BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venkys wield the axe again

So what's your opinion on that news unsall?

Suppose it's not a big deal,just seems a shame they seem to be changing a lot more things down at Ewood than we thought they would,lets hope this change is for the better......

For me this would be the first piece of positive news under the Rao family. I was concerned when our existing accountants resigned but if this was a face-saving move to allow for KPMG's appointment that seems OK.

A pity fir the local firm and does take something away from the local community though.

Marple leaf broke this more than a week before this story appeared in the LT.

On balance this is very good news although I feel very sorry for the local firm that has lost such a long standing client and the costs will have gone up.

KPMG as part of their audit risk assessment will be reading through the recent press and for sure they will see reference to the Premier League's unease over the conduct of Jerome Anderson and Venky's. They will most certainly have required written assurances as part of their client engagement letter that the club is fully compliant with all football regulations on third party influence, conflicts of interest and employment of agents. If I were KPMG I would also have included a clause on compliance with the betting regulations.

Also as part of the audit risk assessment KPMG must have looked at the League table and required some very real action by Venky's with regards to Rovers not facing administration were we to be relegated. Birmingham City's accounts were qualified because they had no financial plan in the event of relegation so Rovers MUST BE NOW FINANCIALLY SECURE IN THE EVENT OF RELEGATION for KPMG to have accepted the appointment.

The final piece of very good news is that KPMG will be very conscious that Rovers are a £60m turnover company of regional importance and global significance. They would therefore have vetted all the existing directors and the Chairman search to make sure they were comfortable with the client they are taking on. This means the risk that Paul Agnew will be appointed Chairman must be lessened or he has attributes which are far from visible.

Marple leaf broke this more than a week before this story appeared in the LT.

On balance this is very good news although I feel very sorry for the local firm that has lost such a long standing client and the costs will have gone up.

KPMG as part of their audit risk assessment will be reading through the recent press and for sure they will see reference to the Premier League's unease over the conduct of Jerome Anderson and Venky's. They will most certainly have required written assurances as part of their client engagement letter that the club is fully compliant with all football regulations on third party influence, conflicts of interest and employment of agents. If I were KPMG I would also have included a clause on compliance with the betting regulations.

Also as part of the audit risk assessment KPMG must have looked at the League table and required some very real action by Venky's with regards to Rovers not facing administration were we to be relegated. Birmingham City's accounts were qualified because they had no financial plan in the event of relegation so Rovers MUST BE NOW FINANCIALLY SECURE IN THE EVENT OF RELEGATION for KPMG to have accepted the appointment.

The final piece of very good news is that KPMG will be very conscious that Rovers are a £60m turnover company of regional importance and global significance. They would therefore have vetted all the existing directors and the Chairman search to make sure they were comfortable with the client they are taking on. This means the risk that Paul Agnew will be appointed Chairman must be lessened or he has attributes which are far from visible.

Would this also mean the KPMG must also know / believe that venkys are ok financially and can finance the club in case of relegation or would that be a seperate issue.

Although I don't know for sure I would say that KPMG are probably the accountants for the rest of the Venky's businesses so it would be a logical step (the first one?) to appoint them for Rovers as well. Seems reasonable to me.

Archived