hope for the best attacking approach has proven to be one dimensional and easy to counter. He has subsequently shown he has no lasting confidence or belief in his own principals, playing for a draw at home to newly promoted Newcastle and playing three defensive midfielders against Villa. He has shown he is tactically inept. Team selections and formations have constantly changed and Kean still has no idea what his best team is. One of our best players this season has been allowed to leave on loan. Keans PR is a disgrace. Top six? Playing fantastic football at home? His media utterings are beyond belief and he is making the club a laughing stock. He has been promoted above his station, simple as that.

The players will be as confused and lost as we are and unless we change something, nothing will change.

I agree with all of that. For me the revolver's on the table.

Imagine one of us buying an Irish Hurling team. Would you go straight in and sack the manager without a thought for the fans or the 125 year history that hurling can boast, believing the propaganda spouted by a young couch, who you are so impressed with you want to make him manager, without checking out any facts - like what has previously happened when such a promotion has been made and has it EVER been succesful. I would head for as many experts as possible and take a cross section of advice and make my decisions based on that.

Interesting comparison there mogster :)

I dont know if people here watch European football that much but have a look at Andres Villa Boas, the Porto manager. He started off as Mourinho's analyst, who did his scouting, was then promoted to coach, and now he is the youngest ever Porto manager in their best season in history till date. He's 34. Just look at his body language on the side-line and compare it to the sterile confused, clueless look our manager has on the touchline.

I take your point Bobby. What worries me though is the question that must be running through the minds of our two young recruits Formica and Rochina. If I were them at present I would be sitting in the players seats viewing the game and thinking to myself ....."what have I done??? Do I really want to be part of this shambles?? Where will I ever fit in to this style of play?? etc, etc"

Need to get back to attacking football, playing for draws is suicide.

Straight out of the Ince and Kean textbook. Some people will never learn! The so called attacking football that we have apparently been ordered to play since Allardyce left has seen us glean just 11 points from 11 games and concede 22 goals. The trend line is even worse. Relegation form. If we lose to Fulham and Blackpool then it's game over imo. I simply cannot see us getting more than 4 points from the remaining fixtures.

This was my first match for this season, I decided to travel for the game and I was hugely disappointed by the display, we lack pace and any desire as we all know. The midfield must be the worst I have seen for sometime, limited passing ability and limited work ethic. I was encouraged by young Niko, he clearly has more quality than the other strikers we have at this moment. We must use our quicker players in these away games, MB Diouf could have played on the wing for Hoilett and then Emerton for Salgado.

Watching the game again, we put no pressure on the ball and allowed players to wander forward unmarked..again.

This tells me the players have given up.

We are going down, and after the dross we have seen over the last 3 years (and especially the farce of the last 3 months), I'm not bothered anymore.

Good news for Keith though....his boos at the next home game will be hidden by those for the owners, manager and some of the others like Grella.

By the way. hasn't Jensen had a big effect on things...another Kentaro man I believe!!!

I never though I would say this but what happened to Diego comong?

Straight out of the Ince and Kean textbook. Some people will never learn! The so called attacking football that we have apparently been ordered to play since Allardyce left has seen us glean just 11 points from 11 games and concede 22 goals. The trend line is even worse. Relegation form. If we lose to Fulham and Blackpool then it's game over imo. I simply cannot see us getting more than 4 points from the remaining fixtures.

Well said. 11 points from 33 available and pathetic performances to boot!

Looking at the fixtures it is hard to see where the next points will come from. Even Blackpool at home looks tricky now! Kean's supporters are relying on other teams being too poor to collect and earn any points, which clearly demonstrates just how far we have fallen.

The sad thing being that with a decent manager in charge we would look at many up and coming fixtures with realism and confidence.

I forgot how well Sam's tactics worked on the road.

EDIT: And yesterday was closer to that than it was against Liverpool/WBA.

A credible game plan that is tactically sound with a team selection that makes sense would be a good start. Being able to react to what's going on during the game and make suitable adjustments, rather than standing there like a footballing Nero would also be encouraging.

Archived