BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa Vs Blackburn Rovers

roversmum

I didn't like Allardyce, but I didn't want him sacked in the manner he was. With limited funds, I struggled to think of a decent alternative. I would have stuck with him until the summer.

Anyway, you're just looking to say "I told you so"? The Trust let these idiots take over, it must have been very obvious they they didn't have a clue about football within 5 minutes of meeting them. Their duty of care, whether official or not hasn't been followed. Jack would never have allowed the same of OUR club to these Charlatans.

Please, just don't. This is just sickening to read, makes me angrier than I need to be. I'm just glad I'm reading this off a messageboard where I can cool down a bit.

You, as well as many other posters on here, were one of the biggest proponents of sacking Sam throughout his ENTIRE time with us. The amount of abuse suffered by me at your hands in my consistent support of Sam is ridiculous, especially now when you're coming out with statements like this. I see Plastic Head one of the other huge culprits of this is now suddenly all in support of Sam as well.

I'm sorry, but this just really doesn't sit well with me. You have no place to tell anyone not to have an "I told you so" attitude because they are fully in their right to do so. Currently I am despairing at the current state of our club, I don't need you coming on here and cheapening the views I held so dear by claiming you never supported his sacking. Bullshit.

If you think that fans' opinion didn't play even a small role in some of Venky's decision making then you are kidding yourself. Someone DID speak out against Sam leading to his sacking, the fans had been speaking out for the entire 2 years he was in charge.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The three home games against Blackpool, Birmingham and Bolton will decide our fate. We need at least 7 points from those and probably 9 to be sure. After what I saw today I certainly wouldn't put a penny on us getting anywhere near those point totals.

Today we hit rock bottom. Watching Kean in the dugout was like a re-run of the final days of Paul Ince. The players seem to have no confidence in him and certainly don't appear to be motivated by him. Having finally abandoned the diamond he reverted to the 4-1-4-1 line-up that Sam used. However, whereas Sam tried to get a midfield player to play just behind the lone striker, today we have a flat midfield four who showed no intention of getting anywhere near Santa Cruz. The result was that our 'star' striker was left totally isolated. Indeed, there were times in the first half when it appeared as if the players were afraid to cross the half-way line into Villa territory. Brad didn't have a save to make while Robinson pulled off three excellent saves to keep us in the game at the interval.

After Jones fluffed a good opportunity at the beginning of the second half, Villa broke away and opened the scoring. The penalty was comical in the extreme. Pedersen had time and space to clear the ball but opted to play it back into the Rovers area to Andrews who had a Villa player behind him. Andrews hestitated, the Villa lad nipped in and Andrews brought him down. It would appear that two weeks of intensive coaching from Messrs. Kean and Jensen have done wonders for our decision making. In the first half Pedersen had set up Bent with a lovely through ball - if I hadn't seen it I really wouldn't have believed that it was possible for a player to make such a basic error when under no pressure.

Although all is not lost and survival is very much in our own hands, there needs to be a drastic change of course. The first thing is for El-Hadji Diouf to be brought back from his exile in Scotland. How the likes of Andrews, Grella, Jones and Pedersen can get a midfield spot ahead of Diouf is beyond belief. Perhaps Mr. Kean might like to explain to the paying public why he feels he can do without such a talented individual when we have witnessed the dross we have seen at Villa Park today.

Today was simply awful but, sadly, I can't say that I'll travel to Fulham next week with any belief that the manager can turn it around. I hope he proves me wrong, but on the basis of today I really do fear for our Premiership life under Kean and Jensen.

I can't help thinking that tonight there is a former experienced Ex Premier League manager and well respected former Chairman having either a large glass of Cabernet Sauvignon or a G & T with a bit of a smirk on their face about today's events at our once well-run club. :angry2:

• Backroom

I can't help thinking that tonight there is a former experienced Ex Premier League manager and well respected former Chairman having either a large glass of Cabernet Sauvignon or a G & T with a bit of a smirk on their face about today's events at our once well-run club. :angry2:

Allardyce, possibly. I very much doubt JW is enjoying this at all. He's watching all of his hard work flushed down the toilet.

At least Gamst shares the same opinion as everybody else: http://gamst.co.uk/

For one goal? :wacko:

So Keans comments about the 1 (ONE) goal cost us?

absolute borrocks

We have not won any game this season going behid to the first goal - and I a say again - how many games has Keith Andrews (played) in?

He was awful even before Venkys or Kean were around. I tend to defend the likes of Pederson when he makes mistakes because he has had many good moments for the club and people have short memories. However I cannot remember any such good times from Andrews.

How many games has he played in? Too many. He's downright awful and a liability whenever he plays.

Fair enough other players played badly, the manager was inept, and our owners are completely clueless. It is like having your balls in a vice and being helpless sometimes watching Rovers at the moment. You know it's going to be very painful but can't stop the screw from turning. But, that's no reason to defend a consistently terrible player. The only thing I will give him is he doesn't pick himself. But I'm not exactly cock a hoop with Steve Kean either.

Allardyce, possibly. I very much doubt JW is enjoying this at all. He's watching all of his hard work flushed down the toilet.

I don't think either will be enjoying it to be honest. However, when you have been ditched in such a tacky way there must be a degree of 'over to you and let's see how well you can do then?'.

That's unfair- they both desperately want us to stay up.

Just saw Kean's interview on Sky Sports... "these things happen" in regards to Andrews mistake. YES, STEVE, THEY DO IF YOU PUT KEITH ANDREWS ON THE PITCH.

School kids don't even make that sort of mistake. Not only did he turn towards his own goal line under pressure he then turned towards his own goal and then lost the ball. Pitiful.

Pedersen was pitiful as well. Forever losing possession then jogging back as if he didn't care.

Steve Kean turned into Woy today. Either looking clueless with his arms folded or rubbing his face.

These would be the first three I'd run out of the club.

Most creative thing he's done all day. :rolleyes:

Wasn't only Pedersen though to be fair, don't know why he's been shifted back to the left wing position to be honest, everyone knows his best position is in central midfield.

By 'best' I assume you mean least incompetent?

Most creative thing he's done all day. :rolleyes:

Wasn't only Pedersen though to be fair, don't know why he's been shifted back to the left wing position to be honest, everyone knows his best position is in central midfield.

Just because he's playing on the left shouldn't suddenly mean he cannot pass a ball for 5 yards - he's played there pretty much all his career.

I was going to post my thoughts midway through the second half today, but I felt I should calm down a little before compiling something vaguely sensical/balanced. Sadly, I'm not a great deal calmer, so what will follow will essentially be a rant.

I like to think of myself as a fairly level headed individual, but I do think we will be relegated this season and I think Steve Kean will be responsible for this. He is like a Paul Ince that can talk. Indeed, I listened to Steve Kean on TALKsport yesterday morning and he had some really positive stuff to say and came across as measured and eloquent. Things sounded really rosy at Ewood Park... Sadly, having listened to his interviews before, I knew that he pretty much spouts bullpoo and that there was no real reason for optimism. My negativity stemmed from watching the previous few performances, all of which had bordered on farcical. Apart from a very expensive and thoroughly pointless trip to Dubai, nothing much has changed since the Newcastle match. I have listened to hundreds of manger interviews down the years. I think I'm fairly eloquent and I'm quite sure I could successfully give a few football manager style interviews. How hard can it be?? 'Game of two halves', 'few good touches', 'great week on the training ground', 'ball in the onion bag' etc etc. Sadly for Steve and I, that can only get you so far. Well, in Steve's case it gets you a long-term contract as manager of a Premierleague club and owners that believe you to be the second coming. I, on the other hand, have not had such luck. Anyway, following on from recent performances and knowing that Villa park is a tough place to go, my rather conservative prediction for today was a 4-0 defeat

I changed my prediction to 5-0 after seeing the starting line-up. How he expected to compete with an Aston Villa side full of pace and width with that side is beyond me. Im sure every Rovers fan saw the lineup and knew we were losing today. I really feel for those who went to the match. Poor old Roque alone up front! We didn't have a hope in hell. I think 5 medium to slow paced midfielders is a little too many Steve! (Emerton, Pedersen, Andrews, Grella, JJ). How were we ever going to score? We didn't create a chance in the 1st half. It was terrible! We couldn't keep possession, we couldn't beat a man, we didn't even defend that well. Had it not have been for poor old Robbo we would have been a couple behind at HT. Then up steps KA. Keith Andrews is woefully poor. He was out of his depth when he was at his biological prime playing for a poor Hull City in the Championship and is so far out of his depth in the prem it is untrue. I feel really sorry for him. He will be roundly criticised for his atrocious turn and foul in his own box and his 134 misplaced passes, but he is out of his depth and Keano should receive the criticism for starting him. He proved at MK dons that he is a very decent league 2 player, but he will never be good enough for the prem. He is so slow in body and mind and his touch and skill set is very mediocre. Similar can be said for the rest of the midfield. We looked slow and old and mediocre all over the park. If I had no prior knowledge of either side before the match and someone told me that the team in blue and white were a lower league team facing a prem team I would have thought they were doing a very poor job of it. Also, I really hope Givet was on the bench because he was unfit, because Grant Hanley is not at the required standard.

Im not going to talk about the second half, because I'm becoming progressively more hypertensive as I type. I'll just say this, I have seldom seen such a poor performance from any team. Men against Boys.

Kean just seems so clueless...his line-ups, his tactics, his substitutions and his pressers (which would be good if they were based on reality). The scary thing is that our owners seem to love him as he has good energy. Much like Ince, I would sack him immediately as the performances are so bad. We look like we will concede every time our opponent advances and we don't look like scoring at all. Im all for giving young managers a chance, but performances are so poor under Kean, I don't think there is any hope. We were criticised roundly for sacking Ince when we did, but we had to do it to survive. I think the same thing can be said for Kean. It really saddens me as I'm sure he is a genuine guy and a hard worker, but I can't see how he could ever improve quick enough to turn this around. What might save us is that there are a few decent players in the squad and there is time and enough points on the board to see us comfortably to safety. Alas, possibly not with this management team.

He was awful even before Venkys or Kean were around. I tend to defend the likes of Pederson when he makes mistakes because he has had many good moments for the club and people have short memories. However I cannot remember any such good times from Andrews.

How many games has he played in? Too many. He's downright awful and a liability whenever he plays.

Agree booth , but he's not the reason why we are in the position we are in - nor the reason for the defeat today - he may have had contributed to the downfall but he isn't the sole reason nor should he be the scapegoat.

The writing was on the cards even before a ball was kicked in today's game as it has been for many games - we have gone from the downright negative of Allardyce to the haven't got a clue Kean - now I ask - is that Andrews fault also?

Every fan to a pound knows Andrews is not capable of performing at this level (and he's not the only one) - Keans' comments IMO are far more condemning of somebody (I'll give you one guess' -and he doesn't even know it which is very worrying)than Andrew's misdemeanour, something that at least one of our players has made in any given game this season.

we set out our stall to keep a clean sheet!!! we conceded 4 and should have been down before half time if it wasn't for Robbo!!

I set out to win he lottery every week... I haven't bloody managed that yet either.

Get a manager back in and get Kean back into a coaching position!!!

How about the Administrators compiling a letter of protest to the owners, more a plea really, for them to save our club? Tell them how we feel about the disaster that's engulfing us and then allow members of this Board to attach their signatures and (respectful) comments?

Other than protests and demos at the ground, which will happen sooner or later, its the only thing I can think of. This has Ince again written all over it and there will only be one outcome.

Absolutely garbage performance which started with the awful selection for the team sheet. I've tried to show a lot of faith in Keano, but we deserve to be relegated if we serve up rubbish like that.

Grella and Andrews are completely out of place, RSC needs support up front, Olsson is better on a wing. Etc. Etc. Etc. Get it right, Keano.

Not good at all.

Not saying anything more than this:

1. The manager situation is now under review

2. We will stay up this season.

its not just the manager, its also his number two, and three, that need to go back to their normal jobs aswell.

- If we sacked him would we actually make things worse?

Sorry Bryan, but aint buying that. We are nailed on relegation candidates on this form.

Then again these people have a 100% record of making disastrous decision regarding football managers and number 2's so you may have a point.

Archived